UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 9
Number 24
June 16, 2004

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"The first phone call that Erick Martinez of CIFAE," the Chilean UFO group, "received yesterday (Monday, June 7, 2004) came from the other side of the world. It was a journalist from a Japanese newspaper who wanted more details about the alleged Parque Forestal 'alien.'"

"'Japan's most important newspaper (Asahi Shimbun of Tokyo--J.T.) published the photo,' explained Martinez, 'The fact of the matter is that they have had a legend for thousands of years about a creature called the kappa. According to them, the face in that photo resembles the legendary creature.'"

Kappas are the messengers of the river-god (in Japanese mythology--J.T.). They are as small as a primate (monkey), with scaly greenish or yellowish skin, and they drag humans to the river bottom to drown.'"

(Editor's Note: Sort of like the kelpie of Irish mythology.)

Martinez, "the CIFAE director, said that 'the journalist was translating for the people over there, and when I told him that the Parque Forestal" in Temuco "was only a few meters from the Rio Mapocho, they went wild. If I understand correctly, he was telling me that they still get (kappa sighting) reports.'"

"The Parque Forestal will be analyzed closely this Friday," June 11, 2004, "and Erick Martinez says that they received a video recording of strange lights in the same location where the 'alien' was photographed."

"'I truly cannot say what it is, but we have a strange photograph, we have strange video from the same place...what can I tell you? This tells me something is going on.'"

Temuco is located 675 kilometers (422 miles) south of the national capital, Santiago de Chile. (See the Chilean newspaper Las Ultimas Noticias for June 8, 2004, "Chile: Japanese startled by Parque Forestal photo." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para esto articulo de diario.)

(Editor's Comment: And welcome to The New Aliens Week here at UFO Roundup. Our ET friends were in the Middle East, too. Read on...)


On Thursday, June 3, 2004, the Syrian government sent motorized infantry regiments into Dimashq province after "a red alien" was reported hiding in an olive grove just outside the village of Al-Naiisia.

"The case was reported in the government newspaper Al-Teshreen," said Ayesha al-Khatabi, UFO Roundup's Middle East correspondent. "Seven men had walked out to the olive grove to prune the trees. One of them said he saw something at the foot of a tree. They all looked, and then they saw a strange creature, red in color, sitting in the shade of an olive tree. It was very squat and bulky, with a bald head and bat-wing ears."

"The eyewitness accounts of the seven workers were all in agreement. They claimed to have seen 'a strange creature that remained seated for a while before taking running strides to climb a tree.'"

"The encounter ended when 'the creature rocketed skyward' from the tree 'with incredible swiftness after leaving a trail of smoky white bubbles.'"

"The government in Damascus ordered a search of the olive grove, but the soldiers found nothing more than a handful of olives scattered on the ground." (See the Syrian newspaper Al-Teshreen for June 4, 2004. Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi for this newspaper story.)


On Wednesday, June 2, 2004, eyewitness F.G. reported, "I was in the garden" at his home in Villasantina (Tolomezzo), Carnia (Friuli province), Italy "at more or less 5:30 p.m. My younger brother was with me at the time. We spotted a long white object. It looked like a huge cigarette--though a little shorter than an actual cigarette--but still gargantuan."

"It slowly moved sideways within the clouds and sometimes turned on itself (rotated--J.T.). I immediately ran towards the gate, trying to get closer to see what the object was. But as soon as I reached the gate and looked at the sky, it wasn't there any more."

Two days later, on Friday, June 4, 2004, eyewitness V.R. reported, "A moving object slowly flew above my house in Afferi," a suburb of Milano in northern Italy, "heading towards the northeast, 'and it was not an airplane.' I looked up and down the street, and no one was there. The object looked like a rhombus and was slowly heading towards the northeast. The sighting lasted a couple of seconds. That's how long it took the object to disappear behind some palaces. It emitted bright white lights and a loud noise." (Grazie a Roberto Malini e Frederico Dezi de UFO Italia per questi rapporti.)


Portugal's UFO flap continued with a new daylight disc sighting.

"A UFO was photographed in Monte Novo between Reguengos and Evora on Monday, May 31, 2004 at approximately 2:30 p.m. Four people at the site--two engineers and two students--did not notice the presence of the object until they observed the image picked up on their digital camera."

"Eduardo Silva, 25, of the Instituto de Soldadura e Qualidade took the photo as he performed a water quality survey on the sites of Monte Novo, Vigia and Caia."

