UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 10
Number 37
September 14, 2005

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


On Sunday, September 4, 2005, at 8:15 p.m., Russell Careford reported, "I was driving on Upper Rainham Road" in Roneo Corner, Romford, Essex, UK "when almost directly above me I could see an object that made me say to the others, 'What the heck is that?'"

"It looked like something that was flashing constantly and travelling quite quickly but nowhere fast enough to be a meteor. But (also) seemingly too fast for a hot-air balloon. That's if anyone would be daft enough to fly a balloon in pitch-black night. As I chased it down to Rush Green, the thing gained altitude at an alarming rate until after we stopped for a clearer view. We saw it until it got too high for us to see. The object departed to the west."

Russell described the UFO as "orange fire with a particular shape, constant burning, unlike the puffing of extra flame you will get from a hot-air balloon. Slowly getting smaller as it got higher. Appeared star-like when we lost sight of it."

A week later, on Saturday, September 10, 2005, Robert Sloan was in Loughton, Essex at 10 p.m. when he spotted something unusual in the sky.

"After a call from a friend talking about strange lights at 9:30," Robert reported, "I went into my garden (block of flats, ground floor garden facing east--R.S.) to look and saw a triangular formation of reddish-orange lights that were quite fast. I thought they were strange, but the weather was cloudy with clear patches, and there was a low reddish cloud as you often get in the evening."

"I assumed these were bright stars and the cloud was somehow colouring them red. It was a bit weird, however, and I noticed that none of the stars that I could see through the gaps in the clouds were similarly coloured."

I grabbed a small digital camera, and I was ready to film the sky when they disappeared. But for 15 seconds or so, it didn't seem it was likely I'd see that part of the sky closed again. Pretty much the clouds to my front and right (from northeast to east-southeast--R.S.) were low orange cloud, and to my left and overhead was patchy blue sky."

"There wasn't anything I could do once the clouds covered the lights, and I was about to give up and was heading inside when suddenly, from behind where I had been looking, they reappeared. Very much lower and very bright. They were also in front of the low orange cloud and moving rapidly across the sky."

"I switched on my camera and started filming, and I was suddenly aware that I was going to witness this and no one else might see it. I then shouted out loud, 'Everyone in the Flats! Look out your window into the sky! Look at the lights!'"

"As you can imagine, I was delighted when five or six heads popped out of the windows, and they too were startled by the lights."

"As we all watched, the orange orb-like lights proceeded to fly into a position exactly where their star- like lights had first appeared. (to the southeast at about 60 degrees above the horizon--R.S.) I had to film by hope alone, aiming and pointing, as I could see only a black screen on my camera's LCD screen, but they were so bright and so orange-yellow I knew something would show up."

"There was absolutely no sound so far as I could hear, and everyone was agreeing, and we were trying to think of an explanation for these mysterious lights. And no one could come up with anything they could relate these lights to."

"I have the film I shot on digital JPG. format at about 4.3 megacycles in size lasting some three to four minutes, with around two of the minutes showing the three lights together. It is not very clear, however, as digital has a low resolution. It is still a cool film, though, and better in fact than the one I saw of the Phoenix, Arizona sightings" of 1997. (Email Form Reports)

[UFOINFO NOTE: Images with a link to the video footage can be found in the UK Sighting Reports section of the site. Please note there is another witness report for this sighting in nearby Chigwell and a report for September 9th in Romford, Essex.]


On Thursday, September 8, 2005, "a crowd of people in the village of Ban Sop Huai Hai in Chiang Mai province" in northern Thailand "saw a small-statured alien in the rice paddies at the edge of the village. The alien was there for an hour, and most of the people saw him. The entity was first seen on this rice farm by four or five of the workers." The word then spread, and more villagers came to see him.

The crowd then saw a jahn binh (Thai for flying saucer--J.T.) high in the sky above the rice farm. "Then the alien floated up and disappeared in the air. The phantasm appeared to levitate into the sky."

Ban Sop Huai Hai is in northwestern Thailand, about 150 kilometers (90 miles) from Chiang Mai, the provincial capital, and about 500 kilometers (300 miles) northwest of Bangkok, the national capital. (Many thanks to Ruxo Zheng and Terry W. Colvin for this news report.)


On Sunday, September 4, 2005, at 9 p.m., Mehmet Akikvilyet reported, "A UFO flew over the city of Mersin in southern Turkey. We were on the west side of the city, near the coastal area. We were looking at the port facilities when suddenly the UFO appeared. We watched it closely for five minutes."

"The mysterious object had flashing blue and green lights. It stopped and hovered over the ships at anchor in the port. At first we thought it might have been a ship itself, but it wasn't. The other ships were below the flashing lights."

"Everyone who saw the UFO was shocked. Some of them took photographs. Then a plane appeared at the scene, and the UFO switched off its lights. When it reappeared, only one red light was flashing on it, and then it disappeared in the sky. The whole time was about ten minutes. It was a real experience, not a daydream."

"The UFO departed to the northwest," over the Toros Daglari mountains.

