UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 7
Number 21
May 21, 2002

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


On Sunday, May 12, 2002, at 10:30 p.m., the three witnesses--Manoj, Vinod and Ashwath--were outdoors in Chennai, a town near Madurai in Tamil Nadu state in southern India, trying to cool off in the midst of the region's worst heat wave ever. That's when they spotted a strange glow coming from the south.

"At about 10:30 p.m., we spotted an object that emitted red and bluish lights," Manoj reported. Immediately they fetched a pair of Zeiss binoculars and studied the intruder more closely. "It seemed to have three propellors (rotors--J.T.) when seen through the binoculars."

"After awhile, it began changing its position, and we could make out a vague ring-like structure around it."

"Soon we also spotted two diamond-like structures side by side, emitting (multi-coloured) lights like a crystal spectrum. It seemed to move around a particular region of the sky, which could not be figured out. The diamond-shaped UFOs were white or bluish-white with a red centre. They were shaped vaguely like a diamond top. It (the first UFO) was moving at an extremely high speed which made it difficult to photograph." (Email Form Report)

(Editor's Note: The unprecedented heat wave in Tamil Nadu saw the mercury rise to 120 degrees Fahrenheit on Friday, May 17, 2002, resulting in a death toll of 628 people.)


Simon Gibbard and his wife Jill lived for many years in Truro, Cornwall, UK. As members of the Cornwall UFO Society, they investigated and discussed sightings in that area. Then Simon landed a job in Egypt, and he and Jill moved to Cairo.

But little did he suspect that a UFO might one day drop in for a visit.

Simon reported, "Great excitement I had the other day as for the third time in 20 years of scanning the skies, I spotted a great UFO."

"The date--Thursday, May 16 (2002); the time--10:07 a.m. local (Cairo) time. The place--my office in Cairo, an area called Katamaya, where my large office window looks out toward the pyramids, although they are not in view and are around 25 kilometers (15 miles) away. Conditions were an absolutely blue sky and no clouds."

"I happened to look out and noticed what at first appeared to be a white paper bag high in the sky. Further looking revealed it was a bright ball of light. And although I found it hard to judge altitude, I would say it was around 30,000 feet (9,500 meters) and moving."

"I at first started to go through the motions of possible identification. It could not have been a plane as there was no vapour" trail (condensation trail or contrail here in the USA; jetstream in Australia--J.T.) And also it (the UFO) seemed to be hovering and moving very slowly from right to left (at) about the same speed you would see a plane moving at a very high altitude. Except that this was a constant ball of light--no vapour--and after 6 to 7 minutes of viewing" it was "not actually going anywhere, as any aircraft would."

"I was fortunate to have a tinted-glass (office) window, so I started to discount that it (the UFO) was something on my glasses." Simon then opened the window "and the object was still there. I also took different angles to view it, again convincing myself it was genuine. I then placed my finger against the glass in line with the object to track movement, and it moved left to right, then slightly up, then back to left to right at uniform speed."

"Best part! While doing this with my finger still, it (the UFO) all of a sudden went about six to seven times its (previous) speed (from) right to left, and stopped dead. Difficult to explain or show in an email, but what it covered in distance in 15 seconds (previously) it quickly did in two (seconds) and stopped motionless again."

"At this point, I went to get my secretary, and when I came back ten seconds later, it had gone."

"I looked and thought, How can it disappear from the middle of the sky so quickly when it took so long to cover the same distance earlier?"

Simon and Jill want to "hear from anyone else fortunate enough to have" seen or heard about UFOs over Cairo and northern Egypt last week. (Email Report)

(Editor's Comment: What do the UFOs want in Egypt? Well, the answer may lie with a recent archaeological excavation near the Pyramid of Redjedef, just outside of Cairo. See the pyramid story later in this issue.)


On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 8:30 p.m., the witness C.R. was driving through Turangi township near Taupo, in the center of New Zealand's North Island, when he spotted a slow-moving object approaching from the north.

"I was going to pick up some friends to go out fishing," C.R. reported, "Just as I was driving past Turangi township, I noticed a light just above the houses. As we have a lot of aircraft passing over, I assumed it was a helicopter. So I pulled over and wound (rolled down in the USA--J.T.) my window, but there was no noise."

"I freaked out because I have a passion for choppers, and I knew this wasn't one. I picked up my friend and still heard nothing as it flew over our car at about 20 feet (6 meters) off the ground.. There were no flashing (navigational) lights or what you would expect from a conventional aircraft."

