UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 9
Number 29
July 21st, 2004

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"Juan R. Acuna Pereira, the Parral resident who was assaulted by two strange beings qualified as 'winged dogs' said yesterday (Sunday, July 11, 2004) that the creature is identical to one shown in an image presented by Corporacion GEO, depicting the mythical Chupacabras, and which was done based on statements from others who have suffered similar attacks."

"'It had no fangs, and it was just like a dog, and with short ears, just like a dog, and it stood on two legs and had shiny eyes,' he said, confirming the computerized image belonging to Corporacion GEO. He insisted that the (creature) is just like a dog and without the fangs shown in a Mexican photo last week. The only difference is that the beleagured Parral native saw both animals as black in color and flew around."

"Despite his silence to the media, the victim's days haven't been peaceful. His wife says that Juan doesn't sleep at night and, when he manages to do so, he has nightmares and delirium all night. Sometimes he wakes up shrieking 'Attack! Attack!'"

"What they are hoping is that a (medical) specialist will offer him some assistance, since, after the night of horror, Juan doesn't dare go outside after dark, not even to the outhouse. He is with someone at all times, whether a brother or his brother-in-law. He will not remain home alone."

"Juan Acuna said that a friend of his, Jorge Vejar, told him a dog was found dead in a field" outside Parral, near Temuco in southern Chile, "without a drop of blood. When they opened the door to see what happened, the other dogs entered the house and hid under the chairs, visibly frightened and unwilling to go outside."

The Chilean newspaper "El Centro also had access to a report by Susana Soto Yanez, the woman who offered first aid to Acuna" after the attack. "The victim's brother-in- law's spouse revealed that the attack by the 'creatures' occurred near 1 a.m. Her relative (Acuna) was fleeing from the bridge along the side of the canal, calling for help, at a time at which they were both asleep."

"Susana Soto did not understand--much less believe-- the story that some winged dogs had attacked her relative. After changing his clothes and dressing his wounds, because he had arrived practically naked at the house, she went out to find a cell phone to summon an ambulance, without positive results."

"She says that she retraced her relative's route from her house to the side of the canal towards the bridge and noticed some strange noises, but she says she entrusted herself to God, and nothing happened."

"Unable to achieve her goal, she returned home and asked her husband--he had had a few drinks, she admitted-- to go and find an ambulance. The husband covered the same route as his wife, when upon reaching the bridge, recalls Marcelo Alberto Gajardo, he suffered a surprise attack on his foot by one of the 'winged dogs.'"

"He shouted in such a way that he managed to scare off the 'critter.' Gajardo described the incident: 'It was a thing that attacked my foot and hurled me backwards. Good thing I was wearing leather boots. I looked and saw it was flying. I let out a shout, and it let go of me. There were two of them. They were small, but they vanished. I didn't see if they flew off or not--they just vanished all of a sudden. If I don't scream, I told myself, I'll die right here...and I don't blame this situation on any rooster!" (See the Chilean newspaper El Centro of Talca for July 12, 2004, "Victim of 'winged dog' attack recognizes Chupacabras." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para esto articulo de diario.)


"Fourteen sheep died inexplicably last week, but that wasn't enough for two families of shepherds from Parral to make a formal report of the event, despite the fact that the animals' bodies were found torn and bloodied but without any traces of a predator that would have feasted on them."

"Everything changed in the last few hours, when word spread of the attack on farmer Juan R. Acuna Pereira by creatures unknown to doctors, and that he described as 'winged dogs.'"

"The (sheep) deaths occurred at Las Cabras farm and at a smallhold located near the commune's hospital. The affected parties say they gave no special importance to the event, but in view of all that has been published, they became afraid and decided to come forward."

"In the first case, eight sheep were found exsanguinated (drained of blood--J.T.) at the rear of the Inapar Corporation. The family running the premises-- facing the hospital--recorded the dead animals on their camcorder to leave a document for the owner of the property and the animals, in the hopes of avoiding any misunderstandings later."

"El Centro managed to obtain exclusive access to this visual record, showing the condition in which the dead sheep were found."

"Ever since the Acuna case became known, members of the family have chosen to leave their clothes hanging outside after nightfall instead of going out and risking a similar attack. That is the level of their fear."

"'They can't be dogs,' they said, requesting anonymity, since 'dogs will eat the sheep, not bleed it. This is the work of a strange animal.'"

"The affected parties said they decided not to report the incident to the Carabineros (Chilean national police-- J.T.) because over 40 dead hens had been found under similar circumstances last year (2003), and they remember that the police had told them not to go out at night, since a strange dangerous species could be on the loose."

"The second case corresponds to the death of six sheep in the Paso Hondo rural area on the way to Cauquenes, on the Las Cabras farm."

"A person came to the door to confirm that (second) report: 'Yes, six dead sheep were found in the pasture, but it was never known what killed them. I can't explain it. All I know is that they had very little blood, because they were brought in for the dogs, and their (fleece) hides were removed.'"

"Claudio Bravo, mayor of Parral, said: 'I have no greater opinion than what has appeared in the media. I think calm should reign, first and foremost. These cases are isolated and infrequent. The fact is that we don't know--until the investigation is well underway--if we are facing a new species or a normal, everyday species. I call on the community to remain calm.'"

"But he also joked: 'If the Chupacabra has done anything positive by its presence, it's that we have fewer people on the streets at night, which I think is good. I hope the Chupacabra won't attack decent folks, only the delinquents who are up to no good in Parral.'"

