UFO Roundup/UFOINFO LogoUFO Roundup/UFOINFO Logo

Volume 10
Number 44
November 23, 2005

Editor: Joseph Trainor

UFO Roundup and the UFOINFO site are operated on a "Not For Profit" basis. You can help to keep UFO Roundup operating by making a donation.


Three powerful tornadoes ravaged the USA's Midwest region, prompting scientists to wonder if an unprecedented "second tornado season" has opened.

In the USA, "tornado season' customarily runs from April 1 until July 31. Late-season tornadoes are rare but not completely unknown. Oklahoma suffers the most tornadoes of any American state and is considered the heart of "Tornado Alley."

On Sunday, November 6, 2005, "the deadliest tornado to strike Indiana in 31 years killed 22 people, most of them sleeping in a mobile home park near Evansville (population 121,582) that took a direct hit."

"The twister hit with little warning at about 2 a.m. and destroyed hundreds of homes, businesses and churches along a 20-mile (32-kilometer) path on both sides of the Ohio River. About 200 people were injured."

"Seventeen people died at the Eastbrook Mobile Home Park east of Evansville. About 100 of the park's 320 mobile homes were reduced to their concrete foundations. Five people were confirmed dead in neighboring Warrick County. The tornado also damaged a racetrack in Henderson, Kentucky (population 27,373), killing at least three horses, track official Paul Kuerzi said."

"'The bombings of World War II couldn't have looked any worse that some neighborhoods near here,' said Bill Kavanagh, town council president in nearby Newburgh (population 4,000)."

"The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning at 1:46 a.m. The Evansville emergency agency activated its 20 radio-controlled sirens, including one just west of the Eastbrook Mobile Home Park, three minutes later," according to Lt. John Strange of the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Department.

"The tornado was Indiana's deadliest since April 3, 1974, when several twisters killed 47 people."

"'It was just a real loud roar. It didn't seem like it lasted over 45 seconds to a minute, then it was calm again,' said Steve Gaiser, who lives near the Eastbrook Mobile Home Park in Evansville." "'They were in trailer homes, homes that were just torn apart by the storm, so they're just now getting in there, trying to find people,' said deputy Vanderburgh County coroner Annie Groves. 'It was just terrible.'"

"Rescuers on the scene reported seeing children wandering the area looking for their parents, and parents searching for missing children. Children's bicycles and other toys were strewn amid the debris of aluminum siding, mattresses, chairs and insulation."

"One trailer park resident told a local TV station that she saw the tornado pick up a car with members of her family in it and toss it into a tree. Miraculously, no one in the car was seriously injured."

"Three horses at the Ellis Park racetrack in Kentucky died from storm injuries, said a spokesman there."

"Five other people-including a woman who was eight- months pregnant, her husband and a young child-were confirmed dead in neighboring Warrick County, east of Evansville."

One week later, on Saturday, November 12, 2005, "Tornadoes swept across central Iowa, damaging homes in several towns, ripping up farms and chasing college football fans from an open stadium and into a nearby basketball arena for shelter."

"No injuries were immediately reported, but authorities last night were evacuating Stratford (Iowa), a town of about 746 residents" approximately "23 miles (37 kilometers) northwest of Ames (population 50,731)."

"'They're evacuating the whole town. Part of it was damaged by a tornado-a good portion of it" said Officer Luke Field of the Ellsworth-Jewell-Stanhope Police Department."

"National Weather Service meteorologist Craig Cogil said it appeared that at least three tornadoes touched down."

"In Ames, football fans awaiting the start of the Iowa State Cyclones' game against the University of Colorado were cleared from the stands and moved into the Hilton Coliseum as the tornado sirens sounded."

"Ames Police dispatcher Pam Litchfield said there were reports of a building blown apart in the city, but it wasn't clear whether it was a home."

"A Boone County dispatcher confirmed that at least two tornadoes hit there, with major damage in the Boxholm and Pilot Mound areas a few miles south of Stratford."

"A convenience store in Woodward (population 1,200), 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Stratford was also damaged by the storm."

"Richard Albracht, 59, had headed for his basement in Woodward when he saw shingles start to fly and heard the sirens."

"He said he went outside after the storm passed and found several homes damaged and an empty restaurant with only one wall left standing."

"'It's pretty bad. There's houses destroyed and roofs off houses,' he said."

"John Kiley and his wife were watching TV at their home in rural Woodward when they heard the warning."

"'I saw it two, three minutes before it hit,' Kiley said, 'My wife said, 'Go to the basement!' I said no. We got in the car and went down the road. I looked out as it hit our house.'"

