UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 9
Number 33
August 18th, 2004

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"It's a story that has attracted worldwide attention. A strange animal was shot dead on a south Texas farm, and no one can identify it."

"It's prompted some to wonder if it's the famed Chupacabra."

"That mystery animal has most everyone wondering, 'What is it!?' But we may soon have an answer."

"A rancher in Elmendorf," Texas (population 664), located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of San Antonio, "shot the hairless animal after it killed more than 30 of his chickens. He then buried it on his property. Saturday (August 7, 2004) an organization that specializes in identifying strange animals dug up the remains. Rancher Devin Macanally hopes that the animal's bones will now tell the tale."

"'I thought that by burying it in solid sand it would last longer,' said Macanally, 'But it didn't.'"

"Biologists dug up the animal's remains for DNA testing, a process that could take up to six months."

"'They just dug as far as they needed to get the bone samples,' said Macanally, 'They wanted an ear, but they realized that they couldn't get one.'"

"Some believe the mystery animal could be the Chupacabra, the blood-sucking animal of popular Mexican folklore. Macanally said, whatever it is, he just hopes he gets to know it and that it will stop eating his chickens. He hopes to take the rest of the remains to a zoo in the hopes they can identify it."

"Other labs around the country (USA) and the world have been contacting him, trying to find out what this thing really is."

"Bone from a mystery animal shot by an Elmendorf rancher has been taken to an expert from the San Antonio Zoo. But can he tell what it is?"

"John Gramieri, the mammal curator for the San Antonio Zoo, doesn't think it's the Chupacabra. It's definitely canine, but he thinks it's a mix between a dog and a coyote."

"Devin Macanally shot the Elmendorf Beast after it ate dozens of his chickens. The animal has a blue-grey coloring, is almost hairless, has a short nose and long fangs."

"'It's clearly a member of the dog family, a family candidate,' explains Gramieri."

"Gramieri says he can't tell what type of canine, but that it could be mixed with a coyote that has very weird teeth."

"'For whatever reason, the animal has had poor fusion in the front here, so that it allowed the lower jaw to spread in a way that is not normal for any mammal, actually,' Gramieri said."

"But what about the creature's color? A blue-grey hairless coat that's unlike any dog or coyote."

"'It apparently had some very bad skin ailment,' said Gramieri, 'And the skin ailment made the dog bald except for the top of his body.'" (See the San Antonio, Texas News for August 9, 2004, "Chupacabra? DNA testing underway,' and for August 11, 2003, "S.A. zoo weighs in on Chupacabra debate." Many thanks to Robert Fischer, Loren Coleman, Scott Corrales and Mary Lou Jones-Drown for forwarding these newspaper articles.)


"For some weeks now, numerous residents of Ticul," located in Mexico's state of the Yucatan, "and even other municipalities in the area have made use of the hill that dominates the barrio Benito Juarez (neighborhood) of La Perla del Sur as their nocturnal gathering place."

"The reason for this gathering also became a fashionable subject in this part of the state's alleged UFO sightings, a situation that has also attracted the attention of experts in supernatural phenomena."

"There is no scientific explanation for these events. The alleged witnesses claim they are real, but the people of the vicinity consider this a product of the euphoric sensation experienced at the meeting site."

"The fact remains that it is a party atmosphere" has been obvious "for nearly a week now, including consumption of alcoholic beverages and the presence of street vendors."

"This week, the UFO talk took a turn. Two young men claimed to have filmed the appearance of a mysterious 'vessel' that was visible only for seconds."

"The youths, with the characteristic excitement of those who have just made a great discovery, showed their video of the alleged sighting to a reporter from Diario de Ticul (newspaper). A circle of eight lights spinning on an axis could be seen. The lights" produced by the object "became tilted and elliptical. Suddenly, the mysterious object changes course and vanishes."

Members of the Centro de Analisis de Fenomenos Espaciales (Translated: Space Phenomena Analysis Center-- S.C.) have pointed at the cases involving people who claim having seen unidentified flying objects are fairly common in the Yucatan peninsula, but they are never unlikely known, due to a load of diffusion."

