Skip to main content.

planet earth
Filer's Files
By George Filer

MUFON Eastern Region Director
May 21, 1998

George Filer:
See all the photos at:


Victor Marchetti says, "We have, indeed, been contacted perhaps even visited by extraterrestrial beings, and the US government, in collusion with the other national powers of the Earth, is determined to keep this information from the general public. Victor Marchetti, former Special Assistant to the Executive Director of the CIA, in an article written by him for Second Look entitled "How the CIA views the UFO Phenomenon", Vol. 1, No 7, May 1979.


I've spent many hours discussing the Roswell case with Dr. James Bond Johnson, who photographed and handled the crash debris. He sent me the following remarkable e mail:

"Modern photo technology has debunked a longtime charge by UFO writers of a blatant "cover-up" by Air Force Lt. General Roger M. Ramey in connection with the sensational Roswell Incident of 1947, which involved the announced "capture" of a crashed UFO. The results of a new digital scan applied to super-enlargements of the famous UFO photos taken by a reporter-photographer for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram show that the debris displayed in General Ramey's 8th Air Force Headquarters office in Fort Worth on July 8, 1947, is clearly consistent with eyewitness descriptions of the world's best-known "flying saucer" which had crashed near Roswell, New Mexico, a few days before and is not a "weather balloon" which had been substituted on orders of General Ramey. This includes clear identification of the "hieroglyphic-like" characters displayed along stick-like structures, including I-beams, and inclusion of very thin, but super strong metal-like material that resisted bending or crumpling. The new photos were specially enlarged from the original Roswell Incident negatives

The resulting new discoveries discredit frequently repeated theories of several UFO writers that General Ramey had concocted the "weather balloon" ruse and then ordered the substitution of the "weather balloon" for the real wreckage, which had been flown secretly to Wright-Patterson Air Force base -- then known as Wright Field -- in Ohio for "further analysis" and where it reportedly has been kept under tight security for more than a half century. The newly obtained, digitally enhanced photographs reveal for the first time that "out of this world" qualities described by Major Jesse A. Marcel, Sr., Intelligence Officer stationed then at Roswell Army Air Base, who retrieved parts of the wreckage of the alleged alien-operated craft, are clearly established in the photos. The photographs were taken by J. Bond Johnson, who had been a reporter for the Star-Telegram since January of 1943. At the time of the Roswell Incident in 1947, Johnson had been discharged from the Army Air Corps after World War II service, which included training as an aircraft mechanic and pilot. He has practiced as a clinical psychologist and United Methodist minister for the past 35 years in Long Beach, California. He also is a retired Army colonel. Upon arrival at General Ramey's office on July 8, 1947, Johnson unpacked portions of the wreckage from its paper wrappings and arranged the pieces for the photos while awaiting the arrival of General Ramey at his office. Johnson then took six shots with General Ramey, Colonel (later Brig. General) Thomas J. Dubose, Ramey's chief of staff, and Major (later Lt. Col.) Marcel, who had couriered the wreckage from Roswell to Ramey's headquarters in Fort Worth. Other packages of the wreckage, still unopened, also appear in the photos. The frequently quoted descriptions by Marcel, and repeated by Marcel's son, Dr. Jesse A. Marcel, Jr., an Army helicopter pilot and flight surgeon, who was shown some of the wreckage parts by his dad prior to their being turned over to the Roswell base commander, are further corroborated by civilian eye witnesses who were employees of the Brazell Ranch 85 miles northwest of Roswell, where the craft crashed, and some of their neighbors.

The witnesses described the wreckage as including material that was "very lightweight, lead foil-like, very thin, metallic-like but not metal, and very tough." It also included very light "balsa-wood appearing sticks," including I-beams, some of which included "hieroglyphic-like" characters, possibly depicting some unknown writing. One witness described the "figures" as similar to the petroglyphs the ancient Native Americans etched on rocks in the Roswell area. Further, the witnesses described that some of the material, even though very thin, when crushed tended to "smooth-out" when released. There also was a quantity of black plastic looking material "which looked organic in nature that had either been melted or burned." Johnson also described the strong odor of burned debris when he was in the general's office with the wreckage. When questioned in 1979, Marcel -- who retired from the Air Force as a Lt. Colonel -- described the unusual markings on the sticks as "like Chinese writing....nothing you could make any sense out of." In his interviews Marcel stated that "they took one photo of me on the floor holding up some of the less-interesting metallic debris...pieces of the actual stuff we had found." Marcel said that the debris was scattered over a square mile of a ranch near Roswell. "It was something that must have exploded above ground and scattered all over."

