Skip to main content.

planet earth
Filer's Files
By George Filer

MUFON Eastern Region Director
March 28, 2000

George Filer:
See all the photos at:


The story continues to persist that an alien vehicle crashed near Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. Several teams of researchers are racing the clock to reach witnesses before they pass away. The Air Force claims that a Mogul Balloon train with radar reflectors was responsible for the many legends surrounding the crash. Some claim that people from Roswell even made up the story to save a dying town and to keep tourism alive. Most of the key witnesses lived around Roswell and had financial reasons for keeping the story going. The new witness is from Texas so these accusations do not include him.


Investigator Tom Carey writes: "Don Schmitt and I have just returned from an eight-day research trip to New Mexico and Texas. On this trip, we spent an entire day on the Plains of San Agustin looking again at the Barney Barnett story of an alleged UFO crash there in 1947. We believe that we have broken new ground on this case and may have solved it. More about this at a future time. We traveled to El Paso, Texas to interview a new first-hand eyewitness at the 1947 UFO crash site outside of Roswell. Now 83 years-old, Tex (synonym) was a civilian working for the military at the time and describes the crash scene thusly:

Tex said that as they approached the crash site, he started noticing pieces of silvery-like metal on the ground. It was light and very hard. On one of the pieces [not an I-beam structure as described by Jess Marcel, Jr.] he noticed strange symbols, like "hieroglyphics", on it. He and the two NCOs in his vehicle picked up some of the pieces, but the debris was taken away from them by the military before they departed the scene. The witness stated, "The craft resembled something that reminded me of something I saw on the old Buck Rogers serials. It was tear-drop-shaped with stubby curved-back wings, which gave it a scalloped-shape in back. It was small, about twenty-feet long by about 12-14 feet wide. It had a dark canopy in front which was open.

In the canopy were two 'beings'. One was slumped over but still alive, and the other was standing up in the canopy looking at us as we approached. There was a third one, dead, which was curled up on its side at the base of the small hill that the craft had hit. It had apparently been thrown from the ship. I did not get a real close look at them, as I was about 15 feet from them. One of the NCOs in my group had gone ahead of the rest of us and shouted back to us, 'They're aliens', and we knew he wasn't talking about Mexicans. They were small with grayish/greenish skin. Large heads, small noses and ears but with a small lobe of flesh near the ears. Had about 1-2 inch slit for a mouth? The eyes were dark- not black-and slanted but not like those big black eyes that you see on book covers and in pictures. I couldn't tell their uniforms -- if they had uniforms -- from their skin. I also cannot recall their hands or feet as the one curled up was too far away and being halfway inside the ship obscured the other two. I heard later from another NCO involved in the recovery that there were two more 'beings' found dead further inside the ship. We left shortly after the recovery began. I noticed that the two 'beings' that were still alive were also placed in body-bags as was the one dead one that I could see. After returning to base, we were told not to talk about what we had seen and made to sign a nondisclosure form of some sort. By my calculation, the nondisclosure agreement ran out a few years ago. That's why I am talking now." This witness was found in good health living comfortably in El Paso. He was an electrical engineer at the time of the Roswell Incident. George, you have my permission to use this for your "Filer's Files". Thanks to: Tom Carey TCarey1947

Editor's Note: This new witness is very significant. He verifies much of the what other Roswell witnesses have reported and that the debris had strange writing on it.


There are several independent teams now researching photographs taken by James Bond Johnson in General Ramey's office in 1947. Of particular interest is a message held in General Ramey's hand as he posed in front of debris. These photographs are important because their authenticity has never been questioned by the government. The government maintains the debris is a RAWIN radar reflector similar to a box kite. The Roswell Photographic Interpretation Team (RPIT) team believes that the material is thicker than kite like panels. Niel Morris and other researchers claim to see evidence of "Hieroglyphic like writing" on the debris. Blow ups of the photographs are being analyzed and attempts to read the message are meeting with some success. Due to the lighting and the way the message is bent not all the words can be read. Although there is some controversy between interpretations of particular words the overall meaning implies that a wreck with victims was found.