"Cindy Martinez Sanchez, a printer with this statewide organization, reports that the phenomena was seen two nights ago (Monday, August 9, 2004) not only in Ticul but also over on Progreso."

"Many residents of the barrio Vicente Guerrero are witnesses to a mysterious cloud with a bright light that appeared and vanished in the watery reaches of the point, they say. The incident lasted five hours." (See the Mexican newspapers Edicion Yucatan for August 10, 2004, "More mysterious lights over Ticul." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para esto articulo de diario.)


On Thursday, August 12, 2004, at 12:45 a.m., eyewitness L.P. was "walking along Kanata Drive, going north" in Ottawa (population 323,340), Canada's capital, when she "saw a bright light like a Halogen flashlight. It was blinding, extreme brightness, very large. I thought it was an Army night light ( flare in the USA-- J.T.). They shoot this up into the air, and there's a bright white-pink ball that slowly descends, and you can see smoke around it. This one did not descend but just hung in the air. It was totally white and there was no smoke. It was totally amazing."

"As I watched it, it still sat in the air. I could see it fully over the tree line. I called my son on my cell (phone). We live a couple of blocks away. I told him to run outside and see it. While I was still watching it, he said he could see nothing. While it was me watching, it was just to the side of the townhouses, closer than I thought. It was still hovering, not moving closer, not moving away, no sound. I ran towards it, but it just disappeared."

L.P. described the UFO as "a black object," adding that she was "unsure of the shape." (Email Form Report)

That same night, Thursday, August 12, 2004, at 2:35 a.m., eyewitnesses D.W. and his wife, B.W., "saw a bright orange object over the treeline horizon" in Nestor Falls, Ontario, Canada. "It seemed too bright for Venus, which we can sometimes see," they reported, "Seemed to be bright orange and yellowish or white. Seemed to be hovering or moving slightly. After about five minutes, it just disappeared."

"Freaky! Our (electric) power had gone out earlier that night over a large radius. No lightning. No reason."

They described the UFO as "Orange, yellow, white, round. Reminded us of a planet like Saturn. It was fixed in the sky where we saw it. It just disappeared in the distance. It was maybe 1/4 the size of the full moon." (Email Form Report)


An unusual crop circle formation was found on the shores of Lake Huron, at Grand Bend in Canada's Ontario province, on Wednesday, July 21, 2004, but it wasn't reported until Sunday, August 8, 2004.

According to Canadian cerealogist Paul Anderson, the formation consisted of "a 'Vesica Pisces' style of four interlocking circles in wheat." The new formation was "very near the Hensall, Ont. formation of 2003. The (Grand Bend) field unfortunately had already been harvested" by the time researchers arrived "but the pattern was still visible. One digital ground photo taken (Friday) August 13 (2004) contains an aerial anomaly nicknamed 'the Amoeba' because of the odd shape with a dark spot inside of it."

Grand Bend, Ont. is located about 120 miles (192 kilometers) west of Toronto. (Many thanks to Paul Anderson of the Canadian Crop Circle Research Network for this report.)


On Friday, August 6, 2004, Tracey Longbottom spotted the same UFO twice "within the hour" over Winnipeg (population 618,477), the capital of Canada's central province of Manitoba.

"The first sighting was at approximately 12:10 a.m.," Tracey reported, "I have a fifth-floor balcony apartment on Maryland, facing south towards the Maryland Bridge" in Winnipeg. "Initially, my boyfriend saw what he thought was a plane going in the wrong direction, through my front window. We see many planes going through the same flight path, so, other than the odd direction, it did not initially seem that extraordinary. It looked like a bright light with a greenish tinge. It was coming at an unusually slow pace, just over Misericorda Hospital, about the same height (altitude) as a plane."

"While my boyfriend was exclaiming how odd this was, I jokingly said, 'That's because it's a UFO.'"

"We then went to the balcony to get a better look. At that point, it flashed three times, the last two with a most brilliant flash, then it just disappeared. Seems there were a lot of rolling clouds. We continued watching even though it went behind them and would soon reappear."

