UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 10
Number 14
April 6, 2005

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"Tradesman Vanderlei Rodrigues dos Santos, 42, was the victim of an abduction in Santa Maria," a large city in Brazil's southernmost state of Rio Grande do Sul.

"On (Wednesday) March 30, 2005, the witness, who was driving to Pascoa to visit his family, complained to police that he was taken by some extraterrestrials. He was captured right after 9:30 p.m."

"The abduction took place on (highway) BR-158" in central Rio Grande do Sul state, "near Vila Bilibio, where Vanderlei's family lives. In need of gasoline, he stopped at a service station. When he left his car, Vanderlei was siezed by the aliens."

"He said that he first noticed 'a strange kind of ship' hovering high above the BR-158. It then drew closer and landed in an adjacent field."

"'In this moment, I thought I was going to die,' Rodrigues dos Santos said, 'I thought of my wife, my sons and my family. This is definitely the truth I'm telling you.'"

"Vanderlei is not certain how long he was held aboard the ship. He said he completely lost track of time. He said he was taken to a laboratory aboard the ship, where three aliens extracted skin, hair and blood samples from him."

"'They were three little humanoids,' he said, 'All had big skulls and small, spindly torsos. I wanted nothing to do with them, but they brought me along into the ship. When I clearly saw the eyes of one (alien), they were as dark and as blank as the eyes of a newborn.'"

"Vanderlei said it was 'about 6 a.m.'" on Thursday, March 31, 2005, "when the extraterrestrials put him off the ship. He found himself back on Earth but at a service station on the Avenida Presidente Vargas in Santa Maria, dozens of kilometers from the location where he had left his car. He used the service station's telephone to call the police and report the abduction."

Santa Maria, R.S. is located 250 kilometers (150 miles) west of Porto Alegre, the state capital. (See the Brazilian newspaper O Diario da Santa Maria for March 31, 2005. Muito obrigado a Eustaquio Andrea Patounas e Brunilda Barros por eso caso.)


A large UFO was seen flying over the town of Valemount in eastern British Columbia, Canada on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 at around 11:45 p.m.

"During the Council meeting on Tuesday night, councillor John Nordli reported seeing a large aircraft flying low over Valemount at around 11:45 p.m."

"On Friday," March 25, 2005, "the Robeson Valley Times received a phone call from an anonymous source corroborating the same."

"The source said that the large grey airplane passed silently overhead about 10 feet (3 meters) above the treeline, heading northwest towards the Valemount Hotel. Our tipster reported turning off his car ignition and rolling down the window to try and hear the sound of an engine, but heard nothing."

"Curiously, an 'earwitness' in a shop in Valemount reported hearing but not seeing the plane pass overhead."

"Shortly after Nordli's sighting in Valemount, another plane, or possible the same one, was spotted at McBride, B.C.," 55 miles (88 kilometers) northwest of Valemount.

"At 12:10 a.m.," on Wednesday, March 23, 2005, "Jim Bartlett noticed a large dark grey or black plane pass through the valley heading west at about 1,500 feet (450 meters). Bartlett had his binoculars handy and studied the plane for some time as it passed by but could see no markings. He guessed it to be a military plane for its dark exterior and because the back door was outlined in yellow."

"'As to what kind of plane it was, I have no idea,' he said, 'It is strange. It's not the typical kind of plane you see around here.'"

"A quick check at the Kamloops B.C. Flight Information Centre turned up nothing definitive. However, there was a large military exercise involving aircraft scheduled in Kamloops last week."

Valemount (population 1,309) is on Provincial Highway 5, the Yellowhead South Highway just west of the Saskatchewan border, located about 175 miles (280 kilometers) north of Kamloops, B.C. (See the Robeson Valley Times for March 30, 2005, "Unidentified aircraft passes through valley." Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this newspaper article.)


On Thursday, March 24, 2005, at 6 p.m., the eyewitness said, "I was looking outside my window" near Route 6 in the Riverside section of East Providence, R.I. (population 48,688), looking east, to see the moon looking full and extremely bright, like a globe. There were two objects. They looked like bright stars. They were coming from the southeast near Cape Cod (Massachusetts), traveling north, heading towards Boston. I noticed them through the window and went outside to get a better view."

"They were very high up like the stars. They didn't appear to be moving so fast that they disappeared. But they were so far away that they must have been really jolting."

"About three or four minutes later, I went to find some binoculars. I figured I'd already seen them with the naked eye. If I had binoculars, I could really see them up close. Probably have more detail, maybe? Also, I would have noticed a high rate of speed. Anyway, when I returned back outside, I was not surprised that I couldn't find them any more--but a bit disheartened."

"Although there was a moon, the sky was black. I don't think they were shooting stars because I've seen something like that before when I was putting up a convertible (canvas) top and looking at stars. Only these two moved across the sky like a pen across a sheet of paper. The mysterious thing was, in the middle (of their movement--J.T.) they made a > turn like that. So what it did was go straight and then made a small V-turn to the right. Then continued to go straight again to the north. I would estimate their altitude at between 10,000 to 12,000 up to 30,000 feet (2,700 meters). Too high to be an airplane. Much too far away." (Email Form Report)


On Thursday, March 24, 2005, at 11:40 p.m., Luis Torres was waiting on a sidewalk in North Charleston, South Carolina (population 79,641) when a strange object suddenly approached from the southeast.

"While waiting for my ride home, I was looking up to the sky and noticed an object appear all of a sudden in the sky, rapidly moving in an arc of 8 degrees," Luis reported, "Then the object resumed a straight flight at approximately 2 degrees above the horizon, at which time it simply disappeared."

"There was a waxing gibbous moon with Venus to the lower left of it. Not too many stars visible with some clouds moving really fast. Air traffic was apparent as two flights seemed to arrive consecutively."

Luis described the "object color" as "red on the sides, yellow from the middle towards the back and white on the front edge. Its shape was round as seen from the bottom. Even though it appeared to be extremely high in the air, its body appeared to be one very large craft compared to regular aircraft. I could possibly fit three more passenger aircraft in it."

"The height (altitude--J.T.) was approximately three times higher than regular passenger aircraft," about 100,000 feet or 30,000 meters. "No sound was heard although the craft moved at breakneck speed across the sky." (Email Form Report)


On Sunday, March 20, 2005, at 6:15 p.m., Floyd Utley was driving north on Route 31W in Franklin, Kentucky (population 7,996) and saw a strange object in the sky, "coming from the north and going south" into Tennessee.

"We were in a car headed north," Floyd reported, "We were driving down the road and saw a big, bright, white light at 6:15 p.m. Bluish-white in color. Couldn't really see a shape. It was high in the air, like it was a new tower or something. It got very bright and then was just gone."

Asked if the incident was reported in the local media, he replied, "None we know of."

Franklin, Ky. is on Routes 31W and 100, located about 135 miles (216 kilometers) south of Louisville. (Email Form Report)

(Editor's Note: Franklin is famous in UFO history as the site where Capt. Thomas Mantell's F-51 fighter plane was shot down by a daylight disc in January 1948.)


On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 3:13 p.m., ufologist Christopher O'Brien, author of the books The Mysterious Valley and Enter the Valley, was in Sedona, Arizona (population 10,192) when he sighted an unidentified flying object.