"The Parralinos' (residents of Parral--J.T.) interpretations of the event range from skepticism to the Bible."

"Nora Retamal, a secretary to Senator Jaime Naranjo, has a view of the phenomenon that she relates to the Apocalypse. 'That book (Revelations--J.T.) tells us that different things will come to pass. We know that the forces of evil present themselves in different guises. God wants us to be ready to witness some odd things.'"

"Fidel Sanchez, who keeps his hand on the local society's pulse, thinks that most Parralinos believe that the attack on the farm was the work of Chupacabras, adding that others believe it was just a dog. 'All of these things give me goose pimples. The fact that there could be a mysterious creature wandering the night that could attack you...all I can do is go to bed early.'" (See the Chilean newspaper El Centro of Talca for July 7, 2004, "Mystery of the 'winged dogs' increases." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para esto articulo de diario.)


"The UFO phenomenon in the town of Gobernador Ugarte (population 300)," located about 150 kilometers (90 miles) west of Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina, "is ongoing. Strange lights and maneuvers were reported this past weekend."

"One worker told the strange story of how his truck lights turned on and off by themselves as he stopped at a local ranch. Some residents say this is quite normal in the area, while others express their fears."

The Argentinian newspaper "La Manana spoke yesterday (Monday, July 12, 2004) with Hector Labaronne, who has been filming UFOs for three years with his family. The La Esperanza ranch is where the greatest number of (UFO) sightings and ground prints have been reported in recent times. The family possesses over five hours of video recordings of the lights and objects that appear in the night skies."

"The significance of these events has led to the screening of a 90-minute video of the Ugarte sightings," which will take place "on August 16, 2004 at the 8 p.m. in the Sala Pablo Picasso in Buenos Aires."

"La Manana ; 'How long have you been recording UFOs?'"

"Hector: 'More than three years now. The video to be shown in Buenos Aires is just part of the five hours we've recorded. Almost all of the images are similar, except that some are on different days and nights.'"

"La Manana: 'How long since the last sighting?'

"Hector: 'We saw the lights last night (Sunday, July 11, 2004), also on Saturday (July 10, 2004), and there are some things that occur that are beyond the norm, For example, last Friday (July 9, 2004), one of the rangers who lives in a shed had a strange experience. At around 1 a.m., he saw a light, went outside, and realized that his truck lights were on. He went to turn them off but noticed that the pickup truck's lights weren't on. (Meaning the dashboard light switch was set on OFF--J.T.) The lights themselves went out in the meantime. He thought it might be a loose wire and went to bed again.'"

"'About an hour later, he woke up to find his truck lights on again. This happened four times successively. He didn't go out after that because he was scared. The next day, he reflected about this event, and some people told him that there were 'flying saucers' in the skies over the area, or that strange lights are often seen.'"

"'He says that when he went to bed, he felt as though someone was running at the edge of the shack. We still don't know what it is, but we're sure there's something to it.'"

"'The lights fly right over Ugarte--many people of the town are seeing them. Since it is a normal occurrence, no one pays them much attention. A large flying red light 100 meters (330 feet) over Ugarte is a normal thing.'"

"La Manana: 'What time of year does this most often occur?'"

"Hector: 'The cooler it gets, the lower they fly. They can move some 30 to 40 centimeters (12 to 16 inches) over the ground. They don't leave traces. What we see are lights and sometimes a solid object, like a suspended deep bowl. We've had them close, but when we get closer, they move away--this happens always. They don't come over to where we are. They always avoid us.'"

"Research and inquiries have revealed (UFO) sightings in previous decades. In the 1950s, personnel from the Estancia San Jose del Socorro (ranch) reported the surprising appearance of several circular marks (crop circles--J.T.) near a eucalyptus forest. In the summer of 1971, a 12-year-old boy witnessed the low-altitude flight of a strange aerial artifact. In the mid-1990s, a local resident claimed having been taken aboard a spacecraft, providing details of his experience and shiny marks on his arms."

"Gobernador Ugarte is located on Route 51 between the cities of Chivilcoy and 25 de Mayo" in Buenos Aires province in eastern Argentina. (See the Argentinian newspaper La Manana of Buenos Aires for July 13, 2004, "UFOs seen near 25 de Mayo." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para esto articulo de diario.)


On Thursday, July 15, 2004, farm workers in the Serra da Cantareira, a mountainous region north of Sao Paulo, Brazil, the largest city in South America, "spotted a UFO in the sky at approximately 7:08 p.m. The object, which they described as 'a great globe of brilliant white light, rotating on its own axis,' hovered briefly over the mountainside before flying away."

"One witness said, 'The object appeared to be self- illuminated.'"

Brazilian ufologists called the event "the most exciting UFO incident in Sao Paulo state in years."

Later the same evening, at 11 p.m., "a flight of black helicopters flew over Taquaritinga, S.P.," located about 300 kilometers (180 miles) northwest of the city of Sao Paulo. "There were seven helicopters, arrayed in a zigzag formation. They flew rapidly at treetop height and without (navigational) lights." (Muito obrigado a Atilio Coelho, Roberto Santram e Brunilda Barros para esas informacoes brasilienses.)


"An unidentified flying object resembling a large star hung over the Azeri capital (city) of Baku," on the western shore of the Caspian Sea, "early Monday," July 12, 2004.

"The object appeared at quarter past six" in the morning "and it stayed there until sunrise. Witnesses said the UFO was so bright that they could hardly observe it with their bare eyes."

