Skip to main content.

planet earth
Filer's Files
By George Filer

MUFON Eastern Region Director
August 7, 2002

George Filer:
See all the photos at:

Dear Readers, I have been receiving viruses and other attacks including hijacking of my website domain name. I will not send out these files or emails with attachments so if you receive any attachments from me do not open. New website name will be http//

UFO SIGHTINGS INCREASE: New York flying triangle, New Jersey investigation, Pennsylvania green beam, Washington D.C. report, Ohio flying pen, Georgia flap, Alabama disc, Tennessee huge UFO, Illinois circle fizzles, Arizona glowing cylinder, Montana disc, California flying triangle, Canadian UFOs, and Argentina flying triangle. Ukraine air show crash may have been caused by white cylinder shaped UFO seen TV. Top Defense and Air Force personnel fired so UFO video becomes their best defense.


CHEEKTOWAGA -- A triangular shaped object with flames and green lights floated over while friends were sitting talking around the bonfire on July 28, 2002, at 1:00 AM. The witness says "I was looking up at the sky looking at the stars when to my left a triangular shape appeared." I first thought it was a plane and then realized that I never seen a plane like that before. I was able to point out three corners of the craft which did indeed look like a flying triangle. The front had two green lights at two points and what looked like a red flame in between them. It was moving a bit slow for a few seconds and then picked up speed. We stood up and ran to the front of the house because the house next door was in the way of our view. When we made our way there it had disappeared. It wasn't a cloudy night so us not being able to see it anymore was a bit strange.

NEW YORK CITY DISC -- Laying on my bed looking out the window on July 28, 2002, I saw a black object flying by at a constant velocity. I jumped up to get a closer look without taking my eyes away at 8:10 PM. The object changed shape from circular to disc-like alternating every two or three seconds. It moved in one direction, did not change course, and seemed to be moving slower than the planes I see taking off from a nearby airport. The object came near one airplane, but neither seemed to change course. I'm not inferring that this was an alien UFO, but it was certainly not like anything I've witnessed before. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC


HAMMONTON - A group of UFO researchers drove up and down Route 536, most of the night trying to spot the so-called Phantom train that reportedly moves down the road at night scaring drivers. Evelyn Galsen, Pat Mc Gee and Ward Campbell and myself spent last Wednesday trying to find the mysterious visitor but failed. We did manage to witness a high speed passenger train that runs between Philadelphia and Atlantic City. The train has a million plus candle power head light. However, the train track runs on an angle to the road and unless someone is bending the light this seems unlikely to be the phantom train culprit.


PHILADELPHIA -- On July 26, 2002, at 10:10 PM, four Police Officers were outside our headquarters when we noticed a glowing "deep green" beam of light, 65 degrees near the zenith. This green beam was stationary, just above the clouds, facing NNE. The beam was horizontal to the ground and a high pitched, pulsating hum could be heard over the common city noise. This hum caused the several K-9 dogs to bark and howl uncontrollably from their pens. One officer stated, "Holding my hand up to the sky, the beam/glow of deep green light would have been relative to the size of my thumb. After viewing in amazement, for about two minutes, the "deep green" light vanished, the hum stopped and the dogs became silent." With two airports in the area, I'm sure something had to be picked up on radar screens. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC


Luce Blessings writes, I heard a story from a morning show music host about his brother in law (an airline pilot of a large airline) reporting the sighting of a UFO being chased by some military planes over Washington, DC on July 30, 2002. Nothing was reported on the news. Thanks to Luce,


YOUNGSTOWN -- NUFORC reports a dramatic, sighting event in the vicinity of Highway 84 at 02:45 hours on July 31, 2002. A young man witnessed a momentary flash of light, followed by a sighting of an object that looked generally like a "fountain pen." The object streaked across the sky, stopped, and the truck ahead of the witness suddenly was no longer there! It sounds like a possible "abduction," a.k.a. interaction case.