"We waited for a while for it to reappear, which it did an hour later, at about 1 a.m. This time it was a pinkish red and appeared to be further away but in the same general area. It bobbed in and out of the cloud cover, about three to five times. I could compare it to a firecracker the way it rose and fell in the sky (behind the cloud cover--T.L.), but it wasn't a firecracker from what we could surmise. It also disappeared behind the clouds, and it seemed we could see a faintly illuminated cloud area where it disappeared behind. Possibly it was nestled behind cloud cover." (Email Form Report)


On Tuesday, August 3, 2004, "three men were driving on the Anhanguera Highway" in Brazil's state of Sao Paulo "when they saw something unusual over a field. They stopped the car, and two of the men jumped over the fence to get a little closer."

"One of them had a modern cell phone with him, and he took a photo of a strange, cylinder-like, silver object hovering a few meters above the ground."

"Under the object, which remained hovering for 30 minutes and emitted a sound that sounded like 'several engines working together, some dust could be seen lifting into the air."

"The witnesses do not want to be identified." (See Revista UFO for August 2004. Muito obrigado a Brunilda Barros para eso articulo.)


On Wednesday, August 4, 2004, at 1 p.m., eyewitness Liam was walking through Rubery, South Birmingham, UK when he spotted something unusual in the sky.

"I first thought it was a bird, but it was much too high," he reported, "It seemed to be over the Licky Hills. Very, very fast, going from side to side and up and down and in and out of the clouds. Then it simply disappeared."

Liam described the UFO as "a black object, but I'm unsure of the actual shape." (Email Form Report)


On Saturday, August 7, 2004, at about 8 p.m., eyewitness L.M. "was sitting on the backyard swing" at her home in Ridgeland, Mississippi (population 20,173), about 5 miles (8 kilometers) north of Jackson, the state capital, when she had a UFO encounter.

"The UFO I saw was a white ball. It was at a fairly high altitude and moving at a speed that would have been a jet or a plane," she reported, "I was sitting on the backyard swing about 8 p.m. on Saturday. I had just been staring at the sky in this large open area when I reached down to pick up a piece of trash between my feet. So I looked away for about three to four seconds, and it just appeared out of nowhere. But there was no sound, not one sound, totally silent."

"It was perfectly round, very white--the altitude was higher than the planes and jets that are coming in for landing or taking off, and you can see them visibly when they come over our house. My husband said commercial jets may be a mile above when they are coming in, but the UFO was higher than that. If it had been a plane, it would have been up too high for a landing, but a strange altitude for a plane that was on a normal or settled flight path. It was still visible enough, by all means, to see that it was perfectly round."

"I live not far from the (Jackson Municipal) airport, and I can say with certainty that there were no (navigational) stroke lights that are required by the FAA. While a plane is at that altitude, it cannot move as fast as the ball of light was moving. It was making a straight shot through the sky, but with no sound, and left no chemtrails of any kind, nor was it losing any altitude like a meteor or falling star would. It moved across a vast opening in the sky in 30 seconds or less. Had it been a plane, I would have seen it for several minutes before it crossed that distance. This is the second (UFO) sighting I've had. The other one was the saucer over downtown Jackson in May." (Many thanks to Canadian ufologist Brian Vike for this report.)


On Saturday, August 7, 2004, "at around 1 p.m., rancher Harry Hawes, 72, of Anderson, California (population 9,022) received a call about a dead and mutilated female calf only two or three days old. Hawes is 72 and has been working on his Anderson, Calif. ranch since his discharge from the U.S. Army in 1957. Two years later (1959), he married his wife Carole."

"When Harry saw the newborn calf with its neat, bloodless incisions, he immediately thought of the mutilated cow he had found five years earlier in 1999. His veterinarian took photographs of that case and told Harry that he had no explanation for how the animal's jaw flesh, eyeballs, udder, rectal and vaginal tissues had been removed. Now his newborn heifer had suffered the same fate."