"The UFO could be clearly seen in Baku's outlying suburbs of Akhmadli and Bakikhanov." (See the newspaper Baku Today for July 12, 2004. Many thanks to Jim Hickman, executive director of Skywatch International, for this report. Don't forget to visit Jim's Web site at http://www.skywatch-international.org/ .)


On Saturday, July 17, 2004, at 5:30 p.m., eyewitness R.T. was outdoors at her home in Vancouver, the largest city in Canada's western province of British Columbia, when she sighted something strange in the sky.

"I am not sure what I saw," she reported, "But there appeared to be several clusters of what looked like stars. Some were just hovering, and some were moving slowly. Several times they appeared to be almost intersecting each other. I saw a couple of 'star-like' objects that were reddish in color. They looked like they were the same distance (away) stars could be (too high to be an aircraft or a bird--R.T.) I left my outside area and went back outside 15 minutes later, and, by that time, they were all gone."

"They were so high up they looked like rings of stars." (Email Form Report)


A strange outbreak of possession and poltergeist activity closed a primary day school twice in the African nation of Uganda.

"A primary school in Kiboga district was closed in May (2004) after parents reported that their children were being attacked by demons."

"Bisika Primary School, located in the Butemba rural district," near Kiboga, "was later reopened, but the pupils continued to live in fear."

"Another demon attack was reported on (Tuesday) June 29 (2004) in the same school."

"Bisika, a government-aided primary day school, is located five kilometers (three miles) from the town of Kiboga. The well-furnished four-building school has 450 pupils. The parents accused Isma Sserunkuuma, a man who lives near the school, of bringing the demons, locally known as mayembe."

"They said Sserunkuuma invited the demons through a witch doctor, to help him acquire wealth."

"Acting on the parents' report, the Kiboga resident district commissioner, Margaret Kasaija, ordered the arrest of Sserunkuuma and the closing of the school until the demons could be driven out of the school."

"Sserunkuuma is still in detention."

"'I really wonder why people acquire demons and resort to bewitching others,' Kasaija lamented, before she cautioned the public against acquiring demons."

"At the time of arrest, Sserunkuuma said he could not afford the demons' demands. He said the demands included 'the sacrifice of 300 virgin girls and cows to provide them with blood for sustenance.'"

"Sserunkuuma added that when he failed to provide the virgins and cows, he set the demons free. Then they attacked the pupils. He pleaded that he had no intention of harming the school, but only failed to control the demons."

"The demons reportedly affected Primary (Grades) 4, 5, 6 and 7 pupils under 12 years of age. When attacked, the pupils gabble and run around the compound. Others undress and foam around their mouths. They also shake violently as if shocked by an electric current."

"Parents also said they had to tie their children on pegs with ropes to avoid them disappearing."

Uganda's "national chairman for traditional healers, Ben Ggulu, performed traditional rituals before the school reopened in May. He also healed 15 pupils, whose mental abilities had been affected by the demons."

"Ggulu would hold herbs atop the pupil's head to invoke the demons out of them. Using traditional charms, Ggulu spoke strange languages, causing a cow's horn wound with bark cloth to move around the place, a ritual he said he did to search for the demons."

"'Sorcery has become a common practice in this district, especially in Ntwetwe, Kapeke, Kyankwanzi and Butemba,' Ggulu, who is also the Kapeke sub-county chairperson, said. He noted that many people acquired demons without harming their neighbours, adding that 'harmless demons do not ask for blood and human sacrifices.'"

"Ggulu said some people use harmful demons to kill others in the struggle to get wealth."

"He said the (Uganda) police let the public down in deadly witchcraft cases because they had failed to investigate such cases properly. 'In such cases, the police should be very careful because there are people who falsely accuse their neighbours of possessing demons for other interests,' he said."

"Ggulu appealed to parliamentarians to review the witchcraft law, which he said was weak. Residents, some of whom have migrated to other places in fear of the demons used by their neighbours, said they were tired of endless mayhem caused by the demons."

"The district police commander, Okwot Obwona, said most residents of the Moa tribe in Kiboga were witchcraft suspects."

"The Bisika LCI chairperson, Diriam Lukwago, said, 'I will not accept the practice of acquiring demons to go on in the village. We have even come up with a by-law to evict anyone who will be found with demons.'"

"Asked about the spiritual history of the residents, Lukwago said most of them were staunch believers, who did not believe in demons, adding that the Muslim community constituted the largest percentage."

"The chairperson asked residents to cooperate with his council to fight sorcery. The district director of health services, Dr. John Bosco Serebe, confirmed the outbreak but declined to comment further, saying that cases are still being examined in the district laboratory."

"A (Roman Catholic) priest, Father Herman Kakooza, was called in to pray for the pupils." (See the Ugandan newspaper New Vision of Kampala for July 7, 2004, "Demons attack Kiboga pupils." Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones- Drown for forwarding this newspaper article.)


"Elizabeth Edwards, wife of the presumptive Democratic vice presidential nominee," Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, "is no stranger to the Pittsburgh area."

"In fact, Edwards and her family used their grandmother's home on Wallingford Street, Oakland," Pennsylvania "as a permanent address while they went to Japan, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Washington D.C. during their father's naval career."

"Edwards' father, Vincent Anania, was born in 1922 in Brownsville, Fayette County, and spent part of his childhood in Oakland (population 1,516). He attended the University of Pittsburgh, playing an offensive and defensive end on the football team, until he transferred to the U.S. Naval Academy" in Annapolis, Maryland "in 1942, according to his son, Mrs. Edwards' brother, Jay Anania."

