UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 10
Number 32
August 10, 2005

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


"A man in Exeter, New Hampshire (population 9,759) claimed that he recently saw an object the size of two aircraft carriers, but some think it's nothing more than a tall tale."

"Artist Angela Gram met with the man who said that he saw the object on a recent afternoon."

"'First it started with a cylindrical shape. It was silver and metallic,' Gram said, 'And later it turned color to orange, and there were flames underneath.'"

"Gram revealed a drawing of the object based on the man's description. She said that his story was believable."

"'He was an ex-Navy pilot, and he seemed to know what he was talking about in terms of aircraft,' she said."

"The man--whose identity is also a mystery--said he didn't think police would believe him so he called the National UFO Reporting Center" in Seattle, Wash.

"In his report, he said, 'The object seemed to stretch out about twice its original size, and then, in the blink of an eye, it simply disappeared right in front of me.'"

"Over the years, there have been many other UFO sightings in New Hampshire. Some residents said they thought it's possible that there's life out there, but many aren't convinced that aliens are piloting vehicles over the New Hampshire skies."

"'I just don;t believe it,' one resident said, 'It would be nice to think about it, but it's a figment of the imagination, I think.'"

"But Gram said she's convinced that it's not a hoax and that her drawing represents what he saw."

A few days later, another eyewitness stepped forward. This time it was a woman from East Kingston, N.H. (population 400).

"It's happened again. An East Kingston resident said she saw 'a silver, cigar-shaped object' in a daytime sky last week. This time it was a homemaker who, like the first person give an account of witnessing an unidentified flying object, wished to use only her first name-- Lucienne."

"The sighting allegedly happened around noon on (Monday) July 25, 2005. Lucienne said she was standing in a meadow behind her house on North Road when she saw the long object in the sky. She described it as a 'pill shape' because it had rounded ends and was longer than it was wide."

"Dark spots lined the object, which appeared to be windows."

"Lucienne said the incident lasted for about 30 seconds, and she didn't have time to run into her house to get her binoculars."

"When she saw the object, she called for her husband, but he was too far away to hear."

"The report comes about a week after a 48-year-old Navy veteran claimed to have seen a similar object when he was in the backyard of his home in Exeter. 'David,' as he wished to be described, said he saw the object about 3 p.m. on (Wednesday) July 20 (2005). He presented a detailed report to the UFO Reporting Center in Seattle."

Lucienne said she didn't read the first article in the Exeter News-Letter about David's encounter until (Wednesday) July 27 (2005). When she read the second article about people questioning the validity of David's account, she contacted the News-Letter because, she said, she believes she saw the same object in the sky just days after his encounter."

"Like David's account, Lucienne said that, before the object disappeared, it stretched out to about twice its original size. But unlike David's account, Lucienne said the object did not change color and she did not see any flames under the object."

"Also, the 'windows' on the object did not extend to each end. Rather, each end of the object was solid and lacked windows. Lucienne wrote down her description so that she'd have documentation, but she had not submitted to UFO authorities as of Monday," August 1, 2005. (See the Exeter, N.H. News-Letter for July 27, 2005 and for August 3, 2005, "East Kingston woman reports similar UFO sighting." Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for these newspaper articles.)

(Editor's Note: Exeter, N.H., of course, is famous for the multiple large UFOs that were seen by local police and residents forty years ago, from September 3, 1965 to November 29, 1965.)


On Wednesday, August 3, 2005, at 9:45 p.m., Kyle took a break from his job at Big Bobby Brown's Restaurant, located at the southern tip of Saratoga Lake in Malta, N.Y. As he stepped outdoors, he saw something unusual in the night sky.

"Stepping outside of my workplace for some fresh air, I noticed a bright light which I immediately took for a bright planet or star," Kyle reported, "As I focused on the light, it began to change, from my perspective, from what at first looked to be a motionless/stationary light to a light moving swiftly towards the lake surface while pulling toward the west in a curved flight path."

"As it made the curved maneuver, the main white light would dim out and the red light would appear flashing in its place. At this point, it stopped, dimmed and moved off towards the east, all the while alternating between the white light and the flashing red light."

"It continued in this motion, which could in fact be interpreted as a craft with a defined mass, and took to moving over the lake in concentric loops--almost like a search pattern--all the while maintaining a personal altitude of 125 meters (412 feet) above the lake. It did, however, stop, hover and change direction intermittently, all the while returning to the loop manuever during the course of 15 minutes."

"I even made an attempt at communication. I flashed the headlights of my SUV in their direction. Tried S.O.S. in the old Morse Code. Tried flashing nine times in three sets of three (flashes). And even matched the flashing of my headlights with the flashing red light on the craft."

"As soon as I attempted communication, the craft headed swiftly towards the south-southwest and dropped behind the treeline. No engine noise was heard. In fact, there weren't any other aircraft during the entire time."

Malta, N.Y. is on Route 9 approximately 10 miles (16 kilometers) south of Saratoga Springs, N.Y. (Email Form Report)


On Saturday, July 30, 2005, at 11:15 p.m., Mark N. reports, "Me and my girlfriend were sitting in my truck, looking at the stars" in Escondido, California (population 133,559). "Earlier in the day, we saw some lightning in the distance, and I saw what I thought was an airplane flying over. But it didn't have any flashing (navigation) lights. It was one color, maybe a yellowish-orange color. I thought it was a little strange because it was moving at a different speed than an airplane. I thought it might have been a helicopter."

