UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 10
Number 23
June 8th, 2005

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


On Saturday, April 16, 2005, at 12 noon, tourist Elizabeth B. was visiting the tomb of King Cyrus the Great in Iran when she had an unusual sighting.

"Facing the monolith, the sun was overhead yet behind me," she reported, "I believe I was facing north."

"I looked up over my left shoulder to see a disk about 20 feet (6 meters) high, mindlessly letting out vapour around its edge. I believe it was about 20 to 30 feet (6 to 9 meters) in diameter, grey in colour. It was a hovering UFO. It seemed as though it could have been spying. I felt intimidated and looked down at the ground and saw its shadow moving around in front of me. I did NOT want to interact with it."

"This is the second UFO I've seen. The first was in Rockville, Maryland in December of 2004. I felt that both times I was being watched. The disk was grey or dull silver; the sun was behind it, as this is just an approximation. I only saw it hovering, then its shadow moving around in a circular, slightly erratic pattern for about 20 seconds."

UFO activity continues in Iran, mostly on the border of Esfahan and Chahar Mahal Bakhtiari province. According to Iranian ufologist Kufa Yildaz, "luminous disks" and "a long silver cylinder" have been seen passing over the Kuha Yezagro mountains at dusk and "in the late evening."

Cities reporting UFO sightings in April and May include Najafabad, Falavarjan and Riz, all west of Isfahan. (Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi and Kufa Yildaz for these news reports.)

(Editor's Note: Isfahan is the site of one of Iran's major nuclear research centers.)


On Thursday, June 2, 2005, four teenaged girls at a Roman Catholic high school in Puerto Saavedra in southern Chile "saw a UFO appear suddenly out of a fuzzy cloud."

"It was so fast it looked like an asteroid descending," eyewitness Victoria T. reported, "It was after a school class meeting. Three kids and myself were out in the school's parking lot when a bright light caught our attention. Observing it, we saw that it was not so high in the sky. It was white with a kind of cloud surrounding it, with color tones of yellowish-white and turquoise-blue."

"You could see that it was moving fast. We stood there watching it fall from the sky until it nearly struck the earth. But then it swerved suddenly to the side and went behind a tree. Then a burst of light lengthwise, then nothing. There was no sign of anything. Just the four of us and what seemed like smoke in the air which had a dense smell."

Another witness stated, "It looked like the moon was falling at great speed. But it was white with a touch of yellow and turquoise colors. Maybe 20 to 30 meters (66 to 100 feet) high. It was travelling really fast."

Puerto Saavedra is located 200 kilometers (120 miles) south of Concepcion in southern Chile. (Email Form Report)


"What would happen if the existence of alien life-- and the fact that it lives among us--was confirmed? The answer is in the hands of (Peru's) military, who possess the documents and evidence regarding UFO sightings, handled by the United States as super-secret information. The disclosure," says Peruvian ufologist Mario Zegarra, "would prove that man is only a primitive creature in the face of extraterrestrial intelligence."

"Mario Zegarra claims that the Peruvian armed forces, specifically its" Fuerza Aerea Peruana (FAP or Peruvian Air Force--J.T.), conceal information on UFOs seen in various parts of the (South American) country, which is made known not to the national government" in Lima "but to the U.S. and the agencies researching the areas where the strange craft were detected."

Peru's "armed forces and senior police officials cover up the information, considering it to be top- secret."

"'Claiming that extraterrestrial life exists not only in other galaxies, but upon Earth itself, is a rejection of scientific theories on human evolution; in other words, humanity's forbears are not apes, but aliens,' explained ufologist Mario Zegarra, 'Being a superior civilization and possessing advanced knowledge, it would dismantle U.S. power. The (Peruvian) military itself has sighted UFOs from its craft. However, they must hold their peace, as it is classified information that is best kept from the public.'"

"The spacecraft described by (Peru's) military are allegedly manufactured using a solid material that is different from materials on Earth. Zegarra adds that we are on the brink of another UFO wave as intense as those which have been occurring at periodic intervals for the last 40 years."

"One of the top-secret documents presented by Dr. Zegarra states that on May 9, 1980, while a group of military officers from the FAP were beginning their daily formation on the Mariano Melgar Air Base in the barrio La Joya (district)" of Arequipa, Peru's second-largest city, "they detected the presence of a UFO at the end of the runway and at a height (altitude) of 1,800 feet (640 meters) above the surface."

"The object, resembling a weather balloon used for maritime navigation, was moving over the area near the airport. For this reason, Lt. Oscar Santa Maria, the pilot of one of the fighters, was given the order to take off and intercept the object. After a third pass, the pilot opened fire on the object without causing any apparent damage," and the UFO began 'moving away quickly.'"

"The second sighting has a special characteristic, as it is described as a shining object, according to a translation of the official Pentagon report, a document made available through the Freedom of Information Act and featuring the eyewitness account of Major Santa Maria Huertas" and his pursuit "of a UFO aboard his (Russian- built) Sukhoi SU-22" fighter jet.

"At Puerto Maldonado," in eastern Peru, "in 1952, customs chief Domingo Troncoso managed to photograph a UFO. The object was moving along in silence, leaving a long and dense contrail in its wake. It's estimated speed was 1,500 miles per hour."

"In 1967, another flying saucer was photographed by Augusto Arranda in Yungay, as he liked the soaring mountains of the (Callejon de Huaylas) region."