"We carried on to another friend, and he and his wife were looking at it as we pulled up to his house. She had seen red and blue lights on it. But the light I saw was white, and it didn't seem to have a reflection, if you can understand that."

"As we stood in my friends' backyard, it made a 45-degree climb and (then) seemed to be motionless. But approximately 20 to 30 seconds later,it had disappeared like a space shuttle would out of the atmosphere. It was 200 to 300 metres (660 to 1,000 feet in length) and departed just southwest of Turangi township."

"I would like a feedback on this, as I can't comprehend what it could have been," C.R. said, adding that his friend's wife told him that there had been other reports of UFOs in recent issues of the local newspaper, the Taupo Times. (Email Form Report)


A sudden surge of mysterious "fireballs" have been reported at and around Mount Dandenong in Australia's state of Victoria.

On Sunday,April 28, 2002, at 5:30 p.m., eyewitness "Sarah reported seeing a very bright starry-like object hovering in the west" in Footscray, Vic.

A few hours later, at 9:10 p.m., in Fern Tree Gully, Vic., eyewitness "Andrew saw two 'giant fireballs' traveling west toward Fern Tree Gully,close to Mount Dandenong. Andrew (also) saw a plane which was airborne at the time. The plane was at about the same height (altitude) as the fireballs. The two fireballs were larger than any plane and very bright. They flew horizontally and 'flew a fair amount faster than the plane.'"

On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 11:32 p.m., at Boronia, Vic., in the foothills of Mount Dandenong, eyewitness "Simone saw a big, fast-moving fireball in our atmosphere, travelling horizontally from north to southeast. It did not change direction, nor did it descend. A few sparks were seen. There was no sound."

Mount Dandenong is southeast of Melbourne, the capital of Victoria.

Investigating the Footscray sighting, ufologist George Simpson of AUFORN Vic. said there was a strong possibility that the witness had been looking at the planet Venus, then prominent in the western sky. (Many thanks to Diane Harrison of Australian UFO Research Network, AUFORN, for these reports.)


On Friday, March 15, 2002, at midnight, the witness reported, "I was outside at work for a break when I saw an object at very low altitude traveling from south to north over the city of Sheboygan," Wisconsin (population 50,792) "I didn't think nothing of it, but I didn't hear a sound, and there was a bright light in front that was shining on the ground in a sweeping motion. It was around midnight, and the light then disappeared."

"Then there were three large flashes of light to the east of our building, and the power went out. I called the (Sheboygan) police department, and they stated that the power was out in a six-block area where I work."

The mysterious blackout "was more widespread to the north of the city. They had no idea why the power was interrupted."

"I then called the (Sheboygan County) Sheriff's department, and the person there told me that a deputy had spotted the object but could not identify it. The Sheriff's department called the airports in Milwaukee, Green Bay and Sheboygan County, and no one could say if there was a plane in the area. The sheriff's official also told me that they had received several (telephone) calls about the same low-flying object."

Sheboygan is on the western shore of Lake Michigan, located approximately 56 miles (89 kilometers) north of Milwaukee. (Many thanks to John Hoppe of UFO Wisconsin for this report.)


Reports relating to the March 2002 UFO flap continue to trickle in from Canada's British Columbia province. Ufologist Brian Vike is still interviewing eyewitnesses in the region.

One sighting took place during the week of March 18 to March 24, Vike reported. The witness said, "I saw the UFO in the direction towards Morice Mountain," south of Houston, B.C. (population 3,934), a small town 188 miles (305 kilometers) west of Prince George,B.C. "It was a bright white light with an orange glow around it and was hovering just below the mountain (ridge) line. I watched it for about two minutes before it disappeared."

During the week of April 21, 2002, a woman "was watching an object at approximately 11 p.m." The UFO "was west of the train bridge over the Bulkley River, heading towards Smithers, B.C. (population 5,624)," a town 40 miles (64 kilometers) west of Houston, B.C. "It hovered just above the treeline for about a minute. It was a very bright white light, and again an orange tinge or glow was reported. She reported (hearing) no sound due to being indeeors." (Many thanks to ufologist Brian Vike for these reports.)


"William Chavez Ariza, director of Contacto OVNI," the leading UFO group in Colombia, "reports that his group videotaped and photographed an ovoid orange UFO over the town of La Pena de Huaica, located 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Bogota," the national capital.

