Skip to main content.

planet earth
Filer's Files
By George Filer

MUFON Eastern Region Director
April 3, 2001

George Filer:
See all the photos at:


Reports of large cigar or cylinder shaped UFOs are coming in from Georgia, Colorado, California, Texas, and Washington. NASA reports that our sun is in the middle of powerful coronal mass ejections that send huge geomagnetic storms into space. The solar flare activity has been picking up for the last several months. Sky watchers as far south as Mexico have seen the Northern Lights (aurora borealis). The most recent strongly magnetized storm began March 30th when a coronal mass ejection (CME) struck our Earth's magnetosphere. These intense storms may be tied to recent sightings of the motherships in our atmosphere. Earth is a relatively safe port in a solar storm. The most powerful flare of the current solar cycle is an X17-class event that erupted near sunspot 9393 on April 2, 2001. This CME is more powerful than the March 1989 event that led to the collapse of a power grid in Quebec. This is the second most powerful CME in 25 years. The increased activity may be the reason for increased mothership sightings.

Reports of large, cigar-shaped, aircraft carrier sized UFOs also known, as 'motherships' appear to have started as early as 1896-7 with sightings throughout the Midwest United States. During World War I hardly a night would go by without numerous reports of German Zeppelin activity over England, but the Germans only had one Naval Zeppelin and five Army airships in service when war was declared. Historian Dr. David Clarke claims that within a few months most of the Zeppelins had been destroyed or wrecked. German records reveal Zeppelin activity was very limited anywhere near the UK, yet pilots and other military personnel reported thousands of sightings of airships. Captain Stansfield of the trawler SS Ape and many of his crew on December 15, 1914, reported sighting a black airship. After the war airship records were read and all German airships were in their hangars due to bad weather. On September 6, 1914, Flight Commander C. E. Rathborne of the Felixstowe Naval Air Station, Suffolk, returned from an early morning patrol in his seaplane to make perhaps the first report of a UFO by a military officer. "At 5:35 AM, whilst on patrol, I sighted an airship steering south-southeast, with a silver-colored envelope on the horizon while flying at 1,300 feet, 27 miles south of Orfordness." Scottish Command Intelligence estimated the total number of reports of "enemy signaling" to be as high as 2,000 during 1914 alone. By January 31, 1916, nine Naval Zeppelins had been built and were ordered to bomb central England. The Zeppelin scares and rumors generated thousands of reports of phantom airships, that, based on their records, seldom ever flew near England. It appears many of the reports may have been UFOs. See Strange Daze Website at:

Commander Graham Bethune just returned from the Nevada UFO Conference where British author Nick Redfern spoke regarding World War II documents that were just released by the Public Records Office in the United Kingdom. The records revealed that a fleet of flying discs -- called 'Foo Fighters' -- were launched from huge cigar-shaped mothercraft during B-17 daylight raids over Germany in 1943. The huge aircraft-carrier sized mothership cut through a flight of B-17 bombers launching its discs in front of the B-17 amazed aircrews. Another report by two RAF fighter pilots saw a similar 'mothercraft' sitting on the ground.


ONEIDA, MARCY COUNTY -- Five witnesses observed a disk-shaped craft on Saturday, March 24, 2001. The craft had red and green flashing lights with some beams of light coming from it and it hardly moved and floated in the East. Aircraft surrounded it. We all watched it for about two hours. The object was a white light but you could still tell it was disk-shaped. It had red lights and green lights on the bottom and looked as if it was tilted and spinning. It hovered in the same spot most of the time. It lasted from around 8:00 PM to about 10:00 PM, and when I came back to see if it was still there, it was gone totally, disappeared. Thanks to Larry Clark