"I was looking directly east, and I noticed a 30-to- 40-foot (9-to-12-meter) long egg-shaped object flying by," Chris reported, "It had no apparent wings or tail. It first caught my eye because of its motion and its lack of reflectivity. Conventional jet traffic was at 30,000 to 40,000 feet (900 to 1,200 meters) and leaving dissolving, spreading contrails all morning."

"The object was flat white and with its diffused sunshine it did not appear to be reflecting as much sunlight as I would expect. Based on the altitude of nearby clouds, it was flying at about 7,000 to 8,000 feet (2,100 to 2,400 meters) and over 4 to 5 miles (6 to 8 kilometers) away to the east at the closest point, above Oak Creek Canyon."

"It was silent. A slight breeze was moving out of the north, and I was able to hear a high-flying jet (35,000 to 40,000 feet in altitude--C.O'B.) to the south as it passed by a minute or so after the object disappeared to the north."

"It may have been a trick of the eye, but at times toward the end of the 30 seconds (of observation--J.T.), the object appeared to squirt forward and instantly resume its normal constant speed. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but it did it again and then a third time before I lost sight of it."

"I've been diligently skywatching since I moved here in late December (2004), and this was the first unexplained flying object I have seen since moving to Sedona, Ariz. There is a higher than normal amount of planes, hot-air balloons and choppers (helicopters--J.T.) flying over this part of the Mogollon Rim--aerial tour flights from the small regional Sedona Airport, and I've been wondering if this has contributed to the historically-high level per capita of UFO sightings in the Verde Valley/Sedona area. But after witnessing the above strange object, maybe not..."

Sedona is on Highway 179 approximately 27 miles (43 kilometers) south of Flagstaff, Arizona. (Many thanks to Chris O'Brien for this email report.)


"Some are calling it a 'miracle' and a 'sign from God.'"

"Parishoners of St. John Of God Church" in Somerset, Massachusetts (population 18,234) "say they see an image of the Virgin Mary and Jesus in the wood grain of a tabernacle at the church's altar."

"While the Roman Catholic faith has a belief in things that cannot be seen, seeing the image is causing quite a stir."

"'To me, it's a miracle to see something like that there,' said parishoner George Nicolan. 'But you can see it.'"

"The image was discovered on the tabernacle, which dates to 1928, by a parishoner who declined to use his name."

""I don't want to get anything out of this other than to help other people,' he said."

"The tabernacle now stands in the new St. John of God Church, dedicated in 1978. It was moved from the older structure after that church was deemed too small and outdated."

(Editor's Note: St. John of God was a dissolute nobleman who lived in the city of Granada in southern Spain in 1550. After his conversion, he devoted himself to the care of the sick and founded the Brothers Hospitallers order. His feast day is March 8, which, curiously, is when the apparition was first reported.)

"The man who discovered the image, a 54-year-old widower, said the image is a sign. He believes it appeared to him after struggling with the death of his wife in the year 2002."

"'It's all based on faith. For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice,' he said."

"When his wife was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor, the couple traveled on a pilgrimage to Medjugorje, a small village in Bosnia-Herzegovina. People throughout the world report seeing images of the Virgin Mary (birth name: Miriam bat-Joachim--J.T.) there and receiving messages."

"Upon returning from the pilgrimage, his wife died 60 days later. He prayed for her and dealt with his loss. One Sunday morning (March 6, 2005), he said he just 'looked up and saw this glorious image of our blessed mother and her son.'"

"Parishoner Maria Oliveira said, 'It's beautiful. Oh, my God. It means God is there.'"

"Eddie Ramos, who has been a parishoner at St. John of God Church for some 35 years, never noticed the image before. When it was pointed out to him, though, he said, 'I can really see it. It gave me a good feeling. It's a miracle. There's some sign of something there. I did feel something when I saw it. I felt comfortable.'"

The image, suggested by the wood-grain patterns, shows the face of a long-haired Jesus in the foreground and, behind him, the Virgin Mary wearing a veil, in profile facing the right.

Skeptics claim "it's just a random mixing of wood grains that means absolutely nothing."

"Father Raul Lagoa of St. John of God Church did not return a call for comment. Bishop George W. Coleman" of the Roman Catholic diocese in nearby Fall River, Mass. "was also not available."

"Another parishoner, Mary, who did not want to reveal her last name, said of the image: 'I don't know. You believe what you want.'"

"On Thursday," March 24, 2005, "various news agencies reported that an image of the Shroud of Turin formed on a cloth towel that a waitress at the Green Dragon Tavern in Boston tossed onto a linen basket. The tavern said it will not move the towel."

"Miracle of coincidence?"

Somerset, Mass. is on Route 138 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of Boston, the state capital. The town is also on the southern border of "the Bridgewater Triangle," midway between Rehoboth and Freetown. The "Bridgewater Triangle" is reknowned for its many instances of paranormal phenomena. (See the Taunton, Mass. Daily Gazette for March 27, 2005, "Somerset parishoners see religious images in church altar." Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: Back in the 1760s and 1770s, Boston's Green Dragon Tavern was the meeting place of St. John's Lodge of Masons and its more famous offshoot, the Sons of Liberty, which was organized by Dr. Joseph Warren, Master of the Lodge. Now, that's a first--an apparition of Jesus Christ at a Masonic lodge!)


A police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin "fatally shot a naked man on a city street early Tuesday," March 29, 2005, "after the man twisted his 5-year-old son's neck so badly the boy fell over, police said."

"The officer shot the 31-year-old man nine times in the torso as he tried to grab his children, Sgt. Ron Bartholomew said. The man's 14-month-old daughter and 3- year-old son were with him, also."

"The 5-year-old told officers his dad had an argument with his girlfriend, smoked marijuana, drank shampoo and poured water over his children before taking all three naked into the street, Bartholomew said."

"A driver called 911 after the man approached her car around 2:15 a.m. and asked for help, he said. The man was shaking and seemed agitated. The woman drove away and called police when he cursed at her and pounded on her car, Bartholomew said."

"Officers David Monson and Luke Hoffman saw the man and ordered him to stop, which he eventually did after yelling at the officers. He then put a pair of scissors to the baby's neck, Bartholomew said."

"Monson drew his gun. Hoffman drew his stun gun, and the man threw down the scissors and then fell on the baby, Bartholomew said. He got up and grabbed his 5-year-old son by the head and twisted his neck."

"'The boy went limp and fell to the side,' Bartholomew said."

"'He was continuing to be aggressive up until the last shot was fired,' he said."

"Police had the children in custody while officers tried to locate family members." The children "were hurt but did not have life-threatening injuries."

"Police did not immediately release the man's name. Bartholomew said the man was recently released from prison, but he had no other details."

"The 5-year-old told officers his father fed the 3- year-old pills, which he spit out when the father wasn't looking. He also took a knife and pressed it to the baby's stomach and punched the 5-year-old's face, Bartholomew said."

"John DeCicco, 33, who lives on the street where the shooting occurred, said he looked out a front window and saw officers yelling at somebody."

"'All I could hear was, 'Stop and drop it; stop, drop it,' he said."

"DeCicco said he opened the door, and by then the small group was a couple of houses away from him, and he saw somebody carrying a child."

"He heard five to six gunshots, and two older children who were in the immediate area bolted, he said."

Kenosha, Wis. (population 90,352) is on Highway 32, on the western shore of Lake Michigan, approximately 40 miles (64 kilometers) south of Milwaukee.