Mersin is a port city on the Mediterranean Sea, located about 225 kilometers (135 miles) southeast of Ankara, the capital of Turkey. (Email Form Report)


On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 7:30 p.m., the witness reported, "A large jetliner had just landed at the airport in Santa Rosa, the capital of La Pampa province in Argentina. I am a security worker at the airport. The jet was taxiing towards the terminal when a fellow worker said, 'Look at the lights up there in the sky. How strange!'"

"At first I thought it was a joke. But upon looking, I saw a light four to five times larger than a star or planet towards the northwest. What most attracted my attention was that it was beautiful and it had the characteristic glow of a star and a wake (trail--J.T.) that was white but tended more towards orange at the rear. It took off (southeast) as though headed for Bahia Blanca."

An Argentinian airline pilot also reported, "This one caught my attention because it was my understanding that it was flying very high. The object was flying three times faster than my plane, at least."

Santa Rosa is "a point of reference" in Argentina's air grid, and pilots check in with the tower when they register the beacon at Santa Rosa airport.

According to ufologist Scott Corrales, "The UFO was also seen south of Santa Rosa" in Coronel Eugenio del Busto, Jacinto Aruz and Guatrache, "communities in the southeastern corner of La Pampa province." (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Salvatore Valentin Carta para estas noticias.)


On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 8 p.m., eyewitnesses Steve and Mary were at their home in Katy, Texas (population 11,775) when they spotted a strange light in the sky.

"We first saw it approaching from the north," they reported, "At first we thought we were sighting the North Star (Polaris--J.T.). It was a cloudy night, and the sky was affected by the fires in the Gulf area (resulting from Hurricane Katrina--J.T.) The object was a dull orange. An orange point of light--much as if Mars was flying close by. Looked about planetary size from our point of view. The orange object moved quite quickly to the west and vanished."

Katy is on Interstate Highway 10 about 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Houston. (Email Form Report)


On Wednesday, September 7, 2005, at 12:15 a.m., Charles Castle reported, "Dad was outside smoking," at their home in Minnie, Kentucky "and he hollered at me to come look. The object was triangular-shaped and seemed to have red, white and maybe yellowish lights along its V- shape. It was moving slowly and lower than any airplane."

"And the sound it made was nothing like any airplane. It was a very low humming noise. We watched as it went around Slone Mountain" and disappeared. (Email Form Report)


On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, and Friday, September 9, 2005, a UFO with flashing red, white and blue lights was sighted over Exeter, one of New Hampshire's most notorious UFO hotspots.

Eyewitness Dan Cook reported, "On both nights I saw stationary red, white and blue lights oscillating between the cloud layers in Exeter (population 9,759). The object remained fairly stationary, making small minute circles in the same spot on both nights."

"I called a friend who lives 75 miles (120 kilometers) to the north," near Berlin, N.H., "and they were able to describe what we were seeing, as we did not tell them. They saw it in their southern sky. It was a circular object, as high as a commercial plane would fly (30,000 feet or 9,000 meters--J.T.)."

Exeter was the site of a famous UFO flap forty years ago, in September 1965. More recently, UFOs were seen there in August 2005. (Email Form Report)


On Friday, September 2, 2005, at 9 p.m., Katherine D. Bragg reported, "My husband and I were fishing in the Kanawha River near the state Capitol in Charleston, West Virginia (population 53,421). I noticed a bright star near the Big Dipper (Ursa Major--J.T.). I watched it because it was brighter than all the other stars. It then started moving and crossed the sky going southeast."

"My husband thought it was the International Space Station because it was so high. We could see airplanes up there, but this was much different. It disappeared over the mountains."

"About ten minutes later, it came back much lower, and now there were two of them flying side by side. Pale white lights with no navigation lights. Star-like. No blinking lights and no sound, but these two were much lower--below the height (altitude) of planes. They looked like stars but pale."

"We watched them go northwest toward the Big Dipper for about 30 seconds until my husband hooked a large catfish. After we landed the fish, the UFOs were gone. The night was clear and there were many stars visible despite the city lights. They were up very high, well above 35,000 feet (9,150 meters)." (Email Form Report)


On Thursday, September 8, 2005, a new crop circle "was discovered in a field of barley in St. Gregor, Saskatchewan," Canada. This was the fifth crop circle found in Canada during 2005.

The formation "was slightly elliptical with an offset spiral centre, ranging from approximately 14.4 metres (47.4 feet) to 15.4 metres (50.5 feet). Counterclockwise lay. Some crossed layering in the eastern portion of the circle. Estimated to be two to three weeks old when first found, and the field has already been harvested."

(Many thanks to Paul Anderson of Canadian Crop Circles Research Network for this news item.)


Still reeling from Hurricane Katrina and the flooding caused by the destruction of three levees, New Orleans became a combat zone last week as President George W. Bush used regular Army and National Guard troops as a private police force to restore order in the city.

A hint of what was to come began Thursday, September 1, 2005, when Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco announced that "300 National Guard troops landed in anarchic New Orleans with authorization to shoot to kill 'hoodlums.'"

"'Three hundred of the Arkansas National Guard have landed in the city of New Orleans,' said Blanco."