"By then, my girlfriend was watching it, too. We were both trying to think of what type of aircraft it might be."

"After maybe 10 minutes of watching this, the light suddenly stopped moving. It wasn't too high in the air, but it wasn't too low, either. It was just stopped. Then it moved a little down to the left and then slowly to the right. And then it just faded out for good and was gone. By then, we were both freaked out as to what it might be."

"After about a minute and a half of sitting still, it dropped a quick light--like a lighted ball or something-- really fast, and it went straight down. Then it started moving along its original path, but then faded back a little bit, and then just faded out for good and was gone."

"We sat for a little bit longer to see if there was anything else. But it was gone, and the sky was still clear like it had been before. I thought it might have been an airplane or a helicopter dropping people or boxes. But the object disappeared too quickly, and it was too high and too fast."

"I've been around airplanes my whole life as my family are pilots," Mark added, "I've never seen anything that looks like what I saw. The way it moved and faded was just so unreal."

Escondido, Cal. is on Highway 78 about 25 miles (40 kilometers) northeast of San Diego.

On Sunday, July 31, 2005, Kari Lasee and her two friends were fishing on the Stanislaus River in California when they had a UFO encounter.

Kari reported, "Two friends and I were fishing in the Stanislaus River at approximately 3 a.m. when a very bright star appeared. We saw it directly overhead. We were kind of stargazing, too. We'd seen a few falling stars earlier (Saturday, July 30, 2005) in the evening. It stayed in one place and went a little to one side, then the other."

"Suddenly, it vanished by flying straight up, and the light got dimmer and dimmer."

"A few seconds later, it reappeared close by and did the same thing. It was a bright white light, and it looked like a star."

Kari and her friends were fishing in Riverbank, Cal. (population 15,826), a town on Highways 108 and 120, about 7 miles (11 kilometers) northeast of Modesto. (Email Form Reports)


On Sunday, July 31, 2005, at 9:45 p.m., "hundreds of residents of the bairro Cidade Tiradentes (neighborhood) in Sao Paulo, saw a strange object in the sky near the planet Jupiter but closer to the horizon. Onlookers described it as 'a UFO of a greenish color which slowly flew from north to south over Cidade Tiradentes. It flew at a constant velocity, similar to that of a satellite, and on a strict trajectory.'"

"At first, the object seemed like a bright star positioned near Jupiter. But as it began to move, people realized that it was a UFO. This sighting lasted for approximately five minutes."

"The object was also seen over Viaduto da Cha in the central city."

"When last seen, the object disappeared over the southern horizon in the direction of Sao Caetano do Sul."

Sao Paulo is the capital of Brazil's state of Sao Paulo and is located about 500 kilometers (300 miles) southwest of Rio de Janeiro. With a population of 8 million, Sao Paulo is the largest city in South America. (Muito obrigado a Brunilda Barros e Mauro de Rezende por eso caso.)


On Sunday, July 24, 2005, at 10:50 p.m., Alfred Stevenson parked his van on the main street of Meeniyan, Victoria state, Australia when he spotted something strange in the northern night sky.

"We were on holiday in Victoria," Alfred reported, "It appeared from the north. We were going to the van, which was parked on Meeniyan's main street. I opened the door and grabbed my camera and took three photos of it. We watched it go (south) until it was out of sight. It was not as fast as an aircraft."

"When we checked the photos on our home computer, they were different from what we saw (at the time--J.T.). There was only the last one that looked like what we saw. It had a cigar shape, looked like fire all around, and there was no sound. I got three photos of it. It was about 1,000 feet (300 meters) high, and it was moving at 80 kilometers per hour (50 miles per hour--J.T.)." (Email Form Report)


Massachusetts "officials are investigating the discovery of a human hand in the woods of Bridgewater (population 6,664)."

"Authorities said the hand--apparently severed just above the wrist--was found last weekend (Saturday and Sunday, July 30 and 31, 2005) by two people who were walking in the wooded area off Scotland Street."

(Editor's Note: This is very close to Lake Nipenicket, a UFO hotspot.)

"A forensic anthropologist determined that the hand was indeed human. But who it may have belonged to remains a mystery."

"DNA tests may reveal whether it was a man or a woman."

"The Plymouth County District Attorney's Office said the hand could have been in the woods for several years, but a search of the area by police Monday," August 1, 2005, "found no other human remains."

Bridgewater is at the heart of the "Bridgewater Triangle," a hotspot of constantly occurring paranormal phenomena. The Triangle is an area of about 200 square miles in southeastern Massachusetts, with the towns of Abington, Rehoboth and Freetown at the corners. Contained within the Triangle are the communities of Bridgewater, West Bridgewater, North Middleboro, Segregansett, Dighton, North Dighton, Berkley, Myricks, Raynham, Taunton and East Taunton. Phenomena reported within the Triangle include low-flying UFOs, Bigfoot sightings, cattle mutilations, gigantic birds, black helicopters, mystery booms and ghostly apparitions.

