UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 9
Number 11
March 17, 2004

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"European scientists are examining an image of the Beagle 2 Mars lander, taken moments after it was spun off from the mother ship, that also shows an unidentified object."

"The mysterious blot on the photograph has been scrutinised as one of several potential reasons for the failure of the mission--Europe's first attempt to land a probe on the Red Planet."

Beagle 2 journeyed to Mars aboard the Mars Express. The craft's separation from the orbiter was successful, but when British scientists attempted to contact the lander on Christmas Day 2003, they received no reply. Further attempts proved equally fruitless, and Beagle 2 was presumed lost.

"Mission controllers told a London meeting that they were also considering the possibility that Beagle 2 simply crashed onto the surface of Mars because the atmosphere on the planet was less dense than expected."

"Scientists said they are examining photographs of the landing site that show four bright spots, dubbed 'the string of pearls,' that might be the Beagle 2's remains."

"Beagle 2 has not been heard from since it was ejected from the European Space Agency's Mars Express orbiter in mid-December (2003). The 143-pound probe gave no answering signal to scheduled attempts to contact it on Christmas Day and has remained stubbornly silent ever since."

Some British ufologists maintain that the image shows a UFO making an attack run on the Beagle 2 as it departed from the orbiter. (See The Scotsman for March 8, 2004, "Did UFO bring down Beagle?" Many thanks to Jim Hickman for this newspaper article. And be sure to visit Jim's Web site at http://www.thehickman report.com)


On Monday, March 8, 2004, at 9:30 p.m., Steve Nicklin and a friend "were walking across" Northicote Farm in Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK "nearby an old Tudor farmhouse" when "me and a friend saw a humanoid greyish figure with a human-type head standing in a tree (part of many trees that border the farm; these were tall pine trees, and the figure stood in the top branches--S.N.) We estimated its size at around 7 feet (2.1 meters). It had two legs and two arms connected to membrane-type wings. Its clawed arms seemed connected to these wings, a bit like a pterosaur."

"It moved its head and looked directly at us, since the moon was full and there were street lights not far away (the farm is near a heavily-used road--S.N.). It turned its head from us, took one giant leap and glided to the next tree. The tree bent under this creature's weight as it took the impact."

"It then turned its head to look at us once more. Its gaze felt that it could look into our very being. We both felt quite scared (even though my friend is an ex- artillery officer in the Territorial Army and has done a lot of night patrols--S.N.) We both fled quickly."

"We sat down and discussed what we had seen. It was a creature the like" of which "we had never seen before nor want to ever see again." (Email Form Report)


"Two (Islamic) suicide attackers stormed a Masonic lodge" in the Kartal district of Istanbul, Turkey's largest city, on "Tuesday morning (March 9, 2004), opening fire with automatic weapons that killed one person and wounded five, officials said."

"One of the attackers also died and one was injured in the assault, which comes four months after four suicide bombings blamed on Al-Qaeda killed dozens of people in Istanbul."

"There was no immediate claim of responsibility, Gov. Muammer Guler said."

"'Two assailants shot the guard in his feet and raked the restaurant of the lodge with gunfire, then detonated bombs,' Guler told reporters. 'One terrorist and one waiter were killed. The second terrorist is injured.'"

Turkish police "said the attackers strapped between 8 to 10 homemade pipe bombs to their vests. Guler said the explosives on one attacker detonated before the assailant entered the restaurant, where about 40 people were dining."

"Police cordoned off the area as ambulances and firefighters rushed to the scene in the residential Kartal district. At least one person was reported to be in critical condition, doctors said."

(Editor's Note: Kartal is on the east side of the Bosporus strait.)

"The injured attacker, who lost an arm and appeared to suffer abdominal injuries, could be seen angrily chanting slogans as he was taken to a hospital."

"A witness, Turabi Guneser, said that he heard a series of gunshots before the blasts."

"'I was near the window, and I heard two shots, which were followed by automatic gunfire,' Guneser said, 'Two blasts followed seconds later, and smoke covered the air.'"

"Witnesses quoted by the Turkish television news channel CNN-TURK said the men chanted Islamic slogans as they entered the building in the Kartal neighbourhood on the Asian side of Turkey's largest city about 10 p.m."