"'These troops are fresh from Iraq, well-trained, experienced, battle-tested and are under my orders to restore order in the streets,' Blanco said, 'They have M- 16s and are locked and loaded. The troops are ready to shoot to kill, and they are more than willing to do so if necessary, and I expect they will."

On Friday, September 2, 2005, "Colonel Henry Whitehorn of the Louisiana National Guard said that the law-and-order situation in the city was 'bad.'"

"Combat operations are underway in the streets to 'take this city back.'"

"'This place is going to look like Little Somalia,' Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guard's Joint Task Force told the Army Times as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Lousiana Superdome. 'We're going to go out and take the city back. This will be a combat operation to get the city under control.'"

"Jones said the military's first order is to establish security throughout the city. Military and police officials have said there are several large areas of the city that are in a full state of anarchy."

"Dozens of military trucks and up-armored Humvees left the staging area just past 11 a.m. Friday," September 2, 2005, "while hundreds of troops arrived at the staging area in the city aboard Blackhawk and Chinook helicopters."

"'We're here to do whatever they need us to do,' Sgt. First Class Ron Nixon of the Oklahoma National Guard's 1345th Transport Company said, 'We plan to stay as long as it takes.'"

"Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and police helicopters filled the city's sky Friday morning. Most held armed soldiers manning their doors. (door gunners--J.T.)."

"According to Petty Officer Third Class Jeremy Graham, a spokesman for the amphibious assault ship USS Bataan," the Navy's helicopter rescue operations were temporarily suspended Thursday "after several military helicopters reported being shot at from the ground."

"Numerous soldiers told Army Times they had been shot at by armed civilians around New Orleans. Spokesmen for the Joint Task Force Headquarters at the Superdome said they were unsure of any servicemen being wounded in the streets, although one soldier is recovering from a gunshot wound sustained during a struggle with a criminal at the Dome on Wednesday night, August 31, 2005."

"'I never thought that as a National Guardsman I would be shot at by other Americans,' said Spec. Philip Baccus of the 527th Engineer Battalion. 'And I'd never thought I'd have to carry a rifle on a humanitarian relief mission. This is dangerous."

On Saturday, September 3, 2005, President George W. Bush unilaterally suspended the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 and ordered 4,000 troops of the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne Division to "secure" New Orleans.

(Editor's Note: Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act to prevent the USA's federal government from using regular Army troops in police operations.)

By sending the 82nd Airborne to "the Big Easy," Bush became the second American president, after Abraham Lincoln, to attack the city with troops of the regular Army.

Bush also extended his "state of emergency" to ten more states. On Sunday and Monday, August 27 and 28, 2005, "Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama declared states of emergency due to storm damage." On Friday, September 2, 2005, "Arkansas and Texas were added to the list."

On Monday, September 5, 2005, "Bush added eight more states to the list--Tennessee, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida, West Virginia, North Carolina, Utah and Colorado."

"The Pentagon dispatched 4,000 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division to finish evacuating the city. The military was returning from Iraq about 2,800 members of a Louisiana combat brigade a month ahead of schedule, and some Mississippi National Guard members were also being sent home early."

"'We're working to reunite the men and women in uniform that are deployed overseas with their families here at home,' Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said, 'A number of families that are stationed in that area obviously lost all their possessions."

Meanwhile, pitched battles raged in New Orleans' downtown and French Quarter between the troops and armed civilians, described as "looters, criminals, gang members and survivalists."

"The shooting started the night of (Monday) August 29 (2005) before Hurricane Katrina had finished roaring through the city. With the electricity out, it was so dark in the police department's First District headquarters that the only thing visible at one point was the muzzle flash of sniper fire from the public housing project nearby. In a part of town where tension between residents and police is common, some residents were taking advantage of the chaos to attack the police precinct on the edge of the city's French Quarter."

"'You have to understand,' said Officer Juan Lopez, who took refuge in the precinct house. 'New Orleans was a violent place before the hurricane. After the hurricane, the city just let loose."

"Through it all, the police department was hamstrung by the absence of roughly one-third of its 1,600 officers, who failed to return to duty after the storm."

The precinct house received a new nickname last week- -"Fort Apache."

"There's no doubt that the American news media is not reporting the combat operations in New Orleans," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "On Monday, September 5, 2005, I saw video from UK, French and Spanish television networks showing hordes of helicopters over New Orleans. Interesting division of labor. The gray Navy and white Coast Guard helicopters were doing rescue missions, hauling up people trapped in flooded homes. But the Army's UH-60 Blackhawks were flying combat patrols over Bourbon Street, Dauphine Street and Burgundy Street."

"I also saw video of the wreckage of a shot-down Blackhawk on Rampart Street."

"On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, BBC World News aired video of the 82nd Airborne's arrival in New Orleans. The second brief segment showed a firefight between the paratroopers and three men on an Interstate Highway I-10 overpass. The BBC didn't identify the locale, but, from the looks of it, the firefight took place on the highway south of Claiborne Street, between Dumaine Street and St. Philip Street. Despite the camera's crazy jiggling, you could see the trio making a break for it across the highway. Of the three, only one was carrying a weapon, and it looked like an FN-FAL military rifle. All three men were black and between the ages of 20 and 30."