"In 1966, an extraterrestrial object came in for a landing at the Talara air base," located 600 kilometers (360 miles) north of Lima, the national capital.

"In 1979, a three-legged extraterrestrial vehicle landed in Chachapoyas."

"Mario Zegarra states that the persons holding the proof are (Peru's) military and intelligence services. The accounts provided by Dr. Zegarra coincide with the ones given by researcher J.J. Benitez, who states that military personnel having access to this information insist that the public is not ready to know the truth."

"Zegarra and Benitez claim that there have been hundreds of UFO sightings over or near military bases, atomic silos, warships, transport and combat aircraft, due to the potential for destruction they can cause. In this regard, anyone who dares to dislose secret documents kept in any (Peruvian) army, police or air base could even be 'terminated.'" (See the Peruvian newspaper El Chino for May 27, 2005. Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales, Alex Sender y Monica Gaetano de Silva por este articulo de diario.)


On Monday, May 30, 2005, at 8:15 p.m., eyewitness J.H. was outdoors in his hometown of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania (population 7,636) "when I noticed an object just above the western horizon here in Cumberland County. It was moving slowly. The object moved slowly west, then east, then north and finally departed to the west."

"As the object was above a stand of pine trees, I first thought it was a bird that had caught my attention. Then, to the west of this, I saw the object sort of hovering. It seemed too big for a bird and a little too high up. I watched the object from my car as it slowly moved around and toward the tree line. I got out of my car to get a better line of sight. At that point, the object seemed to vanish."

J.H. described the UFO as "dull grey, flat, possibly oval in shape. My best guess for height is about 500 feet (150 meters), maybe less. Viewing the object, it was moving around slowly. The object appeared to vanish, and I lost sight of it."

Camp Hill, Pa. is on Route 114 about 10 miles (16 kilometers) west of Harrisburg, the state capital. (Email Form Report)


On Saturday, May 28, 2005, just after midnight, eyewitness Shannon Brewer reported, "I was driving on Interstate (Highway) 55 southbound from Hammond (population 17,639) to La Place, Louisiana (population 27,684) and listening to a CD. When I hit around Mile Marker 6, I noticed something in the sky outside my passenger window. I looked at it and first thought it could be a plane, but it was flying too low and it was too large to be a plane."

"I slowed down and studied it. It was a large, orange-yellow, very bright ball moving in the same direction (south--J.T.) but slower. It seemed to be close to me, flying just down to the tree line. This object stayed in the sky for about five minutes and then it was gone."

"I continued driving and kept looking for it to appear again, but it didn't."

"When I got home, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I called my fiance and told him I saw something in the sky and it could've been a UFO. Of course, he said it was probably a plane or something, but I know it wasn't. I am very positive the bright object I saw was a UFO."

Hammond, La. is about 40 miles (64 kilometers) north of New Orleans. (Email Form Report)


On Sunday, May 29, 2005, at 10 p.m., Ed Willey was outdoors in his hometown of Moab, Utah (population 850) "when I saw something approach from the east, out of the desert," he reported, "A small white light that appeared to be and moved like a satellite, only a little bit bigger. It seemed to slow down or stop. Then the light got much brighter (maybe twice as bright as Jupiter-- E.W.). I thought it was a plane that had turned towards me and had its landing lights on. But then the object suddenly changed direction and vanished."

"It looked like a satellite for maybe five minutes, got super-bright for three seconds, and then was gone in a second or two."

Moab is on Highway 191 in southeastern Utah, located approximately 238 miles (380 kilometers) southeast of Salt Lake City, the state capital.


Just after midnight on Wednesday, June 1, 2005, Marge Northdurft reported, "I was walking my dogs" in her hometown of Satellite Beach, Florida (population 9,577). I'm not sure if it was midnight or just after. I was quite startled when, in an instant, which couldn't have been any longer than a second, I saw an object far above the rooftop of my neighbor's house. It was like a flash-- it happened so fast."

"The object was very large, at least 40 feet (12 meters) long, and it seemed slightly oval-shaped and illuminated with a rosy color. There was no sound and no obvious lights."

"I also saw at least two, or possibly more, very dark, blackish doorways or motifs in a rectangular shape. Inside of these were large, narrow, horizontal windows, which seemed to be clear. But I saw no movement inside. I could not see the top or bottom of the object, just the side facing me. I have no idea how it arrived, and it did not fly away--it just vanished."

"I haven't seen a UFO for over twenty years and, with it being so close, I'm very concerned. The dogs didn't seem to be bothered by it. They didn't even bark. I'm wondering if it's always there, and I just haven't been able to see it before."

"I find it very mysterious how it appeared and vanished so quickly."

"When I had my first UFO sighting, I was living in Missouri. It was an illuminated triangular-shaped object, which was hovering high in the sky over a cloverleaf shopping area. My son was in the car with me, and he also saw it. Within seconds, the object shot out two beams of

light and moved straight up out of sight."

Satellite Beach, Fla. is located 3 miles (5 kilometers) north of Melbourne and 173 miles (276 kilometers) north of Miami. (Email Form Report)


"Members of the Rich Hill Christian Church in Casey County," Kentucky, say their service last Sunday, May 22, 2005, "came to an abrupt halt when parishoners claimed to have witnessed a heavenly sighting."

