UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 10
Number 27
July 7, 2005

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


On Tuesday, June 21, 2005, at 3:30 a.m., Alexander Reynolds and a few fishing buddies were trying their luck at a private beach on Cat's Head Point near Northport, Michigan (population 868), a small town 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Traverse City. Then one of them noticed a strange glow over Lake Michigan.

"Me and a few friends were having a fish fry on a private beach in the early morning," Alex reported, "Then we all noticed an extremely large sphere of light southwest of our location. (The beach faces due west onto Lake Michigan--A.R.) The object appeared to be many miles away. However, by size compared to its apparent distance, I'd say it was 1,000 feet (300 meters) in diameter--or larger."

"It looked about twice as big as the moon would be on the horizon. None of us saw it approach. Mainly, one moment it was there, then it caught my eye all of a sudden. It initially looked like a big circle with the top sheared off just a bit above the center. It then 'grew' another sphere, and this one went below the horizon (heading for Wisconsin--J.T.)."

"Its color was a burning orange, and the object's actual size may be reduced due to the brightness of the sky. It was as if the sun could be seen in the night sky, except that it illuminated nothing but itself--a giant burning ball. The whole thing lasted maybe 15 to 20 minutes. I would say the object was about 100 feet (30 meters) above the surface of" Lake Michigan. (Email Form Report)

Elsewhere in Michigan, on Tuesday, May 17, 2005, eyewitness A.M. reported, "It was just about 10 p.m., and I was home" in Wixom, Michigan (population 13,263) "watching TV. Strange lights caught the corner of my eye. I got up and looked out the window and saw a triangular- shaped craft flying very low over the grounds of my home."

The object, he added, "was triangular, almost L- shaped, with lights on both sides. On the left side, the lights were white, blue, green, blue; and on the right side the colors were white, blue, purple, red. The object was only 100 feet (30 meters) above my home. It was moving slowly at 35 miles per hour."

Wixom, Mich. is on the Pontiac Trail about 15 miles (25 kilometers) northwest of Detroit. (Email Form Report) (Editor's Comment: Welcome to USA, Watch the Skies Week here at UFO Roundup. For some unknown reason, the incidence of UFO sightings here in the USA is up sharply-- right in time for our Fourth of July holiday.)


On Sunday, June 26, 2005, at 9:45 p.m., eyewitness M.J. spotted a UFO at her home in South Scottsdale, Arizona while looking east towards the Salt River Pima- Maricopa Indian Reservation and Mount McDowell.

"We received a phone call last night to come outside and see the lights in the sky," M.J. reported, "Our neighbors had been watching it for a few minutes already. We went in the backyard, and at first did not see anything because they were behind some trees. So I went into the front yard to get a better look and then I saw it. It was colorful lights that moved about."

"My neighbors wanted me to watch in their backyard, so I did."

"I watched these lights change color from green to red and, I think, even blue. It moved from about left to right, from really low down to very high up. I could not see the shape of the object, just where it was moving and the color transformation."

"My neighbor said there were two or three others, as well. It would even sit stationary for a while, change color and then move again. The lights were very bright! Sometimes it showed all the different bright colors at the same time. I wondered if it was a police chopper (helicopter--J.T.) following someone, but it couldn't have been that at all. No helicopter could move like this! Plus, it made absolutely no noise at all."

"It was not too high up. I would guess from the direction I was looking it would be about the height of a five-story building (i.e. 50 feet or 15 meters off the ground--J.T.). It was a warm summer night, clear skies, stars visible. It would be as fast as a helicopter but so fast that it would leave a trail of lights behind it. It was like free-falling slowly, then back up again. We are not really sure how low to the ground it got. It went left and right at the same speed."

"I do not believe in aliens driving around in spaceships. I believe in military coverups. This is what I, and three other people, saw."

South Scottsdale, Ariz. is on McDowell Road about 20 miles (32 kilometers) northeast of Phoenix. (Email Form Report)

On Thursday, June 30, 2005, at 8:35 p.m., Judith Playter was outdoors at her home in Sun City, Arizona (population 38,309) when she spotted something very unusual in the night sky.