"This is a weird one, almost like those 'human mutilation' UFO cases in Brazil's Sao Paulo state back in 1968, which Scott Corrales wrote about," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "No telling who could be the culprit. An unknown cult sacrificing one of its members. One of the 'crazy crocs' seen at Lake Nipenicket. Or maybe a crew of Reptoids dining on some unfortunate abductee. Let's see where this case goes--if anywhere." (See the WJAR-TV Channel 10 News of Providence, R.I. broadcast for August 2, 2005, and the Taunton, Mass. Daily Gazette for August 3, 2005, "Hand found in Bridgewater is human." Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for the newspaper article.)


"Christians are flocking to a northwestern town to view an image of Jesus Christ that allegedly appeared in a section of a cut tree branch" on Wednesday, July 27, 2005.

"The image resembling Jesus' face cannot be seen from a close distance but only from a few meters away. The branch in the town of Bijeljina," located in northwestern Bosnia-Hercegovina 150 kilometers (90 miles) north of Sarajevo, "was cut about a year ago."

"Skeptics have dismissed the image as a freak of nature, but pilgrims have been streaming to the tree, kneeling before it to pray, lighting candles, leaving money and cutting off bark to take home."

"Bishop Andrija Vasilije of the Serbian Orthodox Church visited the site and said church officials would discuss the phenomenon and advise believers how to behave. He appealed to visitors not to destroy the tree and not to leave money at the site." (See the Serbian newspaper Oslobodjenje for July 29, 2005, "Pilgrims flock to image of Jesus on a tree in Bosnia." Many thanks to Aimee Kokotovic for this newspaper article.)


"Larry and Sue Hartman found a surprising guest in their fish pond" in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania (population 17,862)--"a two-and-a-half foot (70 centimeter long) alligator."

"A neighbor caught the reptile and put it in a cooler."

"The Hartmans suspect that the alligator had once been a pet that was released by its owner. It was sent to the Catoctin Zoo in Thurmont, Maryland (population 5,588)."

This is the latest in a long-running series of out- of-place alligators, better known to Forteans as the crazy croc syndrome or the crazy crocs. In 2005 alone, alligators have been sighted or caught outside of their native habitat in places as diverse as Washington state, West Virginia and the Bridgewater Triangle in southeastern Massachusetts.

Chambersburg is on Route 11 about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Harrisburg, the state capital. (See USA Today for August 5, 2005, "Across the USA-- Pennsylvania," page 10A.)


On Monday, August 1, 2005, at 10:15 p.m., Ahmed Atiya and his 15-year-old son were walking along Southdale Road in London, Ontario, Canada (population 325,646) when they spotted a mysterious "red glow" in the sky.

"The object appeared to be moving westward at first and then changed to eastward," Ahmed reported, "Me and my 15-year-old son were taking a walk because of the weather. Our house is located on nearby Birchwood Drive. All of a sudden, we saw a red glow in the sky, behind what seemed like very thick clouds on a clear night. We first assumed it was lightning because we could see that it was behind the clouds, but, as we looked further, we realized that the light was still there."

"We decided to go westward and head home. Then we noticed that the (red) light was following us. It did not seem to be coming closer or moving further away from us. But it just kept following behind us at the same distance."

"One interesting thing is that it was behind the only visible clouds in the entire sky. It seemed to be pulling the clouds along with it. I estimate that it was at an altitude of 100 feet (30 meters) and was travelling at 60 kilometers per hour (36 miles per hour--J.T.)."

London, Ont. is on Provincial Highway 4 approximately 132 miles (201 kilometers) west of Toronto, Canada's largest city. (Email Form Report)


"For years it has been the source of paranormal events and 'urban legends.'" in Santiago de Chile, the national capital. "Thanks to its majestic architecture, it was soon to be turned into a restaurant. But a fire, apparently arson, destroyed its mysterious past."

"Neither the ghostly spirits from legend nor the Nunoa Fire Department, representing those on 'this side,' was able to keep the Casa Mujica (mansion), better known as 'the bewitched house,' from burning mercilessly to the ground."

"According to Carlos Gajardo, deputy district attorney of the (suburban) communities of Nunoa, Providencia and La Reina, the probability that the fire, which started at 4 a.m., was the result of an electrical malfunction was dismissed."

"'The information that we have is that it could be arson. It was well-known that this was an abandoned property, and the main cause of fire, which can be (electrical) short circuits, was discarded in this case,'" Gajardo said.

"But what was the motive? That is the question the Nunoa Fire Department is unable to answer as of yet. What is clear is that the firebug's intent was to destroy the mansion utterly."

"'Destruction was complete. It was a very intense blaze that consumed the property completely. We are still investigating the cause and the point of origin,' explained Denis Cohn, commander of the Nunoa Fire Department."

"The mansion has attracted curiosity-seekers willing to hear the gruesome tales that have been spread about it, and tourists hoping to catch a glimpse of some shadow moving across its windows."