On Tuesday, November 15, 2005, "tornadoes and severe thunderstorms battered parts of Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky, killing one person and injuring dozens of others."

"'Numerous homes were damaged, some completely destroyed,' said Faye Scott, spokeswoman for the Henry County Sheriff's Department in northeastern Tennessee."

Tornadoes in Henry County "injured at least 13 people."

One person was reported killed in Marshall County, Kentucky.

Tornadoes were also reported in southern and central Indiana, just "nine days after a deadly tornado in the Evansville area killed 22 people."

American scientists are baffled by the recent flurry of unseasonal tornadoes.

"Indiana is part of a swath of Midwestern states, sometimes called 'Tornado Alley' that is frequently hit by twisters. But the Evansville area is not in a part of Indiana that is particularly prone to tornadoes, said Wayne Hart, chief meteorologist at WEHT-TV in Evansville. And when they come, the tornadoes usually hit in the spring." (See USA Today for November 7, 2005, "Twister shreds Indiana towns," page 1A, for November 8, 2005, "Searchers drain pond for tornado victims," page 7A, and for November 17, 2005, "November: Second tornado season," page 3A; the Boston Herald for November 7, 2005, "Death toll climbs in Midwest tornado," page 2; the New York Post for November 7, 2005, "20 die in 2-state tornado rampage," page 21; the New York Daily News for November 7, 2005, "Deadly twister," page 7; the Providence, R.I. Journal for November 13, 2005, "Tornadoes touch down in Iowa," page A6; USA Today for November 16, 2005, "Storms batter 4 states, cause 1 death in Ky.," page 3A; and for November 7, 2005, "Tornado survivor: 'I thought it was a bad dream,'" page 4A.)


"About 171 cows have died in the past ten days, for unknown medical reasons, in Raydan Talavdi village in Ajwatalaku" in southern India. "Cattle owners and veterinary doctors fear the deaths could have taken place due to the spread of a dangerous epidemic in the village."

"A large number of families, mostly shepherds, are involved in the dairy business in the village and own about 960 cows and water buffaloes."

"'Surprisingly, a bovine has been perishing at the rate of one per day for the past ten days. On the first day, about five cows died. The cows first vomited blood, then fainted and died,' said Vijay Bharwad, president of the Raydan Talavdi Milk Production Committee, which supplies milk to the Baroda Dairy."

"On Wednesday, November 9, 2005, four more cows were reported dead."

"Three camels and four water buffaloes have also died in the village."

"'Since the number of dead cattle is so large, it has been difficult to dispose of the carcasses,' Mr. Bharwad explained, 'Stray dogs have also died after eating the dead cattle. Maybe some dangerous epidemic has struck the village.'"

"Veterinarians hired by the Baroda Dairy have been unable to ascertain the reason behind the sudden rash of cattle deaths."

Authorities in Ghandinagar, the district capital, have sent three teams of doctors to Ajwatalaku to identify the cause of the malady.

The mystery ailment then turned up in Usilampatti, another prime dairy region.

On Thursday, November 17, 2005, a herd of cows "taken for grazing at Rengasamipatti and Ammamuthu were found dead. Farmers say that the cows start shivering and, within a few minutes, die."

Dairy farming is "carried out on a large scale in Usilampatti. The straw and grass from the fields serves as fodder for the milch animals. These animals also ensure a steady income for (Indian) farmers from the sale of milk."

"The farmers have appealed to authorities to find out the cause for the sudden death of their milch animals and also seek preventive measures." (See the New Indian Press for November 18, 2005 and the Asian Age for November 13, 2005. Many thanks to Krishnari Bai Dharapurnanda for these newspaper articles.)


On Saturday, November 12, 2005, at 10:40 p.m., eyewitness John Law was lying in bed at his home in Christies Beach, near Adelaide, South Australia when he saw a strange light approaching "from just a little south of east."

"I was awake in bed, watching the stars through my bedroom window," John reported, "When the object entered the frame of the window, it was at least as bright as the moon, glowing, slightly reddened, round, more than half the apparent diameter of the moon. No debris or smaller bits falling off."

"It was moving at the same speed that satellites do, or perhaps a little slower. My bedroom has a door to the outside, so I was able to rush outside and to watch from my back yard for about a minute. My house got in the way when I was 5 meters (16 feet) from a 3-meter (10-foot) high wall and looking directly west."

"I ran to a new position further south to get a better angle. The object had disappeared, probably behind a big cloud continuous to the horizon, which, for me, was the trees across the road."