"Kenosha is one of those communities with a long history of paranormal phenomena," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "In 1936, a man named Mark Schackelman saw a pointy-eared, fur-covered biped crouched and digging in a graveyard just off Highway 18 near Kenosha. The creature looked like one of the ghouls described by H.P. Lovecraft in his story 'Pickman's Model.' In July 1964, there was a Bigfoot sighting, and, in 1968, 'a brown-haired, hairless-faced beast left three- toed, webbed tracks in the snow,' that were seen by 12 hunters."

"This appears to be the first 'occult crime' in Kenosha," Trainor added, "If any of our readers know of others, please drop us an email." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for March 30, 2005, "Police fatally shoot naked man," page 4B. Many thanks to Loren Coleman and Jay Rath, author of The W Files: True Reports of Wisconsin's Unexplained Phenomena, for the background material.)


"The alleged manifestations of spectres and ghosts are giving residents of Villa Los Salares," a village near Antofagasta in northern Chile, "the goosebumps. Nocturnal sounds, screams, cries, flying objects and even a child dressed in white have been a collective nightmare for area residents."

"According to the locals, all this is due to the fact that half of 100 people who lost their lives in the 1991 landslide lived in this village located on the south side of Antofagasta."

"Ricardo, one of the locals who refused to give his surname, says that 'at one time I was with my family and saw a cup that flew off the table and shattered against the window.'"

"Luis, who preferred to remain anonymous, told the story of the infamous child ghost."

"'A few weeks ago, I saw a little boy dressed in white, about four years old. He passed right through the gate without any effort, from the yard in front of my house to my neighbor's house. My oldest son also saw it. He told me that he felt chills, and, when he went to the window, the little boy was staring at him.'"

"Father Sergio Villalobos, the parish priest at San Francisco de Assis Church in Antofagasta, announced that he will visit several homes in Villa los Salares, where local residents claim having had several paranormal experiences and the apparition of ghosts 14 years after the landslide that buried half a hundred people."

Father Villalobos, "who has led the parish for five years, explained that he has had experiences in this subject and that the most important thing is to go with faith."

"'When I have been asked to intercede in homes where strange things occur, I go with faith and trust that everything will turn out all right. If one goes with faith, everything comes out in the end, because, in the end, it isn't me who is giving the blessing--it is God,' he said, 'If God wishes to bring peace to a home, and if there are people of peace in the home, peace and tranquillity will arrive.'"

"The priest acknowledged that there is a great awareness in Villa los Salares of the 1991 landslide. 'Many people died there, and who knows if everything that should have been found was indeed found,'" he added.

"Villalobos also made reference to the ghost of a child dressed in white who appears in the area, according to neighbors. 'If a landslide strikes me unaware, or a similar situation--if I die in my sleep--it's logical that I should be stuck here on Earth. As popular wisdom says, when there are those with something left undone, one tends to seek it out. I believe that's what this ghost is after, because all those who die are in need of prayers. We will never know if we are dying in peace or with debts.'" (See the newspaper Las Ultimas Noticias of Santiago de Chile for March 27, 2005, "Tales of ghosts follow Antofagasta landslide," and for March 29, 2005, "Priest to exorcise Villa los Salares ghosts." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez Orellana por estes articulos de diario.)


"A 15-year-old boy who had shown strong interest in the (1999) Columbine school shootings has been arrested for allegedly plotting to blow up his high school, authorities said Thursday," March 31, 2005.

"The student, a sophomore at Sweet Home High School in suburban Amherst, N.Y. (population 45,800) talked about his plan with other students who alerted school officials."

"'He stated an intent to blow up the school,' Erie County District Attorney Frank Clark said, 'He had purchased the gunpowder, he had primers, he had the pipes which had already been bored out, he had the ball bearings.'"

"A search of the boy's Town of Tonawanda (N.Y.) home also turned up bomb-making instructions and extensive materials about the 1999 shooting deaths of 13 people at Columbine High School in" Littleton, Colorado, "including downloaded autopsy reports on student shooters Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, crime scene photos and photos of the weapons."

"The boy wrote an essay for his English class earlier this year suggesting Klebold and Harris were rebelling against an oppressive atmosphere, authorities said."

"'Obviously, I'm concerned. I knew the student,' said Geoffrey Hicks, superintendent of the 3,900-student district, which drawns students from Tonawanda (population 16,136) and Amherst. He said the school immediately called police after being tipped off by a student and a parent."

"Hicks declined to characterize the boy, including whether he was popular or participated in school activities like sports."

"The student, whose name was witheld because of his age, told investigators that he was planning the attack for his senior year and that the intent was not to hurt anyone but to show police that they were inadequately protecting people."

"Clark said the boy's actions said otherwise."

"'He had all the makings of a bomb as of last week, and his professed intent not to do it for two years rings a little hollow,' the prosecutor said. As for not hurting anyone, 'it's a rather incongruous explanation,' he said."

"'It wasn't as though he had only talked about it,' Clark said, 'He had actually started to purchase materials and construct materials, so it was a little scary.'"

"Investigators said the boy, who was apparently acting alone, bought some gunpowder from a drug dealer and was negotiating to buy more, about two pounds in all."

"An Erie County Sheriff's Department explosives expert said the amount would be enough for four 'good- sized' pipe bombs capable of spewing fragments and ball bearings into" people nearby.

The suspect "was charged in Family Court as a juvenile and is not eligible for prosecution as an adult, Clark said. He could face up to a year in a residential treatment center if found guilty."

"Hicks said a letter has been sent to parents informing them of the arrest and a meeting is planned for Wednesday," April 6, 2005, "to answer parents' questions. Students and faculty will be told of the situation upon returning to school Monday," April 4, 2005, the superintendent said.

"'The message will be that we have a safe school, that the information was acted upon immediately,' Hicks said."

"In a letter to parents, Hicks said the boy would not attend Sweet Home High School 'for the foreseeable future.'"

"'He is a troubled young man who will get the help he needs,' the letter said."

Amherst, N.Y. is on Route 324, about 7 miles (11 kilometers) northeast of Buffalo, N.Y. (See Newsday for March 31, 2005, "Student arrested in bomb plot." Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this newspaper article.)


"As many as 20 teenagers may have known ahead of time about plans for the shooting spree that resulted in the deaths of 10 people on the Red Lake Indian Reservation" in northern Minnesota, "tribal and federal officials said Friday," April 1, 2005.

"Capt. Dewayne Dow of the tribal police told a group of parents, teachers and staff at a three-hour School Board meeting that authorities believe as many as 20 students were involved."

"One law enforcement official said the FBI believes that as many as four students--including gunman Jeff Weise and Louis Jourdain, a classmate arrested Sunday," March 27, 2005--"were directly involved in planning an attack on Red Lake High School, while well over a dozen others may have heard about the plot."

"The teenage son of Red Lake Nation tribal chairman Floyd "Buck" Jourdain Jr. has been arrested on federal charges stemming from last week's deadly school shooting on the Red Lake Indian Reservation."

"Louis Jourdain, 15, a student at Red Lake Senior High School--where Jeff Weise fatally shot five students, a teacher and a security guard before killing himself (Monday) March 21 (2005)--was taken into custody Sunday evening, according to sources with knowledge of the arrest."

