Skip to main content.

planet earth
Filer's Files
By George Filer

MUFON Eastern Region Director
June 18, 1998

George Filer:
See all the photos at:

Sightings increase in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Georgia!


Alex Cavallari reports he photographed a UFO over the Sheepshead Bay area of Brooklyn on May 28, 1998. The 747 jet aircraft in the picture had just departed Kennedy Airport and is climbing and turning towards the southeast. As it slowly flew overhead, I noticed the UFO enter the camera view finder, and I took this picture. I tried to take more pictures as fast as the camera would take them. However, the UFO was traveling at a great rate of speed and was out of my field of vision within two seconds. By the time I took the next picture the UFO was gone. The UFO appeared to be a gray or silver colored spherical orb shaped craft. There was no tail or smear seen during the filming, but the picture shows a tail or smear behind the UFO. The UFO traveled north toward New York City. I believe the craft was about 50 to 75 feet in diameter. It appeared much rounder or spherical when viewed even though the picture shows it to be more donut shaped. I believe this difference in appearance is possibly due to the high speed of the craft. The film and camera were too slow in response time to capture the craft's image in a still or motionless position. This is what produced the motion blur seen behind this craft. It is also possible that the tail or smear is some form of plasma or vapor emission that the film captured. This picture clearly shows a craft of unknown origin flying within 500 feet to commercial air traffic. This UFO flew within one half mile of this aircraft and within ten miles of Kennedy Airport at about 10,000 feet in altitude. The UFO flight path flew over Kennedy (NY), La Guardia (NY), and Newark (NJ) airports. The flight path this UFO took put it within about ten miles of all three airports at some time during its flight. The UFO passed within one half mile of this aircraft and almost directly over it. The UFO may have been traveling faster then our airport radar systems can image. These UFO flights present a hazard to flight. It was a hazy day with temperature in the mid 70's (*F). The camera was a Minolta Freedom Zoom 90C, using Kodak ASA 400 color film. The photo can be seen at: Thanks to Alex Cavalari NY State Director Investigator Skywatch International Inc.


Investigator Evelyn Galson reports on an update on the Mullica Hill family who has had several sightings and odd occurrences in recent weeks. On Tuesday, June 9, 1998, a meeting of local MUFON members was held at the Glouceseter County Library in Mullica Hill. A mile a way, and an hour earlier a grayish circular UFO was observed hovering over a row of trees behind their home. David, a ten year boy spotted the craft at 6:30 P.M.. His father and later his mother also observed the craft for an extended period of time. The mother has been trying not to think about these things, so she hesitated in coming outside right away. The craft moved up and down and very, very slowly in an erratic fashion. The home is backs up to a large farmer's field. They viewed the UFO for 30 minutes, but it stayed there for a longer period of time. The UFO hovered in a position ten miles south of the Philadelphia Airport just above a treeline about 200 yards away. The craft was as big as a quarter held at arm's length. When an aircraft flew near the UFO, it would descend below the level of the trees. Once the plane passed overhead and was gone, the UFO went back to the previous higher altitude. It again lowered below tree top level, when a helicopter passed and rose again to the previous altitude after it departed. On Friday, June 12, 1998, David's mother found two circles on her ten year old son's face. The marks are located in the muccobucco fold, which is the area between his mouth and cheek. Several weeks ago I examined the boys face and the scars were not apparent. These are new scars, that are each one centimeter in size. Several members of the family have silver fluorescence marks on their skin. (Also see last article)


Stan Gordon reports that a UFO was spotted at 10:20 P.M., on June 10, 1998, over Bethel Park, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The witness first observed a bright round light with a yellow coloring around the outside edge, moving from the northwest to southeast. A few seconds later, it was followed by an identical light that moved in the same direction. Seconds later a third similar light followed the same path, then disappeared in seconds just like the other two. About five minutes later, a fourth light moved from west to east and disappeared in seconds. This was succeeded by a fifth light, which also moved from west to east and disappeared in a few seconds. The strange thing about the observation was that all five lights seemed to disappear in the same position of the sky. The first thee lights appeared to be evenly spaced in time, appearing one behind the other. There was no smoke trail or other emissions associated with the round lights. No sound was apparent. Thanks to: Stan Gordon, P.O. Box 936, Greensburg, PA 15601.