"The report stated that 300 people in the towns of Tabio and Tenjo, including the local alcalde (mayor), also witnessed during the day and during the night the appearance of strange lights performing all kinds of aerial maneuvers."

"For this reason, 15 ufologists from Contacto OVNI organized a skywatching vigil and, as a result, captured on video the maneuvers of the orange UFO. The ufology team videotaped the UFO for approximately 7 minutes. In addition, the team spotted another UFO of a distinct discoidal shape hovering over La Pena de Huaica."

"Chavez said the team will present the visual evidence of these sightings at the National Convention of Enigmas and Mysteries of the Universe, which will be held in Bogota from July 16 through July 21, 2002." (See NotiOVNI for May 19, 2002. Muchas gracias a Daniel Munoz para esas noticias.)


On Friday, May 10, 2002, Mexican ufologist Gerardo Sanchez "observed a series of brilliant lights passing over the Cerro de la Estrella (hill) to the east of Mexico City." For the second week in a row, the area continues to be a focal point for UFO activity.

"Sanchez reported the beams of light emitted by these strange objects illuminated large areas of the eastern horizon. Each unusual ray of light lasted 'for several seconds.' Sanchez also reported that UFO activity here 'has taken place almost nightly since the beginning of May.'"

Mexican ufologists have formed a Tema OVNI (Spanish for UFO Team--J.T.) and are converging on Cerro de la Estrella with videocameras, sound recording systems and other equipment to thoroughly document the phenomenon. (See NotiOVNI for May 19, 2002. Muchas gracias otra vez a Daniel Munoz para esas noticias.)


"Archaeologists have discovered the 110th pyramid to be uncovered in Egypt--the 4,500-year-old tomb of a queen whose identity remains a mystery, the country's antiquities director said Sunday," May 5, 2002.

"'When we discover in Egypt a tomb or a statue, it's something important,' said Dr. Zahi Hawass, director of Egypt's Supreme Council of the Antiquities. 'But when we discover a pyramid, it's the most important thing.'"

"The latest discovery was made by a Swiss team excavating the tomb of the Fourth Dynasty pharoah Redjedef, son and successor of Cheops--also known as Khufu--of Great Pyramid fame."

(Editor's Note: Cheops was the Greek name for Khufu.)

"The Swiss archaeologists were clearing sand from the desert around Redjedef's unfinished tomb just outside Cairo when they found an unmistakable shape: sharply-cut blocks rising just a few feet above a square base of just five-by-five yards (about 25 square meters--J.T.)."

"The discovery 'was completely by accident,' Dr. Hawass said."

"The site is just a few miles from" the Great Pyramid, whose construction is attributed to Khufu. "Redjedef ruled for a few years after" the death of Khufu "and may have been killed by his brother in an internecine power struggle."

"The Swiss archaeologists, who completed the two-month excavation of the (unknown) queen's pyramid found that it contained three chambers in addition to the tomb located about 15 feet (4.5 meters) underground."

"Researchers did find a remnant of a limestone sarcophagus, some pottery and one alabaster jar of the type used to store organs removed from a body before it was mummified."

"The new pyramid's proximity to the much-larger pyramid of Redjedef and its small size indicate it was the tomb of a woman, probably the sister, daughter or wife of Redjedef."

"'All the evidence proves that a queen was buried in this pyramid,' Dr. Hawass said."

"She may have been both sister and wife to Redjedef, said Dr. Hawass, noting the only hieroglyphics found in the tomb spelled" the name of Khufu. Most queens' tombs found in Egypt bear no trace of the occupant's own name, Dr. Hawass said."

"In all, 110 pyramids have been found in Egypt, Dr. Hawass said. About twenty tombs atop which pyramids are set have also been found, he said." (Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for forwarding this news story.)


Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones premiered at 3,000 movie theatres in the USA last weekend and enjoyed the best opening weekend of any entry in the series, earning a total of $80 million at the box office.

Most popular of the cast was Yoda, the short, green, 900-year-old Jedi Master, who reportedly resided briefly on Earth 295 million years ago.

(Editor's Comment: What Luke called "the Dagobah system" in The Empire Strikes Back looks suspiciously like Earth of the Upper Carboniferous Period 295 million years ago. At one point in the film, R2D2 is swallowed and spit out by a rather large Icthyostega. I wonder how many metallic parts R2D2 left in the stomach of the amphibian. Boy, is that going to surprise the hell out of whichever geologist discovers this particular fossil.)

