Skip to main content.

UFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 2
Number 33
August 17, 1997
Editor: Joseph Trainor


Two towns in East Devon are the focus of the latest UFO flap in the UK.

On Sunday, July 27, 1997, six people in the towns of Budleigh Salterton and Tiverton sighted UFOs.

The following day, Monday, July 28, 1997, three people in East Devon reported them. By the week's end, Friday, August 1, 1997, a total of 17 UFO sightings had been reported in the two towns.

The cases are being investigated by John Downes of the Exeter Strange Phenomena Research Group.

On Monday, August 4, 1997, at about 10 p.m., accountant Tracey Wilson saw a UFO from her bedroom window in Tiverton. She reported, "I went to open the window and saw this large orange-and-white light moving across the sky. The light glowed for about two minutes, flashed brilliantly and then disappeared."

Barry Payne, from Dawlish, near Exmouth, saw a mysterious light in the sky at 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday, August 5, 1997 while walking his dog. He reported, "I saw a bright azure and white light flying slowly above me. It seemed to zigzag a little, and I remember thinking it was headed north towards Exmouth."

William Frazier-Jennings of Budleigh Salterton told the Western Daily Press that he saw a UFO on Sunday, August 10, 1997, at 9:30 p.m., adding, "It just appeared and moved slowly. I walked in to get my binoculars and saw it hover for about four minutes and then black out."

(See the Western Daily Press of Bristol, England for August 12 and August 13, 1997. Many thanks to Andy Jepson for posting these news stories in USENET.)


On Friday, August 8, 1997, at 9:30 p.m., glowing UFOs appeared over the small city of Riachao do Jacuite in the state of Bahia, in northern Brazil. Two dozen observers watched the lights hover for 30 seconds before flying off at high speed.

Riachao do Jacuite is 200 kilometers (120 miles) northwest of Salvador, the capital of Bahia state.

The sighting followed two days of UFO reports from Salvador itself. On Wednesday afternoon, August 6, 1997, pedestrians in Sao Caetano, a district in the northern end of the city, "saw a strange object floating in the sky."

On Friday morning, August 8, 1997, witnesses saw "two opaque objects of great size, accompanied by 30 smaller disc-shaped objects, crossing the sky." The UFO formation moved from Sao Caetano westward over the Bahia de Todos os Santos (Bay of All Saints) to a large offshore island called Itaparica.

The previous Saturday, August 2, 1997, "dozens of people" in the town of Nova Dias Daovila "saw a giant object" which they claim resembled "a fish emerging from a river." The UFO reportedly "danced in the sky" before flying away "over the Sertao."

Brazilian ufologist Emanuel Paranhos gathered hundreds of eyewitness accounts of the flap, including UFO sightings in Biribeira, Cascalheira, Nascente and Areal.

On Wednesday, August 6, Paranhos reported, "As it grew dark, an object appeared floating in the sky, in the east, and visited Pituba. Observers saw a brilliant green and violet light over the center of the city."

(See the newspaper A Tarde of Salvador, Bahia for August 11, 1997. Muito obrigado a Pedro Cunha por eses casos.)


On Monday, August 11, 1997, at 11:15 p.m., a UFO emerged from the cloudy skies over the Pacific Ocean and slowly overflew Magdalena del Mar, a seaside suburb of Lima, the capital of Peru.

The UFO finally hovered at 300 meters (990 feet) above the ocean just offshore from Seguridad Ciudadana- Serenazgo, the central police station for Magdalena del Mar. A policeman on sentry duty noticed the hovering object and sounded the alarm.

Responding to the call was a Policia Metropolitana cruiser, which parked in a shoreside soccer field. The officers trained their spotlight on the UFO, which they described as "an object with its own light, reddish in color, with a black point in the interior."

Civilian witnesses also gathered in the soccer field and along the chainlink fence. (Like nearby San Isidro, Magdalena del Mar is on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Safety fences line the cliff's edge--J.T.)