"'I only noticed it when I saw the photo. That's when we started saying it was a UFO, but I only gave it importance when I saw the image,' explained Eduardo Silva, 'It was very hot, and there were no birds about, or balloons or helicopters,' said the author of the photo."

The newspaper "Correio da Manha reported last Thursday," June 3, 2004, "that the Portuguese Air Force had followed the tracks of a 'spindle-shaped' (cylindrical) object which had crossed the national air space."

"On Monday," June 7, 2004, "Colonel Barbosa of (Portugal's) Armed Forces High Command explained that they were currently 'cross-checking information from the radar images and the eyewitness accounts.'"

"The photo provided to Correio da Manha shows no sign of tampering. The reflection of the sun on the apparently metallic object agrees with the shadows of the tree shown in the photo." (See the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha for June 10, 2004, "Portugal: UFO photographed in Monte Novo." Muito obrigado a Scott Corrales e Cristian Quintero por eso caso. For more on Portugal's current UFO flap, see UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 23 for June 9, 2004, page 3.)


A large UFO was seen in Gila Bend, Arizona (population 1,980) at about the same time an F-16 fighter plane piloted by a lieutenant in Singapore's air force crashed in the desert.

According to the Arizona Daily Star, "the F-16 crashed in southern Arizona on (Wednesday) May 19, 2004 near Sells (population 3,000)."

"The body of a Singaporean fighter pilot has been recovered after his F-16 jet crashed during a training in southern Arizona, military officials said."

"Loo Kwang Han, 25, died in the crash, which occurred about an hour after takeoff from Luke Air Force Base late Wednesday."

"Matthew Pebble, a construction worker who lives on the Tohono O'odham (also known as Pima Indian--J.T.) Reservation village of Pisinimo told the Arizona Daily Star that he watched the light of the F-16 fire from his porch Wednesday night."

"'It came down like a falling star in a straight line, and then...boom!' he said, using his hands to imitate a blast."

"Horses that roam the desert between the (reservation's) Gu Vo district and Pisinimo district ran screaming into the mesquite and cholla cacti away from the fire."

"Moments later, two helicopters flew into the area, Pebble said. He said he did not know it was an F-16 crash until Thursday morning."

"Brig. Gen. Philip Breedlove would not say Thursday whether Loo tried to eject from the jet. The cause of the crash was under investigation."

"Loo, who was identified by Luke (base) officials as Lt. Brandon Loo, had earned his pilot's wings in 2001 and became an F-16 pilot in January 2003."

"Training operations were suspended Thursday as a safety precaution but had been scheduled to resume Friday morning."

"Luke, in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale, is the world's largest F-16 training base."

However, that same evening, from 9:30 to 11 p.m., a witness watched "a very large object in the sky--huge object" over Gila Bend, Arizona, 50 miles (80 kilometers) northwest of Sells.

"Driving home from Yuma at 8 p.m., going east on Highway 8, I watched a huge light for about 40 minutes," the witness reported, "It was too big to be a star, and it was no plane. It stayed very bright for a long time. I saw it wasn't moving and was amazed at how bright it was. Then it looked like it went behind a cloud or smoke surrounded it."

"I had by that time pulled over to take pictures. Then a bunch of F-16s flew towards it. It started to dim and moved a bit. Then it kind of glowed or illuminated from nothing for a few minutes. Then it looked like it

went behind a cloud or smoke."

"At that time, a cop pulled up to check out why I was parked at night in front of Lewis Prison. When I focused back on the object, I saw it just shoot away. It just vanished. It was gone completely."

"Also, my cell phone signal weakened while I stared at it." (See the Arizona Daily Star for May 20, 2004. Many thanks to Daniel Wilson for these reports.)


On Sunday, June 6, 2004, at 1 a.m., Darnette Taylor was sitting on her deck at her home in Hugo, Oklahoma (population 5,536) "and I had my digital camera, a Fuji A201, taking pictures of the night sky. I had heard a loud noise earlier and I saw some orange flash, but I did not get a picture of that object as the trees covered it."

"Then, about 30 minutes later, I was sitting out on the deck, and I looked towards Hugo and saw something weird above the town. I thought it could be some sort of plane or helicopter, so I thought, I'll take a picture of these moving lights and see what happens."