"The calf was lying on its right side," Harry was reported as saying, "And it had its left ear cut off smooth with its head. Its eyeball was missing. The left side, from the ribcage to the flank, this was entirely cut out and missing, and all the internal organs from the lungs, heart and all the way down to the anus were missing. The other ear on the underside was cut off about halfway up--kind of a ragged cut that one was. It looks very strange when you see one of these."

Anderson, Cal. is on Highway 273, located approximately 151 miles (242 kilometers) north of Sacramento, the state capital. (Many thanks to Robert Fischer for this report.)


"Members of a special expedition researching the site of the famous Tunguska meteorite fall" of June 1908 "claimed that they have discovered parts from an extraterrestrial device."

"The expedition, organized by the Siberian Public State Foundation 'Tunguska Space Phenomenon,' completed its work at the scene of the Tunguska meteorite fall on (Monday) August 9 (2004). It was the first excavation of the area since 2000. Guided by space photos, the researchers scoured a wider territory in the vicinity of Poligusa village for parts of the space object that crashed to Earth in 1908 and was later called the Tunguska meteorite."

"The scientists claim they found the remains of an extraterrestrial technical device that allegedly had an accident in Siberia in 1908. They also say they found the so-called 'deer stone'--an artifact reportedly mentioned in the reports of the eyewitnesses of the Tunguska phenomenon. A part of the 'deer stone' has been delivered to a laboratory in Krasnoyarsk for research."

"The head of the expedition, Yuri Lavbin, told MosNews on Tuesday," August 10, 2004, "that the researchers had traced the possible trajectory of the space object, but this time they decided that the object had traveled from west to east, while members of previous expeditions had thought that the object had flown from east to west. The new approach allowed the expedition members to find a buried object covered with trees."

"The object appeared to be a large black cube with metal. The researchers chipped off a piece from the object and will test its composition."

"In a further comment to MosNews, Lavbin noted that according to his calculations, the mass of the space object that collided with Earth in 1908 amounted to about 1 billion tons, and the blast on impact would have destroyed humanity. The fact that it did not happen testifies to the theory that the Tunguska event was an explosion of an artificial object at an altitude of about 10 kilometers (6 miles)."

"'I am fully confident, and I can make an official statement that we were saved by the forces of a superior civilization,' the scientist said, 'They exploded the enormous meteor that headed towards us with enormous speed.'"

"'Now that the strange object which caused the meteor to explode has been found at last, we will continue our research,' Lavbin said."

"The Tunguska event was an aerial explosion that occurred near the Tunguska River in Siberia on June 30, 1908. The blast felled an estimated 60 million trees over 2,150 square kilometers. On that day, several residents observed a huge fireball, almost as bright as the sun, moving across the sky. A few minutes later, there was a flash that lit up half the sky, followed by a shock wave that knocked hundreds of people off their feet and broke windows up to 650 kilometers (406 miles) away."

"The explosion registered on seismic stations across Eurasia and produced fluctuations in atmospheric pressure strong enough to be detected by the recently-invented barographs in Britain. Over the next few weeks, night skies over Europe and western Russia glowed brightly enough for people to read by. In the United States, the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and the Mount Wilson Observatory observed a decrease in atmospheric transparency that lasted for several months."

"The size of the blast was later estimated to be between 10 and 15 megatons. Until this year, members of numerous expeditions had failed to find any remains of the object that caused the event." (See MosNews for August 10, 2004, "Russian researcher says remains of an alien spacecraft found in Siberia." Many thanks to Robert Fischer and Mary Lou Jones-Drown for this newspaper article.)


"Big ape. Big building. And a big set of lungs."

"Few cinematic images have had the iconic staying power of a shrieking blonde squeezed in the mighty paw of a giant gorilla as he climbs to the top of the Empire State Building" in New York City.

"The hairy star of King Kong, 1933's classic clash of man vs. nature, might have monopolized the screen. But audiences were as mesmerized as Kong himself by the squirming and sexy" Montana-born actress "Fay Wray, whose beauty enchanted the beast despite her piercing screams of terror."