"Elizabeth Edwards was named after her mother, Elizabeth Anania, 80, also the daughter of a Navy pilot." Mrs. Anania "met her husband in Pensacola, Florida. The couple has three children:" Elizabeth, 54; Jay, 53; and Nancy Sims, 52, who lives in Bradenton, Florida."

Vincent Anania "served 32 years in the Navy and retired as a captain. His son said he received numerous medals, including the Bronze Star and the Distinguished Flying Cross, the highest peacetime flying award for an act of heroism. Flying over Russian airspace in the early 1960s, Chinese MiGs shot and severely damaged his plane, but he managed to land safely back in Japan after flying just 12 feet above the (Pacific) ocean, according to his son."

(Editor's Comment: Hmmmm, I don't remember that incident from the newspapers of the period, so it's a safe bet that Capt. Anania's mission is still Top Secret. Enquiring readers would like to know what that spy flight was all about.)

"Vincent Anania, 82, no longer able to talk after suffering a stroke 12 years ago, lives in South Florida with his wife."

"'He was the most loquacious, hilarious, physical, fun machine,' his son said, 'It's too bad (he can no longer talk--J.T.) because he could tell great Pittsburgh stories. He just loves, loves, loves Pittsburgh...Whenever he talked about it, he just glowed.'" (See the Pittsburgh, Pa. Times-Review for July 10, 2004, "Sen. Edwards' wife has ties to area. Her father was born in Fayette County." Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this newspaper article.)


"At least three people are dead in a fiery crash between a large truck and a car on Route 51 just north of Uniontown," Pennsylvania (population 12,422), in Fayette County. "State police say a tri-axle truck was northbound on the highway when a car pulled out from a crossover area from the southbound lane into the path of the truck, which couldn't stop."

"The momentum from the crash carried the vehicles off the road and into some trees just off the highway, where they caught fire."

"Police and Fayette County Coroner's Office initially said that two people--the drivers of both vehicles--were dead, but they've since determined that one other person was killed and said they were continuing to search for possible victims."

"The crash occurred about 9 o'clock this morning (Friday, July 16, 2004), and there was no rain or other conditions that were known to have contributed to the crash."

Meanwhile, police and fire officials in nearby Connellsville, Pa. (population 9,146) continued their investigation into the source of the mystery fires plaguing Fayette County since October 2003. "The Connellsville police chief has officers searching for any information leading to the arrest of" the alleged "phantom arsonist" of Fayette County. "The Fayette County Crime Stoppers had initially offered up to $1,000," but Connellsville's fire chief is reportedly offering more.

And another mysterious fire broke out in Fayette County, Pa. "A three-alarm fire caused an estimated $250,000 damage to the Masontown United Methodist Church in Fayette County."

An unusual death claimed a life near Fayetteville, North Carolina.

"William Harrell died when a tree fell on his golf cart Thursday," July 15, 2004, "at the Catawba County Country Club in nearby Newton, N.C."

"Harrell's funeral" was held "at Snyder Memorial Baptist Church on Westmont Drive in Fayetteville at 3 p.m. Sunday," July 18, 2004.

"Bryan Carr, also of Fayetteville, was also in the cart. He received some injuries in the accident."

"The Catawba County Sheriff's Office says the tree was about 35 feet (10.1 meters) tall and had root damage. Strong winds brought it down."

"Workers had to saw the tree off the cart to get to the victims." (See the Pittsburgh, Pa. Post-Gazette for July 17, 2004, "Three killed in fiery collision;" Connellsville, Pa. Daily Courier for July 15, 2004; and Pittsburgh, Pa. Post-Gazette for July 17, 2004, "Fire damages Fayette County church." Many thanks to Loren Coleman for these newspaper articles.)


"The international Cassini spacecraft has taken new images of Saturn's two-faced moon Iapetus, possibly offering clues as to why the moon has a dark hemisphere and a bright one."

"Researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California hope Cassini's observations of the mysterious moon help determine where the dark material comes from."

"The spacecraft took pictures of Iapetus (pronounced eye-APP-eh-tuss) at a distance of 1.8 million miles on (Saturday) July 3 (2004), a few days after Cassini entered Saturn's orbit."

"Iapetus is one of Saturn's 31 known moons."

"NASA also expected good pictures of Titan," Saturn's largest moon. "Startlingly sharp pictures taken in June (2004) of another Saturnian moon, Phoebe, had raised expectations that Titan would come in loud and clear."

"'Instead, it looks more like an Impressionist painting,' chief mission scientist Dennis Matson says."

"The photographs of Titan have been fuzzy. Although Cassini passed much closer to Phoebe (1,241 miles or 1,985 kilometers) scientists had hoped that infrared images would bring Titan into focus."

"Other surprises:"

"Light-colored plateaus on Titan, once thought to be composed of water ice or even liquid methane, appear to be scrambled mixtures of ice and hydrocarbon tar. The scientists frankly say that they haven't figured out what that means, other than some sort of unanticipated geologic activity is doing the scrambling."

"Dark-colored plateaus, thought to be coated with carbon tar, appear to be just ice."

"Where plateaus meet, scientists see fuzzy boundaries rather than the sharp lines found on ict moons elsewhere, such as Jupiter's Ganymede."