"For this reason, and to keep the curiosity-seekers safe from injury, Cohn ordered people to keep their distance because 'the place was left in a very dangerous state. There is a risk of walls and ceilings caving in. All necessary precautions to seal off the site have been taken."

"The curse that weighs heavily over the building is an old one. Its unique architectural style was interesting when it was built in 1915 by the Suarez Mujica family on a 1,600-square-meter plot of land that would serve as the seat of the owner of the vast estancia (large ranch--J.T.) that was Nunoa at the time."

"Elvira Suarez de Mujica, neice of the first owner of the house, lived there for more than a decade before her death. After her passing, the property was inherited by her seven children, who decided not to live there and left it to the Charles & Aubrey brokerage firm. The mansion was up for sale for many years without any takers. Some say it was due to the exorbitant asking price; others say that the rascally ghosts kept the future tenants away."

"The latest incident involving the house was earlier this year (2005) when the Macal Engineering firm took over the abandoned property to give it a better look. The manion was rented at $145 million and finally sold for $300 million on (Wednesday) July 27, 2005 to an anonymous buyer."

"Although the property is best remembered for its lugubrious, unkempt appearance, it was speculated that the mansion would be remodeled and turned into a restaurant and special events facility."

"That was until this morning when, after hearing a strange noise, the night watchman who cared for the property realized that the fire was out of control and fled his post." (See the Chilean newspaper La Nacion for August 2, 2005, "The gruesome Mujica mansion now lies in ashes." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales por este articulo de diario.)


"Could the legendary phenomenon Bigfoot by lurking in Kosciusko County" in northern Indiana?

"One man believes he could be, though he's never seen him himself."

"Mike Bardsley's son first encountered" Bigfoot in June 2003 near the family's home in North Webster, Indiana (population 1,067).

"'They shined the flashlight at it, and it was really long and furry,' says Bardsley, "'That's when they started realizing there's legs on the end of it, and it's a long body, and that's when it started to put its arms down and push itself up. They just turned and ran straight home to the trailer.'"

"Then, several months later, his son and two friends were meeting in nearby wetlands. 'It stood up in place. They clearly stated that what they saw appeared to be in the 8-foot (2.4-meter-tall) range, large shoulders, nimble hands, the long arms at the end. But in the instant that it stood up, it turned on its heels and ran due east out of their range.'"

"Mike Bardsley has never seen it himself, but others have. His search is a full-time hobby."

"'If Sasquatch does not exist, then what are thousands of people seeing?' asks Bardsley."

"Plaster of Paris is always on hand to record footprints."

"Bardsley has set up his own Web site--Indiana Bigfoot Awareness Group."

"Bardsley says he has got laughed at a lot, but a few who've laughed also claim that they've heard stories from friends who say they've seen a similar living creature."

North Webster is on Indiana Highway 13 about 40 miles (64 kilometers) northwest of Fort Wayne. (See the WNDU-TV Channel 16 News Center of South Bend, Indiana broadcast of August 5, 2005, "Could Bigfoot be lurking in Indiana?" Many thanks to Loren Coleman for the WNDU-TV transcript.)


On Tuesday, August 2, 2005, at approximately 3:15 a.m. Eastern time, a TV camera aboard the space shuttle Discovery captured an image of a descending saucer on the night side of Earth.

"DirectTV Satellite Channel 376," showing live NASA footage, "was broadcasting a shot from the shuttle of the darkened Earth, where only the city lights could be seen apart from the faint corona around the edge of the globe."

The original eyewitness said he "could not tell if it was live feed or not."

"That went on for roughly five minutes from the time I turned on, and then, suddenly, an extremely bright solid white disc appeared in the lower portion of the screen and shot inward, towards the Earth, at terrific speed, leaving a tracer (a trail of light--J.T.) on the camera in its wake."

"As soon as this happened, the feed went blank and returned to the standard (NASA) map of the globe showing the orbital path of the shuttle."

"It was definitely not space debris, was perfect in shape, appeared to be self-luminous and moved at a terrific velocity away from the camera, towards Earth, getting smaller as it went." (Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this news story.)


The crew of the space shuttle Discovery pulled off an unprecedented spacewalk last week in an attempt to remove two stubs of heat seal that could prove dangerous to the spacecraft's re-entry.

"Two stubs of heat seal were sticking out about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) from the shuttle's underside. The loose bits of seal, which fill gaps between the tiles on the ship's belly, could disturb the flow of air around Discovery as it re-enters the atmosphere. That could lead to dangerously high temperatures on the shield."

"NASA is also analyzing a section of the heat shield that appears to have been torn by debris during Discovery's ascent last week. Deputy shuttle program manager Wayne Hale said the concern is that the ragged panel of heat-resistant fabric could rip away during" the shuttle's re-entry.

"To fix the heat seals, astronaut Stephen Robinson will ride the International Space Station's robotic arm to the shuttle's belly," then "make the repair positioned a foot away from the shuttle, bending at the knees to stay steady."

"'That came out very easily,' astronaut Stephen Robinson said, after pulling out the second piece of seal. 'It looks like this big patient is cured.'"

"It took him only 10 minutes to draw out the first piece, move across the shuttle's underside and draw out the second."

"Robinson brought the gap fillers back to Discovery so NASA can analyze them upon the crew's return."