UK Sunday Times printed the following story March 26, 2000, by Jonathan Leake, Science Editor, Saucerful of Secrets: The disc-shaped Avro plane was intended to fly at 2,500mph. It is the nearest the RAF got to a UFO. Recently discovered photographs taken at a secret laboratory in the 1950s reveal for the first time how close Britain came to developing a saucer-shaped stealth fighter after the second world war. The pictures, taken at a research center in Canada, show a revolutionary ultra-high-speed jet fighter designed by the British engineer John Frost. Aviation experts who studied the pictures last week said the jet incorporated some of the features on America's stealth fighter plane. Work on the aircraft in the 1950s was codenamed Project Y. Frost and his team initially set out to build a disc-shaped machine with vertical takeoff, but ended with a sleek, arch-shaped aircraft. "The pictures are a wonderful find," said David Windle, who has researched the history of Project Y. "It is technology that Britain just lost and it is a pity the project was abandoned. Who knows what would have happened if they had pursued it." The photographs were taken at a laboratory in Malton, near Toronto, where Frost was Alex Raeburn, then assistant superintendent of manufacturing at Avro, described the life of secrecy for those on the base. "The security was very tight," he says. "Armed guards were stationed on the doors and drawings were taken away as soon as we'd made the component. In fact, we never knew exactly what it was we were making." Verne Morse, one of the team who worked on the secret project, said he was amazed any pictures had survived because of the total secrecy surrounding the project. He described how he saw a subsequent model designed by the team.

"When I saw it [the plane] for the first time I was stunned," he said. "I'd heard rumors we were working on a flying saucer, but I dismissed them. Now, here I was looking at it, and I was speechless." In 1954, the Canadian government decided to end the development of the aircraft. The American air force took over the project and later a scaled-down version of the plane became an "air jeep", which was nicknamed the Avrocar. The photos can be seen at: nwe/759/Top/RMCOM001i/newbullet.gif/63646263643130383338646531643430

Editor's Note: Much of the same information was revealed in these Files in 1998, #37 and #40 dated 9/17/98 and 10/8/98. The original Silverbug release was accomplished by Jack Pickett and myself. The photos show a heal shaped craft that was apparently the fore runner of the Silverbug. The heal shaped craft looks similar to those over flying Arizona in 1947 and similar to the craft that crashed near Roswell in 1947. They also are similar to Nazi designs recovered at the end of World War II. What we all hope to find out is were these new designs based on alien technology, Nazi designs or the brilliance of British engineer John Frost?


After the reported recovery of the craft near Roswell the wreckage was believed to have been sent to Wright Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB) in Dayton, Ohio. Leonard Stringfield and now Robert M. Collins are the chief researchers who have attempted to discover where on base was the craft held? The folklore rumors state that it was Hangar 18. But, through the many years of intensive effort the only evidence found to support such stories was a series of buildings called 18 A, B, C, etc., but no Hangar 18. From all this investigation it appears that Hangars 4 A, B, C may have been our famous Hangar 18 and even today there are classified projects still being conducted in these hangars.

According to Stan Friedman and others a highly secret panel code-named Majestic 12 or MJ-12 was formed by President Truman. In August 1999, Tim Cooper was sent a draft copy circa 1961 of the Mj12 Directive. It is undergoing authentication by Bob and Ryan Wood. These Mj12 directives may be authentic and urgent authentication is needed. Tim Cooper's research has uncovered a key figure in the story. He writes; James Jesus Angleton was born on 9 December, 1917, in Boise, Idaho, to NCR businessman and OSS Colonel James Hugh Angleton. Upon Graduation from Yale in 1941, Angleton moved to Harvard Law School where he met his future wife Cicely d'Autremont. Inducted into the Army on 19 March, 1943, Angleton was recruited into the OSS in August through the efforts of Angleton's father and Norman Pearson, his old Yale English professor who was, at that time, head of the OSS Counter Intelligence division in London. Angleton may have been part of Majestic. See the following URLs to learn more: Thanks.To Robert Collins: further reports and updates