"I work an evening shift. Then, when I get home after 11:30 p.m., I like to sit outside. So I made me a cup of hot tea and went out on the back deck to relax. It was around 1 a.m. in the morning that the shot was taken."

Hugo, Okla. is on the Indian Nation Turnpike approximately 72 miles (115 kilometers) south of McAlester. (Many thanks to Jim Hickman for this report. Be sure to visit Jim's Web site--thehickmanreport.com.)


On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 2:55 a.m., "the witness was travelling south on Highway 9 in Rivercrest, Manitoba province, Canada. To the east, they saw a large light in the sky towards Transcona. They stopped the car and pulled over to watch. The object was brilliant white and had a red light going around its midsection. As they watched, the object began moving erratically in the sky without a straight course. When it began moving towards them, they got back in the car and drove off."

"The object appeared to be chasing them as they drove towards Winnipeg. At one point, the object appeared to be very close to them, just over the treeline. It flew over the top of their car and took up position behind them. The object made no noise."

"When flying near them, the object 'looked like a frisbee.' The object then flew off to the west to St. James. When they drove from Winnipeg to Headingley about 20 minutes later, they thought they saw the object" again "hovering over the city. Investigation is continuing."

On Thursday, May 27, 2004, at 10:55 p.m., "two people, one of whom is an experienced astronomer" in Libau, Manitoba, north of Winnipeg, "observed a very bright, slow-moving fireball descending from the zenith towards the northern horizon. Its durability was about four to five seconds, and its colour was first a light green, changing to a yellow towards the end."

On Sunday, June 6, 2004, "a group of people were gathered in Crocus Park in Transcona," Manitoba "to watch some fireworks that were scheduled. Facing Winnipeg, they saw an object 'like a little fluffy oval cloud' moving in circles. The weather was very murky, with a storm front coming in from the west. (The fireworks were canceled-- C.R.)."

"The object moved about in circles, quivered, returned to the top, and repeated its movement several times. It then began circling to the left. The witness strolled over to other people, and they were watching the object, as well. The group then began walking home. While walking for about a half hour, the object seemed to follow them or 'keep pace with them,' causing them fright. Many people watched it as they were walking home from the park."

"The witness again got into a car, and the object again seemed to follow them as they drove. The total observation was about two hours. The witness insisted that they had never seen anything remotely resembling the object and insisted it was not a searchlight from a nearby casino." (Many thanks to Canadian ufologist Chris Rutkowski for these reports.)


The robot spacecraft Cassini took the first close-up photos of Phoebe, the largest outer moon of Saturn, on Saturday, June 12, 2004.

"The internationally-built Cassini spacecraft completed a flyby of Saturn's largest outer moon as it prepared to enter a four-year orbit to study the ringed planet, NASA officials said Saturday."

"The plutonium-powered spacecraft, which is carrying 12 science instruments and a probe, came within 1,285 miles (2,056 kilometers) of the dark moon Phoebe."

"The $3.3 billion spacecraft pointed its instruments at the moon, then turned to point its antenna toward Earth. The spacecraft also transmitted data that scientists will examine to answer questions about Phoebe's mass and composition, said Torrence Johnson, a member of Cassini's science team."

On Saturday, the first pictures of Phoebe reached Earth, showing a heavily cratered and badly-battered moon. A few scientists suggested that Phoebe might be an Oort Cloud asteroid that wandered too close to Saturn and got caught in the gas giant's gravitational field.

"Phoebe orbits in the opposite direction from Saturn's other moons and rings--this retrograde motion implying that this body wasn't born along with Saturn but was subsequently captured by the giant planet's gravitational field."

"If all goes as planned, the next four years will bring hundreds of images from NASA's heavily equipped $3.3 billion spacecraft. Cassini will orbit 74 times around the giant ringed planet, the sixth from the sun and nine times the diameter of Earth. Scientists expect to see close-ups of several moons as well as the stormy surface of the planet and its gossamer rings."

"Cassini will visit a few other moons, including mysterious Iapetus, with one face reddish black, the other snow white; Enceladus, with its promise of ice volcanoes that erupt with water, smoothing over parts of the cratered surface; and giant Titan, bigger than the planet Mercury and the second largest moon in the solar system."

(Editor's Comment: Enceladus, with its nice view of Saturn, will hopefully be the site of our future UFO Roundup space colony. We'll build a residential area, Masinaigan Estates; a science institute with the Roundup's editorial offices on the top floor; and some giant dish antennae, so we can pick up alien cable TV channels as well as transmissions from Earth.)