"Mission managers hesitated to send Robinson in a bulky suit and helmet to float within inches of the shuttle's fragile belly tiles. One slip could have created more damage."

"After all the hand-wringing, Robinson made the job look easy. He didn't need the forceps, hacksaw or scissors he carried in case the head seals resisted the tug of his fingers. Most important, neither he nor his tools so much as brushed against the tiles."

Robinson remarked upon the shuttle's beauty from his vantage point.

"'Maybe you have to be an old aerodynamicist like me, but the surface of this belly is just a work of art,' he said, hovering near the shuttle's black underside."

"Robinson rode to the repair sites standing at the end of the International Space Station's robotic arm, which was guided by Discovery crewmates James Kelly and Wendy Lawrence."

"During the trip, the only things between Robinson and emptiness of outer space were a few tethers and a platform as small as a desk blotter, onto which his feet were strapped."

"Once he reached the shuttle, orbiting 220 miles (352 kilometers) above Earth, there were no handholds, only the smooth curve of the ship's belly. To get Robinson to the right angle and distance for the repair, Kelly and Lawrence moved the robotic arm a few inches at a time."

"'Vegas, that was the ride of the century,' Robinson said, addressing Kelly by his nickname." (See USA Today for August 3, 2005, "Delicate repair today underneath Discovery," page 7A and USA Today for August 4, 2005, "Shuttle gets tummy tuck but may need more work," page 4A.)


Also last week, the robot spacecraft Cassini performed another flyby past Saturn's small, heavily- cratered moon, Mimas, taking more closeup images of a sphere that looks more like a derelict alien Death Star than a moon.

"No, it's not Star Wars' Death Star. But Mimas, one of Saturn's moons, offers up its own dramatic story, NASA scientists say."

"Passing by the battered moon at a distance of 142,500 miles (228,000 kilometers), the space agency's Cassini orbiter found that Mimas (pronounced MY-muss) boasts the most heavily cratered surface in Saturn's system."

"That surface includes the Herschel crater, an 88- mile (140-kilometer) wide cavity that dominates the 247- mile (395-kilometer) diameter icy moon. Long grooves on the surface seen in the flyby may be the result of the impact that created the massive (Herschel) crater."

"Scientists hope that cataloging Mimas' craters will provide clues about the age of Saturn's system of moons, as well as revealing something about the source of whatever hit Mimas." (See USA Today for August 8, 2005, "Massive craters seen on Saturn moon," page 6D.)


"The Mohegan Indian tribe will demolish the Norwich Masonic Temple and restore the tribal burial ground beneath the building."

"The Connecticut Council on Culture and Tourism unanimously granted the tribe's request to tear down the 77-year-old structure."

"Among those believed to be buried there is Uncas, the Seventeenth Century Mohegan chief."

Norwich (population 36,117) is on Routes 2 and 82, on the west bank of the Quinebaug River, approximately 41 miles (65 kilometers) southeast of Hartford, the state capital.

"In addition to being an occasional haunt of author Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937) because of its spooky New England Gothic architecture, Norwich has earned a place in Fortean history, as well," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "In December 1909, during L'affaire Tillinghast (better known as the New England Airship Invasion--J.T.), a bright white UFO passed over Norwich and hovered for several minutes. The object was seen by dozens of city residents. Luminous UFOs circled in the night sky over Norwich yet again in July 1921."

"On July 31, 1921, catastrophic thunderstorms swept over the New England states, causing widespread damage. Forty years later, my grandmother, Alice M. Trainor, vividly remembered the event, and I first heard about it from her. Years later, when I first read about the fall of frogs at Anton Wagner's farm in nearby Sterling, Connecticut on July 31, 1921 in The Books of Charles Fort, I realized that this was the same storm Gram had been talking about. Sterling is further north in the Quinebaug River valley, about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of Norwich." (See USA Today for August 5, 2005, "Around the USA--Connecticut," page 10A. Also the Norwich, Conn. Bulletin for December 23, 1909, page 2; and the Norwich, Conn. Globe for August 1, 1921.)


"Early on the morning of (Saturday) July 23 (2005), a fisherman from Ningbo City is eastern China's Zhejiang province was shocked by the sight of a huge creature lying dead beside the seawall near his home."

"Liu, who lives in Yangshashan of Chunxiao, a town in the province's Beilun district, and who has been a fisherman for over ten years, said, 'I have never seen such a monster; it was larger than a whale.'"

The unidentified creature "was first seen by villagers in Yangshashan on (Thursday) July 20 (2005), according to Mei, who breeds fish nearby."

The creature "is nearly 12 meters (40 feet) long and weighs around 2 tons, according to staff of the Beilun district's Bureau of Sea and Fisheries."

"The animal reportedly has a long thin head and a snout nearly one meter (3 feet, 3 inches) long."

"Partly rotten, with its spine exposed, it has been impossible to identify, but is described as having some hair, and orange stripes across a three to four-meter (10 to 13 feet) wide belly. The skull, which alone weighs over 100 kilograms (50 pounds), and coccyx of the creature have fallen from its body."