Following the attack, the Turkish Army's Second Armored Brigade Command sent investigators to Kadikoy, Maltepe, Kartal and Sultanbeyli, with orders to interview and detain "people who are in favor of the European Union and the United States and in high society." Investigators were told to pay particular attention to "members of sects, Satanist groups, the Ku Klux Klan and other Masonic groups."

According to Masonic authority Richard White, there are only 14,000 Masons in Turkey, an Islamic country of 800 million. The original Grand Lodge of Turkey was founded in the Eighteenth Century "in accordance with the Scottish Rite." In 1965, this lodge disbanded and most of its members joined the Grand Temple of Free and Accepted Masons of Turkey.

Turkish officials said the attack was carried out because "the man in the street thinks Masonic rites are akin to Judaic rites and are linked to Israel, which isn't the case." (See the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet for March 10, 2004. Also the Chicago Tribune for March 10, 2004, "Suicide bombers attack Masonic lodge in Turkey," section 1, page 3; and USA Today for March 10, 2004, "Blast at Masonic lodge kills two in Istanbul," page 10A. Many thanks to Mohammed Hajj al-Amdar and Ayesha al-Khatabi for the Hurriyet article.)

(Editor's Comment: This attack begins to make a little sense when you understand that there are Masonic traditions in Turkey that are older than the Scottish Rite, such as the Masonic Lodge of Constantine, which was linked to the Baktashi and the Naqshbandi sects of the mystic Sufi tradition in Islam. This looks like a case of initiates of the "pure" Egyptian mysteries going after the "foreign" or "infidel" Scottish Rite. I don't know who set off those bombs in Spain, but this attack definitely has the fingerprints of Al-Qaeda's Number Two, that Egyptian initiate Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri, all over it.)


"The secret induction ceremony in the basement of the (Masonic) temple Monday night (March 8, 2004) was only supposed to frighten William James, a way to build trust between the father of five and his fellow members of the Southside Masonic Temple" of Patchogue, N.Y. (population 11,919) "by letting him think he was placing his life in their hands."

"There were large rat traps, which James, 47, was made to place his nose beside. A 6-foot (1.8-meter) replica guillotine. And a plank he would be forced down, as if walking off the side of a ship."

"And there were the guns."

"Wearing a white cap and white pants but no shirt, in accordance with the ritual's traditions, James was seated along one side of the Patchogue, N.Y. temple's large basement. Behind his head, tin cans were placed on a platform, Suffolk County Homicide Detective Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said."

"And about 20 feet (6 meters) away, Albert Eid, 76, a trustee of the Fellowcraft Club, the club James was hoping to join, stood with two guns in his pockets."

"In his right pocket, he carried a loaded .32 caliber handgun, which he had told James would be used to knock over the cans."

"In his left, was a .22 caliber gun, similar in size and weight but filled only with blanks. That was the gun he was intending to fire, Fitzpatrick said. At the same moment, a member standing behind James would knock over the cans with a stick."

"But, in a tragic misstep, Eid reached into the wrong pocket and pulled out, then fired a single bullet that struck James in the nose and killed him, Fitzpatrick said."

"'We believe that it was completely accidental,' Fitzpatrick said, 'Clearly it was a poor decision to have that weapon in that proximity.'"

"James' death appears to be one of only two in the secret society's 250-year history, the first since Ben Franklin's era."

(Editor's Note: Two author's deaths have also been attributed to Freemasonry. In 1826, Capt. William Morgan disappeared in upstate New York under mysterious circumstances, following the publication of his book on Masonic rituals. Several men claiming to have been Masons later made deathbed confessions that Morgan had been kidnapped and killed, and then his body weighted down with chains and dumped in Lake Ontario near Sodus, N.Y. In 1849, Edgar Allen Poe was found dead in a Baltimore, Maryland street after his story, Never Bet the Devil Your Head, a satire on Freemasonry, was published. Curiously, Poe also wrote The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, a novel about a New Bedford, Mass. sailor who encounters aliens in Antarctica! See the book Masonic Assassination by Michael A. Hoffman.)

"'This was not a Masonic lodge meeting, and no formal and approved Masonic ceremonies were scheduled to take place this evening. Firearms play no role in Masonic Lodge meetings or Masonic events of any kind,' said Grand Master of Masons Carl Fitje, the highest-ranking Mason in the state of New York."