"On Christmas Eve (2004), the spacecraft will drop a small lander, called the Huygens probe, down to Titan's surface, where it may hit land or bob around in some frigid liquid-methane sea, there taking the world's first pictures from the surface of another planet's moon."

"Cassini will also get the world's first bird's-eye view of (Saturn's) rings, which have fascinated astronomers and sky watchers since Dutch astronomer Christiaan Huygens and Italian Giovanni Cassini identified and observed them in the late 1600s."

"Astronomers calculate that the rings were born about 200 million years ago--back to the Age of Dinosaurs--but still young compared to the 4.8-billion-year-old Saturn." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for June 12, 2004, "NASA spacecraft to explore one of Saturn's moons;" and for June 13, 2004, "Phoebe gets a flyby.")


"The Lafayette County Sheriff's Department is searching for a missing 15-year-old boy who was last seen about 10:30 a.m." on Sunday, June 6, 2004.

"The boy, whom authorities identified as Dennis Ray Jr., may have a mental disability, dispatchers said."

"The sheriff's department believes he wandered away from his home north of Odessa, Missouri (population 4,818)," about 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Kansas City. "Deputies and rescue workers were searching the surrounding area this afternoon."

"The boy is white, 5 feet (1.5 meters) tall, (weighs) 95 pounds. He has blond hair and blue eyes. He may have been wearing jean (denim) shorts."

A bizarre accident took the life of a teenaged boy in Lafayette, Louisiana.

"A collision between a Go-kart and a Ford Explorer on Monday," June 7, 2004, "in Lafayette, La. left one teenager dead and two people injured, police said."

"The accident happened in the 1200 block of Breaux Road after 6 p.m. The accident caused the sport utility vehicle to flip. The crumpled Go-kart was several feet behind the vehicle, and a dirt bike was nearby. Fire trucks and patrol cars lined the rural street."

"The victims' names were not released."

"The accident happened in the front yard of Linda and Steve Manuel's house."

"Steve Manuel said he had not seen the accident but walked outside after the dogs began barking wildly. He said he saw the truck (SUV) flipped over, a body lying underneath."

"'They (rescuers) tried to flip it over, and they couldn't,' Linda Manuel said, her eyes welling with tears."

"Tony Navarre, who lives down the road, was one of the first to arrive at the scene."

"'There was like 10 of us trying to flip the thing over,' Manuel said."

"After the fire department showed up, firefighters put a chain around the vehicle and pulled it off of the trapped person."

"Manuel said he believed the person was a teenager, probably no older than 16."

Elsewhere in the southern USA, "Long Beach (Mississippi) police were looking Monday," June 7, 2004, "to re-arrest Gulfport resident Sherman Tremayne Lafayette who authorities said is accused of using a large trophy to assault a man and a woman."

"The assault occurred Saturday," June 5, 2004, "at Hampton House Apartments on Beatline Road, where emergency personnel were called to take the man and woman to a hospital. Lafayette posted a $25,000 bail bond in less than an hour of being booked at the Harrison County Jail, before police heard he was on probation for a drug conviction."

"Jealousy is believed to be the motive behind the beating that dislocated the man's jaw and required stitches to his face and also left cuts on the woman's head, said Long Beach Detective Stephanie Fontenot. The couple was taken to Garden Park Medical Center in

Gulfport, Miss."

"Police captured Lafayette minutes later after officers found him hiding in a nearby dumpster, she said."

"Officers arrested Lafayette on a felony charge of aggravated assault and misdemeanor charges of trespassing and domestic violence."

And, in Lafayette, Indiana, "two weeks after storms that caused President Bush to declare a disaster in Indiana, the state's midsection was pummeled by another wave of torrential rains that swelled rivers and streams and flooded roads in several counties."

"Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials said people in areas under the disaster order could seek aid for new damage from the fresh round of flooding." (See the Kansas City Star for June 6, 2004, "Boy missing in Lafayette County;" The Advertiser of Lafayette, La. for June 8, 2004, "Accident kills teen;" the Biloxi, Miss. Sun-Herald for June 8, 2004, "Trophy used as weapon in attack;" and USA Today for June 14, 2004, "Across the USA: Indiana," page 14A. Many thanks to Loren Coleman for these "Fayette Factor" news stories.)