"One of the sources, who spoke on condition his name not be used, said Jourdain and Weise exchanged emails that discussed Weise's intent to go on a shooting rampage at the school. Three other teenagers who were in email contact with Weise also have been questioned and could face charges."

"There was increased security around the federal courthouse" on 2nd Street West in Duluth, Minnesota (population 86,918), "with Duluth police officers stationed near the building's entrances. Deputy Duluth police chief Jim Wright declined to comment on the increased police presence."

"During most hearings, the wooden doors of U.S. District Courtroom No. 3 are left open. But a marshal closed to door for Monday's hearing."

"The teen's hands were handcuffed behind his back and he was escorted in and out of the courtroom by seven law enforcement officers, including FBI special agents and U.S. marshals."

Present for the court session were U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger, "whose office would prosecute any case arising from the shootings," FBI Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Michael Tabman and FBI Special Agent Debbie Decker. Agent "Decker declined to comment after the hearing, referring all questions to the FBI in Minneapolis."

Jourdain, in handcuffs and wearing a black "hoodie" zip-up sweatshirt with a large red spider on the front, appeared in Duluth's federal courthouse again on Tuesday, March 29, 2005. "The second hearing lasted 90 minutes before U.S. Magistrate Raymond Erickson. It was closed to the public because Jourdain is a juvenile."

"The handcuffed teenager had a blank look as he was ushed out of the courtroom by U.S. marshals. His father followed closely."

"'I have no comment,' the elder Jourdain told reporters outside the courtroom."

According to U.S. Attorney Heffelfinger, FBI "investigators have interviewed more than 300 people in connection with the shootings. The alleged emails between Weise and Jourdain were reportedly discovered during a forensic 'autopsy' of Weise's home computer at the Red Lake home of his grandmother," in the Back of Town section of Red Lake, Minn. (population 1,430).

Investigators have learned that the shooter, Jeff Weise, and Louis Jourdain are cousins. Weise's grandmother is Jourdain's aunt.

"Louis Jourdain was one of a small group of Goths at Red Lake High School. He sometimes dyed his shoulder- length hair dark blue or dark green and had been friends with Jeff Weise since sixth grade."

"Jourdain, Weise and several other friends spent a lot of time together in high school as their interest in Goth culture developed, other Red Lake students said Tuesday."

"'They're all pretty gothic, all in black,' said Bryan Stately, 18."

On Wednesday, March 30, 2005, "word spread around the reservation that the FBI siezed the computers of several boys."

"Members of the Goth group referred to themselves as 'Darkers' and wore black clothing and chains. Jourdain often more black T-shirts featuring bands such as Slipknot and favored a big black zip-up sweatshirt."

"Before he joined the Goth group, Jourdain was an outgoing, sometimes boisterous boy, Stately said."

"'Louis was an average kid before that,' he said, 'He wore colors.'"

"Gordon Lee Norris, 18, among a group of Red Lake High students playing pickup basketball games Tuesday on an outdoor court, said Louis Jourdain 'was just another loner, another Goth, I guess. He would only talk to other dark-clothes members...He was everyday Goth."

"As federal authorities continued their investigation Wednesday, they were trying to confirm details of links between Weise, Jourdain and other youths. Sources with knowledge of the investigation said Wednesday that while other youths may have had some sort of knowledge about the plans, they weren't active participants and probably will not face charges."

"These sources have said Weise and Jourdain discussed who should be shot. They discussed shooting Weise's grandfather, tribal policeman (Sgt.) Daryl "Dash" Lussier Sr., 58, and his female companion, Michelle Sigana, 32, were the first two people Weise is believed to have killed before going to the school."

"Some of Weise's movements were caught on the school's surveillance camera. In email exchanges between Weise and Jourdain, the two allegedly discussed the placement of the cameras. Their aim was not to avoid being filmed, but rather to make sure the cameras captured the shooting spree, said one source, who spoke on the condition that his name not be used."

UFO Roundup has learned that two other teens are being sought in connection with the shootings--a boy and a girl, aged 15 or 16, whom Weise referred to by their nicknames "Mac" and "Rose" in one of his emails.

In his May 13, 2004 email, Weise "described how there had been a threat of violence at his school last April (2004) and he had been a suspect."

"'Apparently, someone was supposed to shoot up the school on 4/20 (April 20, 2004--J.T.) and there was a lot of buzz around me, and for good reasons, I guess,' he wrote, 'I wear combat boots (with my pants legs tucked into them--J.W.), wear a trench coat and, at the last basketball game, my friend Mac...did a 'Sieg Heil' during the national anthem (for shock value--J.W.) so they had us pegged as 'Trench Coat Mafia.' My 'friend' Rose even said that I fit the profile of a school shooter that she saw on 60 Minutes.'"

On Saturday, April 2, 2005, "FBI agents siezed 30 to 40 computers from the high school computer laboratory today in order to perform forensic analysis on the machines, FBI and school officials said. Investigators hope to learn more from the school computers, because much of the alleged discussion and planning among Weise and his friends occurred through emails and instant messages, the law enforcement official said."

The emotional strain of the shootings and their aftermath are taking a toll on the residents of the reservation. Teenagers dressed as Goths are being singled out for attention.

"'I've been getting strange looks,' said Cartera Hart, 16, as she left a grocery store on the reservation. Hart, who was dressed in black and wore a hoop through her lip, said she hangs out in a group of about a dozen students who were friends with Weise and Jourdain, who is the tribal chairman's son."

"Her friend, Alyssa Roy, 15, said, 'There's going to be more and more people tormenting us and thinking we're involved.'"

"Some people said they were on edge as FBI agents showed up at people's houses, and teenagers were being taken to the detention center for hours of questioning." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for March 29, 2005, "Police arrest teenager," pages 1A and "Arrest: Three teenagers questioned," page 4A; for March 30, 2005, "Wider plot suspected," page 1A, "Students say Louis Jourdain was close to Jeff Weise, but some say they're shocked by arrest," pages 1A and 4A, "Investigation: Son of chairman has been charged" and "Tribal chairman says his son is innocent," page 4A; for March 31, 2005, "Deputy recounts scene of shooting," pages 1A and 6A; and for April 2, 2005, "Authorities say more teens knew about plot," page 1A and "Red Lake: FBI agents sieze school computers," page 8A.)


"I've got a big-bore pistol"
"With a steel J-frame."
"I've got a .12-gauge shotgun"
"That can do the same."
"I'm drinking TNT."
"I'm smoking dynamite."
"And I'll be looking for fun"
"Come Saturday night."**
(**With apologies to Muddy Waters--J.T.)

The shootings at Red Lake High School in northern Minnesota, coupled with those at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado (population 40,340), are putting a spotlight on a strange offshoot of the Goth movement. The possible involvement of other teens in what was originally thought to be the work of a "lone gunman," Jeff Weise, 15, of Red Lake, Minn., suggests that the "Trench Coat Mafia" didn't die at Columbine six years ago.

Dark or black clothes, an interest in firearms and filmmaking, and admiration for Columbine shooters Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris appear to be the hallmarks of the new "Darkers," as the group at Red Lake High School called themselves. Unlike the mainstream Goths, this crew is fascinated with violence.

And the evidence suggests that they are not alone.

The bomb plot at Sweet Home High School in Amherst, N.Y. (see the news story elsewhere in this issue--J.T.) was just the first of the "copycats" to surface. The plot was exposed on Wednesday, March 23, 2005--two days after the Red Lake shootings--and the suspect reportedly said he'd been partly inspired by what happened in northern Minnesota.