State MUFON Director of Georgia and former Police Chief, Tom Sheets writes, "On Monday morning March 26, 2001, I opened my current batch of email and found a preliminary morning report from John Bodin, Sr., MUFONGA's DD for South Georgia." John indicated that he had gone out right after dawn for his normal morning walk; the weather was crisp and clear with a crystal blue sky. Off to the SE he noticed an aircraft's contrail similar to those he had noticed during the past weekend. He also observed that the aircraft appeared to be lower in altitude than when such vapor trails are normally formed. The metallic aircraft color was readily apparent in the sunlight, and the contrail was white against the blue sky. Suddenly the contrail stopped, and at this point the aircraft appeared to be about the size of a pencil eraser head at arm's length but incredibly, the aircraft seemed to have almost halted in the sky. John watched as the contrail dissipated right up toward the back of the aircraft. He also noticed that the body of the aircraft seemed a little too long as compared to others he had observed. At that point, he realized there were no wings attached to the fuselage. He continued his observation for 6 to 7 minutes until, moving very slow, it was lost from view with no change in it's appearance.

Upon receiving the above report from John about 10:00 AM, I noticed that the skies above Fayetteville and the Atlanta area 15 miles to the North, were full of jet aircraft making a very obvious checkerboard pattern of vapor trails (the sky was FULL). Inspection of these via binoculars and video zoom over the next few hours indicated they appeared to be the normal contrail vapor formations, slowly drifting more or less eastwards. Due to the aerial activity, this writer alerted other MUFONGA members in the Atlanta area. SSD/FI David Brown of Norcross (northern Atlanta suburbs) then indicated he would be outside most of the day and would conduct surveillance and report back later.

Later Monday afternoon John Bodin was in contact with MUFONGA SSD/FI Michael D. Hitt of Roswell, GA, (north Atlanta suburban area) regarding a separate long-term investigation that is underway. Michael, a Roswell, Georgia police officer, then indicated that he had observed something very similar to John's event earlier in the day while on patrol duty. Officer Hitt indicated that at about 11:45 AM, he had been called to Roswell Police Headquarters. Enroute, he noticed an aircraft slowly flying S to N a little lower than is normal for that area, the aircraft being clearly visible in the bright sun. As he watched, he noticed that it appeared to have no wings or tail structures, and that another unusual effect was noticed. There appeared to be a 'heat-like' emanation given off from the fuselage and then the aircraft vanished. Michael indicated that he became aggravated that there was no way he could have turned his dash-mounted police videocam onto the craft. The skies over Roswell were also clear at that time, as in the rest of Georgia, with a mild to moderate wind from the NW.

About 3:00 AM on March 28, 2001, I received an email report from David Brown of Norcross. He indicated in his report that due to the alert, he too had been observing this aerial activity i.e., checkerboard patterns, and that an aircraft appeared not to have wings. Further that at times, some aircraft seemed to be working in pairs. David also described that one aircraft appeared to have a 'haze like' sheath around it, seemingly not part of the vapor trail, and while watching that, another craft suddenly appeared going in the opposite direction, again with a 'haze-like' effect around it. (David had no knowledge at that time about Michael Hitt's description of the 'heat-like' emanations observed in the craft over Roswell.) Later David observed a night flight of apparent C-130 Hercules aircraft flying in the direction of nearby Dobbins AFB. These were followed by a number of helicopters flying in the same direction. He contacted the PIO and ATC at Dobbins AFB to discuss these matters, but was not given any information relating to the flights or the other aerial activities.