CINCINNATI -- Kenny Young writes, " On July 30, 2002, around 1:30 a.m., an unusual bright light was seen over the city by many people. The event was reported by numerous news media outlets including 700 WLW A.M. Radio and the FM station 102.9 WEBN. I placed a call to the newsroom of 700 WLW and the person taking the call said that the National Weather Service advised that the object was a meteor. Joedy Cooke overheard discussion of the sighting on WEBN radio, that focused on the object hovering stationary. Also in response to a tip that the North College Hill Police Department had acquired an in-car video cam recording of the object, researcher Donnie Blessing, MUFON's State Section Director for Southern Ohio, has traveled to speak with police officials and was able to confirm the existence of this video recording. She is working now to obtain this video. Thanks to KENNY YOUNG ufo@FUSE.NET


ATLANTA -- On June 11, 2002, at about 10:40 PM, on a hospital helipad, members of the aircrew observed a blue-green sphere, estimated at 4 to 10 feet actual size, flew over the helipad without sound, but it seemed to leave a slight trail-like emission. Witnesses also observed white strobes and red and blue flashing beacon from top floor of an adjacent building. Then another object with red and white lights was observed flying along the edge of the helipad descending toward the ground, but there was no crash. Investigation continues.

HINESVILLE -- During mid-July a teenage student was up at 3:00 AM doing work on her laptop when she heard her dog barking outside and looked out to see if someone was coming up. She observed a string of hovering glowing lights, that looked like Christmas lights, but she was unable to see structure behind them. She looked up and down the neighborhood and back to the lights, noticing that one toward the middle was brighter. At this point, the lights took off in unison toward their neighbor's home. She ran into her mother's room to wake her and her mother also saw the lights move into the woods. The sighting was near the coast and Fort Stewart. Charles Bowen, our SSD for Savannah, will investigate.

DULUTH -- At 10:55 PM, on July 17, 2002, I was traveling south on Highway 141 when off to my left 125 feet above the tree line I witnessed two bright lights less then a quarter mile away. It was a long triangle shape with bright round lights at each corner as well as on each side of the craft with a rotating blue light in the center of the craft. Ground lights reflected off the solid black craft, with a thin strip of dim lights going around the side of the ship. As it made a complete 180 degree turn it slowly descended to just feet above the trees just behind a small car dealership. I pulled into the dealer's lot and my clock still read 10:55 PM and walked towards the object 175 feet away. I could clearly see the triangle craft 4 to-5 car lengths (100 feet long) and about 15 to 20 feet tall. As I got closer it started to move away. At this point I remembered I had a camera in my car so I ran back to get it. I noticed other motorists slowing down to look and I grabbed my camera, but the craft just disappeared.

TUCKER -- On July 21, at about 2:00 AM, a housewife in the area reports that a white oval shaped light flew over her home at treetop level. SSD Olivia Newton will investigate. JEFFERSON -- MUFONGA's Linda and William Campbell report on July 27, 2002, noticed a star-like light moving through the sky, and while unable to identify it, they considered a very high flying aircraft. On subsequent nights of observation, they have observed lights flying north then south, and once east. Observation with binoculars defined nothing more than their star-like appearance with no observed structure or navigation lights. This continues until well past midnight every 10-15 minutes, and does not operate like satellites do.

BLACKSHEAR -- On July 29, 2002, at about 9:30 PM, a couple was out for their evening walk and noticed a white glowing star 25-30 degrees high rapidly traveled west on a wobbly, slightly erratic course. Five minutes later they noticed another star-like object moving in the same manner. They could see beams of light going toward the object, with similar beams emanating from the object that turned red and vanished. John Bodin MUFONGA's will be conducting the evaluation. Thanks to Tom Sheets, MUFONGA and WUFOD.


LAVERGNE -- The witness says, "At 7:45 PM, on July 22, 2002, my wife and I were in the backyard enjoying our swing. The moon was about forty-five degrees above the horizon when we saw a bright light appear above the treeline in the southeast. The light slowly ascended and disappeared behind the moon and never reappeared on the other side! The object was about 1/8th inches in diameter, and 1/10th the diameter of the moon.