"Pastor Rick Hogue says it was 'a very powerful moment. I was teaching out of Revelations and, all of a sudden, a big rainbow came across the ceiling, stopping the service.'"

"Pam Buis told LEX-18 News she never carries a camera to church, but for some reason she took one that day and was able to capture the image. 'Wonderful. So peaceful. You could feel the Presence in the room,' Buis said."

"Pastor Hogue says they shook the blinds and even turned off all the lights, but the rainbow was still there."

"Parishoners then saw something even more incredible, as they claim a cross began to form in the middle of the rainbow."

"'The cross turned into three bright circles,' Buis said. And that's not all, she claims. 'One of the circles even looked like an image of Jesus with his arms outstretched.'"

"Church members have found some skepticism about what they claim to have seen. But they say they have no doubt about it--it was something special."

"'Go on and take it as His hand trying to get here to show us what He wants from us as a church body,' said Pastor Hogue."

"In a curious twist, folks told LEX-18 News that when the pastor interrupted his service, the rainbow went away. The church has been around since 1860, and the members say this is a first."

Casey County is in a rural area of central Kentucky, just north of Liberty, Ky. (population 1,850), located about 40 miles (64 kilometers) southwest of Lexington. (See the LEX-18 News of Lexington, Ky. broadcast of May 29, 2005. Many thanks to Jim Hickman, executive director of Skywatch International, for the broadcast transcript.)

(Editor's Comment: I'm curious. Exactly what verse from the Book of Revelations was Pastor Hogue preaching?)


"Sisters renovating their childhood home" near Livernois Avenue in Detroit, the largest city in the USA's state of Michigan, "said they believe an image of Jesus has appeared in the paint on an interior wall."

"Phyllis and Leona Chester were painting the wall when two images suddenly appeared. They were able to cover one of them up, but the other remained. The sisters think the image 'looks like Jesus,' and so do the neighbors."

"The sisters were renovating because they planned to sell their home and move to Arizona. They said they were reconsidering their decision." (See the Detroit Free Press for June 4, 2005, "Sisters see image of Jesus in paint on wall." Many thanks to "Sherwin Williams" for this newspaper article.)


"A big cat is being blamed for an attack on a cow at a farm near Plymouth," Cornwall, UK.

"There have been a series of alleged sightings of big cats in the area around Langage Farm. The cow's owners say they have no other explanation for the animal's injuries and say vets (veterinarians--J.T.) have agreed that they are confronted with a big cat attack. The animal (cow) is expected to make a full recovery, but the incident is likely to reignite the debate over the existence of big cats in the area."

"Farm owner Andrew Stead said they were unsure at first about the Jersey cow's injuries."

"He said: 'When we looked at her scratches, we thought she might have been caught in barbed wire. But when we got her into the crush (holding pen in the USA-- J.T.), we could see the extent of the damage. We could see what looked like four parallel scratch marks on her muzzle and the side of her cheek was damaged.'"

"'She's got barbed wire scratches on her back end. She's been pushed up against a fence, I think. They're totally different from the scratches on her face. Her ear's been chewed up slightly. It's an injury I've never seen before. It's not barbed wire. It's not a dog.'"

"'There are plenty of rumours and sightings of large cats around here. It's a big animal for a cat to have a go, but I can't explain this thing any other way. Quite exciting.'"

"Colleague Paul Winterton said: 'The vets have to be very careful, but they're saying it's a probable large cat attack.'"

"'Twelve months ago, two guys were being on break when they saw a big cat. When it saw them, it began to make its way towards them and cleared a 6-foot (1.8-meter) high ledge. As you can imagine, there was quite a bit of ridicule in the factory at the time, but this latest attack just enhances what happened last year.'" (See BBC News for June 2, 2005, "Big cat blamed after cow attack." Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown and Robert Fischer for this news story.)


Louis Jourdain, "the son of Red Lake tribal Chairman Floyd Jourdain Jr. faces two unnamed federal charges in connection with the deadly shootings at the reservation's high school" in northern Minnesota, "according to records a judge ordered unsealed on Tuesday," May 31, 2005.

"A heavily blacked-out copy of the (court) docket sheet in the case shows that the attorney for Louis Jourdain has also tried without success to get his client released from federal custody."

"Jourdain has been the only person charged in connection with the March 21 (2005) shootings at Red Lake Senior High School and a private residence, which were carried out by his cousin, Jeff Weise, 16. Weise, 'described by some as a creative but depressed loner, killed nine people and then himself."

"Some of Weise's family members have theorized that the youth was angered over being banned from school, and that action--coupled with mood changes brought on by a doubling of his daily dose of the antidepressant Prozac-- drove him to carry out the killings."

"Jourdain, 16, was arrested a week after the shootings. Sources with knowledge of the federal investigation have said Jourdain and Weise exchanged emails in which they planned the shooting spree, and that there may have been additional targets beside the school."

"Floyd Jourdain Jr., chairman of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa, has said his son is 'naive' and 'real green' but is innocent of the charges."

"A federal grand jury has met at least once in Minneapolis to hear testimony in the case. Witnesses have included other youths from the reservation, attorneys for some of the witnesses said. Federal officials have said they have interviewed more than 400 people and siezed 117 computers as part of their investigation."

"Because Louis Jourdain is a juvenile, details of his case are not considered public, as they would be in a case involving an adult. U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger could prosecute Jourdain under the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Protection Act, where the proceedings could remain secret, or he could ask a judge to transfer the case to a (U.S.) district court. There, Jourdain would be treated as if he were an adult."

