UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 6
Number 12
March 22, 2001

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"Hundreds of residents of Oxkutzcab witnessed last night (Thursday, March 8, 2001) the maneuvers of a strange luminous object that flew over the city for some 40 minutes."

Oxkutzcab is on the Yucatan Peninsula in southeastern Mexico, located about 120 kilometers (72 miles) southeast of Merida, the state capital.

"The unidentified flying object was observed at around 9 o'clock at night. Its appearance caused a variety of reactions among the townspeople, many of them screamed in excitement."

""It was the shouts and cries of these individuals which caused other residents to step out of their homes to see the UFO. Some even climbed up onto their rooftops. Although some pointed out that it could have been a kite, the majority seemed to agree that it was a dark object with a bright light issuing from it."

"Furthermore, in the time in which the luminous object flew over the city, there was no sound and no explanation could be found for the changing lights.. It was first seen in the north, and then in the west, and finally in the center of town. The sighting had a total duration of 40 minutes."

This was the second UFO sighting in the area recently. On February 1, 2001, "two brothers of this city were on their way to Mana when they saw a UFO."

"Antonio Bouzas, a researcher with Mexico's CONUESTAU group, noted that the UFO seen near Oxkutzcab could have been a military plane or a helicopter engaged in reconnaissance flights over the region."

"Interviewed about the subject, Antonio Bouzas commented that the object's flight characteristics lead him to believe that it was a military plane or helicopter which onlookers were unable to identify. He added that the flight characteristics of a military aircraft can be deceiving and that the true size of the vehicle cannot be determined." (See the Mexican newspapers Diario de Yucatan for March 9, 2001, "UFO flies over Oxkutzcab," and March 10, 2001, "Oxkutzcab UFO may have been a military aircraft." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales, autor de los libros Chupacabras and Other Mysteries y Forbidden Mexico y tambien Gloria Coluchi para esos articulos de diario.)

(Editor's Comment: Bouzas may be onto something. There was a black helicopter report from the Yucatan in April 1999.)


Italy's capital, Rome, had two UFO flyovers last week.

On Sunday, March 11, 2001, at 11:39 a.m., "several witnesses looking out a window on the west side of their apartment building observed a daylight disc moving in a rectilinear trajectory from south to north, The object was continually oscillating and alternately showing its bright sunlit side and dark shadowy side to the witnesses. One witness grabbed a camera and took a snapshot of the object as it streaked away towards the Mediterranean Sea."

The sighting is being investigated by Italian ufologists Stefano Innocenti and Matteo Leone.

On Wednesday, March 14, 2001, at 7 p.m., 'a large hovering red light' was observed by a Red Cross medical team responding to an emergency call. The team consisted of a physician, an orderly and the ambulance driver. The three witnesses 'saw a flame emanating from the light' and the light remained hovering in one spot for seven minutes. Then it changed color from red to white It then departed at a high rate of speed."

The medical crew was interviewed by Italian ufologist Gildo Persone. (Grazie a Eduardo Russo di Centro Italiano di Studi Ufologici per questo rapporto.)


Elk City further cemented its reputation as the "saucer capital" of Oklahoma last week when two more UFOs were seen flying over the community.

On Wednesday, March 14, 2001, at 10 p.m., "two unidentified flying objects flew over Elk City, Okla. and they were seen by several local residents. The objects flew at an estimated (altitude of) 500 feet. The objects were about 45 degrees above the horizon. They moved from the northwest to the southeast. in less than two minutes. The objects displayed one steady red light and one flashing red light. They moved in formation and stars were visible between the two objects."

Local ufologist Jim Hickman contacted the Elk City airport, the Clinton-Sherman regional airport, and Altus Air Force Base in western Oklahoma. He was told that no one had any aircraft in the (Elk City) area at that time."

However, an Elk City witness reported seeing "a small private plane" in the air at the same time as the UFOs. The plan displayed the standard Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) white navigation lights, Hickman said, "as opposed to the objects' two red lights." (Many thanks to Jim Hickman for this report.)