"What was particularly surprising is that none of the G.I.s in the platoon were black. None of the video I've seen thus far has shown black G.I.s doing street patrols. Every black soldier I've seen, male or female, has been in a motorboat helping to rescue homeowners and tenants stranded by the flooding."

"On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, a news photo showed an assault boat filled with 16 Special Forces soldiers crossing Canal Street. Again, all of the soldiers were white."

"Also on Tuesday, there was a major assault on the Fisher Estate, across the Mississippi River from New Orleans, by a force comprised of the New Orleans Tactical Police Unit, the Oregon National Guard and the 82nd Airborne Division. Shooting went on for hours in what some G.I.s are calling 'the Battle of Bayou Fallujah."

"Police and National Guard troops have gone door-to- door, strongly urging residents to leave. Throughout the city on Wednesday," September 7, 2005, "there were signs of an increasingly aggressive crackdown on security. Members of the Army's 82nd Airborne Division were at the city limits, turning away everyone but emergency workers, law enforcement agents and a few journalists."

"Meanwhile, National Guard units from across the country formed checkpoints that limited access to several New Orleans neighborhoods."

Hurricane victims, the majority of them black, complained of being abused by the troops when they asked for food and water. "They treat us like we're Al Qaeda," one resident of the Vieux Carre complained, "They said, 'Move it, niggers!' and told us to get off the interstate (highway)."

"They act like we're suicide bombers," another resident added.

"As flood waters receded inch by inch Tuesday, New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin authorized law enforcement officers and the U.S. military to heed orders to leave the dark, dangerous city."

"Nagin's emergency declaration released late Tuesday targets those still in the city unless they have been designated by government officials as helping with the releif effort."

"The move comes after some residents bluntly told authorities who had come to deliver them from the flooded metropolis that they would not leave their homes. An estimated 10,000 residents are believed to still be in New Orleans, and some have been holed up in their homes for more than a week."

One resident, "Patrick McCarthy, 57, said soldiers arrived in the Lower Garden District Monday. 'Before that, I was defending my block (against looters--J.T.) with a shovel,' said McCarthy, who said he stayed in the city because 'this is my home.'"

"Although many parts of the city were quiet, its long-term security was uncertain because armed people still could be holed up."

Added to these are city residents trying to evade capture by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Horror stories circulating about the FEMA concentration camp at the Superdome have fueled their determination to avoid the security patrols.

"'Once you put yourself in the hands of the government, you could end up in Utah,' Michael O'Donoghue, 64, a holdout in New Orleans' Lower Garden District said." (See USA Today for September 6, 2005, "'Destroyed' city clears out," page 1A; for September 7, 2005, "Officers at 'Fort Apache' finally get breather," page 3A; for September 8, 2005, "Mayor sees 1st 'rays of light,'" page 1A and "New Orleans holdouts still hold out hope," page 3A; the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for September 8, 2005, "New Orleans mayor orders forced evacuation," page 1 A; and for September 9, 2005, "New Orleans residents resist relocation," page 1A; the Army Times for September 2, 2005, "Combat operations are ready to 'take back the streets' after Hurricane Katrina," and the BBC World News broadcasts for September 6 and September 7, 2005.)


As a quarter-million Hurricane Katrina evacuees poured into Texas, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) turned the 40-year-old Astrodome in Houston into an emergency shelter. But the center soon degenerated into another "Thunderdome" like the Superdome in New Orleans the previous week.

Shelters were "set up at the Astrodome and adjacent Reliant Arena and Reliant Center exhibition hall, as well as the downtown George R. Brown Convention Center."

The Astrodome's evacuee population peaked at 24,590 on Saturday, September 3, 2005, according to the Red Cross. As of Wednesday, September 7, "the population in the four facilities had fallen to 8,096."

"'I don't know if they'd close this weekend. I have a personal goal of the weekend after that,' said Coast Guard Lt. Joe Leonard, who supervises the shelters at the Astrodome" and elsewhere in Houston. "In the shelters, 'they almost create their own communities, their own circle of friends,' Leonard said, 'And they're staying there right now because that's the greatest comfort level they have.'"

"Shelter residents have access to 660 bathrooms and 175 showers in the four major (FEMA) facilities. Nightly dinners range from fried chicken, red beans and cornbread on Wednesday, to lasagna for (Thursday) to beef sirloin and mushrooms planned for Friday."

"For other shelter inhabitants, however, the days since their escape from New Orleans have turned into a long week."

"'There are a lot of impatient people here. People are starting to get angry. You can hear it in the conversations,' said Donald Nunnery, who has been at the Astrodome" since Thursday, September 1, 2005. "'Some of the older people, at 10 or 11 o'clock, they're ready to go to bed. And there are still kids throwing balls and running around, jumping over beds.'"

"The overhead lights are turned off from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.--low-level lighting remains on--but there is no enforced bedtime."

"Nathan Smith, 42, a residential and commercial repairman, also senses a growing strain of life in close quarters. 'People are thankful for the opportunity to be here under the circumstances,' he said, 'But no, I don't think anybody's satisfied staying on cots in a dome.'"