"I was in front of my house facing north when the object appeared," Judith reported, "It was not saucer- shaped but more elongated--the size of a Navy (aircraft) carrier, I think. It was an effervescent silver. It was about 1,000 feet (300 meters) above me. The UFO movement was extremely fast. I'm not good at speed--I'd say 500 miles per hour (800 kilometers per hour). The object approached from the southwest and flew north. It shot straight up, then went north towards Flagstaff."

Sun City, Ariz. is on Highway 60, located about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north-northwest of Phoenix. (Email Form Report)


On Saturday, June 25, 2005, at 3 a.m., Dean Burgess was taking a break at work in Winsted, Connecticut (population 7,321), doing a little stargazing, when he spied something odd in the night sky.

"I was at work having a break at 3 a.m.," Dean reported, "It was a clear night, and the stars were really bright. As usual, I was stargazing. At first I saw what I thought was a satellite, but it was too low and moving too slow."

"This star-like object was very weak. Suddenly, it produced the brightest white light I have ever seen. This lasted for about 30 seconds. As this happened, the object moved slowly along. As it moved, it got dimmer until it completely disappeared. The object disappeared not from distance but actually vanished."

"The object was oval is shape, and the only feature I could see was the light itself. I'd estimate its altitude at 30,000 feet (9,000 meters), but I have no idea of its speed."

Winsted, Conn. is on Routes 8 and 44, located about 30 miles (50 kilometers) northwest of Hartford, the state capital. (Email Form Report)

(Editor's Note: Winsted is "the Fortean capital of Connecticut." The whole gamut of Forteana was reported in this little furniture-making town during the Nineteenth and Twentieth centuries--crazy crocs, poltergeists, levitating furniture, UFOs, Bigfoot sightings, you name it. Example--a "star-like UFO" identical to Dean's was seen over Winsted on June 24, 1907.)


On Monday, June 27, 2005, at 9:25 p.m., Shannon Holt was at her home in Kill Devils Hills, North Carolina (population 5,897), on the Atlantic Ocean shore north of Cape Hatteras, when she had a UFO encounter.

Shannon reported, "When I first saw the object, I was standing facing south and moved outside of my porch. I saw that the object was moving up and over the sky and turned east-northeast to face it. I was watching outside of my screened-in front porch. I was facing south towards the K-Mart that is located a few houses down at the end of my street, thinking about how I wished they didn't have so many lamps in that parking lot."

"Suddenly, in the distance, above and to the right of the street lamp, I noticed the object in the sky. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, and then the object darted back and forth as it continued to move further up into the sky."

"It was strange-looking. The best way I can describe it is to say it looked like an orb. It did not have any bright lights or anything. The only light it did give off was a very soft whitish glow which may or may not have come directly from the object. It could have been reflecting light from below--or from the night sky."

"It also seemed to blend in with the sky, which I think would have made it difficult for a lot of people to take notice. Also, there was no sound whatsoever. I was only able to see it for less than a minute before it disappeared behind some clouds."

"It was about 9:25 p.m., and the sky was partly cloudy as there was a thunderstorm that afternoon, though by evening there were more storms passing through though still off in the distance. I first noticed the object at about a 40-degree angle from the ground. I am unsure to explain the (object's) speed except to say it seemed to me it covered a great deal of distance in only 60 seconds until it disappeared into the clouds over the beach."

Kill Devil Hills, N.C. is on Highway BR-158, located about 250 miles (400 kilometers) east of Raleigh. (Email Form Report)


On Tuesday, June 28, 2005, at 9:45 p.m., Kim Gresham spotted a night saucer hovering over her hometown of Bulverde, Texas.

"It was a black object with a light at the bottom, which was found to have a halo effect," Kim reported, "It was hovering in the eastern sky, then it floated southward. The object remained stationary for approximately 20 minutes. Its shape was not at all distinctive, mainly circular. However, it was silver in color."

"Before 'floating off,' its light/halo began to take on an azure color. Later in the evening, it became more of a shade of orange." (Email Form Report)

On Friday, June 24, 2005, at 11 p.m., eyewitness Doug R. reported, "I was night-fishing in Port O'Connor, Texas (population 1,200) with my two sons. Between 11 p.m. and midnight, we saw four lights moving. One light was by itself. We saw it while it was just overhead. It was very high, a solid white/yellow light. No noise, no red, green or strobe lights. Move very fast from a southwesterly direction towards the northeast."