Duluth, Minn. attorney Joseph J. Roby Jr., acting on behalf of the newspapers St. Paul Pioneer Press and Duluth News-Tribune, "filed motions to open the court proceedings and unseal the records."

The newspapers received a "redacted copy" of the docket sheet, which "would not reveal any information about Louis Jourdain, who is referred to only as 'One Juvenile.'"

"In all, there are 40 entries on the docket sheet between March 28 and April 15 (2005). Each entry has something blacked out, ranging from a single word to nearly the entire entry. Sixteen entries are completely blacked out, including dates on which they occurred." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for June 2, 2005, "Teen faces two federal charges," pages 1A and 6A.)


"Historians working in Germany and the USA claim to have found a 60-year-old diagram showing a Nazi nuclear bomb."

"It was the only known drawing of a 'nuke' made by Nazi experts and appears in a report held by a private archive. The researchers who brought it to light say the drawing is a rough schematic and does not imply the Nazis built, or were even close to building, an atomic bomb. But a detail in the sketch shows that Nazi scientists may have been closer to this goal that previously believed."

"The report containing the diagram is undated, but the researchers claim the evidence points to it being produced immediately before the end of the war in Europe" on May 8, 1945. "It deals with the work of German nuclear scientists during the war and lacks a title page, so there is no evidence of who composed it."

"One historian behind the discovery, Dr. Rainer Karlsch, caused a storm of controversy earlier this year (2005) when he claimed to have secured evidence the Nazis successfully detonated a primitive nuclear device in the last days of World War II. A number of historians rejected the claim. The drawing is published in an article within Physics World magazine by Karlsch and Mark Walker, professor of history at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y."

"The newly-found document was discovered after the publication of Karlsch's book, Hitler's Bomb."

"'The Nazis were far away from a 'classic' atomic bomb. But they hoped to combine a 'mini-nuke' with a rocket,' Dr. Karlsch told BBC News. 'The military believed they would need six months more to bring the new weapon into action. But the scientists knew better how difficult it was to get the enriched uranium required.'"

"The head of Nazi Germany's nuclear energy program was the physicist Werner Heisenberg. Though he was highly accomplished in other areas of physics, Heisenberg failed to understand a big aspect of nuclear fission chain reactions."

"Some researchers say they had overestimated the amount of so-called 'fissile material' required to build the nuclear bomb. However, the German report contains an estimate of slightly more than 5 kilograms (10 pounds) for the critical mass of a plutonium bomb. This is comparatively close to the actual figure and may suggest that some Nazi scientists had a better grasp of nuclear fission than Heisenberg."

"Professor Paul Lawrence Rose of Pennsylvania State University and author of a 1988 book about the German nuclear program, said he had no reason to believe the report was not genuine, but was dubious about the significance of the critical mass detail."

"'Though it's wonderful to find the 5-kilogram figure written on the document, one has to be skeptical about the rationale for it. Even if it's true, and (a few German scientists--J.T.) did understand it, Heisenberg's group wouldn't have accepted it,' Dr. Rose told BBC News."

"In Hitler's Bomb, Dr. Karlsch suggests a team of scientists directed by the physicist Kurt Diebner, which was in competition with Heisenberg's group, tested a primitive nuclear device in Thuringia in March 1945."

"Rose says that this is unlikely."

"Transcripts of conversations taped by MI6, when the scientists were held captive in England, show Diebner lacked the knowledge to have done this."

"'Karlsch revealed some very important details in his book, but I won't go along with the picture he constructs from these details of a Nazi nuclear test,' said Professor Dieter Hoffmann of the Max Planck Institute in Berlin."

"However, in their article, Karlsch and Walker point to evidence of innovations made by Diebner's team, including a nuclear reactor design to those provided by the Heisenberg group." They claimed that Diebner "'got the research papers from all of these groups, and he had control of the information flux. Only a few scientists around Diebner knew about the bomb project. Heisenberg was not aware of it,' Karlsch explained."

"If the Reichsfuhrer-SS Heinrich Himmler, who had an ironclad grip on Nazi secret weapons projects from September 1943 on, had this innovative Diebner nuclear reactor built, then maybe that's how those two alleged Nazi spaceships, the Ostara and the Andromeda, got off the ground in early 1945," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor commented. "The Diebner reactor would have provided the compact energy source needed for Gruppe Kammler's 'Magnetapparat' to work. It could be a vital clue in determining the truth about 'the flight of the Andromeda' in the spring of 1945."

"There is no question that Himmler was running a crash nuclear program in 1944 and 1945," he added, "The evidence is out there. According to Flint Whitlock's new book, Given Up for Dead, Himmler defied the Geneva Convention in February 1945 by weeding out Jewish G.I.s from the mass of American P.O.W.s held at Stalag IX-B. Approximately 350 of these 'selectees' were shipped by rail to a special labor camp at Berga-an-der-Elster and used as slave labor to dig for uranium oxide."

"No one knows what happened to the tons of uranium oxide Himmler collected. After Japan's surrender in late 1945, U.S. Navy investigators inspected a German U-boat that had been abandoned by her crew in Kobe. The cargo hold had traces of uranium oxide. It is not known if the German crew brought this material to Japan, or if the U- boat's skipper dropped it off in Neuschwabenland, the Nazi colony in Antarctica, before fleeing to Japan at the end of May 1945." (See the Suddeutsche Zeitung for June 1, 2005, "Drawing uncovered of Nazi 'nuke.'