"Some form of erosion, perhaps wind-driven, is blurring those boundaries, Matson suggests. If that's the case, Titan's hoped-for primordial chemistry may remain intact, even if its appearance is not what scientists expected."

"A dearth of circular craters in the views so far of Titan's surface suggests that meteorite impacts quickly are resurfaced by wind or some sort of icy volcanism. Such impacts are presumably common occurrences amid Saturn's cluttered rings."

"The visible lines in (Titan's) surface suggest clashing ridges, giving rise to the possibility of 'Titan- quakes.' If Titan's light and dark regions are butting into one another, causing ice-cracking quakes, the surface may even be more volatile than anticipated."

"Methane clouds spotted by Cassini near Titan's south pole, floating under the haze at a 9-mile (15-kilometer) altitude, also raise new questions. Astronomers had spotted signs of the clouds before. But some scientists had expected to see more of them hovering in the atmosphere, possibly dropping methane rain to the surface." (See USA Today for July 19, 2004, "Cassini probes Saturn moon's dark side," page 6D, and USA Today for July 14, 2004, "Saturn offers more mystery, less certainty," pages 1A and 2A.)


"NASA's Mars rover Spirit has begun driving in reverse to overcome a balky front wheel, but engineers expect it to keep covering Martian ground."

"The new driving technique was detailed as scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory revealed that the six- wheeled Spirit had finally discovered a rock outcrop, a formation offering the potential for layered rocks that could give geologists a view far into Mars' geologic past."

"Spirit's twin, Opportunity, fortuitously landed next to such an outcrop in January (2004). Opportunity quickly found a wealth of evidence that the site in the Meridiani Planum region was once saturated with water, and conditions there could have been suitable for life."

"On the other side of the planet, Spirit had to make a long trek across the plains of a vast crater before literally rolling over the outcrop as the rover was preparing to begin climbing into a set of hills."

"The long drive apparently took a toll on Spirit's right front wheel, which began to draw more and more electrical current, a sign of resistance in the mechanism."

"Efforts to use heating and rest to get lubrication to move back into the mechanism achieved only small improvement, so engineers decided to put the rover in reverse."

"'Right now it is still capable of performing all tasks that we ask it to do,' said engineer Joe Melko, who noted that the rover had gone more than six times beyond its design life."

"Moving backward allows Spirit to drag the right front wheel while driving itself with its five other wheels. Slightly turning some wheels allows the rover to maintain a straight course."

"Showing a picture of the outcrop beneath Spirit's wheels, mission science team member Matt Golombek said the good news is that Spirit doesn't have to go much farther."

"Outcrop is the currency that geologists use,' he said, 'It's contiguous bodies of rock that really contain the secrets that we want to unveil. And for the entire mission, 190 sols (Martian days), we've been seeking it, and we finally found it."

Spirit and Opportunity are now facing a new challenge. In a few weeks, it will be winter on Mars.

"NASA's Mars rovers, Opportunity and Spirit, are ratcheting back activities as the Martian winter approaches, a mission engineer says."

"'If you told me last year we would be worrying about how we would keep the rovers going now, I would not have believed you,' says rover team member Jim Erickson of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California."

"The $835 million rovers completed their planned 90- day mission in April (2004). As the Martian winter deepens until mid-September, the solar power received by the rovers continues to drop. Mission controllers have instituted 'recharge' days to recoup rover power and a 'deep sleep' mode at night when temperatures will be near minus 63 degrees Fahrenheit."

"Mars will pass behind the sun in mid-September, cutting off (radio) contact with the rovers during several of the coldest days experienced by the mobile geology labs, Erickson says." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for July 18, 2004, "Spirit to roam Mars in reverse," page 15A; and USA Today for July 15, 2004, "NASA feels chill of Martian winter," page 4D.)


"NASA said it will send a spacecraft to Mercury for the first time in 30 years."

"The probe Messenger will be launched (Monday) August 2 (2004) on a $426 million mission to orbit the planet," the closest to the sun, "while it maps the surface and looks for frozen water in shady polar craters."

The temperature on Mercury "is 840 degrees (Fahrenheit) during the day and several hundred degrees below zero at night."

"Messenger will loop around Earth, Venus and Mercury, getting a boost from the gravity of the planets to guide it into an orbit of Mercury in 2011 for a one-year mission, the project's scientists said. The roundabout, 4.9 billion mile (8 billion kilometer) route is designed to save on the coast and weight of the fuel, they said." (See USA Today for July 16, 2004, "NASA takes aim at Mercury," page 5A.)

Report from the Editor: Our 2004 sci-fi movie summer is swinging into high gear. So far we've had Van Helsing, The Day After Tomorrow, The Chronicles of Riddick and Spider-Man 2. Here's another one to add to your must-see list... I, Robot, starring Will Smith and Bridget Moynahan. Its vision of Chicago in the year 2035 will take your breath away. There's a good murder mystery and tons of action. Personally, I think this film is Smith's best work since 2002's Men in Black II. Don't miss this one!


Argentinian journalist "Abel Basti, author of Bariloche Nazi, is now at work on a second book, where he says he will present proof of the Fuehrer's presence in Argentina" after World War II and his supposed death in exile in 1960.

"On July 28, 1945, two former crewmen of the (German) battleship Graf Spee, welcomed--under the greatest secrecy--two submarines from Europe. One of these submarines contained Adolf Hitler."