"Mei said four young people took away a 100-kilogram piece of the corpse to study, and many experts have come to inspect it, but all in vain."

"From the degree of putrefaction, the animal may have been dead for a week and was beached by Typhoon Haitang several days ago, said Hu, an official with Beilun's Sea and Fisheries Bureau."

"He said its overall structure means it's unlikely to be a fish, but the shape of its head is like a crocodile's."

"Local fishermen have their own ideas about what the animal is and where it came from."

"One called Li said it must have lived in the sea, because the skin of its chest is very much like that of many large sea animals, as thick and as hard as rubber."

"According to another named Wang, it is very much like an elephant seal, especially its mouth, and he said he once spotted elephant seals on a journey overseas five years ago."

"Many experts said that, being seriously rotten and deprived of lower limbs and tail, the monster is unlikely to be identified or to be made into a specimen."

"An expert from Ningbo University's Sea Creature Research Center, who has not seen the animal, said the possibility of it being a huge crocodile was slim, for they usually live in tropical freshwater."

(Editor's Note: On the other hand, in 1915, the captain of German U-boat U-28 spotted just such a giant crocodilian while attempting to sink the British steamer S.S. Iberian in the North Atlantic. As the torpedoes exploded, "a gigantic sea-animal, writhing and struggling wildly...shot out of the water to a height of 60 to 100 feet (18 to 30 meters)...We did not have time to take a photograph, for the animal sank out of sight after 10 or 15 seconds...It was about 18 meters (60 feet) long, was like a crocodile in shape, and had four limbs with powerful webbed feet and a long tail tapering to a point." See Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th Century by Janet and Colin Bord, Contemporary Books, Chicago, Ill., 1989, page 122.)

"He also doubted that it could be an elephant seal, saying it would be hard to explain how one got to the subtropical East China Sea from polar waters." (See the Chinese newspaper Today Morning Express for July 29, 2005, "Unidentified sea creature found after typhoon." Many thanks to Chen Jilin for this newspaper article.)


"Nineteen people were injured--three seriously--as a tornado ripped through the streets of Birmingham," the largest city in the West Midlands of UK.

"The sudden storm damaged buildings, uprooted trees and trapped people in their homes. The Met Office estimates the wind speed may have reached 130 miles per hour," making the tornado an F4 on the Fujikawa scale.

"Damage was caused in Kings Heath, with 'hundreds' of properties affected, council officials said."

"Emergency services used dogs and specialist equipment to see if anyone had been trapped in damaged buildings."

"Birmingham City Council set up a shelter at Aston University for people made temporarily homeless to spend the night."

"An ambulance spokesperson said: 'The Ambulance Service has removed approximately 20 heart patients to Heartlands Hospital, Selly Oak Hospital and Dudley.'"

"'One child was taken to Birmingham Children's Hospital. None of the injuries are believed to be life- threatening, although three patients were more seriously injured with fractures.'"

"'Numerous casualties have been treated on scene by ambulance crews and medics, many roads are blocked by fallen trees and ambulance staff were running on foot to reach casualties.'"

West Midlands Fire Service said the areas affected" by the tornado "included Kings Heath, Moseley, Quinton, Balsall Heath and Sparkbrook."

"Caroline Ward, from the Jon Carrie Nursery in Moseley, said the tornado ripped out fences and toys were whipped into the air."

"'Luckily, we got the children all inside but they were very frightened,' she told the BBC News."

"Julia Banner, who works in a care home in Moseley, said: 'All of a sudden it got dark, the front door blew open and all the notices blew off the notice board. The kitchen window was open and all the crockery smashed to the floor.'"

"'It all happened in just a couple of minutes. There is a tree through a car and trees on houses--it looks like something from a film set.'"

"A Met Office spokesperson said: 'From the reports we have heard, we would estimate that this is a tornado with a rating of T3-T4, that would mean it had wind speeds of between 93 to 114 miles per hour for T3 and 114 to 130 miles per hour for T4. A typical description would be that motorcars were lifted and destroyed, roofs removed from buildings and weak buildings destroyed.'"

"'We have an average of 33 reports of tornadoes in the UK each year, but these are especially rare in built- up areas and there has not been one of this strength in many years. City centres are not the natural habitat of a tornado; the tall buildings would normally stop their formation.'"

Eyewitnesses contributed their accounts of the Birmingham tornado.

"'I was in my flat in Moseley when I noticed the rain becoming much heavier and the wind building up,'" Neil Drury reported, '"I went to the window to look out when suddenly my ears popped. The wind got much stronger and large trees were bending back and forth. Bits of roofing were blowing past the window of my first floor flat. I went away from the window as a piece of slate blew through it. On going outside, I found the road blocked by fallen trees and several cars were crushed.'"

"'The tornado hit us at Grantham Road, Sparkbrook. It was like something out of a movie!'" Eve Hemingway reported, "'As I looked at what seemed to be heavy rainfall and thunder, I saw a roof flying through the air, followed by a window and debris. My immediate reaction was to run! (Later) When I went to inspect the area, I could not believe the devastation. Trees were completely uprooted and Farm Park was completely cordoned off by fallen trees with helpless people stuck in the middle of the park.'"