As the police officers observed the UFO with their binoculars, the object "moved in a diagonal fashion." They then left the field "for reasons of security," but soon returned, accompanied by other police cruisers.

When they turned their spotlights on it, the UFO rapidly moved to a higher altitude and a little further out to sea. Then the UFO emitted "a powerful beam of light, which moved from left to right" along the shore, illuminating houses and the eight police cruisers in the field.

Shortly after midnight, the Peruvian media arrived. As Lima TV crews trained their videocameras on it, the UFO "moved slowly and diagonally, and then it zigzagged," still remaining out at sea.

The standoff continued until 3 a.m. when the UFO retreated westward into the Pacific Ocean. (Muchas gracias a Angel Araujo para esas noticias.)

(Editor's Comment: The UFOs are striking close to home! I used to live on the Avenida Petit Thouars in Lince, less than five miles from Magdalena del Mar, back in the 1970s.)


On Wednesday, July 15, 1997, at 2 a.m., Rodrigo Fuenzalida, president of AION, the Chilean UFO study group, and astronomer Carlos Ibanez were guests on the nighttime talk show "Radio Mineira" when they received a UFO report from a listener.

The caller reported "some strange lights in the sector of Lo Canas" that were "glowing, turning on and off very slowly. This light also made some very fast movements."

"After awhile, it split into two lights," Fuenzalida reported. "They flashed and turned on and off for a while. Then the second light split in two, and there were three lights blinking on and off. Then the third light split in two, making it four lights."

Fuenzalida said over 30 people witnessed the spectacle from the roof of the radio station before the lights vanished at 5 a.m. (Muchas gracias a Luis Sanchez Perry para esas noticias.)


On Sunday, August 10, 1997, at around 9:45 a.m., Randy S. of Austin, Texas "was watching TV and switched to the NASA Channel for news of the ongoing (Discovery) shuttle mission."

"At the time they were broadcasting a nighttime view of Earth," Randy reported. "As I watched, I was surprised to see a light rising vertically from the bottom of the screen where the Earth was displayed. As it rose vertically, the shuttle camera began to track the light and kept the picture centered on it."

"After it rose well above the horizon of the Earth, the light made an apparent 90-degree turn to the right and continued off in that direction. The shuttle camera continued to track the object and began to zoom in for a closer look. At that point, NASA cut off the (live) feed from the external camera and displayed the Houston Space Center instead."

"Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to record this on my VCR," he added. "The entire episode lasted less than a minute, so I was unable to get the VCR ready in time."

(Many thanks to Tim Hagemeister of NACOMM for this story.)


Manitowoc County in Wisconsin reported its second week of UFO sightings, with two in the vicinity of County Highway G. Manitowoc (population 32,547), a port city on Lake Michigan, is approximately 82 miles (131 kilometers) north of Milwaukee. The area has a long history of UFO activity dating back to the "airship sensation" of 1897.

On Saturday, August 9, 1997, a Franklin man and his two sons "spotted it (a UFO) from their van while driving north (at) about 11:35 p.m. on County Highway G south of Maple Grove.

The UFO hovered silently in the sky for about 15 seconds over a woods, then descended rapidly, almost as if crashing, he told the Manitowoc, Wisconsin Herald Times Reporter. He described the UFO as "large and triangular with three reddish-orange lights."

"It was the strangest thing," he said, "There was no sound. Not a cricket, not a dog, not a frog. Nothing."

At 11:55 p.m., the man's family "was sitting in its living room when his daughter saw the second UFO."

This was another triangular UFO with "rounded corners but with the same reddish-orange lights. It hovered for a few minutes, then disappeared as quickly as the first."

"I should have run and got the 35mm camera. But I was so awestruck by it," he said. (See the Manitowoc, Wisconsin Herald Times Reporter for August 8, 1997. Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this story.)


UFOs returned to Bloomington, Indiana (population 51,646) for the third time this year last week, but the local ufologists were ready for them.

The city, located 51 miles (83 kilometers) southwest of Indianapolis, was visited by UFOs "every night last week," according to local ufologist Lynn Taylor.