"This is the main thesis of Basti's book, Bariloche Nazi: Sitios Historicos Relacionados al Nacionalsocialismo (Translated: Nazi Bariloche: Historic Sites related to National Socialism--J.T.). The text, published in February (2004) is a tour guide to the sites established by exiled German leaders in the Trans-Andean region" of South America, and "challenges the official story that the Fuehrer committed suicide in his bunker on April 30, 1945."

"Basti, who left Buenos Aires in 1978 to work as a forest ranger in Bariloche," in the Andes of Argentina, "looked into the subject when he covered the extradition of Nazi captain Erich Priebke to Italy in 1995."

"'He (Priebke) was detained in San Carlos de Bariloche. I went into the Nazi subject, but due to work concerns, it was necessary to satisfy the need for information. From that moment onward, I delved into creative avenues of research,' Basti said."

He added, "Eyewitness accounts from qualified people who were with Hitler in Argentina and who agree with FBI, British Intelligence and Argentinian Navy documents describing the presence of Nazi submarines in the South Atlantic in July and August of 1945. Furthermore, there is more information coming to light that contradicts the alleged suicide."

The Chilean newspaper Las Ultimas Noticias commented, "Well, there's always been a sort of cloud around the subject."

"Yes," Basti answered, "Mainly because the proof needed to substantiate a death isn't there. Furthermore, the first official reports told of an escape. In other words, when the Red Army entered the bunker, Stalin asked for a confirmation of Hitler's death, and the (Soviet) general in charge said he couldn't because there was no body. Even Germany declared (Hitler) dead in 1955 after years of presuming him dead."

The newspaper then said, "Your book is founded on the alleged arrival of submarines in Patagonia (southern Argentina--J.T.). When did they arrive?"

"What I've investigated," Basti responded, "Along with information from Europe, is that it was a (U-boat) convoy evacuating the Nazi high command consisting of about 10 U-boats with 60 people aboard each."

"In 1950, two crewmen from the Graf Spee, a German vessel sunk (in 1939) by its own crew on the Rio de la Plata (just south of Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay-- J.T.), said that they received two submarines in Patagonia on July 28, 1945. They say that they slept at a Patagonian ranch, and, in the early morning hours, were on hand to meet the submarines. They brought trucks and loaded baggage and people into them. One researcher spoke with the sailors (who are now dead--S.C.), and they confirmed the story," he added, "On the other hand, we have proof of the evacuation, and, on the other, the discovery of the sunken subs."
(See the Chilean newspaper Las Ultimas Noticias for July 11, 2004. Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para esto articulo de diario.)

(Editor's Note: Basti's book also contradicts the prevailing Redemptionist theory, that Hitler fled first to Argentina in a U-boat, and then to Antarctica in a prototype Nazi flying saucer. After a few years in the Antarctic Reich, Hitler flew to a secret base on the moon in 1949. Three years later, in 1952, Hitler departed the Nazi lunar base aboard a giant "mothership" UFO and traveled to Aldebaran, a star system 68 light-years from Earth, where he's a spry young 115-year-old, and resumed his interrupted career as an artist. Alien landscapes are said to be his forte. With enough practice, he might even become the interstellar Gauguin.)

From the UFO Files...


A magazine article published last month in Portugal is shedding new light on the strange cruise of the German ship Schwabenland and the origins of the Antarctic Reich.

"While the German scientists improved the Vril, the Hanebu and the RFZ (crude flying discs alleged to have been invented by Hitler's Third Reich--J.T.), other strange events happened quickly, beginning in 1938."

"One of the new problems that emerged in the early Twentieth Century, right after World War I, was the transportation of mail between Europe and the Americas. In the 1920s, two companies contested for the newly-opened mail routes across the Atlantic Ocean. These were Pan American Airways (founded by Juan D. Trippe--J.T.) and Luft-Hansa, the German airline. Trips by air over the vast ocean created numerous problems with refueling, logistics and maintenance. Both companies decided to use hydroplanes, and the Azores (owned by Portugal--J.T.) became the logical replenishment point."

"The Germans invented an ingenious way to bypass the distance problem. They used catapult ships to launch the mail-carrying planes, and they remained in the waters of the Azores to service the planes on their return trip. Using a long metal screen dragged by the ships, they reduced the height of the waves and made it safe for the hydroplanes to land."

"German catapult ships that became famous included the Bremen, the Westfalen and the Schwabenland. This last one, built in 1925, could launch hydroplanes weighing as much as 14 tons. The Schwabenland was a modern ship, well-equipped and with a modern communications system, plus an excellent on-board meteorological station. The vessel often operated out of Horta and Faial in the Azores."

"On May 24, 1938, the Schwabenland was visited by James Roosevelt, the brother of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. That same evening, the Schwabenland received a coded message from the Reichsfuhrer-SS, Heinrich Himmler, ordering the captain to leave the Azores and proceed at once to Germany."

And thereby hangs the tale. James "Rosey" Roosevelt was the older half-brother of the president. A quick review of FDR's childhood is in order. Franklin was born in January 1882. His father, James Roosevelt, was 53 years old when he was born and already had an older son, James Jr., by his first wife. James Jr., nicknamed Rosey, was born in 1855 and was 27 when his baby brother, the future president, made his natal debut in Hyde Park, N.Y.

Although he was the older brother of one president (FDR) and the cousin of another (Theodore Roosevelt, president from 1901 to 1909--J.T.), not too much is known about Rosey. He was a Wall Street investment banker and the college roommate and lifelong pal of one of the USA's wealthiest billionaires, John Jacob Astor IV. After Astor died, it was Rosey who managed his friend's estate, with its numerous trust funds, annuities, bloc shares and whatnot. In short, Rosey was a heavy hitter on Wall Street, and he was in and out of the White House as often as Monica Lewinsky.