Fortean researcher Loren Coleman predicted that there may be more Columbine-style incidents in the near future, stirred by "the Copycat Effect," particularly during the months of March and April.

Indeed, the copycats are already coming out of the woodwork.

In Woodland Park, Colorado (population 6,515), "after two weeks of rumored hit lists and possible school shootings, police decided to patrol Woodland Park High School to ease the minds of students."

"Three students have been arrested in recent weeks at Woodland Park High School. The ensuing rumors, coupled with the recent school shootings in Minnesota, have put students on edge."

"Police Chief Robert Larson says a rumored hit list never existed and no one has ever had plans of carrying out a school shooting."

"Still, the police felt it necessary to have a presence at the school."

"The rumors began flying after a 14-year-old boy was arrested after shooting out a car window with a BB gun in early March (2005)."

"Another student was arrested later in connection with a fight, and rumors spread about a hit list of students who talked to police."

"Then a 15-year-old girl was arrested for stealing a gun from her parents."

Woodland Park is on Highway 24 about 25 miles (40 kilometers) northwest of Colorado Springs.

In Embarrass, Minnesota (population 300), located about 100 miles (160 kilometers) east of the Red Lake Indian Reservation, "a seventh grade student who allegedly threatened to kill classmates at Babbitt-Embarrass School will not return."

"'That student will not be returning back to the Babbitt-Embarrass School for the remainder of the school year,' Principal Steve Reznicek said."

"The student allegedly made the threatening comments to other students (Tuesday) March 22 (2005) on the heels of the shootings at Red Lake school."

"School officials met with the student and his mother, stepfather and grandparents Tuesday," March 29, 2005, "the first time the student had returned to the school since the alleged threats."

"'The comments made by the young man were made out of anger as a result of his being bullied,' said Sidney Simonson, assistant superintendent for St. Louis County schools."

"Simonson said the student will be provided 'an alternative education outside the Babbitt school setting' and said he assured parents who witheld children from school Tuesday that students could safely return to class."

"'The student will not be in or around school grounds,' Simonson said, 'I don't believe that he is a threat to them, and there will be no retaliation.'"

"But at least one parent, Connie Opdycke, is unhappy with school officials over their handling of the student, who she said exhibited 'big time' belligerent behavior toward other students immediately after he enrolled at the school in December."

"'This kid came to the school with an attitude and started being a bully to other children, and they retaliated,' Opdycke said."

"Opdycke said school officials had plenty of evidence that the student was trouble and failed to act before Tuesday's alleged threats."

"Opdycke said she planned to press charges against the student today over an incident in mid-February (2005) involving her daughter, a seventh-grader who was then 12."

"'He grabbed my daughter's breast. He punched her in the breast,' Opdycke said."

"Opdycke said she brought the accusation to the attention of a school official, and that it was just one of a string of inappropriate acts that signalled a serious problem."

"'I'm not trying to hurt this kid, but he needs help,' Opdycke said, 'My child has been hurt enough.'"

"Opdycke withheld her daughter from school Tuesday and estimated that 30 to 40 percent of parents followed suit."

Two days in April are "red-letter days" to members and sympathizers of the Trench Coat Mafia. The first is Tuesday, April 19, 2005. This will be the tenth anniversary of the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Until September 11, 2001, this was the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil. Timothy J. McVeigh set off a truck bomb in front of the multi-story office building that killed 168 people.

(Editor's Note: McVeigh was born in Lockport, N.Y., not far from the Sweet Hope High School bomber's hometown of Tonawanda. That's an eerie coincidence.)

April 19 is also Patriot's Day, the anniversary of the battles of Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, the opening shots of the War of the American Revolution.
And it was the day in 1943 when Mordecai Anielewicz launched the Warsaw ghetto uprising.

The following day, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, will be the 116th anniversary of the birth of Adolf Hitler, the Nazi dictator revered by Columbine shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold and Red Lake shooter Jeff Weise

It is also the sixth anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings in 1999.

Finally, it is the anniversary of Al-Hajira (Arabic for The Flight --J.T.), the escape of the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him--J.T.) from Mecca to Yathrib (now Medina) in Saudi Arabia. And it's the birthday of Iraqi sorcerer Abdul Majid al-Hazrad (640-738 A.D.), author of Kitab al-Azif, the book of elder magick that eventually became the Necronomicon.

"That might be a good week for school administrators to keep their eyes and ears open," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor cautioned, "The jury is still out on 'the Copycat Effect.' But why take chances?" (See the KKTV of Pueblo, Colorado news broadcast for March 30, 2005, "High School Threats," and the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for March 30, 2005, "Babbitt-Embarrass student accused of making threat," page 4A.)


"Against a backdrop of Old West shootouts and vigilante justice symbols, more than 100 volunteers arrived Friday," April 1, 2005 in Tombstone, Arizona (population 1,504) "to join or support citizen patrols of Arizona's borders with Mexico, condemning the Bush administration for allowing an 'invasion' of illegal immigrants."

(Editor's Note: Tombstone was famous in the history of the USA's Old West as "the town too tough to die." In October 1881, it became the site of the most famous duel in American history--the Gunfight at the OK Corral--in which Wyatt Earp and his brothers, Virgil and Morgan Earp, and their friend, Dr. John W. "Doc" Holliday, took on the family of Joseph Isaac "Ike" Clanton. The Earps won. One of these days, we'll have to do a feature on Doc Holliday, truly the strange story of a promising young scientist and how he became the deadlist assassin in the USA.)

"Many participants, traveling from several states, said they would set up observation posts on the border starting Monday," April 4, 2005, "and would stay throughout April to scout for illegal immigrants and their smugglers. They said they would use cell phones to alert the Border Patrol."

"At least several volunteers were carrying sidearms Friday (which, by the way, is legal in Arizona--J.T.) and indicated they would carry the weapons during their patrols, organized by the Minuteman Project, a recently formed group that opposes illegal immigration."

"Organizers estimated Friday's turnout at 400 people, though a head count showed 100 to 150 at most; 1,300 had registered on the Minuteman Project's Web site. Organizers explained the discrepancy by saying scores of the participants shunned the national media coverage and opted to sit out the kickoff."

"Still, Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist, a retired accountant from Orange County, California and several supporting Republican lawmakers found an energized core of volunteers who cheered in a frontier-era hall during speeches that denounced the 'failed' border policies of President (Geroge W.) Bush."

"Though Bush has characterized the volunteers as vigilantes, group leaders and lawmakers called them 'patriots.' But the Minuteman Project organizers reminded participants not to break the law while scouring the border area for illegal crossers. The group will also hold rallies this weekend on the border."

"'You are American heroes,' Rep. Tom Tancredo (Republican of Colorado), chairman of the Congressional Immigration Reform Caucus, told an assembly of about 100 volunteers, mostly white men age 40 and over, 'You are not vigilantes.'"

"Chris Simcox, owner of the Tombstone Tumbleweed and a chief Minuteman organizer, said the nation was watching."

"'Hold the line, but hold your ideals up before your personal gratification,' Simcox said, 'It would be hypocritical of us to go out and break the laws that we are asking the government to enforce.'"

