UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 9
Number 48
December 1st, 2004

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"An Indian Air Force (IAF) jet crashed Monday night," November 8, 2004, "the third French-built airplane involved in a crash since September (2004), officials said."

"They said the jet went off military radar 'almost immediately' after taking off around 8:40 p.m. from the central Indian Air Force base at Gwalior and then crashed in a dense forest nearby."

"'The aircraft seems to have caught fire after gaining altitude,' an IAF source told Agence France Presse in New Delhi," India's capital.

"Rescuers rushed to the site to assist its lone pilot."

The jet interceptor was a Dassault Mirage 2000, the aircraft used by the IAF's front-line fighter squadrons.

"On (Tuesday) October 12 (2004), an Indian Air Force Mirage 2000 went down during joint maneuvers with the Singapore Air Force after the pilot lost control due to technical problems."

"Another Mirage 2000 crashed near Gwalior after losing its nosewheel in mid-air on (Thursday) September 23 (2004)."

"An Indian Defence Ministry official said the latest crash was 'bewildering.'"

"'We are really at a loss to figure out why we are now losing Mirage planes. They have been a reliable fighter plane since we began ordering them (in 1985-- J.T.),' the official said, speaking on conditions of anonymity."

The following day, India's newspapers reported that the pilot had not survived the crash. He was Flight Lt. Neehar Gururani, a career IAF officer reputed to be "India's Top Gun."

"With the death of Flight Lt. Neehar Gururani last night, the IAF has lost its second pilot in a Mirage 2000 jet crash."

"Gururani's aircraft hit the ground about 80 kilometers (50 miles) from IAF Gwalior on Tuesday. With this crash, the IAF has lost six Mirage 2000 jets so far-- three of them during the past two months alone."

(Editor's Note: To say nothing of the IAF MiG-21 that went down in the western desert near Bikaner on Monday, November 1, 2004. See UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 46 for November 17, 2004, "A shootdown in India?" page 1.)

"IAF Vice-Chief Air Marshal S.K. Malik said today (Wednesday, November 10, 2004) that preliminary evidence shows the pilot may have been 'disoriented' due to the darkness, so there was no reason to suspect technical or engine failure. Initial reports Monday night had said the pilot was safe, but then the rescue teams reached the site and found Gururani's body."

(Editor's Comment: So India's Top Gun became 'disoriented,' eh? Riiiiight! And if you believe that, you probably think it happens to Chuck Yeager, too.)

"The IAF sent its Director-General of Flight Inspection and Safety, Air Marshal P.S. Ahluwalia, to probe the reason behind the recent series of Mirage crashes."

"'The crashes have been surprising indeed. The Mirage continues to be our finest fighter,' Malik said."

A spokesman for Dassault, the French firm that built the aircraft, said, "We are waiting for a final report from the IAF on the crash. From the information that we have received, it seems possible that the pilot was disoriented; which is why he may not have pushed the panic button."

Gururani was part of a two-plane formation that took off from IAF Gwalior. His wingman "sounded an alert when Gururani did not respond to radio inquiries and disappeared from the radar screen. When the second pilot failed to contact Gururani, he retraced his flight path to find a ball of fire on the ground."

"The dead pilot is the son of IAF Air Marshal S. Gururani, who retired in 1997 as the commander of IAF Maintenance Command."

"Malik said, 'We have seen his fitness reports. He was a good pilot and an enthusiastic boy. It is rather unnerving that this has happened.'"

"The IAF has ordered ten more Mirages to make up for the crash losses, and an additional squadron is expected to arrive by year's end. The Defence Ministry is also considering Qatar's offer of ten of its own Mirages."

"In the October 12 (2004) crash, (the engine's) turbine blades came loose. The pieces are now at the National Metalurgical Laboratory in Jamshedpur for tests. After this, they will be sent to the Dassault factory in France for examination."

Indian ufologists are questioning why Gururani's Mirage descended to 900 meters (3,000 feet) before disappearing from military radar.

Ufologist Daniel Wilson is now comparing UFO reports from India and Pakistan with news accounts of jet crashes in the subcontinent, to see if there's any correlation.

"Until Daniel brought it up, we had not considered the possibility of a clandestine air war. But India has lost six Mirages and one MiG-21," said Krishnari Bai Dharapurnanda, UFO Roundup correspondent in India. "A Mirage was lost on September 23 (2004). This was at the same time many UFOs were seen over Himachal Pradesh (the Himalayas--J.T.) and there were reports of aliens building a base in the mountains overlooking the upper Sutlej River valley."