"The other three lights were in a triangular formation, also very high. No noise, no other colored lights and very fast. They moved in formation from the northeast to the southwest."

"The first light was by itself and was at about 80 degrees up (from the horizon--J.T.), moving from southwest to northeast."

"The formation of three lights was about 70 degrees up and moved in formation from northeast to southwest about 15 to 30 minutes after the first one departed. Each sighting lasted about 15 seconds."

Port O'Connor is on Highway 185, on the shores of East Matagorda Bay, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northeast of Corpus Christi. (Email Form Report)


"Last night (Friday, July 1, 2005), I was fishing at Lake Hall, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of Hollis, Oklahoma (population 2,264)," reported Mr. Blake, the eyewitness. "After being there for some time, a line of thunderstorms began to move into the area, so I began to gather my things up and put them in the back of the truck. I had my back to the lake while picking up my tackle when suddenly there was a bright flash of lightning. Then it dawned on me that there hadn't been any crash of thunder from this particular lightning bolt, and there was still a bit of a glow left in the sky."

"So I turned around and looked, and there was this saucer-shaped thing hovering over the lake. It didn't make a sound but seemed to be greenish-yellow in color and had a small protrusion attached to the bottom."

"I was where I had stood around to watch it, but suddenly I was overcome with fear and jumped into my truck and got the hell out of there. I've been in combat before, but I'd never felt fear like this before."

On Saturday, July 2, 2005, "after I calmed down, I called a friend of mine who had been interested in UFOs for a long time and told him what happened. He told me that there was a local fella named Jim Hickman that studied UFOs, and that I should look him up on the Internet."

"When I told Jim what the thing had looked like, he said it sounded a lot like the one seen near Willow, Oklahoma some time ago." Upon visiting Jim Hickman's Web site, Blake added, "I shouted, 'Holy shit! That's it!' out loud. Sorry for my language, but that's what I said at the time."

Hollis is on Highway 62 in southwestern Oklahoma about 125 miles (208 kilometers) southwest of Oklahoma City. (Many thanks to Jim Hickman, executive director of Skywatch International, for this report.)


On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 11:30 p.m., eyewitness Deb Nixon reported, "I had just gotten off work" in London, Ontario, Canada (population 325,646) "and was outside talking to my husband, who also witnessed the sighting. We were facing south, and I happened to look up to the west when a bright light seemed to be coming down very fast out of the sky."

"I pointed this out to my husband. And we both watched it immediately begin to fade. It looked as if it was going back up into the sky very rapidly until we could no longer see it. The total time of the sighting was under 15 seconds. There was no noise, and the night was uncommonly clear for our area. There were many stars visible."

London, Ont. is on Provincial Highway 2 approximately 132 miles (211 kilometers) southwest of Toronto, Canada's largest city. (Email Form Report)


On Sunday, June 26, 2005, the eyewitness, Mr. Fosdike, was at his home in Lytchett Matravers, Poole, Dorset, UK, "sitting and watching the climax of a film on television at midnight, and I heard the extremely loud rumble of an engine near my home. I opened my blinds and saw the extremely large low-flying object heading extremely fast through the sky. It covered my garden, went through the trees and turned northwest. It was flashing two white lights and was alternating between a red and blue one as it flew."

"It disappeared from view behind some leaves before reappearing roughly five minutes later. I sat and waited for the UFO to return, and it did at about 12:35 a.m. It flew across the sky at a very high altitude before disappearing out of my view southeastwards. I would say it was large, at least 20 metres (66 feet) across. Its approach speed was 150 miles per hour, and its departure speed was 250 miles per hour."

A UFO was seen the following day, Monday, June 27, 2005, at 3 p.m., in the seaport city of Liverpool.

"My colleague had popped out of her office for her usual cigarette break and called me outside to look at something she said was in the sky," eyewitness Russ Fewtrell reported, "I went outside and I saw four very bright, almost star-like lights that were in a strange formation directly above the building over the river Mersey. The objects at first did not seem to be moving, but, after a few minutes, it became clear that these things were tracking east across the sky."

"The afternoon was exceptionally clear with very bright sunshine, but the objects could be made out with the naked eye."

"What startled me was the altitude these objects were at, as I glimpsed several high-altitude aircraft that passed over at least 25,000 to 28,000 feet (7,500 to 8,400 meters) high."