Linda Bowie, 51, and her family "rode out the storm in her mother's second-story apartment in the Lafitte Housing Project" in New Orleans, "then watched the waters rise. Escape wasn't easy for anyone in the city, but it was a special challenge for Bowie's family. Her mother, Ethel Hebert, was confined to a hospital bed because of diabetes and her age."

Eventually the Bowies "were left to deal with the squalid Superdome. They spent a tortured Wednesday night," August 31, 2005, "in the bleachers."

"'Everything was going on in there,' Bowie says, 'Fighting. Murders. Rape. There was all kinds of violence. They were selling drugs. The food they were dropping off, other people were selling it. If you didn't have money, you didn't eat.'"

"She arranged to buy seven hot dogs, five smoked sausages and two Cokes for $20. 'Where they were getting it, I don't know. I guess they were stealing it from the dome,' Bowie says, 'When the girl brings me back the food, she says, 'You do drugs? I've got marijuana, cocaine, heroin, Viagra, Vicodin. I can't tell you all the drugs.'"

"Bowie kept the children, Kailen, Kyle, 8, and Kaila, 7, by her side. At 7 a.m. Thursday," September 1, 2005, "they boarded a bus for Houston. She caught one of the first wave of 500 or so buses that delivered hurricane evacuees to Houston's Astrodome, and from there settled into a motel arranged by a cousin who lives" in Houston. One woman complained that life in the Astrodome was just as bad as the infamous Superdome.

"A six-year-old girl was raped in here. A nine-year- old boy was killed. A man in the shower was nearly beaten to death," Clara Barthelemy, formerly of New Orleans' Ninth Ward said, "There's no hot food. Help!"

"We are treated like prisoners here. Placed under mandatory curfew," another evacuee said, "We are citizens!"

Clara added, "The 17th Street Levee (in New Orleans--

J.T.) was bombed by the Army Corps of Engineers to save the more valuable real estate in the city. To keep the French Quarter protected, the Ninth Ward was sacrificed. People are afraid to speak out. Everyone who was there heard the bombings. They bombed seven times. They let the parishes go, not the city center. Tourist trap was saved over human life."

Bush administration officials added to the clamor with a series of incredible gaffes, as when Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, said, "Louisiana is a city under water."

This was followed a few days later by a fresh scandal, when it was revealed that Judge Chertoff's wife, Meryl, was a New Jersey consultant who specialized in obtaining lucrative FEMA contracts for firms located in the State of Israel.

(Editor's Comment: In other words...the usual Beltway chicken-stealing.)

But that was nothing compared to the furor when former First Lady Barbara Bush, the president's mother, visited the Astrodome and said, "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

Mrs. Bush received her reply from "A. Field Hand" on the Web, who wrote, "Yassuh, Miz Barbara, us darkies enjoy bein' po', we sho does. So doan you be worryin' 'bout us. We's happy heah in de Astrodome, all crammed together wif'out no privacy, our house all washed away, our friends and family dead. We's used to it. Yassuh."

(Editor's Comment: Finally! Somebody told off the vicious old harridan.)

As for Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, she drew criticism when it was revealed that the Secretary was in New York City shopping for shoes instead of helping with relief efforts. (See USA Today for September 7, 2005, "Woman searches for ailing mother who was airlifted from Superdome--and vanished," page 4A, and for September 8, 2005, "Numbers dwindle at Astrodome as evacuees move out," page 4A. Many thanks to Clara Barthelemy, Wayne Madsden and Bob Liggett for these news stories.)


"A convoy of 45 vehicles and and 196 soldiers arrived at the border city of Nuevo Laredo Wednesday night," September 7, 2005. "It was to cross into U.S. territory early" Thursday, September 8, 2005, "Gen. Francisco Ortiz Valadez told reporters as his men refueled at a local gas station."

"He said the troops would help evacuee operations in San Antonio."

(Editor's Note: San Antonio, Tex. is 756 miles (1,203 kilometers) west of New Orleans, well outside the hurricane damage area.)

"'Our mission is to give aid to the civilian population affected by this disaster," Gen. Ortiz said."

"The convoy represents the first Mexican military unit to operate on U.S. soil since 1846, when Mexican troops briefly marched into Texas, which had seceded from Mexico and joined the United States."

"'This is just an act of solidarity between two peoples who are brothers,' said Ruben Aguilar, a spokesman for Mexico's President Vicente A. Fox."

The movement of Mexican Army troops and armor into Texas apparently came about as a result of a private deal between President George W. Bush and his Mexican counterpart.

"With a 24-hour delay, President Vicente Fox requested from the (Mexican) Senate authoriztion to allow elements of the Army and Navy to leave Mexico for the United States to lend assistance to victims of Hurricane Katrina."

"The full Senate approved the Federal Executive's request but only barely, since it received only 68 votes." For the measure to be approved, it had to receive 65 votes.

"Only a day earlier, PRI and PRD (Mexican political parties--J.T.) legislators had complained that the Consitutional provision to authorize the deployment of military forces had been abused" by President Fox.