What Rosey was doing aboard Hitler's "Antarctic Ark" is a mystery.

But there's more. Rosey was the favorite child of Franklin's maternal grandfather, Warren Delano, a stalwart Republican from Fairhaven, Massachusetts. Of his New York City son-in-law, old man Delano once said, "James is the one who taught me that a Democrat could be a gentleman."

In his youth, Warren Delano had been a sailor aboard a Massachusetts whaling ship that often plied Antarctic waters. Later he got involved in the China trade. Another contemporary from the same area of southeastern Massachusetts was a whaler-turned-fishmonger named Andrew J. Borden, who was chopped up with an axe by his daughter Lizzie in August 1892.

The most notorious book about whalers in Antarctica is, of course, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, by Edgar Allen Poe (1809-1849). Poe wrote about the whalers encountering strange ruins and hinted at an alien presence on the icebound southern continent, linked to the haunting phrase Tekeli-li.

According to S.T. Joshi, the biographer of H.P. Lovecraft (who used Pym as the basis of his own novel, At the Mountains of Madness--J.T.) "the first book publication of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe is dated 1838 but was copyrighted in June 1837. Two installments had appeared in the January and February 1837 issues of the Southern Literary Messenger, at that time edited by Poe."

So where did Poe get the idea for mysterious ruins in Antarctica? Probably from talking to returning American whalers in the Baltimore waterfront taverns that he loved to haunt. Clearly some very strange shit was going on in Antarctica during the late 1830s, and it was known to Delano and Borden and the other whalers of the New Bedford-Fairhaven-Nantucket area.

A century after Poe penned his Antarctic tale, the Schwabenland returned to Hamburg. Following a swift and effective refitting, the ship departed for Antarctica.

"The official German Antarctic Expedition of 1938- 1939 assumed a long-term strategic importance. Led by Captain Alfred Ritscher, a veteran Arctic explorer, this scientific expedition carried out extensive geographical, meteorological and zoological research in Queen Maud Land, which had formed part of the Norwegian territorial claim on Antarctica since 1930. Two large flying boats of the Dornier-Wal type flew daily from the expedition ship Schwabenland, taking over 11,000 photographs, occasionally landing, covering in all some 600,000 square kilometers and photomapping 350,000 square kilometers. The discovery of high Alpine peaks (Muelig-Hoffman Mountains) and a group of warm-water oases (Schirrmacher Lakes) amid the frozen wastes was of particular interest as it suggested that there were hospitable microclimates (ecosystems) within the icebound continent."

The explorers used harpoons with swastika flags, dropped from the air, to mark off their new territory of Neuschwabenland (German for New Swabia --J.T.). They also drew up a detailed map of the region. However, "today this map cannot be exhibited in Germany. Anyone found in possession of this map is prosecuted under the statues governing denial of the Holocaust."

(Editor's Comment: Linking Capt. Ritscher's map to Holocaust denial is a stretch, even for a Zionist.)

"One of the people who led the expedition was Helmuth Wohlthat," a former German fighter pilot of World War I who had served in Hermann Goering's Jagdstaffel and remained friends with Goering after the war. Wohlthat was an economist by trade and represented the Third Reich at international financial conferences with British and American bankers. A strange choice to play a leading role in an Antarctic expedition, to be sure. But the Portuguese article asserts that "Wohlthat was also a member of the Vril Society and the Thule (Society)," the mystical forerunners of the Nazi party.

Also aboard the Schwabenland was a sizable contingent from Himmler's SS-Ahnenerbe, a kind of "Ministry of the Occult."

"Wohlthat prepared an extensive report of the expedition which he radioed to Goering on May 9, 1939."

"In October of 1939, one month after the beginning of World War II, the Schwabenland was turned over to the Luftwaffe. On December 17, 1939, the ship again left Hamburg, headed for Antarctica, packed with scientists and equipment. This time they were going to build a permanent base in Antarctica."

Running the Royal Navy's blockade, "the Schwabenland returned to Hamburg on April 11, 1940. The ship and her crew were received in Germany as heroes."

But not all of the Germans had returned. A handful had remained behind at the base now called "Point 211."

"In August 1942, the ship was sent to Tromso in Norway, which was then under German occupation. She travelled to Tromso in a convoy of 24 ships."

"During the next year and a half, nobody knew where the Schwabenland was. It was not possible to find any record of its whereabouts. The ship's registration was transferred to Norway, with the approval of the (Vidkun) Quisling government. At the same time, Hitler ceded to Norway a portion of the Antarctic territory claimed by Germany."

Late in 1942, the Schwabenland came under the direct control of the SS. Himmler had the "home port" name on her stern changed from Oslo to Stockholm, and the ship began traveling under a false flag, that of neutral Sweden.

(Editor's Note: In 1965, actor Marlon Brando, who died last week at age 80, made a strange little movie called Morituri. In the film, Brando plays an expatriate German who is blackmailed into spying for the Allies. He winds up on board a German U-boat tender disguised as a Swedish tramp steamer. Was this film a fictionalized version of the wartime South Atlantic voyages of the Schwabenland?)