Gwalior is in India's Madhya Pradesh state approximately 300 kilometers (180 miles) south-southeast of New Delhi. (See the newspaper Indian Express for November 10, 2004, "Another Mirage 2000 military jet crashes." Many thanks to Daniel Wilson and Krishnari Bai Dharapurnanda for this newspaper article.)


On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 5:10 p.m.--just a few hours before Flight Lt. Neehar Gururani's Mirage 2000 went down in central India--three large luminous UFOs were seen by a family in Islamabad, the capital of neighboring Pakistan.

The witness, a 41-year-old Pakistani woman, reported, "I noticed three moving objects in the sky as I sat in my house. I quickly ran outside onto my terrace and called my children, a 15-year-old and a 5-year-old. The three objects were gliding towards the east and going higher and higher. I ran and got a digital camera, but for some reason I could not see the object through the (camera's) lens. Finally, I got a photo."

"The objects were brownish with protuberances but, as they got higher, they formed an L-shaped formation and became round in shape. When I zeroed in with the camera's telephoto lens, I saw that two of the objects were triangular in shape and one was egg-shaped. I am the 41- year-old mother of three children." (Many thanks to Daniel Wilson for this report.)


A U.S. Navy jet crashed near Area 51 in Nevada in early November.

"A Virginia Beach-based F/A-18 Hornet crashed near Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada shortly after takeoff Tuesday," November 9, 2004.

"The pilot ejected and was rescued by a U.S. Air Force rescue crew. He is listed in good condition at the Nellis base hospital."

"His identification is not being released, the Navy said."

"The crash took place about 15 miles (25 kilometers) north of the sprawling base (just west of the Moapa River Indian Reservation--J.T.) just outside Las Vegas, Nev. (population 478,434). The aircraft impacted in a sparsely-populated (desert) area. No one on the ground was injured."

"The plane was assigned to the 'Wildcats' of Strike Fighter Squadron 131, based at Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach, Va., said Mike Maus, a spokesman for the Atlantic Fleet Naval Air Force in Norfolk, Va."

The crashed F/A-18 Hornet "was participating in an exercise with the Air Force Weapons School at Nellis, he said." (See the Virginia Pilot of Virginia Beach, Va. for November 10, 2004, "Pilot safe after Beach-based jet crashes in Nev." Many thanks to Daniel Wilson for this newspaper article.)


"A large UFO resembling an organic creature was recorded on video over Mexico City as it expelled strange spheres from several tentacles."

According to Mexican ufologist Jaime Maussan, "On (Wednesday) October 27 (2004), to be exact, a giant object was videtaped and photographed over Mexico City. It was very impressive and launched spheres."

"This is an inexplicable phenomenon," Maussan added, "It's as though it were an organic being with several tentacles, and some of these tentacles were putting forth spheres. We called in an expert to see if it could have been some sort of balloon, but he said no."

Maussan "revealed that an air traffic controller at the city's airport calculated that the object was flying at over 3,000 meters (10,000 feet), which means that, in order for it to be picked up by a (ground-based) camera, its diameter should have been between 300 and 400 meters (1,000 and 1,330 feet), making this a highly strange and extraordinary event."

"He added that the object made a series of impressive maneuvers, that it braided itself and stretched but was always surrounded by a series of red and blue spheres that appeared to be stuck to the (larger) object's sides."

"'If it's an organic being, where did it come from? How did it get here? That's inside the spheres that it is ejecting? Is this some sort of invasion? Or are we being monitored?'" Maussan asked.

"Maussan said that the images were supplied by Arturo Robles Gil, a professional photographer, who also managed to record it with a camcorder. For this reason, the images are very clear."

Robles Gil "revealed that at first they debated on whether it could be a balloon, but a considerable monetary investment would have been required, aside from the fact that it would have been necessary to assemble it at around 2 in the morning in order for it to be seen at 9 a.m."

"The video's duration is between 5 to 10 minutes, although the object was visible for 10 to 20 minutes," Maussan added.

On Saturday, November 20, 2004, at 4:45 p.m., three Mexican ufologists spotted four mysterious translucent objects in the skies over Tepoztlan, a town in the state of Morelos about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of Cuernavaca.

Ufologist "Salvador Guerrero videotaped four translucent spheres in the town of Tepoztlan, state of Morelos. He was in the company of Amado Marquez and Eduardo Ortega and engaged in intensive skywatching. Guerrero has been an active ufologist since 1981."

"At approximately 4:45 p.m., the team became aware of a strange sphere of the size of a ping pong ball almost at ground level, and they approached it with videocameras to record evidence. They made videotapes with three different cameras."