"Eid, a retired plumber and licensed pistol holder who lives in Patchogue," a town on the south shore of Long Island about 35 miles (58 kilometers) east of New York City, "was arrested and charged with second-degree manslaughter, a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison."

"He provided investigators a written and videotaped statement and appeared 'distraught' and 'apologetic,' police said. He was released on $2,500 bond Tuesday" March 9, 2004.

"At 6-foot-2 (1.8-meters) and about 260 pounds, with a full beard, pony tail and a Harley Davidson jacket, James might have looked rather menacing, Larson said, but in reality 'he was pretty much a Teddy bear...a very mellow, calm, easy-going guy.'" (See the Chicago Tribune for March 10, 2004, "Club initiation ends in death," section 1, page 5.)


A weird twist was reported in the aftermath of the bomb attacks in Madrid, Spain's capital, last week.

"Exactly 911 days after the September 11 (2001) attacks on New York and Washington, ten terrorist bombs tore through trains and stations along a commuter line at the height of Madrid's morning rush hour" on Thursday, March 11, 2004.

"More than 190 people were killed and 1,421 wounded in Europe's bloodiest attack for more than 15 years."

"The September 11 attacks are known in the United States as the 9/11 attacks. Spain initially blamed Basque separatists for the bombing, but the interior minister also said that other lines of investigation were opened after police found a van last night with detonators and an audiotape of Koranic verses where the bombed trains originated."

"The Arabic newspaper Al-Quds al-Arabi said it had received a claim of responsibility issued in the name of Al-Qaeda."

"The email claim of responsibility, signed by the Brigade of Abu Hafs al-Masri, was received at the newspaper's London office and said the brigade's 'death squad' had penetrated 'one of the pillars of the crusader alliance--Spain.'"

"'This is part of settling old scores with Spain, the crusader, and America's ally in the war against Islam,' the email said."

(Editor's Note: The Brigade is referring to the capture of Granada by Queen Isabella in 1492, and the resulting expulsion of all Muslims from southern Spain. The queen used the plunder of Granada to finance Christopher Columbus's expedition across the Atlantic in October 1492.)

"Spain backed the U.S. war on Iraq despite domestic opposition, and Al-Qaeda backed terrorists have been captured in Spain or were believed to have operated there."

"Earlier reports had said the bombs were dynamite- based and were detonated by remote control."

"After an emergency cabinet meeting, a sombre Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar vowed to hunt down the attackers. 'This was mass murder,' he said."

"The bombers used titadine, a kind of compressed dynamite also found in a bomb-laden van intercepted last month as it headed for Madrid, a source at Mr. Aznar's office said on condition of anonymity."

"A total of ten bombs, nearly all in backpacks, exploded in a 15-minute span along 15 kilometers (9 miles) on the commuter line, running from Santa Eugenia to the Madrid hub (rail station--J.T.) of Atocha."

The same day as the Madrid attack, the tabloid Globe published an old photograph on page 20 of its March 22, 2004 edition. The photo was taken on June 1, 1926 and shows actor Mickey Rooney, then age 5, turning the dial of a giant prop antique telephone. At the base of the telephone is a white placard reading Michigan 9111." (See the Irish Examiner of Cork, Ireland for March 12, 2004, "Blast came 911 days after Twin Towers." Also the tabloid Globe for March 22, 2004, page 20. Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: I just noticed something. This issue of UFO Roundup is volume 9, number 11...or 9/11. Isn't that weird?)


On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 9:15 p.m., Ken Walker was outdoors in Paxton, Illinois (population 4,525) when he spotted "just a large flaming ball. I figured it was just a meteorite, but you never know. It was rather large and still big when it hit the treeline at the area of Ten Mile Grove, outside of Paxton in Ford County."

"It was a few hundred feet above the treeline when I noticed it from the corner of my eye," Ken reported, "I watched it come down until it hit the treeline. I think it hit inside the area of Ten Mile Grove, which has three ponds and a small forest."

The fireball had "yellow-white flames. It was round, a ball of flames...at least at the face of it. I saw no sparks, just flames. It was already pretty close to the treeline at that point. There is a tiny forest preserve there (private property--K.W.) I think it fell behind it."