Gen. Ortiz's convoy "passed by San Luis Potosi" before going on to Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo.

The Minutemen and Texas rightwing militia groups immediately went on alert when the Mexican troops crossed the border.

According to commentator Alex Jones of Infowars, at least three Mexican military convoys crossed the border on Thursday.

"The first sighting occurred at 12:30 p.m. on Highway 183 travelling towards Austin," the state capital of Texas. "The eyewitness described about 10 military vehicles, four jeeps, which others described as Humvees, and six combat trucks brimming with armed Mexican troops wearing body armor, helmets and rifles. The troops riding in the jeeps had holstered hand guns. The vehicles were not being escorted by the U.S. Army or any other government vehicles. The vehicles were festooned with insignia reading Mexico - Policia Militar and the Mexican flag."

"The second sighting occurred north of Austin on Highway 135 near Georgetown, Texas (population 28,339)."

"Why are we surprised? This has been predicted for months," UFO Roundup correspondent Jim Danvers said, "The invasion of Texas has begun. Now that the Mexicans are here, next comes the gun confiscation--just like in New Orleans."

On Friday, September 9, 2005, the New York Times reported, "Local police officers began confiscating weapons from civilians in preparation for a forced evacuation of the last holdouts still living" in New Orleans.

"Edwin Compass III, the police superintendent, said after a week of near-anarchy in the city, no civilian in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns and other firearms of any kind."

"'Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons,' he said."

"New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled by thousands of local, state and federal law enforcement officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers."

"Whether he knows it or not, Mr. Compass is repeating standard United Nations policy on the ownership of firearms," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "The UN has repeatedly stated that ownership of firearms should be confined to police and military units only. This UN policy is being carried out in New Orleans under the auspices of martial law, in violation of the USA's Constitution."

"Nor has it been explained why the Mexican Army is heading for Austin and San Antonio when the majority of the evacuees are in the Houston area."

"Will this UN policy be extended to Texas? Time will tell."

Although some militia members expressed fears of a reconquista of Texas by its one-time former owner, Mexico, Trainor said he doesn't agree with that.

"Texas has a convoluted history," he remarked, "Originally, it was part of Spain's colony of Nueva Espana. Then it became a state of Mexico when Mexico won its war of independence in 1824. Then, in 1836, Texas won its independence from Mexico. After nine years as an independent nation, the Lone Star State joined the USA in 1845. However, only 16 years later, Texas seceded from the USA and joined the short-lived Confederate States of America. Texas was the last Confederate state to surrender in June 1865. It spent five years as a Reconstruction 'occupied territory' and then was re- admitted to the USA in 1870. I guess in the real estate business you'd call this a 'flawed title.'"

"My guess is that there's a plan at the United Nations to seperate Texas from the USA. Texas would lose its statehood and become a Trust Territory under the UN, to be ruled jointly by the USA and Mexico. How would that affect Texas? Well, for one thing, there would be no more 'six-guns-in-every-household.' The UN Blue Helmets would see to that. Also, having to pay taxes to both the USA and Mexico would bring the booming Texas economy to a screeching halt."

Meanwhile, twenty million Texans are wondering: what will the Mexican Army do next? (See the Mexican newspaper Hoy for September 7, 2005, "Mexican troops sent to U.S.;" the Wichita, Kan. Eagle for September 8, 2005, "Mexican troops on U.S. soil;" and the New York Times for September 9, 2005, "Police begin siezing guns of civilians." Many thanks to Scott Corrales, Marco Reynoso, Jim Danvers, Dolores Echevarria and Ray Eldon for these newspaper articles.)


The crazy crocs staged another flap last week, making headlines in California and Tennessee.

The crazy crocs--also known as the crazy croc syndrome, i.e. the sudden appearance of crocodilians in regions far outside their native habitat--are one of the longest running phenomena in Forteana. And the year 2005 has been a bumper one for sightings.

"A crocodilian--perhaps and alligator or a caiman (South American alligator--J.T.)--was discovered Tuesday," September 6, 2005, "in a flood control channel that feeds into nearby Machado Lake" in Harbor City, California, a suburb of Los Angeles, "creating a new challenge for facilities authorities who have been trying unsuccessfully to capture Reggie (formerly known as Carlito and Harbor Park Harry--J.T.), as the 6 to 7-foot (2-meter) long alligator that has been swimming in the lake and drawing crowds for weeks" is known.

"'They've got another one to catch,' said Craig Townsend, 50, manager of Harbor City Estates."

"Because of the smaller size, the reptile discovered Tuesday is not believed to be Reggie, the elusive alligator dumped by his former owners into the 53-acre lake at Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park."

"The latest reptile, which also appears to be an alligator, was seen in a concrete-lined channel just blocks away from the lake."

"Craig Reagan, a 45-year-old electrician, discovered the animal at about 4 p.m. when he walked behind his Harbor City Estates mobile home on Lomita Boulevard in Harbor City to feed the turtles and ducks that live in and near the channel."

"'I looked over the bank, and there's this alligator,' Reagan said, 'I thought, 'Holy cow!'"