"My immediate thought was that these were either high-altitude balloons or possibly weather balloons, but I was not convinced, simply because they moved east and broke formation and seemed to move closer together again and then further apart whilst moving very slowly. We studied them for over half an hour until at this point the two top objects broke away from the bottom two and started heading in a southwesterly direction but seemed to climb higher into the sky."

"All the time we watched, we witnessed no vapour trails (condensation trails or contrails in the USA-- J.T.)--no flashing lights and no sound. The objects were visible for over 45 minutes before they totally and suddenly vanished from sight at around 3:55 p.m."

"The most unusual thing I witnessed was that while I was following their movement across the sky, I saw at least a further six or seven of these things, but faintly lit, as if they were some distance away--possibly very high indeed. These other shapes were only visible around one or two minutes before they faded away. All I can confirm is that these things were also tracking east across the sky."

"There were several eyewitnesses who saw these events, but unfortunately we could not magnify the objects as we had no binoculars. I am reporting this sighting mostly because I have never experienced anything like this before, and I wondered if anyone else in the Wurral/Liverpool area managed to see these objects." (Email Form Report)


On Sunday, June 26, 2005, at 5:50 p.m., Mrs. M.S. Gumelar was doing her housework at her home in Graha Yasa Asri, Serva Sawangan Depok district, West Java, Indonesia when her daughter came rushing in.

"When my daughter told me there was something in the sky, I went outside," Mrs. Gumelar reported, "My neighbours had already looked at it, so I quickly looked up and scanned the sky. It looked to me something like a meteor coming down but slowly. So I quickly went inside, took my DVD camcorder and I recorded a few seconds of its descent."

"After talking with my neighbours, I decided to download it to my personal computer. I still have the original images on DVD-RW."

"Later that evening, my family and I watched the news on television. There was no airplane crash or meteor strike anywhere in Indonesia. Because if it was a meteor, it must have been a very large meteor, and there was no sound of an explosion. I don't know what it was." (Email Form Report)


"A family returning home to Santiago de Chile witnessed the road and the surrounding countryside become 'illuminated' by a 'light.' They still cannot explain what happened."

"Sunday night (June 26, 2005) turned into daytime for a few moments, at least for members of the Abdo family. As they returned to Santiago de Chile from the city of Loreto, where they had spent the weekend, 'the road and the surrounding countryside lit up mysteriously' only a few minutes before the Vuelta de la Barranca road sign."

"'I saw a tremendous glow that turned the area into daylight. We could see clearly into the fields on either side of our car, both front and back and to the sides,' said Gaby Dahey, Carlos Abdo's wife and mother of Carlitos," in an interview with the Chilean newspaper El Liberal.

"The vehicle's occupants explained that the 'light' had a 'soft sky-blue color' that came 'from above,' although they were unable to see any other vehicle that could be identified."

"Carlitos revealed that he saw a white swath on the horizon similar to the one left in the wake of a jet airliner."

"The car and its occupants traveled for a distance of 200 meters (660 feet) with 'everything lit up' around them. The 'brightness' disappeared as suddenly as it emerged. Darkness enveloped the car once more, and the car's headlights continued to illuminate a small area of the highway."

"Only a few years ago, residents of the area claimed to have seen UFOs along the highway." (See the Chilean newspaper El Liberal for June 27, 2005. Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Martha Rosenthal por este articulo de diario.)


"Witches don't exist, but there's no denying they're out there. In Cordoba, an operator for a factory located on Route 13 claims having seen just such an apparition."

"His name is Cristian Howard Godoy, an employee of Grupo Pilar, and he claims he had a run-in with a witch."

"'It occurred some 7 meters (23 feet) from the (factory) bathroom. It wore black clothing and a hood. The face was aged and white as chalk, and it had something quite huge inside its gown. I took a quick look and got out quickly.'"

"The event took place two weeks ago (mid-June 2005-- J.T.)."

"But yesterday (Wednesday, June 29, 2005) the entire city of Cordoba was mystified by an alleged new apparition. The police stated that no reports were received on the matter."

"Corporate management was clear: 'We do not wish to have this turn into a never-ending story. We want to nip it in the bud.'"