"Subsequently, the object came out from behind a tree bough and remained surprisingly motionless, then moving up and down with intelligent movement, according to Salvador Guerrero. At one point, the object was close to his own body, scant centimeters (inches) away."

"It was then that he reached out and touched it. Upon contact with his skin, the sphere released a gelatinous fluid that caused harm and discomfort to the skin, leaving a red rash on his flesh."

"A total of four spheres were sighted with intervals of five minutes between each sighting."

During this time, "teachers and children from the Escuela Meztitla (school)" in Tepoztlan "joined the trio" and watched the diminutive UFOs.

According to Mexican ufologist Ana Luisa Cid Fernandez, who interviewed Guerrero after the sighting, "He still reports discomfort to his hand. He has been advised to see a physician to obtain a diagnosis as to what happened to his skin."

"Guerrero has recorded similar (UFO) phenomena before but never touched it."

The team's videotapes were aired Thursday, November 18, 2004, on The Omar Chaparro Show and on Jaime Maussan's TV show, Los Grandes Misterios de Tercer Milenio.

(Translated: Great Mysteries of the Third Millenium--J.T.) (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Ana Luisa Cid Fernandes para estas historias de OVNIs.)


"The mysterious booms first heard on Richmond's north side are now being heard in other part of the area" surrounding the city, the state capital of Virginia, "including Henrico and Chesterfield counties."

"A city spokesman says Richmond's officials also have heard from officials in Indiana and Canada, where similar booms have also been felt."

"The booms started in Richmond on" Tuesday, November 2, 2004, "and have happened several times a week since. Most of them happened in the northern part of the city (Greendale, Lakeside and Regency Square--J.T.), and on Sunday," November 21, 2004, "authorities got 250 calls to report an afternoon boom."

"City officials have ruled out construction, railroads or factories, along with public utilities, military exercises and private activities."

"Advanced electronic equipment is being brought to the city to help pinpoint the source of the booms." (See the Richmond, Va. Times-Dispatch for November 23, 2004, "Mysterious booms now being heard elsewhere in the area." Many thanks to Robert Fischer for this newspaper article.)


On Sunday, October 31, 2004, at 7 p.m., the eyewitness, Eddie C., was driving in rural Cheshire about 15 miles (25 kilometers) south of Liverpool. Stopping in Wirral, he took some photographs. After these were developed, he was astounded to see a UFO in one image.

"The object didn't appear until the film was developed," said Eddie, who described himself as having a theatrical background but who was now studying "with a well-known spiritual medium in UK. The lights could not be seen with the naked eye--only with the development of the photos. I was very excited."

On Saturday, November 13, 2004, at 3:18 p.m., eyewitness Lloyd Bailey reported, "Travelling along Every Street" in Ancotes, a suburb of Manchester, "I was playing a game on my dad's phone when a dark shape caught my eye. I turned to look over to the field to it and saw a dark oval shape with what looked like wings sticking out of its sides. I had enough time to convert my dad's phone to camera (mode) and took a photo of the object."

"The object was just above the houses, maybe 150 to 200 feet (45 to 60 meters). It was travelling at an incredible rate of speed. After the initial sighting, it just disappeared." (Many thanks to Stefan Duncan of AUFON for the Cheshire report; the Ancotes report was an Email Form Report.)


"Martin Hale believes the footprints in his garden belong to none other than Cambridgeshire's fabled 'Fen Tiger.'"

"The latest reported evidence of the existence of the mythical beast lies in his three-acre garden at Ivy Farm, The Green, Rampton," Cambridgeshire, UK.

"The parish council chairman said the outside light kept going on between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Friday," November 19, 2004, "but he did not go out and investigate."

"But when walking with his Cocker spaniel Lucy at 1 p.m. later the same day, he made the discovery."

"Metal trader Mr. Hale, 52, said, 'Lucy picked up a scent. Because the sun was in the southwest, it showed the prints in the grass. You could see the prints clearly, and the trail was about 60 yards (54 meters) long and went in a snake-like pattern, not in a straight line. The prints were the size of a clenched fist, similar to one I've seen before.'"

"Mr. Hale says he has seen prints several times over the past four years and has seen the beast--or beasts--on two occasions."

"'Both times it was either slouched down or running away. It's larger than a fox, about one-and-a-half times as big, and the tail stands erect. It's a light sandy colour with dark rings on its tail,' he said."

"Checking what he had seen against big cat information on the Internet, the closest match was an African wildcat."