"Reagan called the city's Animal Control Department to file a report but was still awaiting a visit from a field agent as the sun went down. Native to the southeastern United States, alligators are not naturally found in California."

"As they waited around, residents and area children came out to watch."

"'The kids are all just fascinated, I think,' Townsend said, 'I don't thin it's going to hurt any one. I just hope the kids don't scare it off, because then it's just going to hide.'"

Two days later, on Thursday, September 8, 2005, "Little Reggie," the smaller of the two alligators, was captured.

"One urban alligator down, one to go. A 3-foot (0.9- meter) long gator dubbed 'Little Reggie' was caught Thursday night in a Harbor City flood control channel, but its nearby, much bigger partner remains on the loose."

"Word of a gator sighting drew firefighters to the channel, where one leaned out on a truck-mounted ladder to snare Little Reggie in a hand-held net, Los Angeles fire spokesman Jim Wells said."

"'We've gone out on (calls regarding) boa constrictors, snakes, but I cannot recall a rescue of an alligator,'" he added.

"The gator was discovered Tuesday by a resident of Harbor City Estates mobile home park when he returned home to feed turtles and ducks that live in the channel."

Also last week, in Oak Grove, Kentucky (population 7,064), authorities called off the search for a crazy croc that had escaped from the back of a pickup truck.

"Authorities in Kentucky called off the search Wednesday," September 7, 2005, "for an escaped alligator."

"James Mason of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources called the search 'like a needle in a haystack.'"

"The 4.5-foot (1.3-meter) long alligator escaped from a moving pickup truck in Oak Grove, Ky. and scampered off into a cornfield."

"The alligator was found in the basement of a (mobile) home in Oak Grove and was taken to a pet store in nearby Clarksville, Tennessee (population 103,455). It was being brought back to Kentucky when it escaped again."

"Authorities had been alerting the residents of the area about the loose alligator." (See the Torrance, Cal. Daily Breeze for September 7, 2005, "Is there room enough in Harbor city for two reptiles?", the Los Angeles Times for September 10, 2005, "Gator found in flood channel in L.A.," and the Clarksville, Tenn. Leaf-Chronicle for September 8, 2005, "Hunt for escaped alligator called off." Many thanks to Fortean researcher Loren Coleman and UFO Roundup's crazy crocs expert Mary Lou Jones-Drown for these newspaper articles.)


"A large black animal has been seen in fields off Moreton Road, Ongar. There have been reports of deer and other animals being killed, and a horse attacked in the area, in recent weeks."

"Belinda Taylor's son, Adam, and his friend, Scott Prior, reported seeing the animal at Shelley Common."

"Mrs. Taylor told the Guardian: 'It was a big black cat, bigger than a Labrador (dog), and it was seen going into the hedge. At first Adam thought it was a fox, but Scott said it wasn't because it was black."

"Mrs. Taylor now believes 'a big cat' could have been responsible for scratches on her horse."

"'I just thought the other horses were bullying him and had pushed him into barbed wire, but, thinking about it, it's too high up. He's had deep superficial scratches on one of his legs and round the quarter area near his tail.'"

"Mrs. Taylor, whose son's rabbits have been killed, had also been told of a deer that was found ripped apart in a field with 'lumps of flesh all over the place.'"

The last Alien Big Cat (Phantom panther in the USA-- J.T.) took place "in October 2003 when Stanford Rivers Parish Council clerk Kay Hayden saw 'a big cat' in a field off Berwick Lane."

"The first sighting was seven years ago at Wood End, Beauchamp Roding, near Ongar."

"There were also attacks on Weald Bridge Road, North Weald, where four geese were killed. One of the carcasses was sent away for analysis, resulting in pathologist Ranald Munro concluding that the geese had been killed by a lynx." (See The Guardian for September 1, 2005. Many thanks to UFO Roundup's phantom panther expert Robert Fischer for this newspaper article.)


"Planetary scientists are intrigued by the latest findings from the flyby in July (2005) of Saturn's moon Enceladus."

The robot spacecraft Cassini managed "the detection of hot spots at the moon's south pole."

"Usually, the hottest part of any planet or moon is around the equator, as is the case with Earth, mission scientists said at a news conference Tuesday," August 30, 2005.

"On Enceladus, however, the heat is greatest in the south pole region near a series of ground fissures referred to as 'tiger stripes.' John Spencer of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, says: 'It's like flying past Antarctica and finding that it's warmer than Earth's equatorial regions. It's that strange.'"

"Further analysis suggests that water vapor and fine water-ice particles may be venting from the fissures." (See USA Today for August 31, 2005, "'Strange' hot spots at Saturn moon's pole," page 5D.)


Even while New Orleans was being destroyed by the kind of apocalyptic disaster that used to be found only in the pages of Marvel Comics, "the Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity are continuing to function and have long outlasted their missions, NASA said."

"'Today is Day 591 of our 90-day mission to Mars,' mission principal investigator Steve Squyres said."

"Scientists released a picture of the Martian landscape shot by Spirit from a hill it took a year to ascend. The rover reached the 270-foot (81-meter) Husband Hill on (Sunday) August 21 (2005)."

"'That's no Mount Everest, but for a little rover this was a heck of a climb,' Squyres said."