"On May 19, 1943, the Allies began to suspect that something strange was happening in Antarctica, mainly because of the large number of U-boats passing through the South Atlantic." Himmler was using large supply submarines--the famous milch cow U-boats of Admiral Doenitz--to ferry Organisation Todt construction supplies and equipment to Point 211. Also heading south were thousands of Waffen-SS soldiers and the Antarktisches Seidlungensfrauen (German for Antarctic Settlement Women or ASF).

At this time, "President Roosevelt sent a coded message to President Getulio Vargas of Brazil, complaining that Portugal's (fascist) Prime Minister Dr. Antonio Salazar refused to permit the construction of an Allied naval base in the Azores. Roosevelt told Vargas that Allied intelligence had learned of an existing Nazi submarine base in the islands."

"Unknown to Dr. Salazar, General Eisenhower had prepared plans for a pre-emptive occupation of the Canary Islands (owned by Spain--J.T.) and Cabo Verde (owned by Portugal--J.T.). From these new bases, Allied 'sub- killers' would destroy the U-boat 'migration' to Antarctica."

"An OSS (Office of Strategic Services, World War II forerunner of the CIA--J.T.) document dated May 23, 1944 affirmed that 'Salazar continues to play for time' before drafting a formal response for the Allies."

After the war, Wilhelm Landig, a German expatriate, wrote three novels about Point 211, the Nazi underground Antarctic base. These were Wolfzeit um Thule (1980), Goetzen gegen Thule (1984) and Rebellen fur Thule (1991).

However, Henry Stevens, author of Hitler's Flying Saucers, pointed out that "his books each bore the sub- title 'Ein Roman voller Wirklichkeiten.' (Translated: A novel filled with realities--J.T.), as this novel treatment was an easy avenue in avoiding post-war legal entanglements."

Stevens added, "Mr. Landig recently died, and it is now known that he was a Third Reich insider and knew of what he wrote. As mentioned earlier, it is now known that Landig was a member of the Waffen-SS and at one time was responsible for security for the development of German saucers."

"The (Nazi) Antarctic base was first attacked by the forces of many nations, led by the United States, in a 1946 military operation codenamed Operation High Jump. This operation involved a fleet of ships, including an aircraft carrier, submarines and support craft. It also involved aircraft and four thousand armed troops under the command of Admiral Richard E. Byrd."

(Editor's Note: Admiral Byrd commanded the American expedition to Antarctica from 1928 to 1930.)

"Immediately four aircraft were mysteriously lost, and the whole operation, scheduled for six months' duration, was canceled after less than six weeks."

According to Stevens, the USA detonated three nuclear bombs in Antarctica during the International Geophysical Year 1957-1958. "Landig claims the type of rockets used in the 'test' to attack Point 211 were prototypes of the American Polaris missile, a solid-fuel rocket which was used later operationally. Detonation of these atomic weapons over the (Nazi) base generated electromagnetic shock waves, which, it was hoped, would destroy the (alien) apparatus in the base used for defensive purposes. Landig claims this tactic failed. The electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack was insufficient to destroy the improved apparatus. Both High Jump and the 1957-58 attack turned out not only to be a fiasco but to be superfluous."

Stevens claims the Nazis abandoned their Antarctic Reich in the 1960s. Others claim that Neuschwabenland, "the nation under the ice," continued to grow and flourish, eventually reaching a population of 3 million by the year 2000. The capital, Neuberlin, is said to have an "Alien Quarter" inhabited by a sizable number of extraterrestrial visitors to Earth.

In his book, Alien Races and Fantastic Civilizations, Serge Hutin claimed, "In 1961, an observer in a good position to filter through all 'top secret' information coming to light...told us about the blackout imposed on a discovery made by one of the American stations in Antarctica: the remains of a very old stone pavement found beneath an enormous accumulation of ice."

The unnamed NATO source told Hutin that they weren't sure if it was a prehistoric superhighway dating from before the last Pleistocene glaciation back in 12,000 B.C., a runway for alien spacecraft, or what the Hawaiians call an a'a (fluid) basaltic lava flow.

Hutin added, "In this case, the official order of silence cannot be explained by anything other than a fierce defense of scientific orthodoxy. Proving the existence of a vanished civilization (which readers of H.P. Lovecraft know as Kadath--J.T.) that once flourished on the Antarctic continent would have no effect on the power blocs headed by the United States, the Soviet Union and China." (Hutin wrote his book in 1970--J.T.)

One by one, the secrets of the Antarctic Reich are coming out. But there's still a lot of information kept under wraps. (See the books Alien Races and Fantastic Civilizations by Serge Hutin, Berkley Medallion Books, New York, N.Y., 1975, pages 38 and 39; Hitler's Flying Saucers by Henry Stevens, Adventures Unlimited Press, Kempton, Illinois, 2003, pages 243 to 253; Timeless Earth by Peter Kolosimo, Bantam Books, New York, N.Y., 1975, pages 13, 48, 52 and 252; Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the Politics of Identity by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, New York University Press, 2002, pages 151 to 172; Hitler's Priestess by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, New York University Press, 1998, pages 210 to 213; and The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft by S.T. Joshi, Dell Publishing, 1997, pages 186 to 193. See also OVNIs em Antarctica, Lisboa, 2004. Muito obrigado a Antonio Pinheiro Soares por esas informacoes portugueses.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth--and occasionally Mars, Saturn and Mercury-- brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post the news stories in UFO Roundup on the Web sites or in news groups, provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup | UFO Roundup Vol.9 | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v09/rnd0929.shtml