"Beyond any disturbance that the subject may cause, the fact remains that Cristian's story remains a cause for concern among local residents."

Cordoba is the capital of the province of the same name, located 400 kilometers (250 miles) west-northwest of Buenos Aires, Argentina's capital. (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Cristian Quintero del grupo Planeta UFO para estas noticias.)

(Editor's Comment: The black-clad entity in Cordoba sounds like a relative of El Loco de los Techos (Spanish for Rooftop Madman--J.T.), the black-clad "Springheeled Jack" who terrorized northern Argentina back in March 2005. See UFO Roundup, volume 10, number 10 for March 9, 2005, "Real-life 'Nightcrawler' terrorizes city in Argentina," page 2, and UFO Roundup, volume 10, number 11 for March 16, 2005, "Rooftop Madman strikes again in Santa Fe, Argentina," page 2.)


"At first glance, Walt Temple thought the animal he saw hopping through the city" of South Bend, Indiana (population 107,789) "was a deer."

"'But then, why would it be on its hind legs?' he asked."

"It turns out a deer wouldn't be hopping on its hind legs. But a kangaroo would."

"So he called the South Bend Animal Rescue and Control on Monday," June 27, 2005, "to let them know how he thought he just saw a kangaroo and not far from the South Bend Regional Airport."

"'I didn't believe him,' animal control officer Sumyr Springfield said."

"Then Springfield, who was first on the scene, saw the top of the kangaroo's head. It was time to call for backup. Additional officers began scouring the backyards and looking into drainpipes, looking for the kangaroo."

"The search continued Tuesday," June 28, 2005, "although officials don't know where the animal could have come from."

"The Potawatomi Zoo said it was not missing any animals, and airport officials said they did not know of any missing kangaroos. Kim Lucas, a supervisor with Animal Control, said the kangaroo is likely not a danger to anyone."

"'It will likely run away from people,' she said."

Mary Lou Jones-Drown, UFO Roundup's crazy crocs expert, noted that South Bend was the site of an out-of- place alligator incident two weeks ago.

South Bend is on Indiana Highways 51 and 933, located approximately 87 miles (139 kilometers) east of Chicago. (See the Cloquet, Minn. Pine-Journal for June 29, 2005, "Kangaroo on the loose.")


"The white plane, with its baby-blue striping, spends hours and hours circling over Lodi," California (population 57,000). But the plane isn't from the city. It's not even from California. The plane has traveled all the way from Delaware to move in slow circles over Lodi."

"It doesn't exactly blend in. The city is small enough that when a medical helicopter makes one pass overhead, citizens look up. When gang problems flare and local police officers turn up with the California Highway Patrol to make use of a helicopter, police dispatchers are besieged with calls from citizens."

"So when this plane began circling over Lodi four weeks ago--around the time scores of FBI agents converged on the city to conduct a terrorism investigation--people took notice."

"'He's doing something. He's doing some reconnaissance,' said Lodi resident and pilot Arlene Farley, who even got curious enough to peer up at one of the planes. What the planes are doing remains a mystery, though most people believe the activity coincides with the FBI investigation that led to the arrests of five Lodi men" recently.

"In other parts of the country, small planes have flown in circles over cities also under investigation for ties to domestic and international terrorism. How long will the planes stay in Lodi?"

"What are they doing? Why are they here? Can they really see anything from that high up in the sky?"

(Editor's Comment: You'd better believe it. Cameras aboard a National Security Agency (NSA) Keyhole satellite can read the numerals on your wristwatch from an altitude of 200 miles.)

"Assuming they're government-run...just how much are they costing taxpayers?"

"Some of the questions go unanswered as federal and state officials remain mum."

"At least one question, however, is partially answered--though this leads to only more questions."

"One of the planes circling over Lodi is leased to a Delaware company. Northwest Aircraft Leasing Corp. is based in Newark, Delaware (population 28,547), according to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) research. The company lists an address, but it only leads to a box at a mailing store."

"Northwest Leasing isn't listed with the Better Business Bureau's Web site, but it does reveal that several other ventures, including on-line weight-loss programs, share the same address. One says it has a 'Dept. 357,' another simply uses the mailing address. An airplane company lists 'PMB 319,' otherwise known as a mailbox."