"Protesters on Sunday," May 29, 2005, gathered outside a meeting" in Las Vegas, Nevada "where members of a controversial civilian group that has been monitoring the Mexican border gathered with other activists seeking to curb illegal immigration."

"More than 150 demonstrators used placards and bullhorns and waved Mexican flags to get their message out."

"'Racists, go home!' they screamed."

Days earlier, on Wednesday, May 25, 2005, the newspaper La Voz de Aztlan --"which sees its struggle for a separate (Mexican) state with Los Angeles as its capital as similar to that of the Palestinians in the Middle East- -announces that leaders of the 'USA Anti-Mexican Movement'---Aztlan's own term--will be meeting this weekend in Las Vegas."

"States the group: 'The 'Who's Who List of Xenophobes' will be at the Plaza Hotel on Friday, May 27, Saturday, May 28, and Sunday, May 29 (2005) to coordinate the vigilante operations they plan to undertake along the California/Mexico border on June through August.'"

"'Among the racists who will be attending is head bigot Tom Tancredo,' says La Voz de Aztlan, 'Tancredo is a (Republican) congressman from Colorado who has aspirations to become USA president by utilizing Mexican immigrants as 'scapegoats' for the nation's economic and social problems. Among other bigots attending are felon Chris Simcox of the Minutemen vigilantes and his lackey Jim Gilchrist. The list of anti-Mexican xenophobes also includes Glenn Spencer (American Border Patrol), Barbara Coe (California Coalition for Immigration Reform) and the 'coconut' Andy Ramirez (Friends of the Border Patrol).'"

"The mention of 'vigilante operations' is a reference to the activities of the Minuteman Project, a successful citizen border patrol effort that effectively shut down the flow of illegal aliens from Mexico this spring over a 23-mile (37-kilometer) stretch" of Arizona border.

"The event is being sponsored by the Wake Up America Foundation. The true name of the conference, according to the event website, is 'United to Fight Against Illegal Immigration Summit.'"

"Patricia Saye is co-founder of Wake Up America."

"'What's so funny about this is the event is not being held at the Plaza Hotel,' she told WorldNet Daily, 'It's being held at the Cashman Theatre.'"

"Saye said her group is not concerned about the threats."

"'If we were to let these people frighten us, we wouldn't be very good Americans, would we?' Saye asked, 'We've all been fighters throughout the generations, for our freedoms and our liberties, so we're going to stand our ground.'"

"Saye explained the many groups involved in the summit hope to form a coalition that will then put pressure on 'city, county, state and federal elected officials to apply the laws (concerning legal immigration into the USA--J.T.). We have laws on the books already, but they're being ignored...'"

"Aztlan, the mythical birthplace of the Aztecs, is regarded in Chicano folklore as an area that includes California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and parts of Colorado and Texas. It is this area--lost when Mexico signed the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo," which ended the Mexican War, "that activists want to make into a sovereign Hispanic state that could eventually merge with Mexico."

"Hundreds of people had gathered for the two-day summit titled 'United to Fight Against Illegal Immigration' at a Las Vegas convention center."

"Miguel Barrientos, president of the Las Vegas Mexican-American Political Association, said people sopping up the rhetoric of Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist were not protecting the country (USA)--they were harming it."

"'They're creating division among Americans,' he said, 'We don't need it.'"

"Nearly 900 Minutemen volunteers, some of them armed, patrolled the Arizona border in April (2005)."

"Organizers said volunteers' calls to the Border Patrol resulted in the arrests of 335 illegal immigrants."

"Critics, including Border Patrol officials, have said the group was little more than a nuisance."

"In a speech Sunday," May 29, 2005, "Gilchrist said a declaration of war is committed every time a Mexican flag is planted on U.S. soil."

"'If this isn't a declaration of war, I don't know what is,' Gilchrist said."

Last week, angry residents of Medford, Oregon forced the Oregon State Employment Office to remove a Mexican flag that was being displayed more prominently than the American flag. Under U.S. law, it is a crime to display a foreign banner in a position superior to Old Glory anywhere in the USA and its territories and possessions.

"There were no reports of violence" at Sunday's demonstration. "A protest against Gilchrist in California turned violent when demonstrators hurled rocks and unopened soda cans at police and people attending his speech." (See WorldNet Daily for May 25, 2005, "Anti- illegals activists threatened;" and the Houston, Tex. Chronicle for May 30, 2005, "Protesters decry summit as 'racist.'")


"About 400 people turned out for a Confederate memorial service held Sunday," June 5, 2005, in Higginsville, Missouri (population 4,682), "under the rebel battle flag, singing 'Dixie' and laying roses at a Confederate monument."

"Gov. Matt Blunt ordered a one-day flying of the flag at the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site to coincide with the service."

"About 20 protesters demonstrated their disapproval by marching outside the Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City (population 36,700)."

"Officials with the Confederate Memorial State Historic Site in Higginsville, Mo., said the turnout there--four times larger than expected--could be attributed to the return of the Confederate flag."

"Gov. Blunt ordered the one-day flying of the flag at the historic site, saying he was acting on the request of a (Missouri) state lawmaker who represents the Higginsville area."