"The six-wheeled, solar-powered Spirit and its twin, Opportunity, landed on opposite sides of Mars in January 2004 to look for evidence of the history of water." (See USA Today for September 2, 2005, "Rover scales Husband Hill on Mars," page 7A.)

>From the UFO Files...


At about 10:30 p.m., on Monday, September 14, 1936, farmer William Beverly Hamilton, 20, climbed the back porch steps of his parents' house south of Wichita, Kansas. The screen door creaked as he strode into the darkened kitchen. The sun had been down for a couple of hours, but it was still hot--well over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. For this was the height of "the Dust Bowl," and 1936 had been a year of unprecedented drought in Kansas.

Bill peeled off his shirt, hung it on the back of a kitchen chair, and then rummaged in the icebox. Sure enough, Momma had left him a pitcher of fresh lemonade. There was a tall glass on the tablecloth, too. Bill poured himself a tall one and quaffed it down. It tasted like the nectar of the gods running down his parched, dust-caked throat.

Bill turned on the kitchen light and then tried the Atwater Kent radio. Hearing a burst of static, he turned it down low, not wanting to disturb his parents, who were trying to get to sleep upstairs. Maybe he could pick up the all-night station in Topeka.

Patiently he turned the dial. The needle went from one end of the waveband to the other. There was nothing but static. Suddenly, a sound came through, the blare of a jazz band. Startled, Bill turned the volume a bit lower.

"...concludes the first half of our program. Next up--Mr. Cab Calloway, making a special appearance right here at the House of Blues. Stay tuned to WLS, the Voice of Chicagoland, for the best in jazz..."

Chicago!? Bill frowned in bewilderment. That's hundreds of miles away. Yet it's coming through as clear as a bell. No static at all. What is this?

Finishing his lemonade, Bill listened as the black singer began his number. "Hi-de-hi-de-hi...ho-de-ho-de- ho..."

"Hi-de-hi-de-hi," Bill murmured, absentmindedly singing along. Then, as he passed the kitchen window, he did an instant doubletake. "Ho-de-ho-de...Holey Moley! What the hell is that!?"

Peering through the slightly dusty glass, Bill saw a circular bright blue light zigzagging through the night sky above his father's wheat field, about a half-mile north of the Arkansas River. He watched in amazement as the blue light was joined by another, and then another, and then another.

I must be dreaming, he thought. I fell asleep in a kitchen chair, and I'm dreaming. That's the only explanation.

Bill squeezed his eyes shut and then opened. The four luminous blue objects were still there, tracing a leisurely circle in the sky above the wheat field.

The blue objects reminded Bill of his mother's pie plates. They seemed to tilt at odd angles, self-luminous with that eerie blue light but not illuminating the parched wheat on the ground.


The boyhood nickname brought Bill out of his stunned reverie. Turning, he saw his mother standing in the doorway in her flannel nightgown. Concern flashed across her features. "What is it? What's the matter?"

"Momma, come over here and take a look." Bill guided her by her thin shoulders to the window. "Tell me what you see."

Mrs. Hamilton looked. Then her hand touched the base of her throat, and she cast her son a puzzled glance. "I- -I don't know. What is it?"

"That's what I'd like to know," Bill replied.

"Go fetch your daddy."

Bill took the stairs two at a time and then pushed open his parents' bedroom door. His father, William Turner Hamilton, sat upright on the edge of the bed, pulling his suspenders on. "What in Sam Hill is going on downstairs?"

"Look out the window, Dad."

The elder Hamilton did so. His jaw dropped a full inch. "Sweet Mother of Pearl!"

Within minutes, the three Hamiltons were on the back porch, staring upward at the strange aerial display in the sky. The "plates," as Bill's mother called them, hovered motionless for several minutes. Then, glowing a slightly brighter blue, they zipped to the east in single file, then made an "impossible" 90-degree turn to the south. The strange maneuvers went on for nearly fifteen minutes. And then, without a sound, the UFOs darted south toward the Arkansas River and disappeared over the horizon.

It was a night Bill Hamilton never forgot.

Times change. When Bill and his wife returned to Wichita's North High School in 1985 for his class's 50th reunion, he couldn't believe the changes in what, to him, would always be "farm country." The family farm, which his father had bought in 1921 when Bill was five, was no longer there, replaced by Hydraulic Avenue and its strip malls. The cottonwood grove and "ol' swimming hole" on the Arkansas where he and his friends had "gone skinny- dipping" as boys were now part of the sprawling Boeing plant.

But still he remembered the night of the UFOs.

His widow, Norma, recalls: "Bill was born on August 13, 1916. He was in his early twenties at the time. My husband was a very intelligent man, not apt to imagine such things. He told me of this sighting several times before his death in 1986. In the late 1930s, my husband often saw these lights zipping around over his father's farm. They changed direction suddenly, hovering and then streaking away."

"I do not know how many events there were. But there were more than one."

UFOs before Roswell? They're rare...but they're there. (Many thanks to Norma Hamilton for the email interview.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth--and occasionally, Mars and Saturn--brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol.10 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1037.shtml