"A Lodi businessman and public figure, who doesn't want his name used because he thought people would think he's crazy, said he called the FAA and asked about the planes and was told that the planes were likely listening to cell phone conversations and using infrared (devices) to track people. He was also told that the planes were flying out of Hayward (population 140,030) airport."

"When given the tail number of the Delaware-based plane," a local FAA official, "who is known to the area and didn't know where Lodi was, initially said it didn't matter and that the plane was being based at the airport. Area airports had no records of the plane, either."

"Local and federal law enforcement officials aren't saying much. FBI spokesman Angel Armstrong wouldn't comment on the plane" and denied most of what the Lodi businessman had said.

(Editor's Note: Here's more proof that this is an intelligence operation. "Angel Armstrong"--the all- American girl, right? Spooks use these alphabetized code names when they're hiding their real identities...Angel Armstrong, Beth Barksdale, Cindy Caldwell, Danielle Dunn...get the idea? This, plus the "blind drop" in Newark, Delaware, proves that Lodi is an ongoing intelligence operation, which may or may not be run by the FBI.)

"'It sounds like this is a bunch of people theorizing amid some speculation, and that would be considered part of an ongoing investigation, and we're not going to comment on very much at all,' she said."

"When asked about the plane earlier this month (June 2005), Keith Slotter, former FBI Special Agent in Charge (SAC) of Sacramento said the agency has a number of investigative tools."

"'It's obviously surveillance of some sort,' said Lodi resident Kay Duelfer, who has been watching the plane. 'It would just be nice if they would say, 'OK, we're here; this is what we're doing.' Local officials won't talk, either."

"'I can't tell you very much about them--they're not mine,' said Lodi Police Chief Terry Adams, who also hears the plane circling overhead where he is living."

"When first asked about them earlier this month, Adams had simply replied that he couldn't comment further."

Lodi is on Highway 99 approximately 27 miles (43 kilometers) south of Sacramento, the state capital. (See the Lodi, Cal. News-Sentinel for June 29, 2005, "Mystery plane continues to circle over Lodi." Many thanks to Jose Gonzalez for forwarding this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: You know what's really depressing about this case? Here we have a government aircraft flying a surveillance mission over a small city in the USA, and the only newspaper that reported it was the News- Sentinel. No other newspaper in California carried the story. No other paper in the USA covered it, either. If you didn't read the Lodi News-Sentinel or UFO Roundup, you wouldn't know anything about it. Such is the chilling effect Zionism has had on the American news media.)


"People who are used to seeing a variety of boats moving up and down the Columbia River," which forms the boundary between Washington state and Oregon, "have recently reported seeing a UFO--of sorts."

"But it is not a vehicle from beyond our planet, although the shape of this particular Unidentified Floating Object has a definite other-worldly look to it."

"Some people are calling it a Stealth boat. The sleek, silvery craft is definitely not designed for pleasure cruises or towing water skiers. It rides very low on the water, so low it looks like some not-so-large wave could swamp it."

"It had two cockpits reminiscent of those seen on the F-117 Stealth fighter planes. And the nose of the craft culminates in a sharp point, looking more like a fighter plane than your typical ChrisCraft."

"Even though testing of the mysterious ship takes place in broad daylight, questions about who owns it, any technical information about it and its real purpose remains unanswered."

"Speculation abounds. The ship's builder, Oregon Ironworks, is both vague and tight-lipped about it when it comes to the boat, saying only that it is for 'a private customer' who wishes to remain anonymous."

"Gregg Herrington, a reporter for The Columbian, (the newspaper in Vancouver, Wash.--J.T.) "has been following the evolution of this boat for several years. He claims the original test boat, of which he has a photo, was designed for the Israeli Navy."

"Herrington says he believes the original version held a crew of three and was probably designed to move Special Forces soldiers" onto enemy beaches. "The boat recently seen on the Columbia River is visibly larger but similar in design to the model in the old photos."

"The U.S. Navy does have a $9 million contract with the Oregon Ironworks to build two boats, but a spokesman for the company says that despite looking similar to the naked eye' the boat being tested on the river and the boats destined for the Navy are 'not similar at all.'"