"As large as the fireball was, it had to be at least several feet in diameter. If it was not as close as I thought it was, then it was probably really big. The weather was calm, and no aircraft were in the area. It was coming down at an angle from northeast to southwest (or maybe just east to west--K.W.)."

Paxton, Ill. is just west of Interstate Highway I-57 approximately 117 miles (187 kilometers) south of Chicago. (Many thanks to Canadian ufologist Brian Vike for this report.)


On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 2 a.m., Matti A. was at her home on Bainbridge Island in the USA's state of Washington when she saw a UFO approach from the east across Puget Sound.

"I was standing inside my house in front of the door," Matti reported, "I glanced up at the sky and saw a very bright blue elliptical shape with a bright white light bordering the shape."

"The object almost instantly disappeared after shooting from the right of my (field of) vision to the left of my vision. I instantly thought that it was a comet or a falling satellite, but there was no tail or trail, except for a very brief light trail. It winked out extremely quickly."

"The object was around an inch or more long, as I saw it in the sky, which means it had to have been traveling in the earth's atmosphere. The color and brightness of the object were completely stunning, like nothing I've ever seen in the sky. The object was about an inch and a quarter or an inch and a half long as I saw it. Its speed was incredibly fast, and it was gone almost instantaneously." (Email Form Report)


A building's Webcam accidentally photographed two silvery UFOs in the daytime sky over Porto Alegre, capital of the state of Rio Grande do Sul in southern Brazil.

On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 9:44 a.m., the security camera picked up bright sun flashes over Bahia Guaiba (bay) just south of the seaport city. As the objects closed in, they were "clearly identifiable as silver spheres, flying in formation."

The two UFOs made a single pass over the center of Porto Alegre and then made a long curving turn to the east, north of Viamao airport, heading towards the South Atlantic.

Porto Alegre is about 800 kilometers (500 miles) south of Rio de Janeiro. (Muito obrigado a Eustaquio Andrea Patounas por eso caso.)


The New World Order has been quietly introducing armored vehicles into cities around the USA, ostensibly as part of "homeland defense."

In Anniston, Alabama (population 24,276), "the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office will soon receive the first of two 12-ton Tactical Command Post Vehicles for its Emergency Services Unit, overhauled by United Defense Industries, Inc."

"The Sheriff's Office acquired the surplus armored tracked vehicles from the (USA's) Department of Defense through its Law Enforcement Support Organization's 1033 Program."

"In a cooperative effort between United Defense Industries and the Sheriff's Office, United Defense agreed to perform the routine maintenance work on the vehicle. The Tactical Command Post Vehicle is a member of the M-113 family of vehicles. United Defense upgrades similar vehicles at its Anniston facility in a joint partnership with the Anniston Army Depot."

"The M-113 family of vehicles is currently used by law enforcers and other first responders in over 27 states in natural disasters, search-and-rescue operations, counter-drug programs, riot/crowd control and other Homeland Defense applications. Over the past five years, vehicles have been outfitted to perform specific operations associated with SWAT, Border Patrol, U.S. Marshals, FBI and the Forest Service with few modifications from the original design."

(Editor's Note: The M-113 was the armored personnel carrier used by the U.S. Army in Vietnam. It was replaced in the 1980s by the M2 Bradley.)

"The hand-off ceremony" took place on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 in Anniston. Jim Walker, director of the Alabama Department of Homeland Security, and Don Sherrod, president of the National Law Enforcement Support Association, were the keynote speakers at the event.

Last week, "the Army's SMAR Truck III concept, designed for America's homeland security, or for use in a war zone," was "put on display (Monday) March 8 at the Automotive Engineers 2004 World Congress. The vehicle showcases the latest in armor protection, and detection and deterrent capabilities."

"SMAR Truck III is equipped with a weapons station module featuring a remote-controlled .50 caliber machine gun, which rises from the back of the vehicle and has sniper-detection directional sound capabilites."

(Editor's Comment: If one of these shows up in your neighborhood, start running.)

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, "while watching the local news" in Spokane, Washington state (population 195,629), Arthur C. caught a segment "on some local robbery and, lo and behold, if it wasn't the Spokane, Wash. SWAT Team sporting the latest in armored personnel carriers."