"While leaders and participants said they welcome this week's federal announcement of additional Border Patrol agents and surveillance aircraft in Arizona, they said they believe the measures aren't enough and seemed to be a White House effort to upstage their grass-roots movement."

"The Minuteman registration drew a protest by about 35 advocates of human and migrant rights. They staged a raucous dance in the tradition of the Mexican indigenous people outside the 19th Century Schieffelin Hall, where the Minutemen were meeting, a block from the OK Corral tourist attraction."

"Accompanies by drummers, a man in a loincloth with long, gray hair led a dance line of five young Hispanic women in Aztec costumes and feathered headdresses."

"'The solution is not the paramilitary groups. The solution is respect for human rights and finding another economic order that will eliminate poverty,' said Arturo Mireles, 65, leader of the Danza Azteca Cuahuatemoc group from Nogales, Arizona."

"Minuteman Al Phillips, who was carrying a .357 revolver on his belt, said he would be armed while on patrols. Phillips, 54, of Maryville, Tennessee (population 15,942), said he has no intention of using the gun."

"'It's my right,' said Phillips, who worked in the Michigan Department of Corrections for 27 years. 'All the people making a big deal out of this, it's nothing. The only time I would take it out is if my life or another person's is in danger.'"

"Critics contend the project may attract anti- immigrant racists and vigilantes looking to confront illegal immigrants. At least one white supremacist group has mentioned the project on its Web site."

"'They are domestic terrorists that represent a danger to the country and could promote a major border conflict that will have serious ramifications and consequences,' said Armando Navarro, a University of California-Riverside political science professor and coordinator of the National Alliance for Human Rights, made up mostly of Hispanic activists."

"Michael Nicley, chief of the U.S. Border Patrol's Tucson (Arizona) sector, said the volunteers are 'not the kind of help the Border Patrol is asking for.'"

"Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever said he fears immigrant smugglers (known as coyotes on the Border--J.T.) might open fire on the volunteers."

"'I wouldn't anticipate that people of that persuasion would act or react any differently to anybody, citizen or law enforcement alike, if they were confronted and felt like their cargo was in jeapordy."

"On Wednesday," March 30, 2005, "the Homeland Security Department announced that it is assigning 534 additional agents to the porous Arizona border to help keep out potential terrorists and illegal immigrants."

"The 370-mile (592-kilometer) Arizona border is considered the most vulnerable stretch of the 2,000-mile (3,200-kilometer) southern (USA) border. Of the 1.1 million illegal immigrants caught by the Border Patrol last year (2004), 51 percent crossed into the country at the Arizona border."

Still, "other Minuteman critics and skeptics-- including the Tucson-based Border Action Network, the American Civil Liberties Union and the Intelligence Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center--contend the project may attract anti-immigration racists bent on violent confrontation."

"'We think there's a real danger of something bad occurring,' said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project, which monitors hate groups. 'People around the country, on white supremacist and neo-Nazi Web sites, are talking about going down there.'"

"But Minuteman founder Jim Gilchrist, 56, an ex- Marine from Aliso Viejo, California, insists his members will be peaceful and unarmed. 'This is not about race. It's about enforcement of the law,' he said."

"Gilchrist said he objects to 'the notion that we're a bunch of baby-killing, bloodthirsty war machines.' He called his group 'a bunch of predominantly white Martin Luther Kings, going down there with his model (of non- violence) and the New York City Guardian Angels' model of vigilance.'"

"Gilchrist said participants are restricted to identifying and observing illegal border-crossers and alerting the Border Patrol. Simcox said volunteers, who range from doctors, lawyers and former police officers to 'senior citizens in lawn chairs,' will arm themselves with camcorders, binoculars and cell phones--not firearms."

"'We're doing exactly what the president and the Department of Homeland Security have asked all Americans to do since Sept. 11 (2001),' he said."

"'We're not anti-immigrant. There's a legal way to come into this country. What we have are people by the thousands slipping under the fence.'" (See the Chicago Tribune for April 2, 2005, "Group set to patrol crossings at border," section 1, page 9; USA Today for April 1, 2005, "Border patrols growing in Arizona," page 3A; and the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for March 31, 2005, "Some fear bloodshed when armed volunteers patrol Mexican border," page 9A.)


"A major earthquake struck late Monday," March 28, 2004, "off the west coast of Indonesia, killing hundreds and panicking millions in Indian Ocean countries still reeling from the massive December 26 (2004) tsunami."

"Fears of another catastrophe on the scale of December's devastating tsunami eased within hours as officials in countries closest to the quake's epicenter said there were no reports of walls of water striking their coasts after the temblor was reported."

"The U.S. Geological Survey said Monday's quake, which occurred at 11:09 p.m. local (Indonesian) time, measured a magnitude of 8.2" on the Richter scale. "A later reading put the magnitude at 8.7, said Paul Earle, a USGS geophysicist."

"The quake was centered 125 miles (208 kilometers) west-northwest of Sibolga, Sumatra (island), and 150 miles (250 kilometers) southwest of Medan, Sumatra, the USGS said."

"Early reports of damage and casualties were confined mainly to the island of Nias, off the Sumatran coast, close to the quake's epicenter."

"The quake collapsed about 70 percent of houses and buildings in the town of Gunungsitoli, said police Sgt. Zulkifli Sirait."

"Agus Mendrofa, deputy district head on Nias Island, told el-Shinta radio station that 296 people were killed. He said this figure was based on (first) reports from humanitarian workers on the island."

"In Banda Aceh," on the northern tip of Sumatra, the "city hit hardest in December, Monday's quake spread panic as it briefly cut electricity."

"Thousands were awakened and poured into the streets."

"The quake lasted about two minutes and felt like the gentle swaying of a rocking chair."

"People grabbed small bags of clothes as they fled tents and homes. Many were crying and jumping into cars and onto motorbikes and pedicabs to head for higher ground."

"'People are still traumatized, still scared, they are running for higher ground,' said Feri, a 24-year-old aid volunteer who goes by one name."

"The quake was felt as far away as Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, more than 435 miles (696 kilometers) from the epicenter. Sri Lanka's government urged people to evacuate to higher ground and suspended night trains along the coast."

UFO Roundup's correspondent in the region, "the Wild Man of Borneo," said he felt the tremor at his home near Palangkaraya.

"I was outside, Saucer Dude, standing in our sheet- metal shower when the tremor hit. First the metal plates began rattling, and I wondered if the stall was falling apart on me. Then the bamboo floor began moving, and I thought, Awwww, shit! Not again! It kept on for a couple of minutes. That's when I knew it was a bad one. You know what was really awesome? Watching the water come out of the shower nozzle. The water was zigzagging from side to side. But not for long. The pipe broke after twenty seconds, and that was the end of my shower. People came running up from the kampong (village--J.T.), shouting. I grabbed the towel and wrapped it around me. Didn't want to excite my neighbors any more than they already were."

"Later, after I dried off, I got my SONY ICF-4290 pocket radio and cruised the short-wave band. I picked up Radio el-Shinta. Another big quake in western Sumatra. It'll make you a real believer in Earth changes, dude."

"Almost all the deaths reported in the hours after Monday's earthquake were on Nias Island, off Sumatra's west coast, close to the epicenter."

"The MISNA missionary news service in Rome reported that a huge fire was raging early Tuesday," March 29, 2004, "in Gunungsitoli."