Dan Hageman of the Butler Organization For Research of the Unexplained (BORU) in Butler County, PA. BORU is investigating a low level UFO incident that occurred. on May 7, 1998. A Butler County farmer was riding his tractor doing some late night planting of a corn field at 3:30 A.M. Three hundred yards away he noticed brilliant lights near a wheat field. At first he became upset thinking that someone was driving through the wheat. He realized the object was moving about four feet above the ground. It was 30 to 40 feet long and about five feet in height. The object was a dark color and was hovering over his wheat field. It was domed shaped in the front with a lights, but the structure thinned out towards the back and rounded off. Towards the front section of the object, there were five to six lights along the edge on both sides. There was also five lights on either side near the rear of the object. The square shaped lights were very bright orange, blue and light pink. The lights seemed to pulsate on and off, but never cut out completely. The entire object appeared to be surrounded in a vapor or gas. As the witness was turning to make another pass of the field, he began to have problems with his tractor. The engine began to sputter, but did not stop. A monitor on the tractor used for corn planting made a constant beeping noise and had to be shut down. As the farmer watched, the object moved in a straight line, barely clearing the tree tops estimated at 60 feet high. Then suddenly the object appeared to evaporate into thin air. There are high tension powerlines in the vicinity. Soil samples are being analyzed in a local laboratory. Butler County has had UFO events since the late 1960's. Thanks to Stan Gordon, his UFO Hotline is 724-838-7768,


MUFON's John C. Thompson reports a UFO sighting during the evening of June 13, 1998. The object was traveling in a line at a very slight arc at 3000 to 4000 feet altitude. It appeared to be at a level compared to the planes that land at GSP, twenty miles away. Using an angle of sight when the object was at its closest, and an apparent size of 3 mm calculates out to about 20 feet in diameter. An estimate of distance covered in 55 to 60 seconds indicates the object was traveling between 500 to 600 mph. The object seemed to have a more defined outline at the front than at the rear, but it was oval in shape and there was no vapor trail. Thanks to, Terry Kimbrell at

John Thompson writes, ‘My mail had a mother's written account and drawings' signed by two boys who saw a UFO on Sunday, June 7, 1998, at 10:00 PM.' The twelve years old boys saw the UFO while lying outside on their backs on a trampoline. The drawings that the two friends made show a white non-blinking light with a red glow around it moving south. The sighting took place near the Troup-Harris County line and is on the same road where two other UFOs were seen in recent years. During a phone interview, one of the boys said, 'They saw the light move for about 15 seconds before it disappeared. It was much higher than a commercial airliner and had the apparent size of the brightest stars but was smaller than Venus.' The impression given by the boy is that this UFO was as high as a satellite orbit. The red glow around the light suggests some kind of artificial object or meteorite entering our atmosphere. Thanks to John Thompson.

On June 16, 1998, the owner of a local garage and large taxi company in LaGrange reported seeing what I have dubbed, a "weather UFO." The witness said he was stopped at the intersection of Colquitte Street and Ogletree Street, at 12:10 AM facing west, when he saw a "rolling fireball" come across Colquitte street going northeast. The "fire-engine red ball" was of compact "car size" and was at an elevation of 100 feet high and only 150 feet away. It moved at a speed in excess of "a 100 mph." The two second sighting took place when a violent storm system moved through West Georgia. The 50-80 mph winds accompanying the wide weather front uprooted trees and downed power-lines in LaGrange and the surrounding area. Power was out until the next morning. The fiery plasma ball made a "roaring noise." It was his impression that the ball was more of a heat-related as opposed to an electrical nature. No area near the "fireball" was seen to burn. The ball seemed to track from the storm area as it came out of the southwest. A 90 foot tall sycamore, the tallest tree around, was uprooted under the path of the low-flying fireball. The garage owner's business, also in the track of the fireball, had roof damage. Unfortunately, since it was dark when this sighting took place it is not know for certain if this damage was caused by the fireball or had occurred earlier when the storm first hit LaGrange. A similar incident occurred last April when a ‘weather UFOs' appeared to hit immediately before a large storm front moved into our an area. Both the National Hurricane Center in Miami, and the National Weather Service in Peachtree City, Georgia said they had never heard of fireballs being generated by large storms. Meteorologist Scott Carroll thought, perhaps, the witness saw ball lightning or an electrical discharge from power lines during the storm. However, La Grange Old-timers have said that these balls "lead" storms and on touching anything explode with tremendous fury. A strange, giant, inverted cone-shaped UFO that changed color in a repeatable fashion was seen in October of 1995 by several witnesses when Hurricane Opal moved through LaGrange. Thanks to John Thompson.