On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, Jack D. had a strange encounter with NWO troops in the Florida panhandle. He reports, "Why are Saudi Arabian Navy personnel training on U.S. bases inside the U.S.? I live a few miles from the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida (population 56,255) Today I talked with two men from the Saudi Arabian Navy. They were in uniform. I asked them, were they visiting or what? They told me they were training alongside our Navy. And they have been doing this for six months. I did not know that. Here in my own backyard!" (Many thanks to Cindy Garrison, Rebecca Cook and Jim Danvers for these items.)

(Editor's Comment: If you think the NWO activities are spooky, wait till you read what happened in Las Vegas last month!)


On the morning of Saturday, February 21, 2004, "a locksmith received a call from a motorist complaining that the remote-control locking system on his late-model car refused to respond. The old-fashioned key, linked to the same circuitry, wouldn't work, either." The caller asked the locksmith to come over and "fix whatever had gone wrong."

"A couple of minutes later, another locksmith's phone rang. Different caller. Same problem."

"By the end of the day, the best estimate is that police, firefighters, locksmiths, car dealerships and tow- truck drivers in Las Vegas had received at least 200 calls from stranded motorists. Many who are still puzzling over the incident put the figure as high as five times that."

"'Maybe it's those little green men,' joked Mike Estrada, a spokesman for the U.S. Air Force's Nellis air base" in Nevada, "about 100 miles (160 kilometers) north of Las Vegas. He was referring to the fabled Area 51 military research facility, which sits smack in the middle of Nellis's bombing range and where UFO buffs, conspiracy researchers and others have long maintained that the Pentagon picks apart space aliens and their crashed flying saucers."

"This time, the likely culprit, according to some, was a top-secret test of equipment intended to fry an enemy's circuitry."

"'As a working hypothesis, the idea that a military test of some sort was responsible isn't far-fetched,' said John Pike, director of the Global Security think tank" in Washington, D.C. (See The Age of Melbourne, Australia for March 8, 2004, "So, who did fry those car locks?" Also the Las Vegas Review-Journal for February 22, 2004. Many thanks to Trevor Griffet for these newspaper articles.)


"Betty Jane Mulligan, of Pine Township, Allegheny County," Pennsylvania, "an engineer, gardener and actress, died Monday, March 8, 2004. She was 82."

"No challenge was too great, no undertaking too daunting."

"'She was always an independent soul,' said her daughter, Judy Brant, also of Pine Township."

"Mrs. Mulligan appeared as an extra in at least 15 movies, including Lorenzo's Oil, The Silence of the Lambs, The Mothman Prophecies and Dogma."

Mrs. Mulligan's is the latest of several deaths that have come to people associated with the making of the 2002 film, The Mothman Prophecies, which has sparked rumors of a "Mothman Curse." (See the Pittsburgh, Pa. Tribune- Review for March 11, 2004. Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this newspaper article.)


On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 7:15 p.m., eyewitness L.J. and his wife were outdoors in Fresno, California (population 427,652) when they spotted a UFO "about a mile or two away. Ten to twenty lights going in a circle around the object. Weather was clear and warm. We had it in view for five minutes. There was an airplane on the southern horizon. It was a solid object, too far away for a direct reflection from anything from the ground. The object was slowly departing, heading south."

L.J. described the UFO as "a huge disk with red lights flashing around the center. It flew over the Fresno Air Terminal/National Air Guard airfield and made no sound. It was maybe the width of a small city block. Departure speed was slow. Height (Altitude) was hard to tell because the thing seemed so huge." (Many thanks to Brian Vike for this report.)


Within 48 hours of Fresno's UFO sighting, police in the southern California city discovered the remains of nine people, believed to have been murdered, in a nondescript home.

"A man accused of murdering nine of his children lived a life of polygamy and incest, police said."

"Marcus Wesson, 57, was charged Saturday night," March 13, 2004, "with nine counts of murder. Bail was set at $9 million."

"A son of Wesson's who has not seen his father in a year said the man he knew was not at all like the one described by police."

"'I don't want to believe it. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt,' Dorian Wesson, 29, told the Los Angeles Times. 'But they're all dead.'"

"Coroners were trying to determine causes of death. Meanwhile, those who knew Wesson said he had become bizarre over the years."

"'The neighbors felt there was some kind of weird polygamy commune thing going on,' said Frank Muna, a lawyer who sold Wesson the house where the bodies were found in a back room."