"A woman who was pulled from a car during a roadside argument" in Richardson, Texas (population 91,802) "and thrown to her death from an 85-foot (25-meter) overpass was 'fighting like hell' to save herself, a witness said."

"Her assailant also died."

"The 21-year-old woman fell onto the hood of a car on the freeway below, then was dragged several yards Thursday," June 10, 2004, "before being hit by another vehicle, said Richardson police Sgt. Kevin Perlich."

"She died at the scene."

"The man, who jumped from the overpass after throwing the woman off, died later at a hospital."

"He was identified Friday," June 11, 2004, "as 30- year-old Paul Stephens, the county medical examiner's office said. Police had not revealed the woman's identity, pending notification of relatives, but said the two shared a Dallas apartment with a third person."

"Perlich said witnesses reported seeing the couple arguing inside a parked Mercedes on the President George Bush Turnpike, where it passes over U.S. 75, also known as the Central Expressway, just north of Dallas." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for June 11, 2004, "Man throws woman off overpass." Many thanks to Loren Coleman, who alerted me to this story and pointed out the weird lexilink to the two Bush presidents.)


Your editor has two short, strange little news items, which are really on the outer limits of paranormality. They don't really fit together, but, rather than waste ink on separate headlines, I decided to put them in one "potpurri" article.

June 13, 2004 was the anniversary of one of the strangest snowstorms in USA history.

"On this day in 1907, Tamarack, California reached a low of 2 degrees below zero" on the Fahrenheit scale. "That was a U.S. record for the month of June. The cold was accompanied by a three-day snowstorm. Starting on the (June) 10th and ending on the 13th, Tamarack was buried under 42 inches (105 centimeters) of snow."

Is the world ready for Masonic jeans? Well, ready or not, they're here. Now you can display your lodge affiliation on the seat of your pants.

A company called Seven for All Mankind makes a pair of jeans, retailing for $158, with a Masonic compass-and- square symbol, outlined in gold thread, on the back pocket. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. There's a photo of the jeans, complete with Masonic insignia, on page 76 of the celebrity magazine Star for June 21, 2004, now on sale at newstands in the USA.

From the UFO Files...


In addition to his stories about Conan the Barbarian, Texas author Robert E. Howard (1906-1936) wrote stories for the magazine Weird Tales that fit in very nicely with "the Cthulu Mythos" of H.P. Lovecraft.

The most memorable of these was "The Black Stone," which appeared in the November 1931 issue of Weird Tales.

In this story, REH introduces us to an obscure occultist named Von Junzt, who in 1839 wrote a book about "nameless cults." This "Black Book" leads "the mad American poet Justin Geoffrey" to a small town in Hungary which is home to a very curious granite monolith.

REH writes, "Von Junzt spent his entire life (1795- 1840) delving into forbidden subjects; he traveled in all parts of the world, gained entrance into innumerable secret societies, and read countless little-known and esoteric books and manuscripts in the original; and in the chapters of the Black Book, which range from startling clarity of exposition to murky ambiguity, there are statements and hints to freeze the blood of a thinking man. Reading what Von Junzt dared to put in print arouses uneasy speculations as to what it was that he dared not tell."

Most fans assume that the characters in the story are all fictitious. And while this may be true for "Justin Geoffrey," a thinly-disguised stand-in for Robert E. Howard himself, we cannot be certain about Friedrich Wilhelm von Junzt.

When he died in June 1936, REH left behind a personal library of 247 books.
Only one of them was in a foreign language--German. It was Daemonen und Nachtgesichte by Alfred Kubin (1877- 1959). Apparently, Robert purchased it at a bookstore in Fredericksburg--the heart of Nineteenth Century German settlement in Texas--sometime between 1927 and 1929.

Was this the source of REH's information about Von Junzt?

What follows is mostly speculation about the life of Von Junzt and how his dark tome, Unaussprechlichen Kulten (German for Nameless Cults--J.T.) came to be written.

Friedrich Wilhelm von Junzt was born in 1795 in Braunau, a picturesque town on the river Inn that is also the birthplace of another infamous European (Who shall remain nameless--J.T.). The family consisted of minor Austrian nobility, landowners in the Waldviertel, who had moved to Braunau in 1779, when the independent kingdom of Bavaria ceded the region to Austria-Hungary.