On Wednesday, June 14, 1998, at about 8:34 PM, Pappie and son were parked beside a country road two miles west of Leander skywatching. They saw two lights in the clear sky that traveled at a steady speed. One crossed the entire sky moving towards the southwest. The other was traveling in a southern direction. The son witnessed a third light. Each light was seen within the same minute. The first two seemed to cross each other. All were too low to be satellites. The lights were not aircraft. A valley close by was lit up from the ground for about five seconds with a light blue colored light. The illuminated area covered about a football field. Then, a scream was heard from the woods to their southwest Rapid movement was heard in the woods traveling from southwest to south east. In about four seconds, a scream came from the southeast. No human could have traveled that distance in that amount of time. The scream did not sound human. Thanks to Pappie and Skywatch International Inc.


Sean Malloy in Saskatchewan reports seeing a strange greenish glow that became an almost white disc at 12:30 AM on June 15, 1998. It moved sporadically and quickly across the sky. It made a very frightening a whining sound. Thanks to Sean Malloy


The Daily Telegraph Saturday, 13 June 1998. A meteor speeding across the night sky prompted a UFO alert across England, yesterday. Police forces in at least eight counties received calls from hundreds of onlookers who saw bright blue lights travelling from Devon to the Midlands. The British Astronomical Association confirmed that the speeding object was a meteor, the result of cosmic debris burning up in the Earth's atmosphere. Howard Miles, spokesman, said; ‘it was quite spectacular, crossing the sky at about midnight and fragmenting as it burnt up in the atmosphere, causing bright sparks.' "It appears to have been a meteor, which burned up before it reached the ground." It was seen across Shropshire, Deryshire, Berkshire, Sussex, Hampshire, Gloucestershire and North Wales. A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said, "People told us they had seen a single, blue light that was bigger than a car. Some people described a tail behind the light, while others said it looked like it was burning or flaming." A Ministry of Defence spokesman said, "We are satisfied this was a meteor which broke up on entering the Earth's atmosphere, causing the bright glow, which people saw." Jon Jennings says, "I have it from a reliable source, a pair of Tornado's fighters were sent to investigate." Thanks to Jon Jennings


On the May 8, 1998, edition of Hard Copy featured a UFO story with a sensational shot of aliens looking out window of the craft. The footage was first aired nation wide on Strange Universe on November 24, 1997. The footage was apparently shot on a Super 8 film camera by Dorothy Izatt. Dorothy claims to have been in contact with the aliens for over 25 years. She shot several hundred rolls of Super 8 film of UFOs. Her previous film footage has never been explained. Her most remarkable piece of footage is of what shows a Grey looking out the window. During this recent sighting Dorothy started filming a diamond shaped UFO and asked if the aliens could come closer, and they did. She could see a couple of Grey aliens looking out a window of the space ship . She asked them if they could turn their bright lights off so she could film them, and they did. The light turns off in a bizarre flash. Then a small square window appears and a classic Grey alien figure is clearly seen and appears to turn its head. At least one of the aliens looks out the window. He has a very long thin neck, a bulbous head with oversized black eyes. The alien appears have be clothed in a white cloth like gown. Another Grey is seen about five feet behind the Grey in the front, and there might be a third Grey to the right partly behind the window. Also seen on the footage is a strobe light above the this window. Could this be a hoax? Not so according to UFO Researchers Peter Guttila and Monica Ward they have studied this film and other films by Dorothy Izatt. The investigators plan to write about book about these sightings. If this video is authentic we can conclude that some UFOs are alien space craft unless you think the government is flying around in UFOs with Grey costumes. If it's a hoax it's an elaborate one for a 75 year old lady to make. I urge you to visit Tom King's web site and decide for yourself OVNI Chapterhouse. Thanks to Bob Collins