On Saturday evening, March 19, 2001, two people from the Northwest Services Academy were hiking in the woods above Trout Lake, Washington, located about 40 miles (64 kilometers) northeast of Portland, Oregon when they saw "a bright object" land on Mount Adams.

The two quickly hurried down the trail to the Self-Mastery Earth Institute and alerted James A. Gilliland and his staff.

"When spotted, the two people, who will remain anonymous until we get their permission to use their names, moved quickly down to the ranch and told us to grab the camcorder," Gilliland reported. "We filmed the object from around 10 p.m. to 11:05 p.m.. The object traveled from the top of the mountain, moving over impassable terrain if it was on the ground. It was all over the mountain as if looking for something. ."

"It split into two objects, returning to one brilliant light on its way around the mountain. It would grow in intensity, dividing in two, and then each object would pit out a brilliant light as if they were still combined into one object. It was approximately 11 miles (18 kilometers) away. and there were four people who witnessed the event." (Many thanks to James A. Gilliland for this report.)


On Tuesday, February 20, 2001, at 1:15 a.m., a family of three from Farmington, New Mexico were driving home when they spotted a brilliant flash in the sky west of Grand Junction, Colorado.

The wife reported, "My husband, my daughter and I were driving home from Grand Junction, Colo. over Red Mountain Pass when we saw a huge greenish ball in the sky. It was not a meteor and it gave the snow a greenish cast. It went behind Engineers Peak while traveling slowly to the southeast. I was so shocked I'm not sure of the direction of the sighting, but I know that it was no low-flying jet."

Grand Junction is about 300 miles (480 kilometers) west-southwest of Denver, the state capital. (Many thanks to Peter B. Davenport of the National UFO Reporting Center and Rev. Billy Dee for this report.)


On Sunday, February 18, 2001, at 6:25 p.m., a small private plane was making its approach into the airport in Mobile, Alabama, when the youthful pilot spotted a blue UFO.

There were three people aboard the aircraft--the young man who was the pilot, his brother, and a male friend of their father, who was serving as the "check pilot." According to the witness, his "Dad's friend is a commercial and instrument-rated pilot."

The young pilot described the UFO as "a large blue light, fast-moving." He added, "I'm a private pilot. I had just gone flying and was on my way home when, to the left of me, a blue light appeared and shot forward at an incredible rate of speed. It then arced upward and streaked into the sky."

At the time of the encounter, their single-engine propellor plane was passing over Irvington, Alabama, near Mobile. (Many thanks to Peter B. Davenport of the National UFO Reporting Center and Rev. Billy Dee for this report.)


"Dime-sized dollops of dung rained from the sky over Sevier County" in central Utah "this week, spattering a house and leaving health officials knee-deep in befuddlement as to their origin."

"The mess dropped Monday," March 12, 2001 "over a home on the outskirts of Richfield, covering two sides of the house and showering over the back yard and the hot tub, which was covered."

"The homeowner was gone at the time and discovered the mess just before 6 p.m. By then the spots appeared to be about three hours old."

"Health officials tested the splotches and confirmed the presence of coliform bacteria, including E. coli, confirming that the mess was fecal matter from an unknown source."

"The homeowner was advised to wash the mess away with disinfectant."

"'It could be very risky. Feces can carry viruses and other things that cause illness or health problems (like typhoid!--J.T.)," said Guy Dansie, an environmental scientist with the Central Utah Public Health Department."

""No one can say for sure where the mess originated."

"When a similar gooey mess hit Salt Lake County in the spring of 1999, homeowners blamed aircraft for dumping septic tanks while flying over the are, but this mess was devoid of any tell-tale blue chemicals used in jetliner toilets, and officials from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) maintain that aircraft do not have the ability to void their tanks while flying."

The feces "appeared to have come straight down from the sky, Dansie said, 'There was a spatter mark every three or four inches. It was quite a mess.'" (See the Salt Lake Tribune of Salt Lake City, Utah for March 15, 2001, "Dung rains on Sevier County home, leaving health officials mystified." Many thanks to Kenny Young of Cincinnati UFO Research for forwarding this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: Welcome to Scary Skies Week at UFO Roundup. I hope you're all finished laughing because what's about to follow is not at all funny.)