David indicated he had made some video tape of this activity, and this will be under review in the coming days. Please note that these events are similar to that observed and reported by MUFONGA HQs personnel on July 17, 2000, some 81 miles NW of Chattanooga Tennessee on I-24. (See MUFON Journal Sept. 2000 and Filer's Files). Brief recap; Sheets, Ausmus and Clifford observing contrail formations in the KY-TN State line area, then later observed contrail producing aircraft HALT it's vapor trail, flying on for a few hundred meters, then completely vanishing from the sky, instantly. This aircraft too was in clear blue sunlit sky and blatantly obvious to the observers. Since 2000, this writer has noticed a few other postings from individuals across the USA describing similar observations: Interrupted contrails and vanishing aircraft. While MUFONGA does not rule out tricks of light and shadow or optical illusion, it is still obvious that something is not quite 'right' about these events, especially the recent Georgia observations. MUFONGA is aware of the current rumors and discussions regarding our military aviation forces possessing an active aircraft camouflage system. If this is so and these events are examples, perhaps the system was malfunctioning this past Monday, or some form of experiments were possibly being conducted. We have also discussed the possibility of 'morphing' UFOs. Thanks to Tom Sheets, SD MUFONGA, ISUR Board COPYRIGHT 2000 BY TOM SHEETS AND MUFON OF GEORGIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


CONROE -- ISUR reports a motorist on March 23, 2001, at about 12:45 A.M., was proceeding east on Highway 105 toward Beaumont Texas. The vehicle passengers noticed a group of lights off to the side that seemed to be about 2 miles away. Within three seconds, the lights closed the distance to the vehicle and were overhead and to the left about 125 feet above the ground. The witness indicated that it appeared to be a group of purple and green lights with some mixed white. While they watched, the lights appeared to depart at an incredible rate of speed, in fact it was described as being so fast, they were unable to determine exactly what direction the formation took. The witness turned his car around to recheck the area, but no trace was found. Thanks to ISUR and Tom Sheets Board. The case has been referred to MUFON of Texas further investigation.


ROSCOE AND FT. JUSTICE -- My husband and I were driving to Lubbock, on March 5, 2001, and I had been asleep. When I woke at 3:30 PM, I noticed a very strange airplane flying low to the ground. It would circle and then hover, circle and then hover. It wasn't a helicopter though; it was a long aircraft with wings far back on the tail. I said to my husband, "What is that weird plane?" He said that he didn't know, but he'd been watching it for some time. He told me to watch because it would seemingly stop right in midair--which is what I had observed it doing. It seemed to be circling the highway, but keeping up with the traffic that was northbound. It was a clear day; few clouds. No rain. Other motorists appeared to be watching the craft as well. It eventually took off very rapidly southward and disappeared. Our background--husband is a professor; I am a writer. This is the first sighting for my husband. My 2nd -- the previous happened 35 years ago. We think it may have been some kind of test plane from Lubbock. We occasionally experience tremendous sonic booms that might come from Reese Air Force Base.


PUEBLO -- (70 miles south) On March 2, 2001, National Reporting Center reports a witness saw a bright and enormous cylinder shaped object that gave off a buzzing sound at 10:00 PM. The witness stated, "I do mean absolutely unearthly huge in size. I was to damned scared to take in much detail!" Thanks to NUFORC


Tracie Boudreaux reports seeing a huge, cigar-shaped craft while driving on the freeway on January 29, 2001. A group of people and I decided to chase this object at 9:00 P.M. I heard neighborhood dogs barking outside my kitchen window and I noticed a bright light in the western sky southeast of the crescent moon. It was in the shape of a diamond. The light was not blinking nor did it have any color distortion and I gauged it next to a tree limb to verify if it was a star or if it had actual movement and indeed it did. It moved up and down slightly. I jumped into my car driving from Kirby and Westpark at 35 mph and I chased it going west at Newcastle & Westpark. It was larger. Then I noticed from the South a helicopter going north. The light dimmed as the helicopter passed it. I pulled into a parking lot at Rice Street and Westpark. After the helicopter passed it, the light stayed dim and then completely went out. This is less than 1/2 mile from my home. I tried to observe the object through the trees at my home ten minutes later but it had gone. Thanks to Tracie Boudreaux