"My daughter Jana and I saw something almost every night last week, outside our home north of Bloomington," Taylor reported. "On Thursday evening just after 1 a.m. (actually Friday, August 8, 1997) I was able to get a video of a yellow/orange light, as it floated silently over the trees south of my house. It moved east to west, then changed course and headed north. I saw some mighty strange aircraft, as well. Two had a bright white 'headlight' in front, with a long red light (more like a red line of light) trailing. It had a jet engine noise, but was very quiet."

"Another aircraft, on a previous night, had five white lights arranged in an arc, or 'bow' fashion, with a red light in the center of the plane. I believe it may have had a dim white light in the rear. Again, it was very quiet." (Copyright 1997 by Lynn Taylor, all rights reserved. Many thanks, Lynn, for letting UFO ROUNDUP quote from your report.)


Brazilian ufologist Vitorio Pacaccini recently returned from a trip to Cuiaba, capital of Mato Grosso state. While in Cuiaba, he learned some new facts about the reported UFO crash in the Serra Azul, 70 kilometers (42 miles) from Nova Brazilandia.

Pacaccini, who lives in Belo Horizonte, M.G., is best known as the investigator who publicized the UFO crash and retrieval at Vargniha, M.G. on January 20, 1996. His book on the incident, O CASO VARGINHA, was published last April in Brazil.

His first stop was the national capital, Brasilia, where he spoke with "some friends in the Army Command." They "assured me that nothing 'fell' from the skies. It was 'shot down.' The object was first detected by CINDACTA (Brazil's NORAD-J.T.) on July 1, and the defense people are kind of in a red alert. In his words, 'They are sleeping with one eye open these days.'"

Pacaccini also learned that the Servico Inteligencia do Exercito (Military Intelligence Service, a.k.a. S-2) "took care of the whole thing quickly."

According to his sources, S-2 retrieved and removed the crashed saucer from Divino Fogoio's Bela Vista farm between July 3 and July 22, the day Pacaccini arrived in Brasilia.

Flying to Cuiaba, Pacaccini visited a retired Army captain and his family. The captain issued a blunt warning.

"Don't go to that area," he told Pacaccini. "They know who you are. They don't want the UFO-marketing TV boy sniffing around there."

The captain said there was "nothing there any more. The farm caretaker (Gilberto Braga) is now denying everything. The farm owner (Divino Fogoio) is always traveling--that's what they say if you ask for him. There are several disguised S-2 agents around (the farm), carrying guns...If you ask for help out there, there won't be many people to listen to you. You'll be an easy target."

Pacaccini also learned that someone had been planting false "crash stories" in other towns around Mato Grosso, such as Rosario Oeste, Arruda and Marzagao.

Pacaccini admitted that he had returned "with empty hands (but) at least I tried to do something." He added, "If we had had someone (a ufologist) close to that area (on July 1), things would have been quite different."


Cadborosaurus, British Columbia's seagoing dinosaur, was seen twice during July by a family in Mill Bay, B.C.

Timothy and Laurice Mock, and their 14-year-old son, Christopher, were cruising up Pricess Louisa Inlet in their 24-foot powerboat. "Laurice was scanning the shoreline for bears while Tim was at the wheel, watching for logs. The sea was glassy, and since the sun had not risen above the mountains, the channel was still in shade. Tim noticed a large log up ahead and altered his course accordingly. Suddenly, the 'log' split into three pieces."

"'As we ran past it, it disappeared,' Tim said, 'And all that was left was a swirl in the water, a mini- whirlpool. The log was gone.'"

The second July sighting occurred as the Mocks "were dropping anchor near Homfray Channel, adjacent to Desolation Sound. Once again, the sea was flat calm and the surrounding water was exceptionally deep-- in some places up to 700 meters (2,310 feet)."

"'We were dropping anchor, and we were all on the foredeck. We had been poking along in the area for hours with no traffic," said Tim. Son Christopher said, 'What's that at the entrance?' When he looked up, Tim saw an unusual wake going back and forth with a parallel set moving along beside it."