"The bodies were discovered Friday," March 12, 2004, "after police were called to the home on a custody complaint. Two women outside the home said they had given custody of their children to Wesson two years ago and wanted them back. Wesson ran into the home and locked the door."

"A SWAT team was called and surrounded the house for two hours. During that time, neighbors said they heard gunshots in the home. Wesson eventually came out, his clothes stained with blood."

"Inside were the bodies of a woman, 24; three girls ages 17, 8 and 7 and two more who were 1. Three boys ages 7, 4 and 1 were dead also. Police said that the children were Wesson's and that two were children he fathered with his daughters. Police said they were not ruling out the involvement of other suspects."

"Wesson bought his home in 1999 with four women. The women seemed to be under his control, walking behind him and not speaking when he was present, Muna said."

"Neighbors described seeing many women at the house, dressed in long dresses and sometimes with veils covering their faces. Neighbors said they knew little about Wesson. Wesson's appearance became more disheveled, also."

"Police also found 10 wooden coffins in the home."

Fresno is located 215 miles (345 kilometers) north of Los Angeles. (See USA Today for March 15, 2004, "Man accused of killing nine family members in Fresno," page 3A.)

(Editor's Comment: Between UFOs, black helicopters, the Anne Heche business and now this, Fresno has sure had its share of weirdness during the past decade.)


"Thirty-six years after the fact, Bob Hieronimus' conscience finally caught up with him; he confessed to having donned a gorilla costume and appearing in the famous 1967 film footage of Bigfoot."

"'It's time people knew it was a hoax,' Hieronimus told the Washington Post. For decades, the grainy film clip has fueled study and speculation about the existence of a large mysterious creature in the (USA's) Pacific Northwest."

"'It's time to let this thing go,' he told the paper, 'I've been burdened with this for 36 years, seeing the film clip on TV numerous times. Somebody's making lots of money off this, except for me. But that's not the issue. The issue is that it's time to finally let people know the truth.'"

"The Post reported Hieronimus made his official confession in the book The Making of Bigfoot by paranormal investigator Greg Long. The author says he spent four years investigating the 60-second film and the people behind it. Long traced the Bigfoot costume to Philip Morris, a North Carolina gorilla suit specialist, who says he sold it for $435 to an amateur documentary maker named Roger Patterson (who died in 1972--J.T.)."

"The hoax was staged near Bluff Creek in northern California, according to Hieronimus."

"'Patterson was the cameraman,' Long told the Post, 'They made a gentleman's agreement that Bob (Hieronimus) would get in the suit and walk in front of the camera for $1,000.'"

"Hieronimus' story is a bit different. 'I was never paid a dime for that, no sir,' he said, adding, 'Sure, I want to make some money. I feel that after 36 years I should get some of it.'"

However, "the news doesn't change the views of an open-minded Jane Goodall, a well-known primatologist. 'She's spoken to people whom she respects who say they have seen one of these hominids,' said Nora Gandelman, an aide to Goodall. 'And to many other people she respects who have heard strange calls they thought were made by Bigfoot. As a scientist, she has a very open mind about this and has yet to close the door on this possibility.'"

"An associate of the deceased filmmaker (Patterson) is challenging the veracity of Hieronimus' story. The Post says it was contacted by Tom Malone, a Minneapolis (Minnesota) lawyer, working on behalf of Bob Gimlin, an associate of Patterson's."

"'I'm authorized to tell you that nobody wore a gorilla suit or monkey suit, and that Mr. Gimlin's position is that it's absolutely false and untrue,' Malone told the paper." (See WorldNet Daily for March 10, 2004, "Man admits: 'I was Bigfoot.' Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this news story.)


"A Jewish advisory group has asked the (USA's) Justice Department to 'utilize civil, criminal and federal hate crime laws' against Mel Gibson's film The Passion of the Christ."

"The group, Messiah Truth Project, says the 'anti- Semitic' tone of the movie has resulted in hate crimes against Jews, synagogues and Jewish cemeteries across the United States since its release on (Wednesday) February 25 (2004)."

"Three incidents involving anti-Semitic graffiti have been reported in New York in the past fortnight (two weeks--J.T.), and a Los Angeles college was closed yesterday (Thursday, March 11, 2004) after a speaker's car was sprayed with graffiti while she addressed a forum on hate speech."