DUBLIN -- On the morning of March 12, 2001, at about 7:45 AM, my daughter and I saw a white, cigar-shaped object moving slowly, and at low altitude, from the Southwest toward the Northeast and then it turned slightly north, toward Mt. Diablo. At times, it seemed to stay in one position, as if to observe something below, then moved forward, again. The day was a bright, clear, cloudless morning. The object was moving through the air at a lower altitude than I have seen many single engine planes fly. It made no noise whatsoever. It had no wings, no visible cockpit, no rudder, wheels, propeller, no cables or anything on or protruding from it. I am only certain of what it was NOT: it was not a plane, not a helicopter, not a blimp, not a balloon, not a glider, or any ordinary object I have ever seen in the sky. It appeared to move intentionally. I did not have the benefit of binoculars, but with the naked eye, it appeared that it may have had narrow band of dark-colored metal very slightly bisecting the middle of the object, which gave the hint of an indentation or slightly "segmented" body, but I cannot be sure because it was further away from me, at that point. It appeared to be made of a smooth, cigar-shaped, bright white, nonreflecting material, i.e., not a "shiny" metal. It had no visible means of propulsion. It's length was about the width of my thumbnail, held at arm's length. The object was still in sight, when it was followed by a single engine plane flying in the same direction toward the Northeast. So, I had both the plane and the silent, cigar-shaped object in view for thirty seconds. The strange object was moving much slower than the single engine plane behind and below it. I went in and called the FAA Office at the Livermore Airport, but they had no other reports. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC


UNION/PULLMAN/WHITMAN COUNTY -- A coworker his son were driving with his girlfriend at 6:00 P.M. on March 10, 2001. They saw a red light in the sky and they thought it was an airplane. Then a few seconds later, they saw a big circle of red lights that got closer to ground. Other cars were behind them and all slowed down to look, but due to the traffic on the highway, they couldn't stop.

SEATTLE -- Two days later, a witness says, "My girlfriend works nights and leaves our West Seattle home at about 11:45 P.M. each weeknight. After she leaves, I often go out on the back porch to write in my journal. The porch faces west, overlooking Blake and Vashon Islands and Puget Sound. I had just stepped out on the porch and was admiring the clear night sky when an object traveling very, very fast crossed from the South to the North. I realized that it was flying within earth's atmosphere. It had at least three distinguishable bright orange lights in an oblong formation. It was too dark for me to make out the outline of the vessel itself. It flew at about the height on the horizon, but was totally silent and at about ten times faster -- it took about 10 seconds for it to cross the sky. To reconfirm my thought that it could not possibly be a plane that had just passed, moments later one in fact did fly by (presumably coming from SeaTac airport as they often do), and I could make out its shape, hear it clearly, and it was much slower than what I had just seen. I wrote: March 13, 2001,: 3:50 AM. It's dark and I just saw something cruise through the night sky that had orange lights and was very, very fast and completely silent. A plane just flew by, too, but slower -- much slower -- and I could hear it pass. It must have been a satellite but it seemed so close and flew south to north over Puget Sound." I talked to Peter Davenport and he indicated the witness is an excellent source of objective information. Very lucid, very eloquent, and a very clear on the object that was observed. It is noteworthy that this report strongly suggests that there were multiple, individual lights on this object. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC


BEN MACDUI MOUNTAIN -- Two US F-15 fighters crashed near the summit of Ben Macdui, Scotland's second highest mountain March 26, 2001. Searchers scouring the mountains discovered wreckage of two US F-15C fighters, three days after the single-seat fighters and their pilots disappeared. Rescue teams have braved heavy snow, high winds and avalanches to find two US airmen and their aircraft. The planes were on one of their low-flying exercises when radio contact was lost at about 1:15 p.m. Monday. The wreckage of the tail part of the second aircraft was found some 400 yards from the wreckage of the first," said a Royal Air Force spokesman. The pilot was identified as Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth John Hyvonen, 40, from the 48th Operations Support Squadron, based at the RAF Lakenheath air base in eastern England. British Tornado fighter-bombers used heat-seeking infrared equipment to search for the planes' engines against a snow-covered expanse of the Cairngorms Mountain range. Captain Kirk Jones of the 493rd Fighter Squadron, also based at Lakenheath was in the other aircraft. One unconfirmed story is that the aircraft touched in midair.