"This time, Mr. Hale was able to take more accurate measurements of the prints. Each is about four-and-a-half inches (11.2 centimeters) long, the spacing between the prints is 22 inches (55 centimeters) and they are ten inches (25 centimeters) apart laterally."

"He is hoping the new information could help zoologists or other big cat experts solve the long-running riddle."

"Rumours of a large, cat-like creature date back to the 1950s, and speculation is fueled by every reported sighting. There were 34 (sightings) in Cambridgeshire between January 2003 and March 2004." (See the Cambridge News for November 22, 2004, "Is the legendary Fen Tiger on the prowl?" Many thanks to Robert Fischer, UFO Roundup's phantom panther expert, for this newspaper article.)


"Swarms of locusts devoured leaves and palm trees Sunday," November 21, 2004, "leaving people concerned about biblical plagues."

"The pests swept up from Egypt, making their way north on a path that could take them to the West Bank town of Jericho, where (USA) Secretary of State Colin Powell" met with "Palestinian officials Monday," November 22, 2004. (For more on the locust swarms in Egypt, see UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 47 for November 24, 2004, "Plague of locusts invades Egypt," page 13.)

"The red locusts originated in West Africa and traveled through Libya and Egypt. The insects are present every year in Africa, but this year's swarms are especially large due to prolonged periods of heavy rainfall, according to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO)."

"Israel's Agricultural Ministry had not by Sunday reported serious damage to crops in the arid Arava and Negev deserts. Ministry planes were spraying onion, pepper and melon fields near Israel's southern borders with Egypt and Jordan."

"Officials in the Red Sea resort of Eilat said many of the plants and the trees in the city's parks have been stripped of their foliage by the pests. The locusts seem to prefer palm and olive trees, basil, grape leaves and grass."

"'If these pests land on my fields, it's all over,' potato farmer Menachem Tzafiur told the Yediot Ahronot newspaper. 'They destroy a whole year's work in a matter of minutes.'"

(Editor's Comment: Sad but true--the farmer's plight is the same the world over.)

"Eilat residents on Sunday found their lawns blanketed in red with the insects. Some children questioned their parents if darkness, the ninth biblical plague after locusts, was soon to come."

"According to the Book of Exodus in the Old Testament, the Egyptian suffered ten plagues before Pharoah agreed to let the enslaved Israelites free. Locusts were the eighth plague."

"Both Yediot Ahronot and Maariv reported on the delight of Thai workers on southern farms, who consider the insects a delicacy." The newspapers offered "instructions for the culinary curious on how to grill the locusts 'turning them over until they (turn) yellow.'"

(Editor's Note: The Nuche indigenous people of the USA's Southwest, also known as the Ute Indians, used to roast Mormon crickets over campfires and eat them like popcorn.)

"Rabbi David Batzri, a leading Kabbalist (Jewish mystic--J.T.), blamed the locusts on poverty and urged the Israelis to give to the poor to help expel the pests."

"Agricultural Ministry officials said they were concerned that the warm weather on Sunday could prompt the locusts to begin breeding. This would cause greater damage, since young locusts have large appetites, the officials told Yediot Ahronot."

"The insects, which usually live between two to six months, eat their weight--about 0.07 ounces--in crops every day. They can travel 200 kilometers (120 miles) each day."

On Thursday, November 25, 2004, "Israel called on Egypt to take steps to control swarms of red locusts that have invaded southern Israel and are eating crops. They began moving into Israel on Friday," November 19, 2004.

"Israeli Agriculture Minister Yisrael Katz said he offered to help Egypt" combat the swarms "by supplying spray planes, equipment and know-how. Egypt hadn't commented." (See the Israeli newspaper Yediot Ahronot for November 21, 2004, "A plague of locusts!" Also USA Today for November 26, 2004, "Israel offers Egypt aid in combatting locusts." Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi, UFO Roundup's Middle East correspondent, for the Israeli article.)

(Editor's Comment: Believe it or not, there's a verse in the Bible that actually predicted this plague--Micah 7:1- 2. "What misery is mine! I feel like the fruit picker after the harvest who can find nothing to eat. Not a cluster of grapes or a single fig can be found to satisfy my hunger. The godly people have all disappeared; not one fair-minded person is left on the earth. They are all murderers, even setting traps for their own brothers.")


The Fayette Factor took another strange turn on Friday, November 26, 2004, the day after the USA's Thanksgiving Day holiday. It happened in Lafayette, Louisiana (population 110,257), which has been plagued all year with bizarre murders and disappearances.

"The busiest shopping day of the year turned out to be a sticky affair" in Lafayette, Louisiana.