Clive Whittaker reported, "'I heard things hitting the window, I thought it was hail. I looked up to see what I thought were leaves moving round in a circle about 50 metres (165 feet) across. I realised that they were stones and roof tiles. The window next door smashed so we sheltered in the corridor until it passed.'"

"The big mystery here is why this tornado received zero news coverage in the USA," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor commented, "Birmingham is one of the largest cities in UK. Let's use a large American city as a comparison. Try to imagine an F4 tornado coming down on Wrigley Field in Chicago and then tear-assing over to South Michigan Avenue and all the way up to Loyola University, demolishing the Sears Tower and scattering the pieces halfway across Lake Michigan. That's what happened in Birmingham. And no mention in the American news media? The same media which at least gave some mention to the incredible one-day monsoon that flooded Mumbai the previous week? Is there some kind of news blackout on these catastrophic weather events? Hmmmm. (See BBC News for July 28, 2005, "Tornado injures 19 in Birmingham." Many thanks to David Latham for this news report.)


"Saturn's icy moon Enceladus spews a mysterious water vapor cloud from its south pole, seen up close by NASA's Cassini spacecraft."

"Geothermal 'hot spots' on the moon, only 310 miles (516 kilometers) in diameter, may be responsible, says Torrence Johnson of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory" in Pasadena, California.

"The moon's ice-covered south pole lacks craters, indicating it has been freshly resurfaced and appears strewn with house-size ice boulders."

"Flying within 109 miles (175 kilometers) of the moon in July (2005), the spacecraft spotted large fractures called 'tiger stripes,' surprisingly warmer" at 261 degrees below zero on the Fahrenheit scale, "than the moon's equator," where it's a chilly 316 degrees below zero.

"'This is astonishing, as if we'd flown past Earth and found that the Antarctic was warmer than the Sahara,' said team scientist John Spencer of the Southwest Research Institute in a NASA statement." (See USA Today for August 2, 2005, "Watery world found at Saturn's ice moon," page 6D.)

(Editor's Comment: Geothermal energy for heat--water for drinking, growing food and making oxygen--the best view of Saturn in the solar system. No doubt about it, Enceladus is the perfect spot for our UFO Roundup space colony. Now all we have to do is get there.)


"Warring Mexican gangs fought a pitched battle wth bazookas and grenades late Thursday," July 28, 2005, in a middle-class neighborhood of" Nuevo Laredo, a large city in Mexico's Tamaulipas state, "terrorizing citizens who say they live in a 'Baghdad-like' war zone."

Nuevo Laredo is on the USA-Mexico border, right across the Rio Grande from Laredo, Texas. A month ago, President Vicente Fox sent the Mexican Army to occupy the city and arrest its police department and municipal government, alleging that local officials were involved in the drug trade.

But now the locals are fighting back.

"The battle was so fierce that the U.S. ambassador to Mexico announced Friday," July 29, 2005, "that he was closing the U.S. consulate in Nuevo Laredo until at least August 8 (2005). The announcement called the battle 'an alarming incident' that involved 'unusually advanced weaponry.' U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said U.S. officials will use the week to assess security."

"For more than 30 minutes Thursday, the sharp report of automatic-weapons fire, punctuated by thumping explosions, could be heard throughout the city."

"After the fighting had ended, the street where the confrontation had taken place bore all the signs of combat. The house at the fighting's center was riddled with holes the size of melons. Part of it had collapsed. A building across the street was pocked with holes, indicating a fierce response with heavy weapons."

"Hundreds of bullet casings from AK-47 assault rifles and other weapons littered the streets. Cars, many with Texas (license) plates, lay like victims, their windows shattered and their bodies scourged by bullet holes."

"The battle offered a glimpse of the challenge facing the Mexican police and army as they try to root out rival drug gangs battling for control of this critical border region south of Texas."

"About 300 heavily-armed soldiers in tanks, accompanied by state, city and municipal police and (Mexican) federal investigators, cordoned off the street while they inspected the devastated house and talked to neighbors. Most neighbors claimed they heard nothing, even though the sound of explosions reverberated throughout Nuevo Laredo, a city of nearly half a million."

"Those who did talk told a confusing tale of gunmen wearing the uniforms of the Agencia Federal de Investigaciones (AFI or Federal Agency of Investigations-- J.T.), Mexico's FBI, arriving in front of the house at 2411 Mexicali Street in southern Nuevo Laredo, about two miles from the U.S. border, about 8 p.m."

"'Suddenly there were explosions; they launched bazookas and grenades and machine guns,' said one man, who witnessed the battle for 20 minutes. Standing in a corner, the man pleaded that his name be withheld. 'They'll kill me. It's become so dangerous,' he said, before rushing off into the night."

"A state policeman who asked not to be identified said investigators searching the house found photographs of 14 municipal police officers (who survived last month's purge--J.T.) and a list of other officials 'sentenced to death.' He said the photos carried the men's names, nicknames, their ranks and home addresses."

"The fighting was the sort of violence outsiders rarely see, but soldiers and police at the scene said it was daily fare. The U.S. State Department issued a warning urging U.S. citizens to stay clear of border areas."