"Conspiracy theorists, boat lovers and military hardware enthusiasts will be trying hard to get a glimpse of the needle-nosed craft. Meanwhile, the question remains as to who, and for what purpose, it is destined for." (See The Oregonian for July 2, 2005, "Mysterious 'Stealth' boat sails the Columbia River." Many thanks to "Popeye, Bluto and Olive Oyl" for this newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: Surveillance planes...Stealth boats...the good old USA is beginning to look like Iraq, Afghanistan and...dare we say it?...Nuevo Laredo in Mexico. Oh, by the way, Jim Danvers asked me to translate a message for our friends below the Rio Grande. Here it is: Bienvenidos al Nuevo Orden Mundial.)


"Tom Cruise says there may be life beyond the stars, but it's not here yet."

"The War of the Worlds star told the German tabloid Blid that he believes intelligent life might exist beyond Earth."

"'Are you really so arrogant as to believe we are alone in this universe?' Cruise told Blid. 'Millions of stars, and we're supposed to be the only living creatures? No, there are many things out there. We just don't know."

"Cruise's publicist and sister, Lee Anne DeVette, confirmed that he made the remarks but said that the belief has nothing to do with the Church of Scientology, which they both follow."

"Some critics of the organization, which was founded by sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard, say the faith is based upon a story about alien visitors to Earth."

(Editor's Note: The L. in Hubbard's name stands for Lafayette.)

"DeVette says that's untrue. 'I'm happy to tell you (Cruise's remark) has absolutely nothing to do with Scientology,' she says. Cruise's comments just ask 'Who are we to think we're the only people, the only life forms that exist anywhere? He clearly said he has never seen aliens.'"

"Steven Spielberg, who directed War of the Worlds, also said he believes alien life exists somewhere, though if contact were ever made between the worlds, he believes the visitors would be friendly--unlike the aliens in this movie." (See USA Today for June 30, 2005, "Cruise to Earth: We're not alone," page 2D.)

From the UFO Files...


One of the best-kept secrets in Illinois Forteana is the little town of Prairie du Rocher (population 613), located on Highway 155 about 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of St. Louis.

Every year, on the Fourth of July, parapsychologists, ghost-hunters, Forteans, mystics and skeptics park their cars on the old river road between 11 p.m. and midnight in the hopes of witnessing "what no mortal has seen for (over) one hundred years--a phantom funeral procession making its way from ancient Fort de Chartres, near the Mississippi River, to a nearby cemetery."

Actually, this whole stretch of Illinois' Mississippi River shoreline has an unusual history. In 1718, an enterprising Scotsman named John Law organized the Western Company in Paris to develop France's new Louisiana Territory. From King Louis XV, Law "obtained a charter that granted complete jurisdiction over Louisiana Territory. The charter provided that 6,000 whites and 3,000 Negroes should be brought to the territory within 25 years."

First to arrive was Phillipe-Francois Renaud, "who left France in 1719 with 200 miners to search for precious stones and metals" along the Mississippi River. "En route, he stopped in Santo Domingo and bought 500 (black) slaves, a number of which were brought to Illinois."

In 1722, Renaud and his men founded a town at the base of the Mississippi River bluffs, which they called Prairie du Rocher (French for Rocky Meadow --J.T.). But the reputed rubies, sapphires, diamonds and emeralds eluded him, and Renaud "returned to France in 1742, and his slaves were sold to French colonists in this region."

Four miles (6 kilometers) to the west, on the shore of the Mississippi, Pierre Duque, Sieur de Boisbriant, began work on what became "the most formidable of all French fortresses in the Mississippi Valley. Boisbriant built the fort between 1718 and 1720 and, when it was finished, it was named Fort de Chartres, for the Duke de Chartres, the son of the French regent."

"The first fort was built of timber and soon fell into disrepair...In 1751, the French decided to erect a fortification that would be both permanent and impregnable." The French army worked on the new stone fort from 1753 to 1756. "Its massive walls were 18 feet (5.8 meters) in height and enclosed four acres of ground. Each of the four bastions had 8 embrasures, 48 loopholes (for snipers--J.T.) and a sentry box."
There was even a chapel, with a rectory for Roman Catholic clergy on the second floor.

Fort de Chartres proved its worth during the Seven Years War (1754-1761). It was from here that French troops sallied forth to capture UK's Fort Necessity--and its commander, a 22-year-old officer from Virginia named George Washington--and to destroy Gen. Braddock's army in western Pennsylvania in 1755. But UK won the war, and the 1763 Treaty of Paris ceded the Illinois country to Britain.