"Vandals apparently glued the locks on dozens of Lafayette's biggest retailers, preventing managers from opening up promptly on lucrative 'Black Friday.' Hundreds of shoppers, some of whom arrived before dawn, were forced to wait outside Barnes & Noble, Old Navy and other stores while managers summoned locksmiths."

"At least 200 locks on dozens of businesses were glued, including main entrances, locksmith Garan Wilson said."

"Wilson's first job at about 5 a.m. was to make his way to the first door lock at Old Navy--by pushing through 500 shoppers waiting outside, he said."

"'I found about half a tube of glue stuck inside,' he said."

"Kevin Vizena, head locksmith of Pop-A-Lock in Lafayette, said the vandals squeezed the glue deep inside the keyholes, forcing him to drill holes and remove the locks from the doors."

"Chuck Trenchard, an employee of S & K Menswear, said the prank had cost his store more than $1,000 in business, because potential customers had arrived early, then took off because they couldn't get inside."

"Most of the stores had doors open for customers by mid-morning, Vizena said."

"Lafayette police had no suspects but were investigating the vandalism as a case of possible criminal mischief or criminal damage to property, both misdemeanors, Lt. Angelo Lorio said." (See The Advertiser of Lafayette, La. for November 27, 2004. Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this news story.)


"The fastest-swiveling space science observatory ever built rocketed into orbit Saturday," November 20, 2004, "to scan the universe for violent celestial explosions that astronomers believe represent the birth screams of black holes."

"NASA launched the observatory--named Swift for its speedy pivoting and pointing--following weeks of delays caused by hurricanes and a three-day postponement due to rocket trouble. The unmanned rocket climbed smoothly through a cloud-flecked midday sky" in Cape Canaveral, Florida "and delighted flight controllers wished the spacecraft a successful mission."

"Swift, a $250 million collaboration by NASA, Italy and Britain, should begin its hunt for gamma-ray bursts by January (2005) and ease some of the mystery surrounding these explosions and black holes."

"Gamma-ray bursts are the most powerful events in the universe, exceeded only by the cosmic curtain-raising Big Bang itself. Lasting just a few seconds on average, the bursts appear out of nowhere like flashlight beams and are thought to signal the formation of black holes."

"Astronomers theorize the collapse or collision of massive stars is what produces black holes--so dense not even light can escape--and that the resulting gravitational energy sends gamma rays shooting out across time and space."

"'We think that, perhaps, bursts are the birth cries of black holes and we're seeing these across the universe,' said NASA's Neil Gehrels, principal scientist."

"A single gamma-ray burst releases more energy than the sun will emit in its entire lifetime at all wavelengths, Gehrels said."

To give our UFO Roundup readers some idea of how fantastically powerful a gamma-ray burst is, here's a brief list of energy comparisons.

(1) One nuclear power plant equals 10,000 campfires.
(2) Our sun equals one hundred million billion nuclear plants.
(3) One supernova (explosion caused by a dying star-- J.T.) equals 100 million suns.
(4) One gamma-ray burst equals one trillion supernovae.

"Put another mind-blowing way, 'If you added together everything in the rest of the universe during that second, it would not be as bright as the gamma-ray burst,' said Pennsylvania State University astrophysicist John Nousek, director of mission operations."

"So far, astronomers have managed to identify only a couple dozen gamma-ray bursts, as close as a few million light-years and as far as 12 billion light-years" away.

(Editor's Note: One light-year equals 5.9 trillion miles.)

"Swift should zero in on two gamma-ray bursts a week as far away as 15 billion light-years, representing the very first generation of stars, for a grand total of more than 200" to be surveyed "during the planned two-year mission."

"The spacecraft will scan one-sixth of the sky at any one time and thus see one-sixth of all gamma-ray bursts out there. The observations will help scientists learn more about what the bursts are, how black holes are formed, and how many are out there."

"As soon as Swift's gamma-ray burst-alert instrument spots an explosion, the spacecraft will quickly turn all by itself so that two other on-board telescopes can observe the X-rays and ultraviolet and optical light streaming from the afterglow."

"This swinging into position will take just one minute, lightning speed by astronomical standards because of Swift's six momentum wheels, double the number for a science satellite. Speed is crucial because once the ever-so-brief gamma-ray burst subsides, the afterglow is difficult to find and fades within hours or sometimes weeks."

"News of the gamma-ray burst and its precise location instantly will be relayed to astronomers everywhere by the mission control center at Penn State. Ground observatories can then be aimed to assist in the afterglow analysis."