(Editor's Note: Sound engineer Murray Spivak created Kong's distinctive roar by visiting the zoo in Los Angeles. He recorded a lion and a tiger roaring. Then he blended the recordings, running the tiger's roar at slow speed backwards simultaneously with the lion's roar playing at regular speed forwards. As for Kong's "love grunts" in his scenes with Fay Wray, that's Spivak's voice. He used a college cheerleader's megaphone while standing in front of the microphone. He had no choice, really. The zoo's gorilla refused to cooperate.)

"Even though Wray, who died Sunday," August 8, 2004, "in New York at age 96 began her career in the silent era and appeared in more than 70 films, including 10 others in 1933, she often felt she was trapped forever in Kong's grip."

"'I used to resent King Kong,' she said in a 1963 interview. 'But I don't fight it any more. I realize it is a classic, and I am pleased to be associated with it.'"

"Hollywood tried to re-create the odd-couple chemistry in a 1976 remake with Jessica Lange. 'They shouldn't have tried,' Wray said after reading the script."

"Perhaps she would have been more satisfied by the upcoming redo starring Naomi Watts and directed by Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame, who credits the original with inspiring him to be a filmmaker."

"Wray married three times. But in the minds of moviegoers of all ages, she is forever hitched to Kong."

"'At the premiere, I wasn't too impressed,' she conceded. 'I didn't realize that King Kong and I were going to be together for the rest of our lives.'"

On Tuesday evening, August 10, 2004, in a touching tribute to the actress, the Empire State Building dimmed its lights for 15 minutes.

Fortean researcher Loren Coleman said, "For those attuned to the Fayette Factor, Fay Wray has always been a classic monicker of interest. Her appearance in the 1933 monster picture, King Kong, a cryptozoological film if ever there was one, was well-known." (See USA Today for August 10, 2004, "Fay Wray, 'King Kong' damsel, dies," page 2D.)


"A vast interstellar bubble illustrates the surprising power of young stars, say Hubble Space Telescope scientists."

"Called N44F, the 35-light-year-diameter 'celestial geode' (one light-year equals about 5.9 trillion miles-- J.T.) exists because of solar winds from a young star blasting off its surface at 4 million miles per hour." (Editor's Note: That makes the luminous "space bubble" a mind-boggling 206 trillion miles in diameter.)

"Astronomers have viewed only a handful of these interstellar bubbles."

"Surprisingly, the inside wall of N44F is sculpted with columns of cool dust and gas as much as 8 light years (47 trillion miles) high."

(Editor's Note: In other words, one of those dust columns would stretch from Earth all the way to Alpha Centauri...and stick out another 20 trillion miles!)

"Shock waves in the gas clouds surrounding the young star may create these columns, perhaps sparking the formation of other stars." (See USA Today for August 16, 2004, "Bubble in space formed by young star," page 10B.)

From the UFO Files...


Film actress Fay Wray passed away in New York City last week at the age of 96. She was best known for her role as the female lead in King Kong.

Feature films were only 17 years old when King Kong, the first true fantasy film, premiered at Radio City Music Hall in March 1933. Producer David O. Selznick persuaded Fay to sign up for the movie by promising her that she would be working with "the tallest, darkest lead in Hollywood."

(Editor's Comment: Well, he didn't exactly lie. He just neglected to mention what species.)

Meriam C. Cooper (thinly disguised as "Carl Denham" in the movie) came up with the idea following a visit to Singapore in 1930. He claimed to have heard the legend of a giant ape somewhere among the islands of the southwest Pacific.

Just how real is that legend?

Very real, according to paranormal researcher Rex Gilroy, author of the book Mysterious Australia. Legends of a gigantic ape "as big as a house" are widespread among the Aboriginal tribes of Australia.

"Apart from the fossil footprints of manlike beings, there are also fossil tracks of giant creatures that appear more ape-like than man-like. Could these tracks be those of Gigantopithecus, the giant manlike ape that reached mainland Asia and Java half a million or more years ago?"