In 1765, Col. Louis St. Ange de Belleville surrendered the fort to a British army column commanded by Captain Thomas Stirling. The Illinois Indians wept as the Union Jack was run up the flagpole. Seven years later, in 1772, the British, finding Fort de Chartres too expensive to maintain, destroyed the outpost and returned to Canada.

But the French influence died hard in the area. "As late as 1900, French was still spoken extensively in Prairie du Rocher."

And they were still talking about Mrs. Chris' strange experience in 1889.

"On the Fourth of July, 1889, a woman named Mrs. Chris and a neighbor lady were keeping vigil over the body of Mrs. Chris's dead baby. It was nearly midnight, the air stifling hot as they rocked on the front porch of the house."

"Suddenly, the neighbor noticed in the distance a shadowy procession of people and wagons coming down the road. Wagons rolled into view, silhouetted against the full moon, their drivers unseen in the darkness. No driver or wagon carried a light or any other visible indication of their origin or intended destination. The only clue to their purpose was a casket that was being transported in a low wagon."

"As the entourage drew closer, Mrs. Chris and her friend became certain that it was indeed a funeral procession."

"The women were astonished--although they counted nearly forty wagons, followed by thirteen pairs of horsemen, the enormous cavalcade did not make a single sound! The horses' hooves were battering against the earth, clouds of dust rolled out from under the wagon wheels and the riders seemed to be talking to each other. Yet, not a sound reached the ears of the witnesses, save the soft rustling of nearby trees, a few night frogs and the barking of the family dog."

"'Oh, my God!' Mrs. Chris cried to her friend, 'If I wasn't sitting here with you seeing this, I'd swear I was dreaming.'"

"But the women were not dreaming. The neighbor woman's father had been awakened by the agitated dog and looked out the window to see the same unearthly formation rolling by. He verified the women's account of the scene early the next morning."

"Other than those three people, no one else saw the phantom funeral."

"Mrs. Chris and her friend decided to remain on the porch to see if anyone returned from the cortege's obvious destination, the old cemetery down the road. But no one came back--not one of the forty wagons or twenty-six horsemen!"

"What had the women witnessed? And who was being buried by the ghostly mourners?"

"An apparent answer came in a few days from a friend of Mrs. Chris' neighbor who was visiting from DuQuoin (population 6,448). The two women told her about the strange events of a few nights before, and the visitor recalled that her daughter had just read an account of the early days of Fort de Chartres, built in 1756 by King Louis XV, in which a prominent man had been killed in an ambush by a disgruntled resident of the fort. The specific cause of the murder was unclear, and the murderer was never apprehended."

"The people at the fort were unsure what to do with the body. A delegation made a small trek to Kaskaskia, (then) the seat of the regional (French) government, to ask how the death should be handled. They were told to bury the dead man at midnight in an obscure cemetery with only the light of the full moon to lead the way."

"Mrs. Chris and her neighbor realized that the procession they had witnessed was the ghostly re-enactment of the original event," over a century after the original had taken place.

"The current legend surrounding the ghostly funeral procession claims that only three people will be able to see the caravan in the hour before midnight on the evening of July 4. A full moon must be hanging in the night sky."

Some researchers reject the ghost theory and maintain that what the two women saw in 1889 was a time-warp. The warp opened a momentary hole in the fourth dimension, allowing Mrs. Chris and her friend to see--but not hear-- the actual midnight funeral procession that took place during July of 1756.

These Forteans visit the site every year, hoping that the time-warp will open and...if they're brave enough...they might step through and into the middle of the Eighteenth Century.

Others stick with the legend, noting that the procession didn't appear the last few times there was a full moon on the Fourth of July, namely, in 1986, 1997 and 2003. But there'll be a full moon on the Fourth again in 2014, 2025, 2031 and 2042. You just never know! (See the books Haunted Heartland by Beth Scott and Michael Norman, Barnes & Noble Books, 1992, pages 45, 46 and 47; and Illinois: A Descriptive and Historical Guide, A.C. McClurg and Co., Chicago, Ill., 1939, pages 495 and 496.)

That's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home- -UFO Roundup." See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol.10 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1027.shtml