BUFFALO -- Researcher Kenny Young writes that wrote: "We have just seen a series of four UFOs. At first we thought they were air planes but they were making no noise and flying too high to be airplanes. They had flashing lights going in a circular motion. One was a shadow of a disk shape with a lid on top. Something very small came out of it. If you can help identify these objects please email us at or Thanks to Kenny Young -- UFO Research


ROCHESTER -- On March 15, 2000, around 6:30 p.m., M.J.C. decided to go for a hike in the woods near his apartment complex. He lives about a half-mile from Expressway 590 "That evening I started hiking through the woods on a trail which starts at the back of my apartment complex and skirts north along the edge of the Brighton landfill. "Glancing up ahead, some movement caught my eye. Something dark up in the air. First I thought it might be a kite, then a balloon, then a bird. Finally, as it drew closer, the only possibility that I hadn't eliminated was a radio-controlled model of some sort. But then again, what kind of radio-controlled plane is absolutely silent?" "The object was totally black in color and flat on the underside. The closest thing that I could say the craft resembled was the Stealth fighter plane, but it was quite scaled down in size. Although it's difficult to estimate size against a background of clouds, the object was eventually close enough to me where I'm confident in saying it wasn't more than six feet (1.8 meters) long, and my best guess is that it was only four feet (1.3 meters) long."

"The object looked very much like a black arrowhead in shape, complete with an arrowhead's notch toward the rear. But it also presented a multifaceted design on top, similar to the Stealth's antiradar deflective design. However, the ends of the object appeared to have a clean edge but I noticed they were partially ragged, as in the difference between a standard pyramid and the stepped look of a South American pyramid. Although the effect was mere detail, I thought it was worth mentioning." "As the object glided directly past me, I could begin to see what clearly looked to be windows arrayed in a hexagon-shaped dome on top. Now picture a Stealth cockpit positioned directly in the middle of the craft with these same types of windows being on all sides." "The object was traveling at a constant speed and altitude, absolutely level. The degree of steadiness it showed combined with the fact that it was moving over a long distance without making a sound made it seem utterly unnatural to me. It also flew at a very low altitude, perhaps a mere 30 to 50 feet above the highest treetops at 10 miles per hour throughout the entire sighting which lasted maybe 45 seconds." Editor's Comment: This is not an aircraft as we understand the term. At such a low airspeed, any plane would stall and drop out of the sky. The UFO obviously was using some other means of "lift" than its wings.) Thanks to UFO Roundup Joe Trainor editor.


POWHATAN -- I operate a small business west of Richmond. Thursday night, March 9, 2000, at approximately 7:00 PM. I was on the front porch with my husband. It was dark. We were listening to music and I was just looking out towards our horse field when I saw a glowing green object swoop down onto the pasture and proceed to move horizontally but in a circular fashion to the north going up the field. It irradiated a green color and lasted about 5 to 8 seconds and just disappeared. It seemed about almost as high as our 2-story house so it was fairly low to the ground. I ruled out a child's toy or anything else and for lack of a better word, call it a UFO. I have no idea what it was.


John Thompson writes, "I bought a copy of Life magazine today (allegedly the last issue to be published)." It's front cover is devoted to UFOs. If you get it, turn to page 49 and look at photo number 8. This is almost exactly what my family and I saw for 45 minutes on 20 Feb 1994. The only difference is that there was huge non-blinking white light in the middle and at its bottom. We also saw it at just above tree top level from our high hill, giving it an almost level vantage viewing point. Hence, we saw a straight edge of Christmas tree like lights. This is the first time I have seen this photo (taken, according to Life magazine by a deputy sheriff in Western Connecticut, along with a hundred other witnesses who saw it, in May of 1988. Incredible photo!) The photo, a "circle of lights," is a most common UFO in the Troup-Heard Corridor and a truly unexplainable UFO.