"Yesterday the group's online petition had gathered 195 signatures." (See The Age of Melbourne, Australia for March 12, 2004, "Legal action urged against Mel Gibson's film." Many thanks to Brian Ripley for this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: I honestly don't know which is worse. That anti-Semitic incidents are occurring in the USA and the American news media isn't reporting them. Or that the Messiah Truth Project is trying to overturn the Bill of Rights, and the American news media isn't reporting that, either.)


"Hubble Space Telescope astronomers unveiled the deepest-ever snapshot of the universe Tuesday," March 9, 2004, "a view of stars and galaxies active about 700 million years after the Big Bang."

"Astronomers say the image reveals more of the so- called cosmological dark ages from the first billion years after the Big Bang about 13.7 billion years ago. That early era ended with the birth of the first stars and galaxies."

"The snapshot image is equivalent to a 1-million- second-long photographic exposure. The picture shows light that existed more than 2 billion years earlier in the universe's formation than what was shown in Hubble's landmark Deep Field image released eight years ago (1996). That image of the vast cosmos became an astronomical icon, adorning textbook covers, museums and dorm room walls."

"'We believe we have gotten the deepest picture of the universe, one that opens new lands of discovery,' institute astronomer Massimo Stiavelli says."

"Astronomers report finding oddly shaped galaxies pulling at each other through gravity, hinting at the dimly understood formations. They have used telescopes over the past decade to steadily gain insight into the era of these early galaxies. Advances in Hubble and ground telescopes powered this drive, aimed at understanding the earliest stars and galaxies and our own galaxy's birth."

"Last week, European Southern Observatory scientists claimed to have detected the farthest known galaxy, about 13.2 billion light-years away (one light-year equals about 5.9 trillion miles--J.T.)."

"'This Ultra-Deep Field image represents the state of the art in looking at the early universe,' says astrophysicist Abraham Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics."

"In January (2004), NASA chief Sean O'Keefe rejected a Hubble repair mission for 2006. Astronomers expect the telescope to fail by 2007 without the repairs. The space agency plans a $300 million space tug to bring Hubble safely out of orbit."

"At the unveiling of the Hubble image, Sen. Barbara Mikulski (Democrat from Maryland--J.T.) repeated calls to save the telescope."

"A successor to the telescope--the James Webb Space Telescope--is scheduled for launch in 2011." (See USA Today for March 10, 2004, "Hubble peers farther back than ever," page 9D.)

From the UFO Files...


In recent weeks, UFO Roundup has been chronicling the appearances of the mysterious Sword of Destiny. This enchanted blade, used by such historical figures as Alaric, Charles Martel and Joan of Arc, dropped out of sight back in 1430 and has not been seen since.

According to William Henry, author of One Foot in Atlantis, the Sword of Destiny is a relic left over from the lost continent of Atlantis. Indeed, it may have been cast by an unknown blacksmith over 130,000 years ago, during the era the Hindus call the Tetra Yuga.

"The Thule Society claimed they were in contact with the Shining Ones," survivors of the Great Cataclysm that destroyed Atlantis, "as early as the 1920s," Henry wrote, "In 1934, FDR (USA president Franklin Delano Roosevelt-- J.T.) searched Mongolia for Jesus to put him on top of the pyramid of civilization in America. They were also seeking his most treasured secrets, and as one of Henry A. Wallace's (FDR's vice president--J.T.) letters will show, the power tools for opening the gateways to inner worlds."

"Our search, in part, is for these power tools:"

(1) The Stone of Destiny

(2) The Cup of Destiny (better known as the Holy Grail--J.T.)

(3) The Staff of Destiny, and

(4) The Sword of Destiny.

"Our understanding of these devices enables us to understand more of the occult secrets of World War II and the key piece of the puzzle of New Age politics, which had been withheld from humanity by the orders of Winston S. Churchill."

The Sword of Destiny was last seen in March 1430, when Joan of Arc carried it into the night-dark woods of Compiegne. When she returned to the French camp a couple of hours later, she no longer had it.

She would not reveal where she had hidden the sword, even under the threats and torture of her English and Burgundian captors.