"The attention 'over the issue caused more people to be aware of the event,' site administrator Greta Marshall said after the ceremony."

"Sunday marked the first time the Confederate flag had flown over state property since January 2003, when Gov. Bob Holden's administration ordered it to come down from the Higginsville site."

"Missouri never joined the Confederacy" during the American Civil War (1861-1865). "Some residents fought for the Union, others for the South." (See USA Today for June 6, 2005, "Rebel flag divides Missouri once again," page 3A; and the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for June 6, 2005, "Confederate event draws protests," page 2A.)

(Editor's Comment: Use of the Confederate flag is spreading beyond the South. It seems to be evolving into a symbol of Jesus Christ and active Christian resistance to the New World Order.)


"The Mars rover Opportunity resumed rolling freely across the Martian surface Saturday," June 4, 2005, "after scientists freed it from a sand dune where it had been mired for nearly five weeks, a NASA project manager said."

"Engineers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory" in Pasadena, California, "which manages the mission, cheered when images beamed back to Earth showed the rover's wheels were free."

"'We've got a working rover on Mars that cost $400 million to build and...keep working,' project manager Jim Erickson said, 'I'd like to wear it out rather than lose it.'"

"A photograph taken by Opportunity and posted on the laboratory's Web site showed the long tracks of its wheels crossing a featureless dune."

"Opportunity's wheels started slipping (Tuesday) April 26 (2005) during a planned 295-foot (89-meter) excursion. While trying to drive over a foot-high (30- centimeter) sand dune, the robotic explorer stopped moving, its wheels hub-deep in soft soil."

"Engineers spent weeks with an Opportunity mock-up figuring out what commands to give the robot to free it, but the maneuvers took time. The rover inched forward less than a foot in a month, losing most of its traction every time it tried to roll."

"'It's kind of like we were swimming through it,' Erickson said."

"But on Saturday morning, data showed that Opportunity was free and had moved several feet across the dune."

"Erickson said engineers want to be sure the rover will not encounter any more (sand) patches that could trap it again. It will be Monday or Tuesday night before a test drive is ordered, he said."

"Opportunity and its twin rover, Spirit, have been exploring opposite sides of Mars since landing in January 2004. Both rovers have long outlasted their primary, three month missions."

In other Mars news, "NASA is moving ahead with plans to put a long-armed lander on Mars' icy north pole to search for clues to water and signs of life."

"The $386 million Phoenix Mars is scheduled to touch down in the Martian Arctic in May 2008. The probe will use its robotic arm to scoop up soil samples to analyze for traces of ice and evidence of ancient microbes."

"In 2002, the Mars Odyssey orbiter spotted evidence of ice-rich soil near the Arctic surface. Phoenix will be the first mission of the low-budget Mars Scout program." (See USA Today for June 6, 2005, "Mars rover back on track after five weeks," page 3A, and "New lander to visit Mars' north pole," page 5D.)


On June 5, 1917, a tornado estimated to be an F5 on the Fujikawa scale skirted Topeka, the state capital of Kansas, producing unusually-shaped hailstones of tremendous size.

"Residents near Topeka, Kan. reported disk-shaped hailstones 6 to 10 inches (15 to 25 centimeters) in diameter and 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 centimeters) thick."

According to the original New York Times news story, "Tornadoes last night (June 5, 1917) and early today spread death and destruction through rural districts of Missouri and Kansas. Reports tonight showed 15 killed in Missouri and 9 in Kansas."

"In Kansas, the deaths totaled eight in the counties southeast and west of Topeka. One other was killed at Savonburg, near Iola, where the tornado appeared early today (June 7, 1917--J.T.)."

"The course of the tornado was marked by odd jumps. First it appeared near Topeka early in the day, and then came to earth again in Ray County, Missouri shortly after midnight."

Heaviest hit by the unusually-large hail was Eskridge, Kansas (population 589), located at the junction of Highways 4 and 99 approximately 30 miles (48 kilometers) southwest of Topeka. Hailstones found here measured 10 inches (25 centimeters) in diameter and 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) thick.

In Elmont, Kansas (population 85), located 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of Topeka, the 1917 tornado "left only one house in the town still standing. All of the others were destroyed." (See the St. Paul Pioneer Press for June 5, 2005, "Weather History." Also the New York Times for June 7, 1917, "24 New Storm Victims," page 9.)

(Editor's Note: Iola, Kansas was the site of an alien sighting at the Lanyon Smelter in November 1903. See UFO Roundup, volume 8, number 50 for December 31, 2003, "1903: Strange creature seen in Iola, Kansas," page 9.)


Book cover

Is E.T. Here? - This book, by Robert Trundle, Ph.D., is a must-have for any ufologist's library. Not only does it discuss many of the issues involving reported contacts with extraterrestrials, it provides reproduced documents from both government and researchers' files on famous contact cases of the past fifty years.

I thought I knew something about the Majestic 12 case and the MAJIC files. But then I read Trundle's erudite and comprehensive distillation of the key facts, and it really took my breath away. It made me appreciate the tons of back-breaking research that went into Stanton Friedman's original expose. If there was a Nobel Prize for ufology, Stan should have won it hands-down.

Trundle did an excellent job on some of the near- forgotten UFO cases of the past, such as the "electronic interference" experienced by the U.S. Air Force B-47 bombers back in June 1955 and Men In Black (MIB) involvement in the Rex Heflin case in Santa Ana, California in 1965.