NORTHEAST TIP - Peter Davenport writes that he was contacted by a Flight Attendant for a major airline who had a sighting. On March 12, 2000, I was flying from Memphis, TN to St. Louis, MO. at approx. 9:10 PM. While serving a first class passenger on the left side of the aircraft I noticed out the window that a ball of light was approaching from the rear of the aircraft at a speed faster than what we were going. (I would guess about 700 mph). The object appeared as a fuzzy ball of light pinkish in color which went out when it came parallel to our aircraft. It then began producing reflective sparks over the top of the ball shaped object of what appeared to be of a metallic nature. It then veered toward the aircraft and went under us and disappeared. When I notified the flight crew, they said that they had no reports of anything in the area and refused to talk about it any further. I asked the passenger what she thought it was and she replied that she could not make out anything that would make sense or anything she had ever seen before. I have never seen anything while flying in my 12 years with the airlines. This was worth investigating. Thanks to the National UFO Reporting Center


History continues to be made in the Show-Me State, where the Missouri secretary of state recently certified the signature-petition language for the first-ever ballot initiative to combat official government secrecy on UFO reality. "With receipt of this action," explained petition-drive committee co-chairs Bruce Widaman, "we can start gathering the requisite number of 75,000 signatures for placing the measure on the ballot during the general election this fall." After several months of navigating the complex review-and-approval process, Widaman and some of his Missouri-based colleagues in the Mutual UFO Network, Inc. now are gearing up to start circulating the signature petition. "To have any chance at all of meeting the state's deadline of May 7th, we have to round up at least 500 signature-gathering volunteers", he said. "And maybe some benefactor will step forward to fund a corps of professional circulators. But even if we fail to muster that degree of support, we already have achieved a moral victory in coming this far -- and there's always the prospect of renewal for the next general election." That moral victory can serve as a model for the other 15 direct-initiative states (as well as the seven indirect-initiative ones). And Widaman hopes that volunteers from those states will come forward early to follow the Missouri lead. In doing so, they will have added their voices to the growing call for full accountability as to what the government really knows about the origin and nature of unidentified flying objects. Widaman noted that a UFO-ballot-initiative dedicated banking account has been established at MUFON headquarters in Texas ( to help support the project. "As in all public-interest endeavors, we need some funding from the citizenry to offset expenditures," he said, adding: "And now's the time for volunteers to start the process in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Numerous UFO researchers worldwide view this initiative as a formal means for gaining (and expressing) the sense of the electorate on a vital public issue:

"If indeed the Earth is being visited by alien spacecraft, then we have a right to know and the government has the duty to tell," Widaman concluded. He defined the direct-initiative process as a grassroots means for empowering the voters to legislate statutory change -- in this case as an official proclamation to urge congressional action toward ending the government cover-up of the UFO experience. Here's the full text of the proposed proclamation: "Be it enacted by the people of the state of Missouri that the year 2000 be proclaimed and observed as the Year of UFO Awareness. Because of the Federal Government's failure to be officially forthcoming about Unidentified Flying Objects, the public remains ill informed and confused on a matter of potentially great consequence. We therefore urge the U.S. Congress to expeditiously convene open, comprehensive hearings in which government personnel (military, civilian-contract, and agency employees -- active and retired) are permitted to present sworn testimony regarding their personal knowledge of any UFO-related evidence, to be given under immunity by waiver of any applicable security oath or agreement of nondisclosure. This proclamation acknowledges the following facts: (1) the weight of the cumulative evidence -- e.g., eyewitness, electronic-detection, photographic, documentary -- overwhelmingly supports the conclusion of a majority of Americans that some of the reported UFOs represent somebody else's spacecraft; (2) the Federal Government's handling of the UFO issue has contributed to the public cynicism toward, and general mistrust of, government -- a development injurious to our republic; (3) this initial year of the third millennium affords us a renewed opportunity to explore, assess, and convey every facet of UFO reality." : Thanks to and Bob Bletchman (860-675-6379)