BESSEMER -- I was traveling back home from dinner at a friend's house on July 19, 2002, when I noticed what I thought at first to be part of the moon obscured by clouds in the western sky at 9:00 PM. Then I noticed that it was a cloudless night and the real moon was over my left shoulder. So then I got excited and got my video camera and went to the parking lot of this church and got the object on video. The sighting lasted about a minute or two before the object disappeared like someone turning off the light. Peter Davenport NUFORC.


NAPERVILLE - The crop circle that showed up last week may have been placed there to advertise the new Mel Gibson movie "Signs." Witnesses saw some men come to the field with weedwhackers and cut down an area to make it appear like a crop circle. The circle was placed near an apartment building so it could be easily spotted from higher floors.


DEER LODGE -- The witness started his car at 10:15 PM, and noticed a beam of light above the mountain on July 23, 2002. He reported, "I thought it was a reflection off the football lamps, but when I moved the car, I realized it was not, so I stopped. The object was positioned about 23 miles away above the mountain. It was a bright disk with various white lights that moved back and forth. Then the lights faded and disappeared twenty seconds after I first saw it. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC.


PHOENIX/GLENDALE -- The witness reports on July 20, 2002, my wife saw it as it cleared our next door neighbor's house and yelled, "Come out and see this!" As I stepped outside at 8:30 PM, my wife was pointing up, and I saw the object. It was a charcoal gray cylinder with a pale blue/gray outline, that seemed to glow and was moving fast and silent thru the sky. There was no sound as it moved. On two opposite sides of the object, there were two curved points that went towards the inside of the object. It seemed to tumble as it moved thru the sky, but it flew in a smooth and swift manner and then disappeared moving northeast.


SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK --About 9:45 PM, a family was camping when one member pointed out a huge craft in the form of a V with red lights flying slowly over. They were able to see the object for about two minutes and it made a humming sound, but nothing like an airplane. Numerous campers saw the craft. All the these California reports occurred on July 23, 2002, within an hour.

LOS ANGELES -- At 10:00 PM, a large chevron shape of red twinkling lights slowly moved south across the sky in the Mid-City area of Los Angeles. The witness reports, "I was outside of my Dad's in the Mid-City area when I noticed a large chevron shape of red twinkling lights." I pointed it out to a neighbor and we watched the chevron move slowly under a much smaller aircraft. In comparison the chevron was huge and flew much slower. We could not make out a mass, only the lights lighting in a pattern back and forth across the chevron shape. My Dad's house is in the flight pattern of LA Airport, and planes fly an east and west flight pattern but chevron was flying south.

WEST HILL -- Another witness at 10:05 PM, stated, I saw an uneven "V" formation of white and red lights, trailing ones flashing red, with trail extending for a minute or two. It flew slowly at about 30 degrees elevation, moving southeast traveling at about the speed of a small prop plane. There was almost a full moon rising. It traveled south over the San Fernando Valley, and developed a long "tail" of red flashing lights, which grew ever longer. There were 4 or 5 high intensity flashing lights extending at about 45 degrees backwards from the parent whitish ball. The overall shape was a chevron of lights, with one or two dimmer red lights further back. Through binoculars, I could discern no solid connection between the lights, nor any additional "navigation" lights, even though the object was close to the full Moon, and any wing structure would easily have been visible. Fifteen minutes later, we saw two fast military planes probably F-16s traveling the same path.

SANTA MONICA -- At 10:22 PM, fifteen witnesses saw something similar to the Phoenix lights flying south towards their position at about ten thousand feet in altitude They were stunned, and said there no words to describe it. It had white lights in a huge triangular shape and over flew her position and saw it disappear going south.

RESEDA -- My husband and I were bringing in the trash cans at 10:30 PM, when I looked at the northwest sky and saw a cluster of red and blue lights with a bright white light in the center coming towards our home. I said, "What is that?" He looked and yelled for other family members to look see the V- shaped formation. He took out the video camera and started to record. The center light was bright and the other lights began to dimmer out as if they were separating from the formation. It flew south over our heads not moving very fast, and we could hear a motor type noise, but it was not a noise that an airplane makes. When the craft flew over the phone went dead and the video camera stopped.