Today's Compiegne is much larger, sitting in the Oise River valley about 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Paris. The forest Joan entered is still there, much smaller today because of suburban housing but still quite large with an area of 35,000 hectares. Renault and Citroen automobiles cruise down the same roads where Joan's armored knights rode on horseback.

In the town square stands an imposing statue of Joan, who was captured there by the Burgundians on May 23, 1430. Six kilometers (4 miles) south of town is an old-fashioned railroad passenger car. This coach is a replica of the original in which Marshal Ferdinand Foch forced a German delegation to sign a cease-fire agreement on November 11, 1918, the Armistice that ended World War I.

(Editor's Note: On June 22, 1940, in an ironic twist of history, Adolf Hitler forced the defeated French to sign an armistice agreement in the same Wagon du Marechal Foch. The Nazis put the coach on display at Orduff in Thuringia, where it was destroyed in an Allied air raid in April 1945.)

The Sword's legend has drawn at least three famous Europeans to Compiegne.
The first was Louis XIV, most successful of the Bourbon monarchs. Louis appears to have been well-versed in the occult arts himself. For he made a mysterious solitary pilgrimage to Hendaye in to see the enigmatic stone cross there.

(Editor's Note: For more on Louis and the mysterious stone cross at Hendaye, see UFO Roundup, volume 8, number 45 for November 30, 2003, "1940: Hendaye's celebrity pilgrims," page 9.)

Using one excuse or another, Louis had his workmen dig up large stretches of the Bois de Compiegne (forest). He once remarked, "In Versailles, I live in the style befitting a monarch. In Fontainebleau, more like a prince. At Compiegne, like a peasant."

But the Sword of Destiny eluded Louis' grasp.

Next came France's first emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte. After divorcing his first wife, Josephine de Beauharnais (nickname: Yeyette--J.T.), Napoleon came to Compiegne to marry 19-year-old Princess Marie-Louise of Austria- Hungary.

There in the Chateau de Compiegne, Marie-Louise had her first dinner with the 40-year-old emperor. "Accounts maintain that she was paralyzed with fear of this older man. After dinner, he seduced her and is said to have only increased her fears."

Following the wedding, Napoleon found an excuse to dig up half of Compiegne.
"In the park, Napoleon ordered the gardeners to create a green bower to remind Louise of the one at Schoenbrunn in Vienna, where she grew up."

Imagine Marie-Louise's puzzlement as she stood on the chateau's parapet at midnight and looked down and saw her diminutive husband standing at the edge of the construction site, shaking his fists at the stars and bellowing, "Where is it!?"

After Waterloo in June 1815, Napoleon had no further need for the Sword of Destiny.

The last to visit Compiegne was Hitler on June 22, 1940. But der Fuhrer wasn't in town for very long. Just long enough to accept France's surrender at the railroad car, joke with his Wehrmacht generals and pose for members of the news media, including the CBS radio crew headed by Edward R. Murrow, which broadcasted the ceremony back to the USA.

Having already collected the Staff of Destiny (better known as the Spear of Longinus--J.T.), and having sent the SS-Ahnenerbe in pursuit of the Holy Grail, perhaps Hitler decided he had enough mystic talismans on board to bring victory to the Reich in World War II.

He was wrong.

So the Sword of Destiny still lies in the Bois de Compiegne, in whatever ancient stone crypt Joan has hidden it. Its work is done...for now.

And we can wonder if there is any room for an enchanted sword in an age of Michelin tires, Verizon cell phones, Internet access and robot rovers exploring the red deserts of Mars.

Who knows what the future brings? Some global cataclysm--perhaps caused by the rogue planet Nibiru or a gamma-ray energy burst from space--might erase our present industrial civilization as completely as fabled Atlantis.

Perhaps, as Master Yah Cheng often asserted, "the Cosmic Wheel will turn yet again," and a new age of sword and sorcery will rise. Maybe then the Sword of Destiny, in the capable hands of a new hero or heroine, will flash in the sun once more. (See the books One Foot in Atlantis by William Henry, Earthpulse Press, Anchorage, Alaska, 1998, pages 157, 158, 224 and 225; and Frommer's France 2002, by Darwin Porter and Danforth Prince, Hungry Minds Inc., 2001, pages 222 to 225.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth--and occasionally, Mars--brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you in seven days.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites and in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup | UFO Roundup Vol.9 | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v09/rnd0911.shtml