Aaron Crossley writes I was very disappointed to find out that there is not an IMAX Film showing at Space Center Houston. They did however have several cars from the Roswell Parade (Including shock comedian Tom Green's 'Space Mobile'), An original newsclipping of the Roswell Newspaper that fateful day, some older photographs of UFOs (And not any good ones), and some rubber aliens (Including the one Tom Green sexually molested on national television). It was more of a kid's thing, and I was disappointed. It does however point children in the right direction. Children probably don't watch Tom Green, so children will be left with their imaginations soaring to extraterrestrial highest.. Thanks to: (Aaron Crossley)


Christopher O'Brien reports eight unusual aerial sightings have been forwarded to this investigator. On St. Patrick's Day, March 17, at 3:00 p.m. Alamosa County resident "Chuck" was driving southbound on Hwy 285, just north of Antonito, when he witnessed "a metallic sphere at about 30 degrees up. It did not move in any extraordinary ways but it sure didn't look like any airplane I've seen." Montrose, CO investigator Davina Ryszka is investigating a report that occurred a few months ago in the same area."

On Tuesday, March 7th, 2000, 9:30 PM, near the town of Olathe, CO, a mother driving on a back road had an encounter with a low-flying aerial craft. The craft/object exhibited a "very bright white light and had a red and green lights on its sides". The woman reported to Ryszka that whatever-it-was "seemed to be confrontational". As the object approached her car head on, at first the witness thought it was a low-flying airplane. "The witness slammed on the brakes to try to avoid what seemed would be an inevitable crash" and the craft stopped right in front of her car. When she tried to move, it moved. When she attempted to turn the car around and go back the way she came, it moved in front of her car. At this point she was "really frightened especially because she had a small baby in a car seat . . ." Finally, she managed to get in front of the object and it "ended up behind her and she could see it in the rear view mirror. Then for a time it was not visible at all and she was relieved that maybe it was gone." Suddenly, a bright light came on directly above her illuminating her car and the surrounding area "and she drove quickly on to Olathe," understandably shaken by her experience. CAUS/Skywatch Author of The Mysterious Valley (1996) and Enter The Valley (1999 (St. Martin's Paperbacks)

PHOTOGRAPH BOOKLET of some of the best UFO shots available and data on their propulsion systems. $10.00 by US Navy Commander Graham Bethune. Send money order or check to G. Filer 222 Jackson Rd Medford, NJ 08055

US GOVERNMENT UFO PROOF RELEASED: Audio tapes of a genuine UFO Alert at Edwards Air Force base and studied by the Foreign Technology Division at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, are now available for distribution to the public. Sam Sherman's audio documentary tape called EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE ENCOUNTER on the night of October 7, 1965, uses the actual voice recordings provided by the Air Force. During this event 12 high tech luminous UFOs invade secure air space and came down low over the runways at Edwards AFB. Tower operator Sgt. Chuck Sorrels spotted them and notified the Air Defense Command. Sgt. Sorrels is heard on the original tapes and in a new segment where he verifies the event as it is heard on the archival recordings. The UFOs are described and a decision is made to launch F-106 fighter interceptors. You are there for an important part of UFO history. Hear it for yourself, it's the best UFO tape ever made. Tape cost is $14.95 each plus $2.00 for shipping -- total $16.95 -- (for overseas orders-out of US - add $6.00 shipping cost -- total -- $20.95) you can send either a personal check or money order to: Independent International Pictures Corp, Box 565, Dept. GF, Old Bridge, New Jersey 08857.

If you enjoy Filer's Files every week and want to support my efforts, please make a donation via PayPal
I am offering fourteen years of Filer's Files on a DVD with thousands of photographs and sightings for a donation of $50 that includes this year's subscription. Please include your e-mail address and mailing address.


For more detailed monthly investigative reports subscribe by contacting Mention I recommended you for membership.


Filer's Files is Copyrighted 2000 by George A. Filer, all rights reserved. Readers may post items from the Files on their Web Sites provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue that the item appeared. Send your letters to Sending mail automatically grants permission for us to publish. Please state if you wish to keep your name or story confidential.

George A. Filer and

Please subscribe or see the Filer's Files website for images in this weeks issue.