CATALINA ISLAND -- At 10:30 PM, I was at a summer camp at Toyon Bay near Avalon and was walking away from the beach in a crowd of forty people when we saw a triangle formation of lights, moving very slowly in formation. There was a very bright white light in front with red lights trailing it. The entire formation was several times larger than the full moon. The lights did not flash. A very low, quiet engine sound was audible. I thought it could be a formation of military jets, but the lights did not blink or flash and they stayed in perfect formation. It was flying from the northwest towards Avalon.

EXETER -- At 10:30 PM, four of us from my church saw a huge UFO in the shape of a triangle with just red lights rimming the edge of it as it flew south. We moved the car and it reappeared by coming behind us after about 15 minutes. This thing was huge and had like a hum to it. it was a little east of Rocky Mountain. Thanks to Peter Davenport NUFORC

Editor's Note: Multiple witnesses tracked the first UFO moving south to Catalina. A second chevron may have been seen near Exeter in the Fresno area, where the sightings started.


TERRACE, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- Brian Vike reports that a 17 year old called to say, "Although I always believed there had to be other life out there, I was never truly convinced they had made contact, until July 27, 2002, when I saw a moving light fly towards Prince Rupert." As the object began moving further east at 12:25 AM, I began to realize it was cigar or pancake shaped with a flickering bright light moving around its side. This was not human technology. Two minutes later, it moved from a horizontal position to a diagonal position then descended going northwest.

TELKWA, BC -- Two witnesses say they watched an object for 30 seconds, before it flew below the mountains. The object was viewed by another witness flying 300 meters off the deck. The sighting was reported to the RCMP and later a military transport was seen landing at the Smithers Airport, followed by military trucks moving around the back roads. There is nothing out there for the military such as bases. Thanks to Brian Vike (Yogi) HBCC UFO Research

HOWICK, QUEBEC -- Montreal Gazette reports a multi-circle quintuplet formation in barley was discovered August 3, 2002. Five large circles 65 feet in diameter, with other smaller ones outside main formation. Thanks to Crop Watch 2002,


CHAJ'N -- Guillermo Arias was on patrol at 11 PM, on July 21, 2002, when a radio call alerted him that police in Achiras were seeing lights heading toward him. As he drove the police patrol van, he saw a formation of seven lights and followed them ten kilometers along a rural dirt road when his engine died. The van's dashboard lights began turning on and off, the police radio went haywire and its dial displayed random frequencies while the van was filled with an acrid odor like burnt wiring. The interior lights came on and off. Seized by fear, Arias jumped out of the van and lost his cell-phone. Suddenly an immense light emerged from an adjacent field. A triangular object rose majestically. He described it as a real "floating city" 200 meters long with a long row of about 100 windows. Arias saw something move behind him, that he defined as "non-human." Numerous beams of light came out of the giant triangle, aimed at the ground for several seconds. The object suddenly rose and sped away lighting up the area like daylight. Recovering from his nervous condition, he returned to the vehicle and notified his comrades of the experience, receiving radio instruction that reinforcements were being set out. Patrolman Barrios from Achiras was trying to keep him calm over the radio, while Sgt. Medina, who was the first to arrive on the scene, and Sgt. Cordoba were among the officers who reached the area to lend aid to their comrade in distress. Thanks to Scott Corrales Translation (C) 2002. and C.O.R. (Circulo Ovnilógico Riocuartense).


AVEBURY -- On July 27, 2002, after exploring two crop circles in the field near Avebury at about 6 PM, the witnesses took several photos of the Trusloe Prehistoric Standing Stones. Later they noticed on the photographs, that there were many oval shaped UFO's in the distance. Most of the objects seem to have a slight aura and one of them has a Saturn or flat hat shape. They did not see the UFO's at the time.