"I was able to see a real satellite due west and near a horizon not obscured by trees that was tracking slightly north of west. I think the satellite and the object were on parallel courses but well-separated. My interpretation is that this object was a near-miss spherical object touching the earth's atmosphere."

"If it was 100 kilometers (60 miles) high, then simple trigonometry gives its diameter as half a kilometer (500 meters or 0.3 miles-J.T.)."

"I called for other people to come, but they were too late."

On Wednesday, November 9, 2005, at 12 noon, eyewitness Alice Briggs was in the yard of her home approximately one mile (1.6 kilometers) outside of Ipswich, Queensland, Australia, when she spotted a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) F-111 fighter-bomber on final approach. Grabbing her camera, Alice "took this picture of an F-111 going over my house, which is very close to RAAF Amberley (air base)."

"I did not see the object until I magnified the photo, and the object appeared in the photo. As there was only the one plane we were watching in the sky, I'm interested to know what you think."

On Sunday, November 20, 2005, at 12:15 a.m., Brenda Hodgson, 71, was asleep in her bedroom in Ballarat, a city in Victoria state, Australia when she was awakened by strange lights flashing on the wall.

"I live alone, am 71 years old, and this phenomena was very frightening," Brenda reported, "My bedroom was lit up with bright lights, almost blue in colour, and accompanied by tapping sounds about one second apart outside my bedroom window at about 12:15 a.m. It last for about two minutes, then stopped. It seemed almost like a laser beam or something of that nature."

"Could this have been some sort of UFO? I have not reported it, as I did not know who to contact." (Email Form Reports)


On Friday, November 11, 2005, at 9:25 p.m., eyewitness C.T. reported, "I was standing in the garden and looked up and saw an object about 10 feet (3 meters) above the trees. It was coming from the left of the house" in Bedford, UK. "It came over my head, curved, and flew over neighbouring houses to my right."

"It was very low, metallic, slightly fluorescent-no lights and no noise. It was silvery metallic, slightly luminous, looked like three joined together, a bit like a boomerang. I only had six seconds to take it in."

"It looked like three in perfect unison. I saw two black lines going through it. No noise. Definitely solid. I looked up and saw this massive thing coming over trees next to me, then over houses, then it was gone."

The same day, a few hours earlier at 6:20 p.m., eyewitness Allan Ashton spotted a UFO in Haydock, near Wigan, from the south side of the motorway M6.

"I saw a large comet-like object appear to the right of my windscreen (windshield in the USA-J.T.) about 1.5 miles above the M6 in Haydock, near Wigan, traveling at least 600 miles per hour (1,000 kilometers per hour- J.T.). This could have been a comet, or possibly a meteorite, but the object's speed seemed to be too consistent for it to have been either one."

"I only caught a glimpse of the object before it disappeared into a cloud, as it was traveling so fast. I know there were other witnesses as this was reported on (BBC) Radio One by listeners to Judge-Jules. Apparently, they were inundated with calls from witnesses in the Northwest and Midlands. But I have neither seen nor heard anything in the media since." (Email Form Reports)


On Monday, November 14, 2005, at 6:30 p.m., eyewitness M.R. "was standing on my back porch on the south side of my house" in Tacoma, Washington (population 193,356) when she noticed something strange "approaching from the north."

"It was a full moon or a nearly full moon, and the sky was clear," she reported, "But the moon was behind me to the northeast, and I am aware that Mars was visible next to the moon. What I saw was not a planet."

"From behind me and over my head, a large boomerang- shaped object-like a fat boomerang or a V-shaped object- passed over my head. It was difficult to tell how high in the air it was, but I estimate that it was maybe several hundred to 1,000 feet in altitude. It had no lights and made no sound, but I noticed it because I could see it, and the movement above caught my eye. The bottom of it (the UFO) appeared convoluted/uneven on the surface and against the black sky it appeared dark grey. It did not hover but steadily moved across the sky."

"No mention on the TV news. However, a co-worker told me she saw something strange in the sky at around the same time or slightly earlier the same evening." (Email Form Report)


On Monday, November 14, 2005, at 4 a.m., eyewitness R.J. and her 14-year-old daughter were "on top of the porch, smoking a cigarette like we always do, because we don't smoke in the house" when they saw a bizarre object "standing still in the air."

"I was sleeping," R.J. reported, "She called me and said, 'Mom, Mom, come here! Look at this!' So I did. I never ever believe in this kind of stuff, but I became a believer that night."