Or Much Ado About Nothing? By Ronald S. Regehr
The Internet is a buzz with all manner of stories related to the latest efforts of some to discern, once and for all, whether or not the (in)famous photographs of the "Roswell Debris" taken on that fateful July 8, 1947 afternoon by James Bond Johnson do or do not include strange images reminiscent of those reported by both Major Jesse Marcel and his son, Jesse Marcel, Jr. that started it all? And what is the current status of the investigation? That is the subject of this article. My involvement began innocently enough when I received a call from Debbie Stock telling me that one of our previous speakers, J. Bond had recently discerned "symbols" on a large- format (11x14) print of one of the photos he had taken many years ago. These "symbols" seemed to him to vindicate Gen. Roger Ramey of any wrong-doing. Ramey has long been accused of swapping some junk for the actual debris transported from Roswell to Ft. Worth by Major Marcel. We met at a local restaurant, had a good lunch, and proceeded to discuss the events surrounding Bond's involvement with Roswell, UFOs, and the photographs of the alleged crashed UFO debris. A cursory examination of the photograph sometimes referred to as "Marcel Right" (indicating Marcel is looking to his right) did show several items of interest: what can be described as an "I" beam, a "chrome" strip, a pile of baseball-sized black "chunks" of black stuff, Major Marcel's scuffed "boondockers", and most significantly what appeared to be some raised marks on one of the pieces of debris. Bond stated he was reluctant to become embroiled in further controversy, and that the information on the photographs should be allowed to stand or fall on its own merits and not rely on memories of events 50+years past. He then asked Debbie and I to head the analysis, with his assistance, where needed. We then went to a local STAPLES supply store to obtain preliminary copies from Bond's "master." When we asked for their finest reproductions, the clerk told us those would be from their digital laser color-copy machine. We ordered the copies and 5X enlargements of the area containing the "marks." I then went home and wrote a press release under my company's name (Research/Investigations). The press release was sent to UPI, AP, Reuters, and ? On Monday, I ordered two 16 x 20 copies of each of the four negatives from the University of Texas. Current plans are to produce a large-format negative from the prints to use for further analysis, protecting my "originals" for further use. In addition, I spoke with Don Berliner and requested that Dr. Maccabee, Maryland MUFON State Director, perform sufficient image enhancement as he deems necessary to validate or to repudiate the indication of "marks" and other anomalous items in the photographs. Will the analysis of these photographs be "the answer" to the Roswell mystery. Or with they only prove to be just more salt in the otherwise pungent brew known as the Roswell Incident? What have we discovered to date? My first area of research was to review the USAF record and explanation of their claims-that the debris was actually the remains of a crashed Project Mogul balloon. This proved interesting, but not surprising. Their records indicate that there is no Mogul balloon that could have been the source of the debris. Further, an official drawing of a Rawin radar reflector indicated that the Rawin did not have any material that could be mistaken for a "chrome strip" or an "I" beam. What did Bond unpack and strew over Gen. Ramey's floor that fateful afternoon? We'll let you know as soon as we find some definitive answers. Until then, relish in speculation. Thanks to Ron Regehr. Editors Note: Our enhancement of the photographs has revealed two possible symbols and markings such as< 22. This appears to be a carpenter's marking used in the construction of the object.


Donna Bahor writes that she had glow marks on her arm that were about three inches long and a magic marker wide. Under a magnifying glass the mark looked like a zipper. She also had a similar mark on her thigh. There was a similar cluster of marks on the bottom of her feet. Donna states, "My feet had been cut and connected back together some how. Some of the areas were coming apart. My husband didn't take seeing this too well and I was worried, because the seams were coming apart. My physician started doing laser surgery and he told me that there is glowing, but that this glowing can be wiped off. He also said that there is different type of laser surgery." Thanks to Donna Bahor,

Eve Frances Lorgen writes: Have any results come back from the silver powder analysis? Did this material leech into the skin subdermally? Were any other colors of fluorescence observed post abduction? Check the person periodically for fluorescence even if she does not think she is been abducted. Also was this silver material found anywhere else like on bedroom furniture? It makes me wonder what kinds of chemical and even quantum energetic modifications can take place when the abductee is transferred through walls or glass. In two cases a different kind of fluorescence (light green and greenish yellow) was observed right before or as the aliens entered. In one case the fluorescence was like a smoke or gas running through the ceiling downward, as if responding to gravity and the wall surface as smoke would. In the other case the residue was seen rising above the floor about six inches, yet staying low to the ground before finally dissolving and disappearing. This occurred as the aliens just arrived. Other fluorescence is subdermal on abductees' bodies, sometimes in designs or brand marks, or where aliens handled them. I think there are several etiologies with this. The silver stuff you observed is different from ours. Thanks to: Eve Frances Lorgen LORGEN Editors Note: We are waiting for laboratory results that will take several weeks.

If you enjoy Filer's Files every week and want to support my efforts, please make a donation via PayPal
I am offering fourteen years of Filer's Files on a DVD with thousands of photographs and sightings for a donation of $50 that includes this year's subscription. Please include your e-mail address and mailing address.

Convey your reports and e-mail to George Filer at

George A. Filer and

Please subscribe or see the Filer's Files website for images in this weeks issue.