The new digitally enhanced super-enlargements clearly show the strange metallic debris as described, including some thin metal-like parts, which are quite rigid and smooth, and the I-beams identical with the witnesses' descriptions. Marcel stated that the solid members were mostly square, "of varied lengths, and along the length of some of those they had little markings...two color markings as I can Chinese writing." His son described the markings as "flower-like" figures printed along the sticks. Yet for nearly 20 years UFO writers have claimed that the Air Corps engaged in a dramatic fraud to protect the UFO wreckage from Roswell and to mislead the press -- and the American public. The story concocted by the writers tell it generally this way:

When Marcell turned the portions of the UFO wreckage he had recovered over to his base commander, Colonel William Blanchard. Blanchard then dispatched an official public announcement that the Air Corps had "captured" a flying saucer. Blanchard then notified his boss, General Ramey, of the "capture." For some unknown reason, Ramey concocted a dramatic hoax. He sent the real UFO wreckage directly to Wright Field for study and ordered the burning of a weather balloon and Rawin target. The, he sent this debris as a fraudulent substitute along with Major Marcel to 8th Air Force Headquarters in Fort Worth. There, the bogus material was displayed in Ramey's office and the Star-Telegram was invited to send out a reporter-photographer to cover the story. Johnson was selected and dispatched by his editor with camera in hand. When Ramey told Johnson that he didn't know what the unimpressive looking debris was, Johnson took his pictures and left. No other media representatives were allowed to view the debris or to take any pictures. All these exotic actions were taken solely to mislead and misinform one 21-year- old photographer-reporter. Later that day, Ramey summoned a weather officer, Warrant Officer Irving Newton, and instructed him to agree that the debris in Ramey's office was only a "weather balloon" and Newton was then photographed holding portions of this debris. General Ramey then quickly went to a Fort Worth radio station and announced that his weather officer had decided that the Roswell crash was only a weather balloon with an attached radar target. Also, a news release was distributed to the press containing this false information. The press and the American public accepted the bogus story based on the word of a distinguished war-hero general. There never has been any reason given as to why Ramey would take such a drastic and risky action to deceive the press and the public in this very dramatic way.

Roswell writers generally have continued to repeat the "balloon switch" fable. Nevertheless, Lt. Col. Marcel contended until his death in 1986 that the material he recovered and which he posed with in Ramey's office was "not part of any kind of weather balloon or experimental craft ... it was not made of anything available on earth." This description also has been corroborated by the civilian primary witnesses.

Likewise, General Dubose was very clear when interviewed by UFO researcher Jaime Shandera. When asked to describe details of the photo session in General Ramey's office Dubose made the following statements:

Shandera: J. Bond Johnson, reporter for the Fort Worth-StarTelegram, has stated that when he asked General Ramey what this debris was, Ramey said that he didn't know. You were present in that room at that time. Also, the Associated Press had carried a story indicating that General Ramey didn't know what the debris was when talking to (Air Corps Chief of Staff) General (Hoyt) Vandenberg in Washington."

Dubose: "Well, that's true. None of us knew what it was."

Shandera: "There are two researchers (Don Schmitt and Kevin Randle) who are presently saying that the debris in General Ramey's office had been switched and that you men had a weather balloon there."

Dubose: "Oh Bull! That material was never switched."

Shandera: "So what you're saying is that the material in General Ramey's office was the actual debris brought in from Roswell?"

Dubose: "That's absolutely right."

Shandera: "So not you or anyone else ever switched that material for the cover story."

Dubose: "We never switched anything. We were under orders from Washington to look at that material. We wouldn't have switched anything. We were West Pointers -- we would never have done that."

Shandera: "But General Ramey did put out a cover story that it was a weather device."

Dubose: "Yes. We were ordered to get the press off our backs -- things were getting out of hand."

Memories of witnesses may dim over the span of half a century and more. But West Pointer General Dubose remembered that day in July of 1947 very accurately it now appears. But digitally enhanced, super-enlarged photos taken by a 21-year-old reporter-photographer provide even a more convincing record. The debris of the Roswell crash photographed in General Ramey's office is indeed genuine. General Ramey, General Dubose and Lt. Colonel Marcel all were telling the truth about the Roswell Incident of 1947. Their reputations remain intact! Thanks to James Bond Johnson.