A UK reader writes, "Just out of interest RAF Tornadoes have crashed a number of times before in Britain while on training missions and they always fly at low altitude ("it's the way the RAF trains"). The F-15's could have crashed in a similar way??

Editor's Note: I flew for the USAF for four years out of Sculthorpe RAF Air Base. I personally became interested in UFOs when I chased one over England. London Control directed us to intercept a UFO over England at 1,000 feet. I've been chasing them ever since. Hundreds of people report UFOs each month and many over Scotland. I get interested in crashes particularly when aircraft such as the F-15 lose their tail. They have terrain-avoidance radar and hopefully know what they're doing. UFOs have exceptionally strong electronic signatures that might cause navigation problems in our aircraft. I've got pilots calling claiming they have strange metals on wing and tail surfaces. I spent most of my career in intelligence. Just before crashing we have pilot's who say things that are never announced to public. Like, "I've been hit by a UFO, going down." All my data is just like General Ben Chidlaw claimed,
"We have stacks of reports about flying saucers. We take them seriously when you consider we have lost many men and planes trying to intercept them." There are numerous sightings in Scotland, and I have a nice photo of two UFOs over Scotland on my web site. Filer's My job in the Air Force was to warn people not to fly over certain places because of enemy fire, terrorists, etc. It is my opinion that their may be danger in our skies and it's time to start warning pilots not to chase or attack these craft. Further, it's time to realize they exist and it's time to look for evidence of UFO involvement in air crashes.


David E. Twichell writes, "The ancient astronaut and Biblical UFO hypotheses are not new. However, no one seems to want to take the matter to the next logical step. If Ezekiel's, "wheel within a wheel," and Moses', "pillar of fire and cloud," were forerunners of today's UFOs, then the Star of Bethlehem and the brilliant cloud to which Jesus ascended must be treated in the same vein. When Biblical descriptions of anomalous aerial phenomena are overlaid on that of modern-day UFO reports, the picture seems to meld as one. Once the evidence has been presented, the reader is led to a conclusion that is at best convincing and at least thought provoking. Are you willing to risk having your world view shaken? Read the preface free at: To order your copy of THE UFO - JESUS CONNECTION, go to: Or Save the shipping charges and order your autographed copy by sending a check or money order for $13.95 (US) per copy to: David Twichell, P.O. Box 511, Trenton MI. 48183-0511

If you enjoy Filer's Files every week and want to support my efforts, please make a donation via PayPal
I am offering fourteen years of Filer's Files on a DVD with thousands of photographs and sightings for a donation of $50 that includes this year's subscription. Please include your e-mail address and mailing address.


Jeff Challender has prepared a new tape of various UFOs that were caught on recent Shuttle video footage. Jeff has over an hour long tape of UFOs shot in space. Jeff spends hundreds of hours watching the shuttle broadcasts from space and is now an expert on NASA missions and even those onboard the shuttle are unlikely to see what Jeff does. Using Jeff's directions you will be able to learn the difference between space junk, ice crystals and real UFOs. I feel confident we could go into a court of law and convince any jury that there are UFOs moving at high speed around the Earth. Send $25 to: Jeff Challender 2768 Mendel Way - Sacramento, California 95833-2011


For more detailed monthly investigative reports subscribe to the MUFON JOURNAL that costs only $30 per year by contacting Mention that I recommended you for membership.


Filer's Files is copyrighted 2001 by George A. Filer, all rights reserved. Readers may post items from the files on their Web Sites provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue that the item appeared. These reports and comments are not necessarily the official MUFON viewpoint. Send your letters to Sending mail automatically grants permission for us to publish and use your name. Please state if you wish to keep your name, address, or story confidential. Caution, most of these are initial reports and require further investigation.


George A. Filer and

Please subscribe or see the Filer's Files website for images in this weeks issue.

Custom Search