I was particularly intrigued by the case of M.Sgt. Alex Tremulis, who was stationed at Wright Field (later Wright-Patterson Air Force Base) in Ohio in 1944, and claims to have seen aliens examining wreckage of a Nazi V- 2 rocket in the company of U.S. Army Air Technical Intelligence officers. That one comes straight out of the "Foo Fighters" era of World War II, and it makes you wonder what was going on at Wright-Pat during the last year of the Roosevelt administration.

Grab it, fellow ufologists. This book is a keeper. You can order Is E.T. Here? by credit card from Barnes & Noble, Waldenbooks or Amazon.com. The vital data includes: Is E.T. Here? by Robert Trundle, Ph.D., EcceNova Editions, Victoria, B.C., Canada, 2005, ISBN No. 0- 9735341-2-5.

Book cover

Zorro - I don't customarily review fiction, but I'll make an exception for this well-crafted novel. I'll confess I was curious. Given that the title character has gone from Johnston McCulley's original 1919 novella through several movies, two TV shows and a handful of follow-up books, I didn't think it possible for any author to tie all of the legend's threads together. But Isabel Allende did it and did it well. She takes us from Diego de la Vega's birth in the new Alta California province of Nueva Espana (now the USA's state of California) in 1795 to his training as a master swordsman in Europe to a surprising encounter with pirate Jean Lafitte in Louisiana to his return to Los Angeles in 1816.

I always suspected that Diego was a little off-the- wall. Now I know for certain, because only a lunatic would invade the La Ciudela fortress in Barcelona, Spain and humiliate the agents of Joseph Fouche, Napoleon's chief of the secret police. During his career at Napoleon's elbow, Fouche sent a lot of headless bodies floating down the Seine.

Allende's forte is characters, and there are plenty of memorable ones here, particularly Nuria, the chaperone of Juliana, Diego's first love. Muchas gracias, Isabel, for letting us all relive life in (Napoleonic) wartime Barcelona. To order:

Zorro by Isabel Allende, HarperCollins Publishers, New York, N.Y., 2005, ISBN No. 0-06-077897-0.

From the UFO Files...


Last week's story about the search for lost Confederate gold in Cement, Oklahoma (population 500), a small town on Highway 277 southwest of Oklahoma City, has called attention to some of the stranger tales about the Sooner State.

On the outskirts of Cement is a stony hill called Buzzard's Roost. At the summit is an outcrop of bedrock that resembles an anvil. Professional treasure hunters Bud Hardcastle and Charlie Holman believe "that enterprising disciples of Dixie stashed millions of dollars in gold and silver--now probably worth billions-- in locations across North America, to help finance a second Civil War."

The gold is supposed to have been buried there by the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC), a very real secret society that flourished in the USA between 1850 and 1870. Many Knights were also prominent members of Masonic lodges throughout the South.

"If Buzzard's Roost is a Masonic site, it should be fairly easy to find the buried gold," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor commented. "Just face east at sunrise. Pick out a point 33 degrees to the south of the spot where the sun appeared at the horizon. Walk either 33 feet (10 meters) or 33 yards (30 meters) downhill from 'The Anvil' and start digging."

Another potential burial site for KGC gold is the ruins of old Fort Towson, 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Valliant, Okla. (population 771) on U.S. Route 70 in that corner of southeastern Oklahoma known as "Little Dixie."

"The fort was established in 1824 to protect the Choctaws--who were induced by the federal government to emigrate from their Mississippi homes--both from the raiding western Plains Indians and the outlaws that made their headquarters along the north bank of the Red River."

"The post was abandoned in 1829, then re-established when enforced removal of the Choctaws began in 1831. Abandoned once again in 1854, it was used as a Choctaw Indian agency until the outbreak of the (American) Civil War, when it was taken over by the Confederates."

In 1864, at the height of the Golden Circle intrigues, Confederate general S.B. Maxey took command of Fort Towson. Maxey was a Knight, as was his patron in Richmond, Isham G. Harris.

Indeed, Fort Towson was the last bastion of the southern Confederacy. Here Confederate general Stand Watie surrendered in June of 1865, two months after Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox courthouse in Virginia.

(Editor's Note: Watie was an Ani-Yupuya or a Cherokee Indian.)

However, stranger items than Confederate gold have been unearthed in the suburbs of Oklahoma City.

"On June 27, 1969, workmen leveling a rock shelf at 122nd Street on the Broadway Extension between Edmond (population 68,315) and Oklahoma City uncovered a rock formation that caused a great deal of controversy among investigating authorities."

"To the layman, the site looked like an inlaid mosaic floor. It apparently looked very much like someone's floor to some of the experts, as well."

"'I am sure this was man-made because the stones are placed in perfect sets of parallel lines which intersect to form a diamond shape, all pointing to the east,' said Durwood Pate, an Oklahoma City geologist who studied the site. 'We found post holes which measure a perfect two rods from the other two. The top of the stone is very smooth, and if you lift one of them, you will find it is very jagged, which indicates wear on the surface. Everything is too well-placed to be a natural formation.'"

"Dr. Robert Bell, an archaeologist from the University of Oklahoma, expressed his opinion that the find was a natural formation. Dr. Bell said that he could see no evidence of any mortaring substance. But Pate, on the other hand, was able to distinguish some kind of mud between each stone."