"I saw a fluorescent type light, like a fluorescent light bulb. It had three colors-red, blue and silver flashing lights-on it. This was not a plane. It was not a planet. I know the difference. Once the sun came up, it was gone. This was a UFO."

"I took two pictures of it with my cell phone, but they're not real clear. You do see the lights, however. Me and my daughter saw this together. It don't matter what anyone thinks or believes. I know! I'm a believer now."

"I wanted to call, but I thought they would think I was crazy. Now I wish I had." (Email Form Report)


On Saturday, November 12, 2005, at 7 p.m., eyewitness Kim Peters, was outdoors in her hometown of Holly, Michigan (population 6,135) when she saw a strange light in the eastern sky.

"As I was looking up at the sky," Kim reported, "I saw the moon. It was kind of cloudy, so it had a fuzzy look at it. I then saw two white balls moving that were right by the moon. These objects were fuzzy also (Meaning they were above the clouds-J.T.). One was larger than the other, one behind the other, going in a quick but smooth motion, and disappeared."

Kim described the UFOs as "white round balls."

"I don't know about the speed," she added, "Maybe as quick as a shooting star, but this was a little slower." (Email Form Report)


On Saturday, November 12, 2005, at 10 p.m., eyewitness Conner Viers was outdoors with some friends in his hometown of Dublin, Ohio (population 31,392) when the group "spotted something strange" heading "right towards us."

"We were looking right at it," Conner reported, "A green beam of light that looked like a thick straight line as it flew through the sky. It was very fast. A green thick line with little dots in it. We estimated that it was 10,000 to 20,000 feet (3,000 to 6,000 meters) up. Speed was too fast for us to tell. Very fast. And then it disappeared."

Dublin is a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, the state capital. (Email Form Report)


The USA's "crazy croc" flap continued last week with another out-of-place alligator getting captured in Rhodesville, Alabama.

"Farmer Johnny Clemmons was surprised when a friend spotted a 5-foot (1.5-meter) alligator at his cow farm in Rhodesville. It's believed to be the first alligator ever captured in Lauderdale County."

"Clemmons suspects the reptile likely moved to the farm from a nearby swamp that dried up recently."

"Crazy crocs" or the "crazy croc syndrome" is one of the longest-running phenomena in Forteana. It consists of the sudden appearance of alligators or crocodiles in areas far from their natural habitat.

Lauderdale County is in northern Alabama, just below the Tennessee state line, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) west-northwest of Huntsville. (See USA Today for November 10, 2005, "Across the USA: Alabama," page 8A.)


"It was a slow day for boa constrictors yesterday," (Thursday, November 10, 2005)

"In a rare call, Framingham police easily caught up to a red-tailed boa slowly slithering down the street."

"Where the young four-foot (1.3-meter) creature came from is anybody's guess. Yesterday's soggy weather didn't suit the snake, farm from its home in the tropics."

"Framingham Animal Control rushed the sluggish reptile to the Wildlife Clinic at Tufts Cummings Veterinary School in Grafton, Mass."

"'Our veterinarians and technicians warmed him up, and he is resting comfortably,' Tufts spokeswoman Barbara Donato said."

"The snake is not out of the woods yet. It must be warmed up to 75 degrees and have a hearty appetite again."

Framingham, Mass. (population 66,910) is on Route 9 about 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Boston, the state capital. (See the Boston Herald for November 11, 2005, "Wayward boa constrictor rescued in Framingham," page 12.)


"A retired Elvis Presley impersonator helped police" in Las Vegas, Nevada "nab a man suspected of stealing more than $300,000 worth of memorabilia from the Elvis-A- Rama Museum, authorities said Wednesday," November 9, 2005.

"Duke Adams, a 62-year-old 'older-era Elvis' said he was approached while in line at the pharmacy by a man offering to sell him items once owned by Presley, including jewelry, clothing and The King's revolver."

"Remembering the March 2004 burglary, Adams said he asked the man to stop by his business the next day. Adams went home and called police."

"Authorities arrested Eliab Aguilar last week after the Las Vegas man brought all but one of the stolen items to Adams' employment agency, police said."

"'He'd laid it all out on the table. It couldn't have been handed to me more clearly,' said Detective Kelli Hickle, who's been on the case since thieves backed a stolen tow truck into the museum, used the vehicle's hook to lift an overhead door, and heisted the loot in a matter of minutes."

"Aguilar was charged with burglary, grand larceny auto, possession of stolen property and possession of a stolen firearm, Hickle said."