"Authorities closed a school in northern France on Friday," March 16, 2001 "after 16 children and two teachers fell ill with nausea and diarrhea in what is believed to be a poisoning outbreak."

"The shutdown came a day after a 15-year-old student at the Ecole Ernest Hemingway (school) in Port-en-Bessin, who had not reported feeling ill, died at home."

"The cause of his death was not known, and authorities were not immediately linking it to the suspected poisoning."

"Friday's closure was the second time this month that poisoning was suspected at the school."

"The school was closed March 8 after 32 students and two teachers were hospitalized , complaining of nausea and diarrhea."

"But it had only reopened for a day when the latest illnesses were reported."

"An inspection of the school's sewage system after the first closure uncovered a buildup of mud, which could have caused a release of toxic gases.."

"Plumbers were called in to clear the system before the school was reopened Thurday," March 15, 2001.

"School authorities said Friday that they were mystified by the source of the illnesses." (See the Chicago Tribune for March 16, 2002, "Authorities close school in wake of poisoning fears," page 8.)


Laboratory analysis of a Colorado chemtrail sample showed traces of red blood cells, a leading chemtrails researcher announced last weekend.

On Saturday, March 17, 2001, researcher Cliff E. Carnicom announced that a private lad had performed High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) tests on a chemtrail sample taken from a high-altitude station in Aspen, Colorado. The sample was trapped in an air filter, brought to the lab and given five days of chemical and microscopic analysis utilizing microscopes set at 2000X magnification.

"The air filter was exposed for a duration of five days at approximately 15 feet (5.5 meters) above ground," Carnicom said.

"The HEPA filter clearly shows a frequent presence of biological material Again, the most visual analysis available at this time indicates that these cellular materials appear to be erythrocytes (red blood cells--C.E.C.) This is indicated by the uniformity, the color and the bi-concave nature of the cells," he added, "Encapsulating or binding materials again surrounded the majority of the cells that are found."

Carnicom noted that the results of the Aspen HEPA filter test "were exactly identical to the HEPA analysis of the electrostatic precipitation from Santa Fe, New Mexico," gathered weeks ago. (Many thanks to Cliff E. Carnicom for this news release.

(Editor's Note: Another lab analysis of chemtrail precipitates showed a high concentration of barium sulfate.)


Chemtrails continue to be spotted in various parts of the USA.

On Friday, March 9, 2001, journalist Christopher Bollyn reported, "I photographed several planes producing what appeared to be such 'chemtrails,' i.e. non-water vapor trails, over Gaffney, in upstate South Carolina."

"Several planes, sometimes flying in tandem, left suspicious contrails across the clear blue sky, which did not disappear like the usual short-lived contrails left by other planes in the same area. These thicker trails appeared to come from the tails of the planes and gradually spread out to become cirrus-like clouds."

"However, these clouds displayed unusual characteristics quite unlike naturally occurring clouds. When the afternoon sun shone through this artificial haze, a halo with an oddly-colored rainbow could be seen around the sun but the colors of the so-called 'rainbow' looked more like an oil rainbow when seen on water rather than a true rainbow. "While on a shopping trip near Hudson, N.Y., 50 miles (80 kilometers) north of New York City, Dr. Julie Bjornson reported, "I viewed about a dozen chemtrails crisscrossing the sky. My brother, a pilot, has seen them in Florida and assures me they are not the normal condensation trails of commercial aircraft."

"By my arrival home, I was coughing and wheezing," she added, "Perhaps our government is mass inoculating us against a threatened plague or perhaps it is practicing for retaliatory germ warfare." (See The Spotlight for March 26, 2001, "Government tightlipped about Carolina contrails," page 4; and for March 12, 2001, page 19.)


Three severe earthquakes rocked countries in Central and South America last week.

On Thursday, March 15, 2001, a strong earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale shook the foothills of the Andes Mountains in western Argentina. The epicenter of the quake was north of the city of San Juan, located 325 kilometers (190 miles) west of Buenos Aires, the national capital.

Damage to houses was reported in San Juan and the nearby towns. Aftershocks were also felt in neighboring provinces, including La Rioja and Cordoba.