"Delbert Smith, a geologist, president of the Oklahoma Seismograph Company, said the formation, which was discovered about three feet (0.9 meters) beneath the surface, appeared to cover several thousand square feet."

"The Tulsa World quoted Smith as saying: 'There is no question about it. It has been laid there, but I have no idea by whom.'"

A mosaic floor covering "several thousand square feet." Obviously, it was the remains of some prehistoric palace. Did an ancient city once stand on the site of what is now Edmond, Okla.? And who could have built it? Travelers from prehistoric Lemuria? Settlers from the lost continent of Atlantis? Or maybe a wandering tribe from the weird Lamanite civilization mentioned in The Book of Mormon.

Thirty-six years after its discovery, there are still no definite answers about the "mosaic floor" found in Edmond, Okla.

Was it buried gold, prehistoric cities or the assassination of Abraham Lincoln that triggered Oklahoma City's most baffling homicide? Charles Fort, the "Father of Ufology" mentions it in his book Wild Talents: "I put this item with others upon freaks of collectors. In Oklahoma City, July 1907, somebody collected ears. Bodies of three men--ears cut off."

But, when it comes to sheer weirdness, not too many communities in the Sooner State can compete with the city of Enid (population 47,045).

Located on Highways 60, 64 and 412 approximately 98 miles (157 kilometers) north-northwest of Oklahoma City, "Enid has grown over the years from a tent city which sprang out of the prairie dust on the day of the Cherokee Outlet opening--September 16, 1893--to a typically prosperous, substantial, self-contained municipality."

Yet, early Enid was a Mecca for people associated with the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the USA's sixteenth president, on Good Friday, April 14, 1865.

According to researcher Jim Brandon, "What might there have been in this small city to attract not one, not two, but three persons involved in what pioneer conspiratologist Otto Eisenschiml has called 'the strange death of Abraham Lincoln.'"

"Local (Enid) history records that a chap who killed himself with strychnine--or at least ended up poisoned to death--at the local hotel on January 13, 1903, had identified himself as none other than John Wilkes Booth."

This mysterious figure "had been living around Enid for quite some time, using a number of aliases. At the time of his death, he was known as David E. George and posed as a house painter, although no one seems to have taken that role any more seriously than he did."

Booth/George "always seemed to have plenty of money and spent most of his time in taverns. When well-oiled with drink, he often delivered lengthy Shakespearean recitations, which amazed those who heard them as being far superior to ordinary barroom blague."

"He had confided to a number of persons that he, Booth, had escaped from a burning tobacco barn at Port Royal, Virginia, where he was cornered after the Lincoln assassination, leaving another man to be shot in his place."

"A last request, found among (David E.) George's effects, was that actor Edwin Booth of New York City (the assassin's older brother--J.T.) be notified of his death. This was done by telegram, but there was no reply."

"A man who certainly should have been able to shed some light on the (real) identity of 'George' was also residing in Enid at the time. This was Boston Corbett, the Army sergeant who had rushed up and shot into the burning barn in a sort of instant preplay of the" Lee Harvey Oswald/Jack Ruby "exchange of 1963. Corbett, who seems to have escaped from an insane asylum (in Kansas-- J.T.) somewhere along his checkered trail, was working in Enid as a drug salesman. He may even have carried strychnine in his samples kit. But if he was in town at the time of George's death, he never came forward."

"Eight months after the death" of David E. George, "a newspaper in Rockport, Indiana reported that the former manager for the Laura Keene Theatrical Company, who had opened the window for Booth to escape Ford's Theatre" in Washington, D.C. "after shooting Lincoln, had retired and was living, where else but at Enid, Oklahoma. He too kept silent."

Enid "successfully avoided having the name of Skeleton thrust upon it (from its proximity to the head of Skeleton Creek) and owes its real name to a literature- loving Rock Island railroad official. Fond of Tennyson's Idylls of the King, he felt that Geraint's wife ought to be honored by having a city named for her."

In a bizarre twist of fate, as a schoolboy, John Wilkes Booth played the role of "Enid" in an amateur production of Idylls of the King at the Milton College for Boys in Cockeysville, Maryland.

So, if you find yourself in Oklahoma this summer, don't go speeding on through. Stay awhile, drive around, explore a bit--this Midwestern state has a plentitude of mysteries to share. (See the books Mysteries of Time and Space by Brad Steiger, Dell Publishing Co., Inc., New York, N.Y., 1973, pages 53 and 54; The Complete Books of Charles Fort, Dover Publications Inc., New York, N.Y., 1974, page 871; Oklahoma: A Guide to the Sooner State, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, Okla., revised edition July 1957, pages 148, 149, 245, 374, 375, 417 and 426; Weird America by Jim Brandon, E.P. Dutton, New York, N.Y., 1978, pages 186 and 187; Why Was Lincoln Murdered? by Otto Eisenschiml, Little, Brown Co., Boston, Mass., 1937; and Murdering Mr. Lincoln by Charles Higham, New Millenium Press, Beverly Hills, Cal., 2004, pages 104, 105 and 106. See also the Enid, Okla. Morning News for February 4, 1976, "The Odyssey of John Wilkes Booth," page 1; the Edmond, Okla. Booster for July 3, 1969; and the Tulsa, Okla. World for June 29, 1969.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us again in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth--and occasionally, Mars-- brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next week!

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites and in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol.10 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1023.shtml