Editor's Note: I feel it is important that these new revelations come out about the debris photos . I look forward to seeing the digitally enhanced images and the odd looking material that apparently is not part of the Mogul Balloon train! The photographer, Dr. Johnson told me some of the material was like modern plastic, that evidently was not available in 1947. It's nice to recognize the officers involved were telling the truth.


Investigation continues into the sightings in Mulica Hill on May 9, 1998. The craft hovering over the area is described as a triangular shaped craft by three witnesses. The possible landing zone was erased by the plowing of the farmer's field. There is evidence developing that this case could include abductions. Although, abductions are controversial even in the field of ufology, it is our mission to prove that the abductions are real or some other type of phenomena. I have every indication these people are honest and they have startling unexplained memories of seeing aliens. There has been no hypnosis, yet the mother and son can remember being taken and being on board a strange craft. She describes tremendous forces of acceleration, throwing her head back as the craft gained speed. In Dr. David Jacob's book the Threat, the Temple University professor claims we are in a battle for the ultimate control of Earth. It is easy to dismiss this as all nonsense until you investigate and talk to the abductees with an open mind.

Abductees are on the front lines in this battle and feel they are being taken on a regular basis. Often their lives are in turmoil and they spend most of their waking hours worrying about the affects on their families. The testimony of many witnesses who have unexplained scars on their bodies does not seem to provide enough proof to validate their claims. Yet the same people would probably be believed in a court of law, if they were witnesses against a murderer or intruder. I'm not aware of any abduction being proven at least to the satisfaction of the authorities. The identity of the abductees can remain confidential, but we need to attempt to prove the abductions are occurring. Once that is established, we can take realistic countermeasures to stop the abductions. My experience has been that the abductees seem honest and are generally fine group of people. They are calling for help but, our society is not really listening. Most abductees have been afraid to reach out, and go to the authorities because they feel they won't be believed. The situation is not too different from sexual abuse of children. For years children claimed they were the victims or abuse but they were generally not believed. However, proof of sexual abuse can now be proven and I feel we can verify the abduction scenario in the near future.

Frankly, we need cooperation from science, the medical field, legal advice, inquiring news media, police and public authorities. Many police for example are joining MUFON, Skywatch and similar organizations. Abductees and families of abductees need to unite and visit the authorities despite embarrassment. You can intelligently explain you believe you have prowlers on your property on a regular basis and you would like your home watched particularly at night. Further, you may request all unusual reports concerning your neighborhood. Dr. John Mack's book, Abductions or Dr. David Jacobs books can be helpful to leave with anyone in authority such as your mayor, police chief or doctor.

The abductee is in a difficult situation. Most people just don't believe their story. Fantastic stories require particularly good evidence. We are starting to get some preliminary evidence. We have watched abductees homes and placed video cameras in their bedrooms. Only an electrical-plasma or light has been observed. Video cameras, alarms and similar devices seem to slow the number of abductions but, I've never seen a video of an alien. We're told the aliens catch on pretty fast and do everything possible to maintain their secrecy. So we must use various counter-measures and new techniques to out smart them.

If you feel you are an abductee, we encourage you to join support groups. I encourage discovery of scientific methods to prove the abductions. Most people can obtain medical care free or through their insurance. As a patient you can demand blood tests, and a complete medical check up including photos of the body. At least all scars should be noted in your records. Women should have OB-GYN exams. Attempt to keep careful daily records concerning your body and pregnancies. Consider your bedroom as a crime scene and attempt to collect evidence. If you suspect an abduction your night clothes should be placed in a ziplock bag for laboratory analysis. If there is any evidence in it is likely to be small or microscopic. A wooden spoon and small glass jars are useful for collecting samples of strange marks, powders. We have strong indications of radiation and strong electromagnetic effects surrounding an abduction. There does seem to be some type of radiation on board these craft. Medical tests may discover anomalies, unusual blood results and we may get a surprise. This is a type of evidence that can be very powerful in court. So keep up the good fight.