"Among the items recovered were a 41-carat ruby and diamond ring worth $77,000, a $65,000 gold and black onyx medallion that spells "Elvis' in diamonds, and a gold- plated Smith & Wesson .38 (caliber)" pistol. (See the Pawtucket, R.I. Times for November 11, 2005, "Elvis impersonator collars Elvis thief," page 1.)


"No need to sound the alarms in Tokyo."

"This fearsome reptile has been extinct for millions of years."

"The recently-discovered crocodile-like creature dubbed 'Godzilla' is causing some excitement-but not among Japanese Defense Forces."

"'It's an entirely new species, so that's exciting,' said Museum of Science program manager Lynn Baum. 'They often attach names like that. We like to make familiar connections to something new.'"

"Given the scientific name Dakosaurus andiniensis, the 13-foot (4-meter) Jurassic reptile is not classified as a dinosaur because of its watery habitat, four paddle- like limbs and a vertically-oriented fishlike tail."

"'I don't think they're saying it's a missing link between dinosaurs and crocodiles, they're suggesting that it is more related to the largest species of Plesiosaurus. This was clearly a good, lethal killer,' Baum said."

"The Dakosaurus was not a fish, either, as scientists say it would have regularly surfaced to gasp oxygen and then would dive into the ocean."

"Recent Dakosaurus research comes from a complete skull found in Argentina in 1996, studied by Diego Pol of Ohio State University, Zulma Gasparini of Argentina's National University of La Plata, and their colleagues."

(Editor's Note: During the Jurassic Period, the Andes mountains of South America were the floor of a shallow sea.)


"A judge ruled that a former security guard who was fired for seeing a ghost cannot be denied unemployment benefits."

"According to a court ruling released this week, the former guard's allegation of apparitions does not constitute misconduct."

"The issue started on September 11 (2005) when Wade Gallegos alerted his superiors at Neighborhood Patrol of Urbandale (Iowa) that ghosts were haunting a neighborhood he was guarding."

"The supervisor arrived at the scene, where Gallegos showed him where the ghost was apparently standing."

"The supervisor claimed he saw nothing and fired Gallegos five hours later."

"The company found no signs of drug use or alcohol."

"Neighborhood Patrol challenged Gallegos' application for unemployment benefits," claiming that the guard was allegedly "guilty of misconduct."

"'Such beliefs do render the claimant unfit to act as a security guard,'" the judge in the case ruled, "'The employer cannot have security guards who see ghosts and apparitions, and then the employer sends out the patrol cars.'"

"However, the judge ruled, seeing ghosts is not the type of misconduct that can deny Gallegos from receiving benefits." (See the Des Moines Register for November 10, 2005, "Security guard fired for seeing ghosts." Many thanks to Karl Drown for this newspaper article.)


"A mythical monster, believed by some to have lived for hundreds of years in the murky depths" of a lake in Sweden, "is now fair game for hunters-if they can find it."

"Authorities have agreed to life the endangered species protection on" the fabled Lake Storsjo Monster.

"Hundreds of people claim to have spotted a large serpent-like creature in Lake Storsjo," in Sweden's northwestern province of Jamtland, "and, in 1986, the regional council put it on a list of endangered animals."

"But a government watchdog challenged the decision, saying such protection was hardly necessary for a creature whose existence has not been proven."

"The regional council agreed to remove the listing this month (November 2005) but declined to rule out the possibility that the monster lives in the 300-foot (90- meter) deep lake."

"'It exists, inasmuch as it lives in the minds of the people,' the council's chief legal adviser Peter Lif said about the purported beast. 'But I guess we'll have to agree that it cannot be proven scientifically, and that it should not be listed as an endangered species.'"

"The so-called Lake Storsjo Monster was first mentioned in print in 1635. Hundreds of sightings have been reported since then. Some people describe the creature as a snakelike animal with a dog's head and fins on its neck. But no clear image of it has been captured on camera."

"Storsjo monster aficionados said lifting the endangered species protection was a mistake, and they appeared insulted by the decision."

"'We are not fanatics,' said Christof Berko of the Storsjo Monster Association. 'We see this as a very interesting phenomenon that we unfortunately have not been able to document." (See the newspaper Aftenpost for November 11, 2005, "Hunting season opens for mythical creature." Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for this newspaper article.)

Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-UFO Roundup." See you then!

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in which the item first appeared.


Site Map | Home | UFO Roundup Vol.10 | UFO Roundup | Report a Sighting
Site Search | Submissions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy

URL: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1044.shtml

Copyright 1996 - 2012 UFOINFO
Articles are Copyright of the Author or Compiler