Later the same day, an earthquake measuring 5.0 on the Richter scale struck on the other side of the Andes in Chile. The epicenter of this quake was 12 kilometers (7 miles) north of the port city of Valparaiso, according to the Instituto Nacional de Prevencion Seismica. Valparaiso is located 100 kilometers (60 miles) west of Santiago de Chile, the national capital.

On Sunday, March 18, 2001, an earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale shook the Pacific Ocean coastline of the Central American nation of Nicaragua. The quake struck at 9:42 a.m., emptying homes and churches in the cities of Leon and Chinandega.

According to the Instituto Nicaraguense de Estudios Territoriales, the major damage was done on the shores of the Golfo de Fonseca. The epicenter of the quake was at the volcano Mount Casiguina, located approximately 100 kilometers (60 miles) northeast of Managua, the national capital. There was "violent earth movement" at Mount Casiguina, "and giant fissures opened in the ground." Trembling was also felt in Managua itself. (Muito obrigado aos Visitantes Cosmicas por esas informacoes.)

(Editor's Comment: Since the first quake in El Salvador on January 17, 2001, we have seen an unprecedented series of severe earthquakes, all measuring 5.0 or above on the Richter scale. Yet the mainstream media refuses to cover them. Why is this major ongoing news story being ignored?)


The space shuttle Discovery has made history on this flight, including an epic nine-hour spacewalk by the astronauts on Sunday, March 11, 2--1. But the flight has been enlivened by a pair of false alarms.

"The three new residents of the International Space Station got a scare on their first day when a smoke alarm went off. It turned out to be a false alarm. The Russian commander and his American crewmates were relieved about that but irritated by an apparently unrelated computer problem that prevented them from quickly accessing all the precautionary measures on a screen, NASA said. Space shuttle Discovery had undocked ten hours earlier," on Sunday, March 18, 2001, "to carry the space station's first crew home."

On Wednesday, March 14, 2001, "a warning of a possible collision between a piece of space junk and the International Space Station turned out to be a false alarm, NASA said."

"Astronauts used thrusters on the space shuttle Discovery, then docked to the space station, to boost the orbit of the outpost by about 10 miles (16 kilometers) Wednesday. "

"Mission Control's worry was a shoebox-sized piece of a foot restraint that floated away from the shuttle-station complex Sunday," March 11. "Ground trackers sent up a warning that that the debris was on a near-collision course with the station, but officials later said that the readings had been wrong." (See USA Today for March 16, 2001, "Station collision warning a false alarm," page 3A, and for March 20, 2001, "Space station's crew gets brief scare on first day," page 3A.)


In last week's issue, UFO Roundup volume 6, number 11 for March 15, 2001, we ran a story entitled "Reptoid sighted in Baja California" on page 1. The text mentions that the two Mexican police officers sighted the creature on the beach near the thermoelectric plant in Rosarito, B.C, Mexico on "February 29." The actual date of the sighting was Wednesday, February 28, 2001.

Also in last week's issue in the "Triangular UFO seen over Lake Erie" we mentioned Port Erie, this should have been Fort Erie. UFO Roundup regrets the typographical errors.

From the UFO Files...


A little over 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Oneonta in New York state, near the West Branch of the Delaware River, is a little town called Delhi. Just down Route 10 from Delhi is one of the strangest spots in New York--Cat Hollow.

This small valley on the rim of the high Catskill Mountains has been the site of many strange happenings dating back to the days of the Dutch colonists, when the valley was originally known as Spook Woods.

"Spook Woods deserved its name, because everyone knew that it was full of mystery. In fact, it was said that even dullwitted cattle would suddenly rush away in panic at what they had encountered. Certainly horses would balk at taking the road which ran through Spook Woods. The local people usually managed to go through Spook Woods only in broad daylight and preferably with company."

""A farmhand named Williams, the story goes, had been hired to work on a farm on the other side of the woods from his home. Williams had heard tales of Spook Woods, as who hadn't? But he was a big, rugged and ordinarily fearless man , who paid little attention to the tales of witches, spooks and supernatural happenings in the deep meadows."