SKNILOV AERODROME -- Stunning video was shown on Ukrainian ICTV and Russian television showing an unidentified object skimmed a Ukrainian fighter jet moments before it crashed into a crowd of aviation enthusiasts killing 84 people on July 27, 2002. This is the most tragic air crash in the world history during an air shows. The crashing Su-27 fighter killed 27 children, and wounded 199. The video clearly shows a UFO that is mentioned by the TV commentator, that passes near the descending Su-27 fighter that killed so many. The UFO is a clearly visible long white cylinder, or cigar shaped, that quickly flew directly behind the Su-27 for 1.5 seconds. The stunning discovery was made due to the detailed analysis of the tape by the investigation commission and speculation is circulating it could have been a factor in the crash. General Evgeniy Marchuk, Head of the state commission on investigation, analysis of the flight recorder indicated that all systems of the aircraft, including engines, were functioning normally, and Colonel Vladimir Toponar and pilot-inspector, colonel Uriy Egorov safely ejected out of the aircraft. Some other experts conclude that human factor -- bravado of the pilots and insufficient organization by the flight directors of this air show -- caused the tragedy. Several high ranking officers have been arrested. The hypothesis that the UFO could (accidentally) have influenced the aircraft's systems or pilots, is not totally excluded? Thanks to Anton Anfalov, Research Specialist for MUFON.

Editor's Note: This case could become the most important proof for UFOs in modern history. Powerful men must defend themselves using a UFO as the cause of the accident.


ALLORA, QUEENSLAND -- The witness was driving on July 25, 2002, and observed three flashing lights in the sky at 8:45 PM, so she stopped his car, turned the engine off, and got a better look. Three salience objects were hovering in a line. The witness states, "I could not see exact shape because it was dark, but I saw a large single light on each craft that was flashing in sequences like they where communicating or something. I heard and saw two maybe three jets. I drove home and went into my back yard and saw the jets go over. The three objects were also moving faster and seemed to be still silent into the distance away from the jets. As the jets got closer the three objects started to move slowly away and gained speed as the jets got closer. I watched and the three objects move faster away, still flashing in sequences. I saw a fleckle of silver on one of the objects as both objects and jets flew over Allora Mountain and they disappeared.


Robert Collins writes, Report of Inquiry, Nuclear Incident, Bent Spear, Minuteman II Missile Site, Delta 4 at Ellsworth AFB SD, on 17 January 1970, "At 0340 hrs, Lt Michael Sehorn, 68th Strategic Missile Squadron, Launch control facility, reported an outer zone alarm at Delta 4. Security Alert Team observed a large object resting on the ground northwest of the missile site. At 0431 hrs, an inner zone alarm was detected by Lt. Sehorn. At 0510 hrs, Lt Sehorn reported the missile Launch sequence panel was reset to zero, thus disabling the missiles in his squadron. A second panel light indicated that Delta 4's warhead was not responding according to specific levels. It was determined that the upper hatch had been opened and a person was climbing down the ladder to the second hatch. Security police challenged the individual who did not respond. It was determined that the detonator of the warhead had been removed. The detonator was found lying on the bottom of the silo." For the whole story please see:


William E. Jones writes, "I thought your readers should be aware of the Cordell Hull story that alien artifacts were in our hands in 1939." In early December of 1999 the Center of UFO Studies received a letter from the daughter of the Reverend Turner Hamilton Holt:
"Today I want to share some knowledge that has been, by request, kept secret in our family since sometime in World War II. This concerns something my father was shown by his cousin Cordell Hull, the Secretary of State under Franklin Roosevelt. snip My father, who was young, brilliant, and sound of mind, told us this story because he didn't want the information to be lost. One day when my father was in D.C,. Cordell swore him to secrecy and took him to a sub-basement in the U.S. Capitol building, and showed him an amazing sight: (1) Four large glass jars holding 4 creatures unknown to my father or Cordell [and], (2) A wrecked round craft of some kind nearby. "My father wanted my sister and I to make this information known long after he and Cordell were dead, because he felt it was a very important bit of information. We have researched your group and feel it is the most reliable group in the country. We hope that you will research and search this information. The jars with creatures in formaldehyde and the wrecked craft are some where! "Cordell said they were afraid they would start a panic if the public found out about it." Sincerely, Lucile Andrew, Ashland, Ohio.