"Deputy project manager Tim Gehringer calls Swift 'the Roadrunner of spacecraft, speeding from birth to birth as it advances mankind's knowledge of the most violent explosions in the universe.'"

"After chasing gamma-ray bursts for a year or two, Swift will expand its repertoire to other rapidly- occurring cosmic events." (See the Duluth, Minn. News- Tribune for November 21, 2004, "Spaceship hunts for gamma- ray bursts," page 14A.)


"A student carrying a machete and another knife slashed five classmates Wednesday morning," November 24, 2004, "as they watched a Spanish video, authorities said."

"Eight Valparaiso High School students" in Valparaiso, Ind. (population 27,428) "were taken to the hospital, including the accused attacker, a 15-year-old freshman, Police Chief Michael Brickner said."

"All but one of those injured were released by Wednesday afternoon, he said."

"Five suffered cuts and the others complained of pain from other injuries, authorities said."

"Authorities did not release any information about a possible motive for the attack, which happened as classes were starting at the school," which is located approximately 48 miles (77 kilometers) southeast of Chicago.

"Brickner said that before carrying out the attack, the student asked his teacher for permission to close the classroom door. He shut the door and then started swinging the weapons at his classmates, the police chief said."

"'The kid, after he stabbed them, he ran out of the room and a bunch of teachers tackled him,' sophomore Clark Hogan said, 'I saw the lady kick the knife down the hallway. She kicked it against the wall.'" (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for November 25, 2004, "Student slashes five classmates," page 2A. Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this news story.)

(Editor's Note: Valparaiso is a UFO hotspot in Indiana, and there have been many UFO sightings there in recent years. And it's not just happening in Indiana. Read on...)


"A man is on the run after breaking into a school in central China and stabbing eight boys to death as they slept in a dormitory."

"Teachers and local authorities told China's Xinhua News Agency that four others were injured in the attack in Ruzhou," a city in China's Henan province.

"'It happened in the boys' dormitory. It happened around midnight,' said a teacher at the school."

"'All the dead are high-school-level children,' she said."

"It is the sixth such attack in four months and comes a day after a man was executed for a similar attack in Shandong, in which 24 children were injured, and a nine- year-old girl was kidnapped."

"Reports say two of the four injured are in serious condition, and local police are investigating."

"Authorities believe the man was alone when he broke into the school and stabbed the victims in their beds."

"'It happened in several dormitories, at least three,' said a Ruzhou government official, adding that all of the victims were in lower bunk beds."

"China has reacted angrily to the latest wave of violence, with some schools employing professional security guards to protect students."

"Last month (October 2004) a five-year-old boy and his teacher were killed at a Beijing kindergarten by a burglar, and the boy's body was found stuffed in a washing machine."

"In September (2004), a man with a knife and homemade bombs attacked 28 children in a kindergarten in east China's Suzhou city. However, no one was killed."

"A caretaker with a history of mental illness stabbed 17 children, killing one, in an attack on a Beijing kindergarten in August (2004)." (See the newspaper Wuhan Daily for November 26, 2004, "Eight students killed in Ruzhou." Many thanks to Loren Coleman and Chen Jilin for this newspaper report.)



Concerning the feature story in UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 47, "2004: Prisoner of the Aliens," Terry Duckworth writes, "If that guy who was held prisoner in the underground base gets spooked by pointed chins, he'd better stay away from the tabloids. Check out all the pointed chins in the Globe for November 15th (2004), pages 58 and 59. Of the six celebs shown, Nicky Hilton is the only one without a pointed chin. Isn't that weird?"

(Editor's Comment: A bit.)

From the UFO Files...


On Tuesday, December 2, 1941, the Matson Lines steamship S.S. Lurline was sailing from Los Angeles to Honolulu, Hawaii. Sitting in the ship's "radio shack" was Leslie E. Grogan, "who described himself as 'a 260 pound blimp.' The 47-year-old Grogan (was) one of the most experienced radio operators of the Matson Line."

He checked his watch--7:30 p.m. Twisting the dials, he thought, With any luck, I ought to be able to pick up an NBC station. It was 9:30 p.m. in California, and time for Fibber McGee and Molly. No doubt Grogan was wondering what the gang at 79 Wistful Vista was up to this week.

But instead of the sound of clutter spilling out of a closet, Grogan "picked up a faint signal which he could not identify. It came from northwest by west, a peculiar area for (marine) traffic at this time of year. What would anyone be doing in such rough, northerly waters?"