Coming along fairly late, with an older brother and several sisters ahead of him, Friedrich was earmarked for a career in the Roman Catholic Church or perhaps in Braunau's booming salt trade. But fate intervened in December 1805, when Friedrich was 10, in the form of "the battle of the Three Emperors," better known as Austerlitz, in which Napoleon defeated the combined armies of Russia and Austria-Hungary. His older brother, Johann Walther, was killed in the battle, so Friedrich was shipped off to Breitensee, the empire's West Point, near Vienna, to fill his brother's army boots.

While a cadet, Friedrich befriended Karl Wiligut (1794-1883), a Vienna youth whose family had originated in Goslar, in the western Harz Mountains of Germany. It was Wiligut who fired Friedrich's interest in pre- history. During a Christmas holiday spent in Goslar, Wiligut revealed that his family was part of a sippe (German for clan--J.T.) that could trace its ancestry back to 228,000 B.C. and the lost continent of Atlantis.

Following graduation, Friedrich became a lieutenant in an infantry regiment of the Austro-Hungarian army. He fought in the campaign of 1813-1814, entered Paris with the triumphant Allied armies, and saw Napoleon abdicate and accept exile to the Mediterranean island of Elba.

As a young officer, Friedrich joined a Masonic lodge and later branched out into other secret societies, such as the Schlaraffia, an association of Austrian officers, and the Bruder Schwiegen (German for Silent Brotherhood -- J.T.), an offshoot of Adam Weishaupt's Order of the Illuminati.

When Napoleon bounced back for his Hundred Days, a short-lived comeback decisively ended at Waterloo, Friedrich was on garrison duty at Brno (now part of the Czech Republic--J.T.). He spent his free time exploring the prehistoric ruins in the region, visiting the Punkevni caves, Znojmo and its mysterious catacombs, and a curious monolith, the Rabenstein, at Znaim.

(Editor's Note: The podzemi, or catacombs, of Znojmo are truly awesome. These mysterious prehistoric tunnels run for 27 kilometers (16 miles) beneath the earth. They're reminiscent of las socabones, the underground tunnel system in South America.)

The Von Junzt family could not understand the young man's obsession with "lost civilizations" of Europe. He must be mad, his sister Charlotte thought, running around the ass-end of southern Moravia when he could be posted to Vienna. Then he further confounded the family in 1821 by resigning his commission and heading for Greece.

Having read Plato, Von Junzt now sought proof that Atlantis was for real. He tramped all over Greece, stopping at monasteries to read old records, visiting one ruined Classical temple after another, seeking out the local esoteric brotherhoods.
He struck paydirt on the isle of Lesbos. Here he visited the ruins of the temple of Dionysus at Fokas. Clues found here led him to a prehistoric temple, rumored to be devoted to Aphrodite, at Messon, near Kalloni.

Positive now that Atlantis had once existed, Von Junzt sailed to Egypt in 1824. Here he tried to glean what ancient knowledge he could from the Muslim Brotherhood. Two years later, he traveled along the North African coast, in search of more pre-Classical ruins.

It was in Algiers that Friedrich met the man who became his closest friend.
Alexandre Jadeau had been an officer in Napoleon's Grand Armee. An ardent Bonapartist, he was no longer welcome in the France of the "Restoration." So, like many other Frenchmen, he had become a soldier of fortune, serving as a military advisor to the Muslim emirs and pashas of North Africa.

Jadeau had heard of mysterious stone ruins in the Sahara. Von Junzt wanted to visit them, so the two men joined a camel caravan to Timbuktu. Along the way, they visited the mysterious petroglyphs at Tassili-in-Ajer in southern Algeria, which greatly excited the Austrian mystic.

Arriving in Timbuktu in 1828, Friedrich came across an Eighteenth Century book written by a Portuguese bandeirante (explorer) telling of mysterious ancient stone cities in the jungles of Brazil. Making their way to Dakar, in Senegal, the two men booked passage on a Portuguese ship bound for Rio de Janeiro.

The year 1831 found Von Junzt and Jadeau in Peru. Presumably they had visited Sete Cidades and other alleged Atlantean ruins in Brazil, then sailed down to coast to Buenos Aires, traveled through the pampas, crossed the Andes into Chile, and headed north again.