"However, one winter night as he returned home through the woods on foot, he did feel a certain uneasiness. Perhaps it was because of the full moon which cast odd shadows along the side of the road, he reassured himself. But as he reached the center of the wooded stretch, he realized that one shadow was hurrying along ahead of him. The shadow was more than a trick of the moonlight, for it was moving quickly over the snow along the roadside."

As he hurried to pass it, he saw to his astonishment that the shadow was made by two cats who were dragging an obviously dead cat between them. What a strange way for animals to act, he thought.

"He quickened his steps to pass them. The cats hurried too and kept right up with him. Then, to his increasing horror, one of them called him by name."

"Yo, Williams!"

The farmhand stared in amazement. "Wha-What do you want?"

"We just want to talk to you," the other cat said.

"I-I don't want to talk," Williams babbled, taking hasty steps to get away.

What am I--nuts!? he thought, I'm having a conversation with cats.

"He knows too much," said the first cat, "Get him!"

Williams started running in earnest. "You cats better not try anything!"

"Yeah!?" the second cat replied, "What are you going to do about it?"

"Startled as he was, he wouldn't--he couldn't--stop. The terrified man began to run, desperately anxious to get out of the woods as fast as possible."

"The cats, slowed down by their burden, could not match his speed, but just as he was leaving the thick woods for the open country, one of them screeched in a loud, clear and almost human voice, "Mr. Williams, oh, Mr. Williams, when you get home, tell Molly Meyers that she can come home now; old man Hawkins is dead."

"Terribly shaken by his experience, Mr. Williams raced on to the security of his home. but when re reached the warm, friendly atmosphere he hesitated to tell his harrowing experience."

"Later in the evening, when his family was sitting around the fireplace, he half-jokingly told about it, and finally repeated the odd message one of the cats had cried out after him."

"To everyone's astonishment, the old white cat lying by the hearth sprang to her feet , and without once looking back, leaped up the chimney right over the burning logs and was never seen again."

"Had 'Molly Meyers' at last gone home?"

Yet this wasn't the only weird incident in Delhi, N.Y. In the 1830s, logging began in Spook Woods, furnishing lumber for the rapidly growing New York City downstate, and a lumber camp was built in the hollow.

The woods were "known as Cat Hollow since 1843. At that time there was a lumber camp operating in the valley that was dominated by an Amazon of a cook. Not only did she knock out the bully who killed her cat, but further punished the whole crew by by serving her pet in a surprise meat pie."

Famous last words at the lumber camp: "Well, Mrs. Lecter said it was cat meat."

Cat Hollow also played a small role in the Hollywood movie industry and in particular, in the career of movie director Val Lewton.

He was born Vladimir Ivanovich Leontonov in Yalta, Crimea, Russia on May 7, 1904. When he was five years old, his divorced mother brought him to the USA to live with his aunt, Russian actress Alla Nazimova, who had bought an estate near Tarrytown, N.Y.

Lewton attended Columbia University and wrote ten novels, including the Depression era classic No Pillow For Her Head. In the 1930s, he came to Hollywood and worked first for David O. Selznick and later for RKO.

In 1918, when Val was a teenager, his mother and aunt sent him to a private military school near Oneonta, N.Y. While a student there, he heard the legends of Cat Hollow and incorporated some of them, plus his actress aunt's many tales of Russian folklore, into the screenplay for his first big hit, the 1842 film Cat People, starring Simone Simon and Kent Smith.

Lewton did several classic horror movies for RKO and died in 1951 at the age of 47 from a heart attack.

Another distinguished visitor to Cat Hollow was none other than Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937). HPL, who once wrote of himself, "Grandpa Theobald loves his kitties," visited Delhi and Cat Hollow during his ramble through the Catskills in the 1920s.

(See the books Strangely Enough! by Carroll A. Gray, Sterline Publishing Co., New York, N.Y., 1959, pages 121 and 122; New York--A Guide to the Empire State, Oxford University Press, New York, N.Y., 1940, page 502; and Val Lewton--The Reality of Terror by Joel Siegel, London, 1972, pages 27 to 34.)

That's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next week.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2001 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol. 6 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v06/rnd06_12.shtml