"An informal survey of fans shows that Yoda was hands down the favorite character of the film. The computer-generated Jedi knight finally gets to demonstrate why he's a master with a light saber, and his duel with Count Dooku (actor Christopher Lee) left audiences cheering."

"'I'm going to see it again tomorrow just for him,' says Luis Guillen, 33, of Portland, Oregon. 'I've been waiting for him to show us what he's got since Return of the Jedi.'"

"Dave Mueller, 22, of Faribault, Minnesota sums up the sequence this way: 'Yoda redefines the phrase, 'Bustin' out the whuppin' stick.''" (See USA Today for May 20, 2002, "Yoda cuts a swath to the top," page 3D.)



French reader Robert Cercot writes, "Hello, Joe! Some information about the French case in UFO Roundup (volume 7) number 19 (for May 7, 2002, "Mystery fireball crashes in eastern France," page 1): the name of the village is Marsannay-le-Bois. There are two villages called Marsannay in the Cote D'Or department. This one is 14 miles (22 kilometers) north of Dijon."

"Keep on informing us!"

From the UFO Files...


"Said a correspondent of a Newcastle-on-Tyne newspaper, written from Edinburgh," Scotland's capital, "on 25th May 1726."

"'We have an account from Airth, 18 miles (30 kilometers) from this city (Edinburgh), near to the influx of the Carron, of a very rare piece of antiquity found on the south bank of the (Firth of) Forth, viz. a canoe 36 feet (10.9 meters) long, 4 feet (1.3 meters) broad, in the middle, and 4 feet, 4 inches (1.4 meters) deep, also 4 inches (10 centimeters) thick along the sides. It is all of one piece of solid oak, sharp at the stem (bow) and square at her stern."

"The river washing away the banks discovered a part of her. She was ordered to be dug up by Mr. Graham, judge-admiral and proprietor of the place. What was discovered of her was found to be above (more than) 15 feet (4.5 meters) under the ground. It is remarkable that she is finely polished, being perfectly smooth on the outside, and inside the wood is of an extraordinary hardness and not one knot in the whole.'"

"Sir John Clerk says there lay above this ancient craft, strata of loam and clay, moss, sand and gravel. 'This ancient boat was found not far from Arthur's Oven, or 'Templum Termini.'"

What is intriguing about this ancient artifact is the depth from which it was recovered. Sir John's description of "loam and clay, moss, sand and gravel" provides some important clues. The "sand and gravel" is what geologists call till, a deposit laid down by the mile-high glaciers of the last advance of ice during the Pleistocene Period (a glaciation known as Wurm in Europe and Wisconsin in the USA--J.T.), which occurred around 25,000 B.C.

Since the dugout canoe was found in situ below the glacial till, it was clearly carved from a single giant oak before the final Pleistocene glaciation. During this last interglacial period, Scotland was part of the European mainland and was covered by a temperate maritime rain forest similar to the those of Canada's British Columbia province or Oregon, Washington state and southeastern Alaska in the USA. The oak trees which formed the material for building this boat were there in great numbers. But who could have built it?

From the description of Mr. Graham's work crew, the boat is of a style totally foreign to ancient Europe. Moreover, it is so well-made that it appears to have been cut and shaped by a machine. It doesn't quite fit the technology that was prevalent in the Paleolithic era (Old Stone Age) described by conventional science.

Did an unknown civilization exist in Scotland 30,000 years ago? Was this civilization wiped out by the last advance of the Pleistocene glaciers?

Chalk up another "Mystery of the Past." (See the book Secret Cities of Old South America by Harold T. Wilkins, Adventures Unlimited Press, Kempton, Illinois, 1998 edition, pages 428 and 429.)

(Editor's Comment: If the boat is still on display somewhere in Scotland, it might be interesting to do a Carbon-14 analysis of an oak sliver from the hull. But don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen. Before orthodox science will admit that an advanced civilization existed in the Pleistocene, they'll claim that Graham's boat was the dinghy from Noah's Ark.)

Well, that's it for this week. So Yoda's 'bustin' out the whuppin' stick,' is he? Now, I've got to see this movie. Your editor is on his way to the Superior 7 Cinema.
But he'll be back in seven days for more UFO, paraormal and Fortean news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2002 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their websites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol. 7 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v07/rnd0721.shtml