At midnight, chief radio operator Rudy Asplund joined him. The two men strained to pick up the mysterious radio signals. "They increased, grew louder, and" Grogan and Asplund "could make out the call letters JCS, Yokohama. It was in some Japanese code."

In his journal, Grogan wrote, "The Japs are blasting away on the lower Marine Radio frequency--it is all in the Japanese code and continues for several hours. Some of the signals were loud, and others weak, but in most every case, the repeat-back was acknowledged verbatim."

"So much of the signals reaching us on the S.S. Lurline were good enough to get good RDF (Radio Direction Finding--J.T.) bearings. We noticed that signals were being repeated back, possibly for copying by crafts with small antennas. The main body of signals came from a Northwest by West area, which from our second night from Los Angeles bound for Honolulu--would be North and West of Honolulu."

The S.S. Lurline had picked up radio traffic from Kido Butai, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) task force that was bearing down on Pearl Harbor.

The S.S. Lurline docked in Honolulu on Wednesday, December 3, 1941. "Immediately upon docking at the Aloha Tower, Grogan presented his transcript of the broadcasts and the RDF bearings to Lieutenant Commander George Pease of (the Office of) Naval Intelligence."

Robert B. Stinnett, author of Day of Deceit: The Truth about FDR and Pearl Harbor, wrote, "If Pease, who died in a plane crash in 1945, ever submitted a report on the Lurline's locating Japanese warships north of Hawaii by RDF, it has disappeared. So has the Lurline's original radio log," which vanished from a federal documents archive in California in 1981.

One of the Japanese "crafts with small antennas" was the IJN long-range fleet submarine, the I-26. On Wednesday, November 19, 1941, the submarine, commanded by Captain Minoru Yokota, left the Japanese naval base at

Yokosuka and put to sea.

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto wanted the I-26 pre- positioned in the Gulf of Alaska. Should the negotiations with the USA fail, Kido Butai would attack Pearl Harbor, and the I-26 would attack any American naval or commercial ships Yokota might encounter in those waters.

The Japanese I-boats were larger and roomier than German U-boats or American Tang-class submarines. They even came equipped with small spotter planes. The I-26 reached her position, about 250 kilometers (150 miles) south of Alaska's Kodiak Island. The lack of maritime traffic puzzled Capt. Yokota.

Unknown to the Japanese, President Roosevelt had declared a "Vacant Sea" policy for the North Pacific "and ordered all U.S. and allied shipping out of those waters." The order to divert all Allied ships went from Washington D.C. to the Twelfth Naval District in San Francisco and to Admiral Husband E. Kimmel, nickname "Mustapha" (because he'd been in Turkey after World War I--J.T.), the U.S. Navy commander in Hawaii, on Tuesday, November 25, 1941. Curiously, this order was issued one hour after Kido Butai had left the anchorage at Hittokappu Bay, Japan.

FDR's order actually overruled measures Admiral Kimmel had taken to protect Hawaii. Two days earlier, on Sunday, November 23, 1941, Kimmel had sent out the Navy's Pacific fleet on Exercise 191. Stinnet pointed out, "The object of the exercise called on Force Black (Japan) to conduct an air raid on Force White (USA). Exercise 191 would prove eerily similar to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto's Operations Order No. 1, which set forth Japan's naval plans for the Hawaii raid."

"In a bizarre series of coincidences, Yamamoto and Kimmel selected the identical launch area--the Prokofiev Seamount, an extinct underwater volcano about 200 miles (320 kilometers) north of Oahu."

So the I-26 was left to cruise around in the Gulf of Alaska, looking in vain for American ships. But then, while running on the surface the night of Friday, December 5, 1941, something unusual happened.

Seaman Tomoyuki Kawaguchi was on watch in the submarine's conning tower when he thought he saw a glimmer of light to the west-southwest. Lifting the high-power binoculars, he spotted "a luminous disk flying below the clouds" at about 15 degrees above the horizon. What on earth is that!? he wondered, and, after hesitating almost a minute, he summoned the boat's O.D. (Officer of the Deck--J.T.), Lieutenant Okuma.

Looking through the binoculars, Okuma did not see the disk, but he did see lights reflected on the underside of the clouds on the horizon. Turning to another Japanese sailor, he said, "Tell the captain we have lights on the horizon. Possibly an American ship. Bearing two-six- five."

Upon hearing this, Capt. Yokota ordered, "Rig for diving." The klaxon went off, and the Japanese sailors rushed to their stations.

Once submerged, Capt. Yokota ordered full speed ahead and then called, "Up periscope." As the periscope emerged from its well, he snapped down the levers, put his eye to the eyepiece, and scanned the horizon.