"Much smaller, although still quite large ape-like tracks are preserved in mudstone (shale--J.T.) near Jenolan Caves southwest of Katoomba (New South Wales) and resemble much larger Gigantopithecus footprint fossils."

"Townsville (Queensland) Aborigines claim the huge fossil track found there in 1925 was made by a member of the 'Narragun' race."

"Huge fossil tracks said by Aborigines to have been left by the Narragun giants near Mount Gambier, South Australia, come from volcanic deposits which could be anywhere up to one million years old."

"The most extensive series of giant- and smaller- sized, volcanically-preserved fossil hominid footprints so far discovered at any single Australian location are embedded in mudstone (shale) deep in the Carrai range, which rises up to 1,300 metres (4,200 feet) above sea level, 60 kilometres (36 miles) west of Kempsey on the New South Wales north coast."

"Aborigines who have seen the fossil footprints and handprints say they were made by two different races of giant beings: the giant 'Goolagah' and the half-man, half- animal forebears of the yowies (the Bigfoot of Australia-- J.T.). The evidence suggests that giant hominids shared this region with Gigantopithecus-type creatures at the beginning of the last ice age when volcanic eruptions were commonplace in northern New South Wales."

The Goolagah of the Aborigines is a virtual twin of filmdom's King Kong.

"Blue Mountains Aborigines claimed the Goolagah wandered the mountain-tops hunting the giant kangaroos, giant monitor lizards and other creatures, killing them with spears and stones. They were said to inhabit the New England region of northern New South Wales where fresh campsites could be found."

Wullagun, an Aboriginal tribal elder, was quoted as saying, "When giant fellas alive, them big animals still bin walkabout this country. White men say they all dead, but we savvy one place where him (Goolagah--J.T.) still live. Ground shake when he walk. He eats people."

Could a Kong or two still be hiding out in the remote Australian bush? Gilroy notes, "I know of stories, even from Europeans, telling of giant-sized stone and wooden tools and weapons found in north-western and northern New South Wales today--such as one freshly-abandoned campsite found by a prospector near Brewarrina in 1973."

"Giant man-beasts with large wooden clubs have been claimed seen in the Tweed Valley on the Queensland side of the NSW-Queensland border even in the 1970s."

Interestingly, the "giant ape" legend has also been found in Vanuatu and in New Caledonia, 800 miles (1,280 kilometers) east of Australia.

In 1887, three Boulangists who had been exiled to New Caledonia by French prime minister Leon Gambetta--Roland Chiche, Paul Delieux and Albert Rouleau-- decided to hike overland from Ponerihouen on New Caledonia's east coast to Kone in the west. As they were hacking their way through the tropical rain forest that covers the island's mountainous spine, the men reportedly encountered "a monstrous ape, 6 meters (20 feet) in height, which roared at us and made threatening gestures." The trio held their ground until the ape picked up a boulder and threw it at them. The boulder, which "three of us could not lift," missed the Frenchmen but splintered a coconut tree. The trio fled into the jungle. "The bellows of the beast haunted us for a few kilometers, but then we heard no more of it," Delieux wrote, "We slept in the trees that night but not easily or well."

Perhaps the film's fictional "Skull Island" (Palau Tengkorak in Bahasu, the language of Indonesia--J.T.) really does exist among the yet-unexplored islands of the southwest Pacific. (See Mysterious Australia by Rex Gilroy, NEXUS Publishing, Mapleton, Qlnd., Australia, 1995, pages 186 to 191. Also Les Boulangistes en Nouvelle-Caledonie by Jean Tillier, Editions Populaire, Noumea, 1955.)

(Editor's Comment: I first saw King Kong at a Saturday matinee at the Strand Theatre in Taunton, Mass. in the summer of 1956, when I was six years old. The film didn't give me nightmares, as my mother feared. Instead, it kindled a love affair with Earth's prehistoric fauna that burns as brightly today as it did nearly half a century ago.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home- -UFO Roundup." See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup | UFO Roundup Vol.9 | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v09/rnd0933.shtml