On Tuesday May 5, 1998, at 7:30PM, a former eight-year Air Force veteran reports seeing a strange "star-like" object moving strangely. The witness, now a college-educated chief electrician, who lives near Corinth in southeastern Heard County said he is certain that what he saw was not a planet, star, meteorite, satellite or man-made aircraft. Looking to the west he saw the blue light for about 5 minutes at 50 degrees above the horizon. The UFO then took "1-1 1/2 minutes" to move to the northwest and while moving changed color to red. Sitting there for 30 seconds, the UFO went straight up to approximately 60 degrees above the horizon. While moving it "faded" to a yellow color. After another 30 seconds the UFO started moving again. This time it took nearly a minute to go to the north and stayed there for nearly 5 minutes and turned to a "illuminated green" color. The UFO finally "circled back" to an orientation that was just south of where it had started moving and took nearly 5 minutes to reach this point. The witness said he continued to watch the strange light until 8PM. The UFO was still there at about a 250-260 degrees azimuth and at about 60 degrees above the horizon. It was the Air Force veteran's impression that the UFO was not in our atmosphere and was surveying an area in Alabama. Thanks to John Thompson


On Tuesday, May 12, 1998 a triangle shaped craft was seen hovering over the Gulf of Mexico for several minutes near Ft. Walton Beach. Three lights were visible on all three points of the triangle as well as a single beam of light that was shining down to the surface of the water. Four air force jets (probably from near by Eglin AFB) were also seen attempting to intercept the craft which immediately left the area. The next day "frogmen" were seen in the area where the light had been seen shining down to the ocean. This was witnessed by numerous people both from shore as well as individuals on a sail boat around 10:00 to 11:00 PM. Thanks to C. Leigh Culver ISUR. Editor's note: The Air Force claims that C-130 aircraft were dropping flares and conducting exercises on the nights of May 12, 13, and 14 and that may have caused confusion regarding the sightings. The investigation will continue.


Skywatch's Doug Parrish reports that at 10:31 p.m. ET on May 19, 1998 a point of light the size of a star was seen moving slowly across the sky above Howell, MI, (55 miles NW of Detroit). The altitude of the light was approximately 85 degrees in the NE sky, almost overhead. Upon being observed, the point of light immediately started to glow brighter until in less than 2 seconds time it had become as bright as, if not brighter than, the sun at noon. Since it was only a point of light, it did not cast any appreciable shadow on the residential landscape. Once I had "acknowledged" the light as having been seen, it started to diminish in brightness and in a time span of five seconds, it had dimmed into invisibility. The light was moving slowly directly south. The entire observation lasted less than 10 seconds. The distance covered in that time was equivalent to the thumb and the index finger held at arm's length and spread apart by 7 inches. The temperature was 73 degrees with a clear sky. No noise was heard and there were no running lights. The sun had set about 8:55 p.m., so I immediately suspected the transpolar satellite, but satellites slip in and out of the Earth's shadow over a much greater expanse of sky. This is the second such observation of almost exactly the same nature and description, and even seen in the same spot in the sky. The first observation was on Labor Day evening in September, 1997. Thanks to Doug Parrish Michigan Director / Skywatch International


The May 2, 1998, a flying saucer has been reported again 150 miles away from the first sighting.. This UFO seems to be confined to the East Gippsland district in Victoria, Australia. The craft was again sighted on May 8, 1998, and appeared to have US Air Force markings on its side. More later. Thanks to Ross Dowe


Donald Slayton a Mercury astronaut revealed in an interview he had seen UFOs in 1951: "I was testing a P-51 fighter in Minneapolis when I spotted this object. I was at about 10,000 feet on a nice, bright, sunny afternoon. I thought the object was a kite, then I realized that no kite is gonna fly that high." As I got closer it looked like a weather balloon, gray and about three feet in diameter. But as soon as I got behind the darn thing it didn't look like a balloon anymore. It looked like a saucer, a disk. About the same time, I realized that it was suddenly going away from me -- and there I was, running at about 300 miles per hour. I tracked it for a little way, and then all of a sudden the damn thing just took off. It pulled about a 45 degree climbing turn and accelerated and just flat disappeared." Eric Howarth TheBlackVault

If you enjoy Filer's Files every week and want to support my efforts, please make a donation via PayPal
I am offering fourteen years of Filer's Files on a DVD with thousands of photographs and sightings for a donation of $50 that includes this year's subscription. Please include your e-mail address and mailing address.

Send your comments and reports to George Filer, at

George A. Filer and

Please subscribe or see the Filer's Files website for images in this weeks issue.