Father Raymond Laia, a Roman Catholic missionary on Nias, reported by telephone, "From the window, I can see very high flames. The town is completely destroyed. I repeat, the town is completely destroyed."

Officer Naing Golan, a policeman in Gunungsitoli, said, "The situation here is really messy. After-shocks keep hitting every half hour, making thousands of people flee their homes and afraid to go home."

"In Banda Aceh, Sumatra's largest city, the shaking and swaying was gentle but lasted a full two minutes--far longer than most of the frequent aftershocks since the major (December 26, 2004) tsunami, which killed more than 126,000 people in Aceh province and left more than 400,000 homeless."

"Then, there was little warning of the tsunami that followed the earthquake. This time, people were taking no chances."

"Thousands poured into the streets, where flickering campfires and motorbike and car headlights provided the only lighting after electricity was severed by the earthquake."

"The quake was felt in Singapore and the Thai capital, Bangkok."

"'I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking,' said Jessie Chong, a resident of Malaysia's largest city, Kuala Lumpur. 'I thought I was hallucinating at first, but then I heard my neighbors screaming and running out.'"

The quake did trigger a small tsnumai in the Cocos Islands, which are owned by Australia, located 800 kilometers (500 miles) south of Sumatra.

"About 13 aftershocks, ranging from 5.0 to 6.1 magnitude" on the Richter scale, "shook the (Nias) island in the aftermath of the quake."

"Helicopters evacuated 17 critically-wounded survivors to the main island of Sumatra for treatment of head or chest injuries or internal bleeding."

"The earthquake came along the same fault line as the massive magnitude-9.0 quake Dec. 26 that sent the tsunami crashing into 11 countries around the Indian Ocean." Monday's "quake triggered panic in coastal communities from Indonesia to Thailand to Sri Lanka."

"The International Organization for Migration said it was sending trucks loaded with water, milk and other food items and medical supplies to the port town of Sibolga," on Sumatra, "where they will be ferried to Nias."

"The (Indonesian) army and navy are mobilizing to help,' said presidential adviser Tahi Bonar Silalahi." (See USA Today for March 30, 2005, "Quake panics tsunami area," page 1A, and "Tsunami warning panics many in Indonesia," page 8A; and for March 31, 2005, "Many killed on island missed by Dec. quake," page 7A. Many thanks to Achmed Zabidin and "the Wild Man of Borneo, Sarawak's favorite party animal" for their reports.)


"St. Patrick's Day (Thursday, March 17, 2005) was supposed to be just another day of routine training for underwater researchers at the University of Hawaii. But they found something extraordinary 870 meters (2,871 feet) down, off Barbers Point," on the southern shore of Oahu, one of the eight islands of the USA's state of Hawaii--"a mammoth World War II-era Japanese sub meant for biological combat."

"The submarine is from the I-400 Sensuikan Joku class of subs, the largest (ever) built before the nuclear ballistic missile submarines of the 1960s. They are 400 feet (120 meters) long and could carry a crew of 144. The submarine were constructed to carry three fold-up bombers that could be quickly assembled."

"The I-400 and I-401 were captured at sea one week after Japan surrendered in 1945 (i.e. about August 22, 1945--J.T.) Their mission, which was never completed, reportedly was to use the fold-up aircraft to drop rats and insects infected with bubonic plague, cholera, typhus and other diseases on U.S. cities" along the Pacific coast.

"When the bacteriological bombs could not be prepared in time, the (sub's) mission reportedly was changed to bomb the Panama Canal. Both submarines were ordered to sail to Pearl Harbor and were deliberately sunk later, partly because Russian scientists were demanding access to them."

"'It is not the first World War II-era 'monster' sub that the HURL (Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory--J.T.) scientists have found. Last year (2004), off Pearl Harbor, they located the remains of the giant seaplane Marshall Mars, one of the largest aircraft ever built and used as a transport plane by the U.S. Navy. Ten years earlier, in the same area, the HURL crew also found the wreckage of a Japanese midget submarine that was sunk on December 7, 1941," immediately prior to the Japanese air attack on Pearl Harbor. (See the Honolulu Star-Bulletin for March 18, 2005, "WWII plague sub found." Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: More proof--if proof were needed--that the great war of 60 years ago did not end quite the way Zionist historians claim it did.)


In addition to being April Fool's Day, Friday, April 1, 2005 was the anniversary of the strangest tornado that ever touched down in Wisconsin.

It happened on April 1, 1987 in Whitefish Bay, Wis. (population 14,000), a port on Lake Michigan about five miles (8 kilometers) northeast of Milwaukee.

"Mother Nature fooled some residents in Wisconsin on this day in 1987 by producing a tornado during a snow storm."

"The vortex occurred in Whitefish Bay on Lake Michigan during a snow squall. A mobile home lost its roof and insulation was sucked from the walls. This is an extremely rare event, because severe weather usually requires warm moist air combined with a high degree of atmospheric instability" for the funnel to form.

On Friday, April 1, 2005, in Kokomo, Indiana (population 46,133), "a photo and film exhibit marking the 40th anniversary of the deadly Palm Sunday tornadoes of 1965" opened at "the Sieberling Museum. Visitors will hear an audio recording of one tornado hitting the Alto Methodist Church in Kokomo."

"Eleven tornadoes struck 20 Indiana counties on (Sunday) April 11, 1965, killing 137 people. The exhibit will run through July 1, 2005." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for April 1, 2005, "Today's Weather Fact," page 8B, and USA Today for April 1, 2005, "Around the USA: Indiana," page 10A.)


A second letter has been received from Ernst Zundel, "the outcast ufologist," who is currently imprisoned in Mannheim while the German government tries to determine if his Web site violates their "hate-crime" laws.

Zundel, 65, arrived in Germany in early March after spending two years as a special "national security" prisoner in Canada. He is the author of two books on UFOs and the Antarctic Reich, Secret Nazi Polar Expeditions (1978) and Hitler at the South Pole (1979). His enemies charge that his Zundelsite publishes material challenging the claims of Holocaust victims.

"Here is my dilemna," Zundel wrote in his second letter, "In a month, I am allowed only two 30-minute visitors (up to three can come into the room--E.Z.). No gifts, no money, nothing can be given to me and vice versa. An official listener, a person in uniform, sits within one to two meters and listens to all, interrupts with suggestions, advises in a jovial, civilized way--but it gives you an idea of the absurdity of my situation."

Zundel is now working on a new book. "I have already used up to three ballpoint pens, which last exactly between 40 to 45 pages, but they cost only 35 cents. I have bought ten ballpoint pens. We are allowed to shop in a kind of self-serve store at the prison for our personal needs every two weeks."

Commenting on prison cuisine, Zundel added, "There is only one meal a day--at noon. Then, at night, there are about five pieces of dark or rye bread--boy, do I love and cherish that German bread--and two slices of cheese or sausage. That has to last for the evening meal and the next morning's breakfast."

"We make our own tea or coffee, in a one-liter stainless steel tea/coffee pot using an electric immersion heater, which I had to buy for E9.95 (Euros--J.T.) The coffee we have to buy at the prison store."

"The food is very German--Hallelujah! Like my mother's cooking--better quality and larger quantities than in Canada. The (food) portions in the USA were criminally small. Imagine that! The U.S. prisoners were always hungry--it was a constant refrain. And the food was of no nutritional value, things like supersweet cereals, corn flakes, hot dogs and hamburgers half the size of MacDonald's. So definitely this is an improvement. A vast improvement!"