"Since January (2005), more than 100 people have been killed in Nuevo Laredo. Human-rights groups say that in the past two years more than 400 people have been kidnapped, including more than 40 Americans. There have been few arrests."

The insurgents may include more than just drug gang members. According to UFO Roundup correspondent Dolores Echevarria, anti-United Nations graffiti has been found on adobe and brick walls around the city, slogans such as Viva Cristo Rey! (Translated: Long live Christ the King!) and Abajo el Nuevo Orden Mundial! (Translated: Down with the New World Order!).

"No one has seen any (UN) Blue Helmets in Nuevo Laredo, but they are rumored to be there, as well as FBI and CIA agents and Texas militia," Dolores stated, "Rumors continue about the presence of white United Nations tanks on the south side of the Rio Grande. Down in Del Rio, I heard that there is a staging area for UN tanks in the desert south of Highway 2, just east of Guerrero in the state of Coahuila."

(Editor's Comment: Interesting--that's only 80 kilometers (50 miles) up the Rio Grande from Nuevo Laredo.)

"Militias are keeping an eye on the situation," said UFO Roundup correspondent Jim Danvers, "Funny, ain't it, how this only made a few papers in the USA?" (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for July 31, 2005, "Gang warfare frightens residents of Mexican border town," page 16A.)

(Editor's Comment: Downright hilarious, Jim--just like the dead silence on the Birmingham tornado.)

>From the UFO Files...


On May 8, 1865, in the city of Istanbul, then the capital of the Ottoman Turkish Empire (now the largest city in Turkey--J.T.), Aristide Coumbary, an amateur astronomer from France, decided to make an observation of the sun.

"It is my custom to direct my telescope from time to time on the sun for the purpose of observing the solar spots," Coumbary wrote in his letter of May 10, 1865 to the French astronomer Leverrier. "And during the month of May, in particular, my scrutiny is very constant, for, to tell you the truth, the temperature at the period of the year indisposes me to active exertion."

"On May 8 (1865--exactly 22 days after the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln at Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C.--J.T.), I was observing the sun according to my custom, and about 9 hours, 28 minutes, I fancied I saw a little black point detach itself from a certain spot."

"I did not feel quite confident that that was the case, and, thinking my eye might be at fault, I rested awhile; again examining the (solar) disk, a further proof awaited me that I had not been deceived, for I found the black point had departed from the spot to the extent of twice its former distance."

(Editor's Note: The black dot was moving swiftly across the surface of the sun.)

"This time I discovered that the black point had a circular outline, and moved minute by minute. The power I was using was 140, but I changed this for a higher one, to wit, 280. This enabled me to distinguish very plainly the movement of the black body, but the loss of light rendered the outline less clear."

"From the time I saw the object till its final disappearance off the sun's limb, a period of about 48 minutes elapsed. Just before the disappearance, the outline became oval and seemed to show a central separation, as if there were two bodies in close contiguity, but of this I am not certain, for perhaps my eye, being fatigued, was at fault, or the (telescope's) eyepiece had something to do with it."

"I deem it my duty to lay this observation before you as it may serve as a basis for further observation."

Apparently Coumbary had seen a large spherical object out in space, passing between Earth and the sun. And this wasn't the first time such an anomaly had been sighted by Earthbound astronomers.

Four years later, in 1869, another astronomer, T.G.E. Elger, presented a list of similar "mystery object" sightings to the Astronomical Register.

Elger wrote, "In the second volume of Petit's Traite de Astronomie pour les gens du Monde (Translated: Treatise on Astronomy for the Peoples of the World--J.T.), I find a notice of Coumbary's observation...Other observations of supposed intra-Mercurial bodies were also referred to by M. Petit."

"Two small spots were seen on the sun, round, black and unequal in size, by Gruithuisen on the 26th June 1819 and by Pastorff on the following dates--23rd October 1822; 24th and 25th July 1823; six times during the year 1834 (no dates given); 18th October 1836; 1st November 1836; 16th February 1837."

"In 1834, these spots were 3 minutes and 1.25 minutes in diameter, the smaller preceding and sometimes following the larger one, at an angular distance which did not exceed 1.16."

"In 1836 and 1837, arcs of 12, 6 and 14 minutes were passed over in 52, 54 and 30 minutes of time."

"As I have not seen an account of M. Coumbary's observations elsewhere, I think the above extract will not be without interest to some of your readers."

And so, it seems that, until fairly recent times, very large alien spacecraft routinely passed through Earth's solar system. But, as telescopes improved in quality and astronomers became more skilled, the aliens re-routed their large spacecraft away from our sun, concealing their presence in our system.

Aristide Coumbary's observation in Istanbul in 1865 was not unlike the situation of a primitive South Pacific islander eighty years later, in 1945, seeing the big American aircraft carrier passing offshore in the dead of night and wondering, What is that thing? (See the book The Unexplained: A Sourcebook of Strange Phenomena by William R. Corliss, Bantam Books, New York, N.Y., 1976, pages 104, 105, 109 and 110. Also Astronomical Register 3:214 for 1865 and Astronomical Register 7:164 for 1869.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth--and occasionally, Saturn--brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol.10 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1032.shtml