In Cuzco, they made the acquaintance of Dr. Raul Zaldivar. Originally from an old criollo family in Lima, Dr. Zaldivar had been educated in Spain and, upon his return in 1820, had joined the Patriot army of Simon Bolivar. He had campaigned all over the Andes, from Pichincha in Ecuador (1822) to the final battles of Junin and Ayacucho in Peru (1824).

Dr. Zaldivar's passion was Peru's pre-Columbian civilizations, a topic of great interest to Friedrich. All throughout Bolivar's campaigns, Dr. Zaldivar had filled his notebooks with essays and drawings of every pre-Columbian ruin in the Andes. He disagreed sharply with scientists of the day, who said the ruins around Cuzco were no more than 1,000 years old.

With the Peruvian doctor as his guide, Friedrich visited the coastal city of Cauchan (now called Chan Chan- -J.T.), with its adobe bas-reliefs showing pyramids submerged by tidal waves; the ruins of Chavin de Huantar and the stone monoliths of Puma Punccu and Tiahuanaco (now part of Bolivia--J.T.).

If Friedrich still had any doubts about the existence of Atlantis, they were erased in 1831 when Dr. Zaldivar led him up into Peru's Callejon de Huaylas and showed him the vine-covered "skyscrapers" of Rapayan--stone buildings five stories high!

The next stop on Friedrich's pilgrimage was Mexico. This was a repeat of his sojourn in Peru, as he and Jadeau visited Teotiahuacan, Monte Alban, and the Mayan ruins of the Yucatan peninsula. Their visit was cut short, however, by the rising tensions between the Mexican president, Santa Anna, and the growing population of American settlers in the northern state of Tejas (Texas).

Following tours of the USA and the British Isles, Von Junzt and Jadeau landed in Amsterdam (Jadeau was still wanted for "treason" in France--J.T.). By now, the pilgrimage had become almost a "quest for the Holy Grail," as the pair set out for St. Petersburg in Russia.

Arriving in the Russian capital, Von Junzt used his Masonic background to make contact with members of the Lodge Harmonia, founded by Nikolai Novikov and Prince Nikita Troubezkoi in 1778. Although the Illuminati had been suppressed in Russia in 1792, there were still a few old lodge brothers around to provide some information.

Von Junzt was looking for the rumored "Brothers of the Inner Order." Every time he asked, the same name came up--Prince Pavel Vasilyevich Dolgorukii. So in April 1833, Von Junzt and Jadeau set out for the prince's dacha (Russian for manor--J.T.) in the Caucasus.

When they arrived, it was Jadeau's turn to be surprised. The prince's wife was none other than Countess Henriette de Plessis, now living very quietly in the Caucasus after her burst of notoriety in the French Revolution. An actress, Henriette had portrayed "the Goddess of Reason" in Robespierre's infamous Festival of the Supreme Being in 1793. She had known all of the leading Illuminati revolutionaries--Anacharsis Clootz, Catherine Theot, Antoine Fouquier-Tinville, to name a few- -plus the Illuminati's enemies, Maximilien Robespierre and Dr. Jean-Paul Marat.

Von Junzt spent many weeks cloistered with Dolgorukii, discussing esoteric topics known only to the two of them. Dolgorukii was reputed to own the largest and most comprehensive occult library in Europe, and von Junzt spent many weeks among the aged books. In the end, it was Dolgorukii who put the two adventurers on what I call "the Owlhoot Trail."

This was the ancient road traveled by Russian mystics in search of enlightenment. It started in Orenburg, at the southern end of the Urals, and meandered through central Asia, finally ending at Shigatse in Tibet. (Editor's Note: At times there have been so many Russian mystics in Shigatse that the town's been nicknamed Odessaskaya..."Little Odessa.")

Staying at a Buddhist temple in Shigatse, Von Junzt spent many weeks conversing with the lama. Then, one morning in June 1834, Jadeau went to his friend's room, wondering why he had slept so late. He found a servant rolling up the bedding and all of the Austrian's gear missing. So he asked what had happened to Von Junzt.

The servant shrugged. "He has received the Call."

"What 'Call?'" Jadeau said.

"He has gone to Shambhala."

Of course, Jadeau had heard of Shambhala, the hidden city of mystics said to be in Afghanistan, but he considered it only a myth. He thought the Tibetans were playing some sort of game with him. He waited in Shigatse all through the winter for his friend's return. But when the snows cleared in May of 1835, and there was no sign of Von Junzt, the Frenchman left Tibet and returned to Europe.