"'It was weird. It (the wake) wasn't diminishing, and it wasn't in the direction it should have been. It was going along the shore rather than towards it.'"

Then Laurice Mock got a close look at the creature with her binoculars. "I got a good look at it," she said, "It had its head close to the water. It was like someone doing the breast stroke, like a snake."

Dr. Ed Bousfield, a retired cryptozoologist with the Royal British Columbia Museum, calls Cadborosaurus "a Mesozoic relic" and believes "the females come to shores of shallow estuaries to bear live young (similar to garter snakes.)"

Dr. Bousfield has collected over 200 accounts of Cadborosaurus sightings over the years. (See the Victoria, B.C. Times-Colonist for August 9, 1997. Many thanks to Loren Coleman and Brian Chapman for this news article.)


Residents of 17th Street in the Northside section of Sioux City, Iowa (population 82,003) reported hearing strange noises and finding Bigfoot tracks in their yards every night last week.

Lori Gabriel, who lives at 616 17th Street, said she "usually hears the noises from midnight to 5 a.m."

"The last four or five nights we have heard branches breaking, and there have been big footprints everywhere," she said. "Now I have found three different sets of footprints. It looked like Bigfoot, his wife, and Baby Bigfoot might have made them, like they were standing next to each other."

Although Ms. Gabriel hasn't seen Bigfoot, one of her tenants has. "Jeremy Corbin reported to the Sioux City Police Department Wednesday night (August 6, 1997) that he saw Bigfoot standing in front of his first-floor window. He said the animal was taller than 7 feet (2.5 meters) with reddish-brown hair."

"'I woke up about 5 a.m., and I saw this huge thing outside my window. It had its back to me, and I did not get a good glimpse of it because I did not have my glasses on. I had to squint to see it well, then it just disappeared,' he said."

"Gabriel also believes that Bigfoot is the one who has been letting her dog off the leash at night."

(See the Sioux City, Iowa, Journal for August 9, 1997. "Bigfoot and Family Visit Northside" by Jennifer Palmer, page A-8. Many thanks to Henry Franzon and Nathan Hetzel for forwarding this story.)


(Here are some more items from the little-known New Zealand "airship flap" of July 1909. Again, many thanks to New Zealand ufologist Murray Bott for sending us these items.)

On July 31, 1909, there was a UFO incident during the early morning hours at Greenvale, near Gore, South Island, N.Z. While feeding the horses, a Greenvale farmhand "heard a strange whirring sound which frightened the animals. On looking out, he saw an airship overhead about 150 feet long. It had head and tail lights and was moving so fast that, when he woke up his mates, the lights were faint in the distance. (See the Matsura Ensign of Gore, N.Z. for August 1, 1909.)

Also, early that morning, a resident of Grosvenor Street in Dunedin "reported seeing an airship. At one stage, he saw a light (bright yellow) shoot up what looked like a mast and stay at the top." (See the Dunedin, N.Z. Star for August 2, 1909.)

The afternoon of July 31, 1909, a resident of Fairfax "reported seeing an airship while he was at Akatore. At 4:55 p.m., he saw a dark object shoot over the brow of the hills in the east and rapidly climb towards the west. He got a side view of the object which he described as cigar-shaped but bulkier, with a box-like structure underneath in the centre." (See the Bruce Herald for August 2, 1909.)


The next issue of UFO ROUNDUP, volume 2, number 34, will appear on Thursday, August 21, 1997. The newsletter will then go on its annual hiatus for three weeks. Publication will resume on Sunday, September 14, 1997 with number 35.

This week, our readers in India are celebrating fifty years of independence. Oddly enough, tomorrow, August 18, marks the birthday of one of the most remarkable women in India's history. Born in 1900, Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit was the first woman to become prime minister of Uttar Pradesh state in India. Happy birthday, Vijaya!

We'll be back...on Thursday, remember...with more saucer news. Here's wishing you all an enjoyable week from "the paper that goes home--UFO ROUNDUP."

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1997 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post any item from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.