Cordell Hull was one of the greatest statesmen of the 20th Century with absolutely no apparent reason to tell this story unless it was true, especially at a time when stories of flying saucers and their alien drivers had not yet become part of our culture. Hull was elected U.S. Senator 1931-1937, was chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and became the Secretary of State under President Franklin D. Roosevelt in March 1933, the longest in American history until 1944, when he resigned because of ill health. He was also offered the Vice Presidency and in 1945, Cordell Hull won the 1945 Nobel Prize for Peace.

Reverend Holt and Hull were both born in Pickett County and were cousins and friends. Holt attained a Doctor in Theology degree from Ashland Theological Seminary, and was a minister at the Shenandoah Christian Church in Greenwich, Ohio. He was a community leader, and wrote a book entitled Life's Convictionss. He married Vina May Clark and they had three daughters. Two of the daughters claim they had been told about the creatures by their father. Lucile's original letter essentially tells the story as her father told it to her when she was a teenager. Unfortunately, Lucile said that she was too young to really pay much attention to what her father told her but Allene the mother of Eloise, the co-author of this story was told the same story as her sister. Both sisters assured us that they remember the stories independently. Reverend Holt described the entities in the glass jars as "creatures, a term common for his day.." He never referred to them as "aliens" or "extraterrestrials." He never said where they came from. Lucile stated that his experience happened in the "late 1930s," probably 1939. The material that was nearby the less than four feet tall creatures was described as "silver metallic." She also remembers him referring to the material as being a "vehicle" that appeared to have been taken apart and was "in pieces." He said the color of this material wasn't a color that he had seen before, but for the lack of a better word he used "silver." Reverend Holt was not the sort of person to make up such a wild story and, the sisters feel that by telling the story they are following their father's wishes.

Barbara A. Wolamin, "the curator U.S. Capitol building," chuckled a bit after being told the story. She said, "She had never heard about these creatures being stored at the Capitol, but she did confirm there was a sub-basement that was divided into storage rooms back then. She said that the building had been significantly changed over the years, so in a small way, part of Reverend Holt's story checked out. After Cordell Hull left government service he wrote his memoirs in a two-volume book set. No reference, to this story appeared in these pages, in his papers in the Library of Congress. Numerous experts and libraries were contacted and there has been no confirmation for the story. If four alien bodies and other world technology were retrieved in1939, what would that do to our interpretation of the U.S. Government's involvement in UFO research? One would assume prior knowledge would have made the government ready for an event like Roswell and that the Roswell retrieval was more efficient because of that. This is a story that truly deserves further investigation. Thanks to William E. Jones MUFON State Director for Ohio. Dr. Irena Scott and CUFOS International UFO Reporter 2002


Jeff Challender has released the new video "What Is the Truth?". The second video examining NASA and its space encounters with 102 anomalous objects. These events were culled from 1400+ hours raw footage of ten live Shuttle flight broadcasts between Oct. 2000 and April 2002. VHS $25. Send orders to: Jeff Challender 2768 Mendel Way Sacramento, CA 95833-2011


Learn how you can obtain the best real estate agent for your needs. To get a free copy of this report e-mail me at

If you enjoy Filer's Files every week and want to support my efforts, please make a donation via PayPal
I am offering fourteen years of Filer's Files on a DVD with thousands of photographs and sightings for a donation of $50 that includes this year's subscription. Please include your e-mail address and mailing address.


For more detailed monthly investigative reports subscribe to the MUFON JOURNAL. A MUFON membership includes the Journal and costs only $35.00 per year. To join MUFON or to report a UFO go to To ask questions contact or Mention that I recommended you for membership.


Filer's Files is copyrighted 2002 by George A. Filer, all rights reserved. Readers may post the complete files on their Web Sites if they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue that the item appeared. These reports and comments are not necessarily the OFFICIAL MUFON viewpoint. Send your letters to Sending mail automatically grants permission for us to publish and use your name. Please state if you wish to keep your name, address, or story confidential. CAUTION, MOST OF THESE ARE INITIAL REPORTS AND REQUIRE FURTHER INVESTIGATION.


George A. Filer and

Please subscribe or see the Filer's Files website for images in this weeks issue.