"I could rent or buy a color TV. There are provisions for it in my cell. Udo Walendy offered to cover the cost. I could barely believe his generosity (but) I gratefully declined. I have gotten used to my Martin- Luther-at-the-Wartburg-like existence of blissful solitude."

Unlike Toronto's Metro West Detention Center, where he was a prisoner for two years, Zundel is "also allowed one hour each morning in the large prison yard" at Mannheim "together with the other prisoners--not alone in a 15 by 20 meter enclosure for ten minutes, observed by three uniformed guards like in Canada."

Although a member of no organized religion, Zundel has attended both Protestant and Roman Catholic services at the prison, mostly out of curiosity.

Recently he watched a screening of Mel Gibson's film, The Passion of the Christ, which he didn't like, referring to it as "a Middle Eastern fairy tale." He also reported that, during the screening, Polish and Romanian prisoners nearly rioted, shouting curses and throwing objects at the screen, whenever Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest, appeared.

"Here's a man who was living in the USA as a legal resident alien, when he was arrested at his home in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for missing an appointment with the Immigration and Naturalization Service," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "He was deported to Canada, imprisoned for two years for reasons the Canadian government has never revealed, and now he's been deported again, this time to Germany. By my calculation, Mr. Zundel has served 25 months in prison for no crime whatsoever. Missing an appointment with the INS is not even a misdemeanor. This travesty of justice should cease, and Mr. Zundel should be allowed to return to the USA and be reunited with his family." (Many thanks to Ingrid Rimland-Zundel for sharing a copy of her husband's second letter.)

[UFOINFO Comment: I would strongly recommend readers do a search for "Ernst Zundel" on Google and visit The Nizkor Project and read some of the entries. Also look at The Nizkor Project home page to see exactly what it is all about.]

From the UFO Files...


The Gunfight at the OK Corral isn't the only famous event in the history of Tombstone, Arizona. The "town too tough to die" emblazoned its name in the annals of Forteana, as well.

In April 1890, two cowboys encountered "a large but exhausted pterodactyl in the Arizona desert. After a brief chase, they shot and killed the creature, whose wingspan proved to be 160 feet (48 meters)."

Here is the actual news story as it appeared in the Tombstone Epitaph of April 26, 1890:


A Strange Winged Monster Discovered
and Killed on the Huachuca Desert

"A winged monster, resembling a huge alligator with an extremely elongated tail and an immense pair of wings, was found on the desert between the Whetstone and Huachuca Mountains last Sunday," April 20, 1890, "by two ranchers who were returning home from the Huachucas."

"The creature was evidently greatly exhausted by a long flight and when discovered was able to fly but a short distance at a time."

"After the shock of wild amazement had passed, the two men, who were on horseback and armed with Winchester rifles, regained sufficient courage to pursue the monster and, after an exciting chase of several miles, succeeded in getting near enough to open fire with the rifles and wounding it."

"The creature then turned on the men but, owing to its exhausted condition, they were able to keep out of its way and, after a few well-directed shots, the monster partly rolled over and remained motionless."

"The men cautiously approached, their horses snorting with terror, and found that the creature was dead. They then proceeded to make an examination and found that it measured about ninety-two feet (27.6 meters) in length and the greatest diameter was about fifty inches (1.25 meters). The monster had only two feet, these being situated a short distance in front of where the wings were joined to the body."

"The head, as near as they could judge, was about eight feet (2.4 meters) long, the jaws being thickly set with strong, sharp teeth. Its eyes were as large as a dinner plate and they protuded about halfway from the head. They had some difficulty in measuring the wings as they were partly folded under the body, but finally got one straightened out sufficiently to get a measurement of seventy-eight feet, making the total length from tip to tip about 160 feet (48 meters)."

"The wings were composed of a thick and nearly transparent membrane and were devoid of feathers or hair, as was the entire body. The skin of the body was comparatively smooth and easily penetrated by a bullet."

"The men cut off a small portion of the tip of one wing and took it home with them. Late last night (Friday, April 25, 1890) one of them arrived in this city (Tombstone) for supplies and to make the necessary preparations to skin the creature, when the hide will be sent east for examination by the eminent scientists of the day."

"The finder appeared early this morning, accompanied by several prominent men who will endeavor to bring the strange creature to this city before it is mutilated."

There was no follow-up story in the Epitaph, and the "winged alligator of the Huachuca Mountains" was gradually forgotten. But not by everyone. The story stuck with Harry McClure.

Harry was a boy living on a ranch in Lordsburg, New Mexico when he heard the original story. And he met the two cowpokes when they came to town.

"When the Epitaph story was published again in 1969, Harry McClure chose to tell his version of the story to the Summer 1970 issue of Old West Magazine. McClure saw the cowboys and had friends who knew them personally, and said that he and other people who resided there did not think the story was a hoax."

So, what really happened out there in the Huachucas?

Flash back 65 million years to the Jurassic Period...

A male pterodactyl with a 160-foot (48-meter) wingspan soars over the tropical rain forest that will someday become southeastern Arizona. His stomach is rumbling, and he's looking for his midday meal.

Suddenly, he sees a gleaming silver disc hovering above a grove of Lepidodendra trees. Tilting his wings, he lets out a fearsome hiss and dives to the attack. The aliens aboard the saucer see him coming. They've dealt with Earth's savage dinosaurs before. Buttons on a console are pushed. Instantly a protective bubble--a shimmering bluish-white sphere of energy--envelops the UFO.

The pterodactyl plunges into the luminous Xendra (pronounced Shenn-drah --J.T.)...and vanishes.

Sixty-five million years later, on April 20, 1890, a starburst of intense white light flashes in the blue Arizona sky. Displaced air creates a noisy thunderclap. The disoriented pterodactyl tumbles through the air. Then he instinctively recovers and soars through what to him is an alien sky. No thick cloudy gray overcast. No wisps of fog rising from the swamps. Looking down, he sees the rain forest gone, replaced by slickrock canyons, rugged arroyos and sparse, weird-looking vegetation--catclaw, ocotillo, barrel and Saguaro cactus.

His stomach is still rumbling. He's still hungry. So he flies on and on, searching in vain for his familiar Jurassic rain forest and something to eat.

On the other side of the planet, at the little border town of Braunau in Austria-Hungary, a birthday party is in progress. It's little Adi's birthday, and he's sitting in his high chair in the upstairs dining room at the Gasthof zum Pommer at Vorstadt No. 219, not quite sure of what's going on. Mutti is there, and his Aunt Johanna, and his older siblings, Alois and Angela, and they all clap and cheer when their housekeeper, Rosalia Schichtl, brings in the small chocolate cake with its single blazing candle.

Alois and Angela crowd either side of the high chair. "Blow it out, Adi. Blow it out. Like this..."

And so, Adolf Hitler--born in this very house one year earlier, on April 20, 1889--leans forward and blows out his birthday cake candle, unaware of the strange drama now underway in the Arizona desert. (See Fortean Times No. 105 for January 1998, "Thunderbirds are go" by Mark Hall, pages 34 to 37. Also Hitler 1889-1936 Hubris by Ian Kershaw, W.W. Norton & Co., New York, N.Y., 1998, pages 10 and 11.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home- -UFO Roundup." See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol.10 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1014.shtml