Five years passed, and nothing more was heard of Von Junzt. But then, in February 1840, Jadeau took advantage of a new amnesty decree and returned to France to see his family. While browsing in a bookstore along the Seine, he came across a newly printed book with his friend's name on it. It was the original Drakenhaus edition of Unaussprechlichen Kulten, published in Dusseldorf in 1839.

He recognized Von Junzt's "voice" at once. "Vor dem Anfang der Historie, die erinnern Menschen sich, gibt es schwarze Aeonen, denen ist es vielleicht besser nicht zu wissen." (Translated: "Before the beginning of the history men remember, there are black eons of which it is perhaps better not to know.")

Jadeau wrote to the publisher and obtained Von Junzt's current address in Dusseldorf. Then he wrote to Von Junzt directly. The "returned from the dead" Austrian mystic invited his old partner to come and visit. Jadeau set out at once.

What a tale Von Junzt had for his old friend. The Austrian had traveled for months in Afghanistan, led by silent Waziri tribesmen, until they finally reached the tunnel that led to Shambhala. Von Junzt had actually met the legendary Sages. One had become his guru, teaching him the ancient languages of the Tetra Yuga, the previous "world-age." Reading the few actual documents left over from that era, Von Junzt had learned about the post- Atlantean world, "an age undreamed of," which had ended with "the Lesser Cataclysm," known in Greek myth as "the flood of Deucalion."

The Sages had invited Von Junzt to remain in Shambhala, to continue his personal search for enlightenment. But he declined. He wanted to return to Europe and share his new knowledge with contemporary civilization.

Easier said than done. Returning to Europe, Von Junzt found the publishers of Berlin arrayed against him. His book was well-written, they admitted, but it could not be published. Von Junzt, once welcome in any Masonic lodge, was now reviled as an "extremist" and a "madman."

Finally, he lucked out in Dusseldorf. A new publisher, Der Drakenhaus, needed an occult book to launch its new series for 1839. The editor thought Unaussprechlichen Kulten fit the bill nicely. The book was published in November 1839 and immediately caused a stir in Europe's occult community.

With pride, Von Junzt showed Jadeau a letter he had received from Edgar Allan Poe, the famous American author. Poe had read the French translation of Von Junzt's book and was greatly intrigued by the chapter on Antarctica. Poe was eager for more information about "Kadath in the Cold Waste."

Von Junzt revealed that he was working on a new book, one that would describe the wonders he had seen in Shambhala. But alas, the book never saw print.

Robert E. Howard described what happened next: "What dark matters, for instance, were contained in those closely written pages that formed the unpublished manuscript on which he worked unceasingly for months before his death, and which lay torn and scattered all over the floor of the locked and bolted chamber in which Von Junzt was found dead with the marks of taloned fingers on his throat? It will never be known, for the author's closest friend, the Frenchman Alexis (sic) Jadeau, after having spent a whole night piecing the fragments together and reading what was written, burnt them to ashes and cut his own throat with a razor."

The Dusseldorf police were puzzled by the bizarre suicide note they found in the pocket of Jadeau's black frock coat. "My friend (Von Junzt) is doomed, and so am I. And so is M. Poe, although he knows it not. There are things Man was not meant to know. Tekeli-li."

In the decades that followed, the existing copies of Unaussprechlichen Kulten disappeared into private collections, and Friedrich Wilhelm Von Junzt himself became a figure of legend as ephemeral as the Sages of Shambhala. (See the books Nameless Cults, edited by Robert M. Price, Chaosium Inc., Oakland, Cal., 2001, pages 3,4,5 and 324 through 328; The Masters Revealed by K. Paul Johnson, State University of New York Press, Albany, N.Y., 1994, pages 19 to 24; Initiates of the Theosophical Masters by K. Paul Johnson, State University of New York Press, Albany, N.Y., 1995, pages 71 to 86; The Secret King by Stephen E. Flowers, Ph.D. and Michael Moynihan, Dominion Press, Waterbury Center, Vt., 2001, pages 16 through 20; The Occult Roots of Nazism by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, New York University Press, New York, N.Y., 1985, pages 177 to 191; and The Dark Barbarian, edited by Don Herron, Wildside Press, Gillette, N.J., 1984, page 193.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth...and occasionally, the moons of Saturn..brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you in seven days.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup | UFO Roundup Vol.9 | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v09/rnd0924.shtml