The lights had gone.

Confident that the I-26 could catch the unknown ship, Capt. Yokota continued the pursuit. But every time they scanned the western horizon, there was no sign of any ship. After midnight, the captain handed over the conn to one of the junior officers and retired to his cabin.

A little after 4 a.m., the orderly awoke Capt. Yokota and said they had found the mysterious light again. Only now it was a glimmer on the eastern horizon.

How did it get behind us? he wondered. His junior officers had been using the periscope at 15-minute intervals.

When the sun rose on Saturday, December 6, 1941, Capt. Yokota got a look at the ship approaching from the northeast. She was the S.S. Cynthia Olsen, a 2,120-ton wooden freighter carrying a load of lumber to Honolulu. (In Duluth, this type of vessel is known as a "lumber hooker"--J.T.) "None of the twenty-five crew members was aware that the ship was being trailed by a Japanese submarine."

After dark, the I-26 surfaced and kept well astern of the Olsen. The submarine received a brief coded message from Japan. Niitaka yama nobore. (Translated: Climb Mount Niitaka--J.T.) War with the USA would commence at 8 a.m. Honolulu time on Sunday, December 7, 1941.

At 5 a.m., the I-26 submerged, and Capt. Yokota used the periscope to keep the Olsen in view. Promptly at 7:55 a.m., "the I-26 surfaced and fired over the bow of the freighter to warn it to stop. When it kept moving, Yokota ordered a torpedo fired. It missed, but the Cynthia Olsen stopped and the crew began lowering their two lifeboats."

"When the last (American) seaman clambered aboard and the boats pulled away from the doomed freighter, the I-26 began hammering at it with a 15cm (150-millimeter) gun; then, frustrated that the Cynthia Olsen was taking so long to sink, Yokota sent a torpedo into it. The ship rolled onto its right side."

The Cynthia Olsen took four hours to sink. The I-26 left the area and headed south to Hawaii, leaving the Olsen's 25-man crew in their lifeboats.

The men of the Cynthia Olsen were never seen again.

When author John Toland interviewed Yokota in Japan in 1979, the Japanese captain maintained that the lifeboats were seaworthy and the American crew unharmed when he left the scene. The S.S. Lurline, then on her way back to San Francisco, picked up the Olsen's distress call at 8 a.m. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, U.S. Navy PBY Catalina aircraft overflew the area and spotted the Olsen's oil slick and debris field.

But the crew and the two lifeboats were never found. Nothing--not even a life preserver--washed ashore in Alaska or Hawaii.

(Editor's Note: A situation similar to the S.S. Rouse Simmons, a ship which disappeared on Lake Michigan in 1913 and is thought by some to have been swallowed up by the Lake Michigan Triangle.)

One has to wonder if the "luminous disk" Kawaguchi saw returned and picked up the Olsen's crew during the confusion that followed the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Nor was the S.S. Lurline the only source to provide Washington with advance warning of the Pearl Harbor attack.

According to Stinnett, then-FBI director J. Edgar Hoover "forwarded the reports to FDR via the President's military aide, Major General Edwin "Pa" Watson. Eight 'special messenger' reports, some containing British intercepts of Japanese messages, were delivered. One serial, 61-10556-399, dated November 13, 1941, contains 32 pages of British WT (Wireless Telegraph--J.T.) intercepts of Japanese messages. Hoover wrote a directive by hand on Serial 399 to his assistant (and reputed lover--J.T.) Clyde W. Tolson: 'Get this to Watson, Berle, Miles and Wilkinson at once.'"

In 1995, Stinnett added, fifty years after the end of World War II, "Attorney General Janet Reno and her public affairs chief, Carl Stern, declined to declassify Serial 399 and labeled it a B-1 National Defense Secret under the provisions of the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act-- J.T.)."

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Just what is an "A-1 National Defense Secret?" Roswell? (See the books Day of Deceit: The Truth about FDR and Pearl Harbor by Robert B. Stinnett, Simon & Schuster Inc., New York, N.Y., 2000, pages 146 to 152, 195 to 198 and 340; Long Day's Journey Into War by Stanley Weintraub, Truman Talley Books, Dutton, New York, N.Y., 1991, pages 69, 319, 320 and 321; and Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath by John Toland, Doubleday & Co., Garden City, N.Y., 1982, pages 278 to 280, 285, 306, 307, 316, 317, 318 and 322.)

That's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next time!

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup | UFO Roundup Vol.9 | Report a Sighting
Latest Updates | Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v09/rnd0948.shtml